Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fondue posted:

The Luddite 4 modpack will be coming out in the next 24hrs. It's a magic-only modpack centered on Thaumcraft and Ars Magica.

I've never used Ars Magica, but I'm really interested in Thaumcraft 4. Are there any servers planned for it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

m2pt5 posted:

I've never used Ars Magica, but I'm really interested in Thaumcraft 4. Are there any servers planned for it yet?

I've been working on a Toast Crunchy-like pack to keep us crafting while GhostSeven figures out a proper 1.6 version of Crunchy. Waiting on a couple more mods to finish up, then I'll have to setup a server to start testing it in multiplayer. Aside from TE which is a requirement of the pack, I'm trying to round up new versions or replacements for some of the other things we've grown to love like Highlands and Artifice. Those then have to be tested, playtested...

Basically, it's going to be a short while yet if you're looking for something with tech in it. If not, Luddite 4 is coming soon(tm).

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

m2pt5 posted:

The post you quoted was his nice way of telling you that the pack is available and the server will be available within the next 6 to 30 hours. You gotta speak up Fondue!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Abe Frohman posted:

The post you quoted was his nice way of telling you that the pack is available and the server will be available within the next 6 to 30 hours. You gotta speak up Fondue!

Yeah, we only get mad Rutibex because he posts 5 packs in 3 days and each one is updated 2x a day.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

mechaet posted:

Basically, it's going to be a short while yet if you're looking for something with tech in it. If not, Luddite 4 is coming soon(tm).
To be perfectly honest I could use a break from tech mods. I'm sure I'll want to get back to them eventually, but magic should keep me interested.

Abe Frohman posted:

I see. Thanks for the link!

Edit: Also, I'm having a problem with the Technic Launcher - when I set it to use beta builds, it won't start up; I get the Technic Launcher splash with the progress bar, the bar fills, then the program closes itself. I had to manually change the config to use stable to make it load at all. I'm downloading the latest Java update now to see if it helps. E: Didn't help.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 16, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So uh, archimedes ships?

Archimedes's Ships :allears:

I am grinning so hard right now. The non-vanilla stuff needs to be packed away when its done i think, but this? This is loving awesome.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Abe Frohman posted:

I didn't want to post anything until the modpack was solid and the server was up. I'll make a nice post with a summary of the pack and link to the server we're using to test/drive it. Now that Thaumcraft is fixed for servers I'll be updating the modpack and server and testing to make sure it deploys properly.

Shadowmorn posted:

So uh, archimedes ships?

Archimedes's Ships :allears:

I am grinning so hard right now. The non-vanilla stuff needs to be packed away when its done i think, but this? This is loving awesome.
God I love that! Thank Cerevisiae for pointing the mod out!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, I am never using Atomic Science's fusion power again. It was working good for the last week and a half to two weeks, even if it was slowly devouring all of my tin despite me building multiple mining lasers and strip mining the Twilight Forest (no one goes there, so no one would mind me making 64x64 boreholes with quarries).

Then all of a sudden it stopped outputting steam. So I tried to mess around with it. No matter what I did, it wouldn't make more steam for my system to run. I tried breaking it apart and rebuliding it a few times, nothing happened. At least until the one time I forgot to shut it down by breaking the fusion generator block.

Guys, let me tell you, a plasma leak is a bad thing. The plasma doesn't just instantly gib you, but it also glitches the gently caress out of any power armor you're wearing. Which wouldn't be so bad if the Toasty Pack weren't also running the OpenBlocks mod which stuffs your inventory in a ghost in a grave block instead of scattering it on the ground for the plasma to vaporize. Me and a friend have taken turns trying to get our inventory back. Any time we get a bad piece of power armor in our inventory we instantly explode as if the armor was as hot as the surface of the sun. It makes our client lock up so we have to force-close it as we sit there in the server with around -2000 health. When we reconnect we then instantly burn to death again before being allowed to move.

So between the fusion generator suddenly glitching out on me, the frustrating resources issue just trying to fuel it, and this latest glitch, I'm not touching Fusion again. Time for something safe, like giant banks of electrolyzers.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You know Twilight Forest used to outright disable a lot of tech stuff?

