Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
What's the standard for these kind of memberships in terms of their special releases like that, Catador Club, etc? Do they usually just allow you to buy one bottle of special releases, or multiple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

What's the standard for these kind of memberships in terms of their special releases like that, Catador Club, etc? Do they usually just allow you to buy one bottle of special releases, or multiple?

I think it varies from club to club, but from what I understand, the only beer in last year's Bruery RS that had an allotment of less than three bottles was Griffon Bruxellois.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Upland just announced a Barrel Society: http://secretbarrelsociety.wordpress.com/

edit: $250 and no bottles included? Not worth it.

2014 Membership $250:

The 2014 Membership will include the right to purchase 8 different Barrel-aged Sour beers (each bottle release includes (1) 750 ml bottles per release, with additional purchases available if the yield permits) to be released throughout the year.

Your membership also includes:
- 2014 Secret Barrel Society Certificate
- Two Upland Sour Program custom glasses
- First right of refusal for 2015 membership
- 1 free non-transferable general admission ticket to Sour Wild and Funk Fest
- Free entry to a special event for Secret Barrel Society Members

Every dollar generated through membership will bypass pockets and paychecks and go directly to growing our Sour Ale Program.

Please note, only your Sour reservation, not the purchase of your beer, is included in your membership fee. Your beer must still be purchased at a retail location (Indy or Bloomington) after it is released.

$250 for the right to purchase bottles (and two glasses) is awful. They should have at least thrown in some additional merchandise or lowered that price down.

Not that it matters - it will fill up and encourage others to offer the same.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The Bruery - Typically 4-6 bottle limit with bottles leftover with no limit on their online store. Beers like Chocolate Rain had few remaining bottles available after the initial allocation, others like Sour in the Rye with Kumquats were available a month or longer on their web store.

Crooked Stave - 3-6 bottle limits with extras available for a short time after initial orders are over. Extra bottles tend to sell out very quickly.

CCB El Catador - 1 bottle per membership, additional bottle available depending on how many bottles are leftover. Remaining bottles are available at the brewery if there are any leftover after each member has the chance to get two (this has only been the case with the one beer they've released)

J. Wakefield - 1 bottle per membership, no further info so far.

Zam posted:

$250 for the right to purchase bottles (and two glasses) is awful. They should have at least thrown in some additional merchandise or lowered that price down.

I'm not so sure this will be the case. I haven't heard from anybody that they purchased a membership so far. Some people actually ordered it without reading the fine details and didn't realize no bottles were included. They've already asked for refunds.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

CCB El Catador - 1 bottle per membership, additional bottle available depending on how many bottles are leftover. Remaining bottles are available at the brewery if there are any leftover after each member has the chance to get two (this has only been the case with the one beer they've released)

CCB has also released one Catador "exclusive" beer, of which only 1000 (of the 1500) members had a shot at. This was 110K+OT Batch 6. I'm assuming there will be more of these.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Does anyone know if there's anything interesting kicking around the Bruery store currently that a non-RS member could purchase that isn't part of the usual distribution? I've got this beer that someone really wanted to trade for and I think it's probably going to spoil (it was never great imo, but people want what they want despite warning. also it's got artificial flavors that apparently aren't really stable) before I can get him to just give me his drat address without asking for a trade in return.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 16, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The Bruery - Typically 4-6 bottle limit with bottles leftover with no limit on their online store. Beers like Chocolate Rain had few remaining bottles available after the initial allocation, others like Sour in the Rye with Kumquats were available a month or longer on their web store.

Crooked Stave - 3-6 bottle limits with extras available for a short time after initial orders are over. Extra bottles tend to sell out very quickly.

J. Wakefield - 1 bottle per membership, no further info so far.

I'm not so sure this will be the case. I haven't heard from anybody that they purchased a membership so far. Some people actually ordered it without reading the fine details and didn't realize no bottles were included. They've already asked for refunds.

Crooked Stave for 2013 was 10x2 375 ml bottle releases with option for addtl purchase yield permitting, but the base 20 bottles were included in the price of membership from what I understand. There was also the requisite stemware and whatnot.

Honestly, that's $15 / bottle, discounting the various glassware, etc. Not bad overall.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Eejit posted:

Crooked Stave for 2013 was 10x2 375 ml bottle releases with option for addtl purchase yield permitting, but the base 20 bottles were included in the price of membership from what I understand. There was also the requisite stemware and whatnot.

Honestly, that's $15 / bottle, discounting the various glassware, etc. Not bad overall.