Not sure how extensive it is, maybe an update put some of your stuff on the proscribed list. Might go some way towards explaining your, uh, misfortune.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Guys, let me tell you, a plasma leak is a bad thing. The plasma doesn't just instantly gib you, but it also glitches the gently caress out of any power armor you're wearing. Which wouldn't be so bad if the Toasty Pack weren't also running the OpenBlocks mod which stuffs your inventory in a ghost in a grave block instead of scattering it on the ground for the plasma to vaporize. Me and a friend have taken turns trying to get our inventory back. Any time we get a bad piece of power armor in our inventory we instantly explode as if the armor was as hot as the surface of the sun. It makes our client lock up so we have to force-close it as we sit there in the server with around -2000 health. When we reconnect we then instantly burn to death again before being allowed to move.

So between the fusion generator suddenly glitching out on me, the frustrating resources issue just trying to fuel it, and this latest glitch, I'm not touching Fusion again. Time for something safe, like giant banks of electrolyzers.

That happened to me once too, except the power armor only killed me if I tried to put it back on. Is it automatically being equipped? Perhaps you could wear some iron armor or something so it doesn't throw itself into your empty armor slots.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

McFrugal posted:

That happened to me once too, except the power armor only killed me if I tried to put it back on. Is it automatically being equipped? Perhaps you could wear some iron armor or something so it doesn't throw itself into your empty armor slots.
A friend accidentally killed himself by overusing his railgun and when I picked up his armor (I already had stuff equipped so it was just in my inventory) I caught on fire.

tooterfish posted:

You know Twilight Forest used to outright disable a lot of tech stuff?

Not sure how extensive it is, maybe an update put some of your stuff on the proscribed list. Might go some way towards explaining your, uh, misfortune.
Pretty sure that was just something dw20 did for "story".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Really? Oh well, ignore me then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, we only get mad Rutibex because he posts 5 packs in 3 days and each one is updated 2x a day.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that rule only applies to me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
People are going crazy trying to put together a moonquest modpack because of the new yogs series. There's a working one I think but there's no sound due to the beta launcher.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Sultan Tarquin posted:

People are going crazy trying to put together a moonquest modpack because of the new yogs series. There's a working one I think but there's no sound due to the beta launcher.

Yeah, the no sound thing is killing me. I was mining and for some reason I kept making little hopping motions. I thought my keyboard was broken.

Turns out a skelle was shooting me, and without the sound I didn't realize.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

McFrugal posted:

Sometimes it only happened if we put it on, sometimes it spread to new pieces of power armor we might be wearing (I kept trying to make new pieces in the middle of all this like an idiot), sometimes it would just happen if we picked up the stuff. I eventually managed to get all the bugged pieces thrown in the ocean to despawn.

But yeah, base is now powered by a massive blob of electrolyzers. I'll probably add a yellorite reactor to use up all the yellorite my quarries exposed if I ever, finally trash enough data for an AE singularity. Thankfully having previously been running constant quarries and 4 mining lasers to try to feed my fusion reactor with enough tin means I'm more or less post-scarcity for most resources, and having taught the AE computer to auto-craft most of the power suit bits makes replacing lost armor easy.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
This might just be all the Terraria I've been playing talking, but has there ever been a 'Social Armor' mod for Minecraft? It actually looks like there hasn't, which surprises me, but I'm wondering if I just missed it. Being able to at even just hide armor while still having the benefits would be pretty cool. I know that Modular Powersuits can do it, but some flexibility would be pretty nice for servers.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
I finally got some spare time (read: meds) to work on some stuff.

Fortis posted:

This might just be all the Terraria I've been playing talking, but has there ever been a 'Social Armor' mod for Minecraft? It actually looks like there hasn't, which surprises me, but I'm wondering if I just missed it. Being able to at even just hide armor while still having the benefits would be pretty cool. I know that Modular Powersuits can do it, but some flexibility would be pretty nice for servers.
Harken Scythe has some spectral dye or something but it only works on dyeable armor (ie. leather). I definitely have plans but of course they'll remain secondary to schoolwork, life maintenance, and much-needed veg time.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 16, 2013

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Clairetic posted:

<awesome stuff>

Why do you have to be so awesome, Muse? Seriously.

Oh and if anyone is following TE - I hear a couple of people play it or something - Zeldo is back and has taken a machete to the codebase. I guess he went on a spiritual journey or something, but he's an absolute monster right now. Look for CoFHCore (and the new sub-mods) soon, and TE within a couple weeks hopefully. Might even be version 3.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

KingLemming posted:

Why do you have to be so awesome, Muse? Seriously.

Oh and if anyone is following TE - I hear a couple of people play it or something - Zeldo is back and has taken a machete to the codebase. I guess he went on a spiritual journey or something, but he's an absolute monster right now. Look for CoFHCore (and the new sub-mods) soon, and TE within a couple weeks hopefully. Might even be version 3.

Is TE still closed-source?

Other than that :dance:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Shukaro posted:

Is TE still closed-source?

Other than that :dance:

Yeah, and I'm leaving the decision to open it (or not) to the new team. I'll abstain from that particular vote. CoFHLib, which allows for most of the cool/optimized things that TE does, will be open source, however. Already is, but it's in flux.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Good to see this idea of yours (if it is that idea im thinking of) wasn't left for dead. :haw:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Alright, I have a quick question about AE. If I set up a long crafting chain, generally something that requires waiting for something to be cooked/pulverized like making a bunch of processor chips, the computer system will cancel the process midway through. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have a sneaking suspicion it's because my AE is sharing furnaces and pulverizers with the auto-processing output of my laser drill, so sometimes the furnace ends up occupied with something like nether quartz. Of course my hunch doesn't explain stuff like the system hanging when I'm asking it to use minium stones to make ink sacs or other dye from lapis and bonemeal, that's just lots of basic crafting.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shadowmorn posted:

Are you sure about that? I read that it just has some vanilla blocks it makes sure not to absorb into the ship entity, so I'm under the impression that non-vanilla blocks would go on just fine since those aren't on the list of things not to grab.

EDIT: Surely you can test it with something like marble?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 16, 2013

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Alkydere posted:

Alright, I have a quick question about AE. If I set up a long crafting chain, generally something that requires waiting for something to be cooked/pulverized like making a bunch of processor chips, the computer system will cancel the process midway through. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have a sneaking suspicion it's because my AE is sharing furnaces and pulverizers with the auto-processing output of my laser drill, so sometimes the furnace ends up occupied with something like nether quartz. Of course my hunch doesn't explain stuff like the system hanging when I'm asking it to use minium stones to make ink sacs or other dye from lapis and bonemeal, that's just lots of basic crafting.

If you go into another dimension (Dimensional Doors, Mystcraft books, Space/Moon), it will stop crafting.
If you make a change to the AE network (by a dark cable getting a redstone signal, or adding/removing a cable/interface/bus/etc), it will stop crafting.
If you go far enough away from the chunk with your network and you don't have it chunk loaded, it will stop crafting.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

If you go into another dimension (Dimensional Doors, Mystcraft books, Space/Moon), it will stop crafting.
If you make a change to the AE network (by a dark cable getting a redstone signal, or adding/removing a cable/interface/bus/etc), it will stop crafting.
If you go far enough away from the chunk with your network and you don't have it chunk loaded, it will stop crafting.

See, the problem isn't the chunk being unloaded. I'll stand there and look right at the crafting monitor and watch as it suddenly unloads the project midway through.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Alkydere posted:

See, the problem isn't the chunk being unloaded. I'll stand there and look right at the crafting monitor and watch as it suddenly unloads the project midway through.

Is it doing something terrible like making a cable go dark/lighting a cable automatically? That's the equivalent of connecting things to/disconnecting things from the network, and it cancels any open build orders.

Also if you run out of space, orders get cancelled.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mechaet posted:

Is it doing something terrible like making a cable go dark/lighting a cable automatically? That's the equivalent of connecting things to/disconnecting things from the network, and it cancels any open build orders.

Also if you run out of space, orders get cancelled.

Not messing with multiple networks, or dark cable. It's one big network. It will just cut out mid-crafting. It did it just now in the middle of crafting a stack of microblock covers.

It's mostly an annoyance, but it's one I'd like to at least understand.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Not messing with multiple networks, or dark cable. It's one big network. It will just cut out mid-crafting. It did it just now in the middle of crafting a stack of microblock covers.

How big is this network, and is it all chunk-loaded?

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I had an unconfigured storage bus hooked up to bee chest that caused that. Might be something similar for you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mechaet posted:

How big is this network, and is it all chunk-loaded?

4x4 crafter.
1 server rack (full)
1 ME chest used for trash that will be converted into black holes.
2 Pulverizers, 1 just takes things from the laser that need to be pulverized (quartz, gemstone ores), one is used by the AE system for recipies that need something crushed.
2 Induction Furnaces, both are for smelting ore the laser drill outputs. I haven't figured out if the AE system will work with them on actual crafting (i.e. having it stick 1 silver and 1 gold in to get 2 electrum).
1 pair of quantum doohickeys to let my friend use my storage bus.
1 Mining Laser, which outputs into an ender chest that has an import bus facing it. Lets me carry an ender pouch when I go out exploring/cave diving to dump my loot into.
2 powered furnaces, each with 3 interfaces connected. Using them to double up on cooking recipies so the computer can speed things up a bit.

And everything but the other end of the quantum doohickey is chunk loaded...which might be the problem if the system stops crafting when parts are added/subtracted. But at the same time that makes no sense since at the time I'm the only person on the server, so the other end of the quantum connection shouldn't keep loading/unloading. Guess I'll stick a chunk-loader there and see what happens.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
How full is your storage? Not sure on the behaviour when it tries to craft and there's no space for the result in the AE network, but it might be worth looking into.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I gave up trying to figure out why my crafter stopped working after trying literally nothing to diagnose it. A piece of dark cable and a lever make a great reset switch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

4x4 crafter.
1 server rack (full)
1 ME chest used for trash that will be converted into black holes.
2 Pulverizers, 1 just takes things from the laser that need to be pulverized (quartz, gemstone ores), one is used by the AE system for recipies that need something crushed.
2 Induction Furnaces, both are for smelting ore the laser drill outputs. I haven't figured out if the AE system will work with them on actual crafting (i.e. having it stick 1 silver and 1 gold in to get 2 electrum).
1 pair of quantum doohickeys to let my friend use my storage bus.
1 Mining Laser, which outputs into an ender chest that has an import bus facing it. Lets me carry an ender pouch when I go out exploring/cave diving to dump my loot into.
2 powered furnaces, each with 3 interfaces connected. Using them to double up on cooking recipies so the computer can speed things up a bit.

And everything but the other end of the quantum doohickey is chunk loaded...which might be the problem if the system stops crafting when parts are added/subtracted. But at the same time that makes no sense since at the time I'm the only person on the server, so the other end of the quantum connection shouldn't keep loading/unloading. Guess I'll stick a chunk-loader there and see what happens.
Quantum bridge might be the problem. Nothing else should be unless you are getting a few covers but not the rest.

One thing I did notice is that ME loses track of component creation with furnaces sometimes. If I order 10,000 iron ingots I'll usually get closer to 5k-6k and it will think it finished them all. I don't think that is your problem, because the crafter will repeatedly order things it is missing for a larger item.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

How full is your storage? Not sure on the behaviour when it tries to craft and there's no space for the result in the AE network, but it might be worth looking into.

Got plenty of space left. Including an entire 64K drive that has 0 items in it at the bottom.

Though part of that is because Singularities take a lot of items.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Got plenty of space left. Including an entire 64K drive that has 0 items in it at the bottom.

Though part of that is because Singularities take a lot of items.

Make a Crafting monitor and plonk it down on the network somewhere. Then order something and watch the screen.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, yup, chunkloader next to the other end of the quantum entangler doohickey worked like a charm. I can now craft 64K sticks to help feed the next singularity if I feel like it with no troubles.

Also, I just found out about the OpenBlocks tank. Holy poo poo, this is the best tank in the game.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

1.6 support is now in stable in the launcher!

That said stable is just a word so please report to me bugs you find.

You have one day before I leave forever for Amazon and someone else can fix them!

:)

Also Yogbox and Hack/Mine are retired because they don't work with the new launcher. If someone ever fixes them they can come back but for now they are dead. RIP

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

General Olloth posted:

1.6 support is now in stable in the launcher!
Hurrah, sound! Thanks for the hard work Olloth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
I haven't been able to run the launcher at all today, presumably since the update. It just opens up, the bar fills up and then nothing happens.

• Locked thread