Yeah, if they open it up this year, I think I'm going in on a membership with a local friend for bottles. All of their fruited variations sound awesome this year - Cherry Origins, Le'brett D'Or Blackberry, L'Brett D'Or Plum, Persica Blend 1, Persica Blend 2.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

ChickenArise posted:

Does anyone know if there's anything interesting kicking around the Bruery store currently that a non-RS member could purchase that isn't part of the usual distribution? I've got this beer that someone really wanted to trade for and I think it's probably going to spoil (it was never great imo, but people want what they want despite warning. also it's got artificial flavors that apparently aren't really stable) before I can get him to just give me his drat address without asking for a trade in return.

Cacaonut and possibly Windowsill.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Zam posted:

Cacaonut and possibly Windowsill.

Thanks! Windowsill sounds like it has potential and at this point I'd even be game for trying that other diabetes thing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah, finally back in North Carolina for a few weeks. I'm stationed in houston right now, so what's some good beers in North Carolina to check out? I just picked up victory dirt wolf and god drat, that is a tasty beer.

For reference, I like IPA's and imperial reds.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Zam posted:

I think you're failing to read between the lines. This is important:

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Upland has commented that it's illegal in Indiana to pre-sell beer for some reason. They should have charged $100 for the right to purchase the bottles plus admission into their fest and glasses, I could definitely justify that.
Upland's $250 membership fee might be the equivalent of the conspicuous $80 salad on a California restaurant's menu. Yeah, you California guys know what I'm talking about. The salad that was added to the menu the day the foie gras ban went in.

You buy the salad, and the chef just happens to have this chunk of foie he'll serve you with the salad in appreciation for your patronage. He's not selling the foie - that's illegal, perish the thought a chef in a fine dining establishment would break the law. You can't buy it, he can't sell it. But it can be given as a gift.

I'll be shocked if members picking up their purchases don't find little "gifts" from the brewers along with whatever they ordered.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Yeah, if they open it up this year, I think I'm going in on a membership with a local friend for bottles. All of their fruited variations sound awesome this year - Cherry Origins, Le'brett D'Or Blackberry, L'Brett D'Or Plum, Persica Blend 1, Persica Blend 2.

Yeah, I told KudosX I was considering splitting a membership with my dad. At $150, we'd be getting some great beer and swag and since we live here we could take advantage of local events as well. Tempting.

bartolimu posted:

Upland's $250 membership fee might be the equivalent of the conspicuous $80 salad on a California restaurant's menu. Yeah, you California guys know what I'm talking about. The salad that was added to the menu the day the foie gras ban went in.

You buy the salad, and the chef just happens to have this chunk of foie he'll serve you with the salad in appreciation for your patronage. He's not selling the foie - that's illegal, perish the thought a chef in a fine dining establishment would break the law. You can't buy it, he can't sell it. But it can be given as a gift.

I'll be shocked if members picking up their purchases don't find little "gifts" from the brewers along with whatever they ordered.

Really? Because while I know that at the ground level the brewing industry is pretty chill, I wouldn't put it past the people that want to make money from brewing to just be very ready to screw the consumer. If you can cash in on hype, why not? I, for one, am not going to rely on the good will of someone selling me consumer goods, no matter how fine those goods are. You're paying for the bottles, the $250 membership fee is on top of that, that's hype money. And good for them if they can get away with it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I really don't understand breweries mad desire to turn the beer industry into the wine industry.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I really don't understand breweries mad desire to turn the beer industry into the wine industry.

Let me explain it in the most basic of terms:

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bartolimu posted:

In an industry as highly and ridiculously regulated as the beer industry, I would be very surprised if that were the case.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

bartolimu posted:

You know, I actually considered this as well, and I'll be curious to see if it plays out this way. There's many people out there who have no issue donating to a brewery's expansion, regardless of how many bottles are actually included in the cost. I definitely expect to see some gift bottles, however, I'll be curious to see if the number totals up to the full membership cost.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

As Tigren mention, money, but it's advantageous for the consumer as well. I'd much rather pay a little more and guarantee bottles of more limited barrel aged offerings than run all over the city when KBS, BCBS, or anything else that's limited or sought after is released.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The thought that the cost of the Upland bottles would be like $5 has been bothering me all day.

crazyfish posted:

In an industry as highly and ridiculously regulated as the beer industry, I would be very surprised if that were the case.

They'd still have to charge for the bottles. But there's no regulation on how much...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

Why? Where's the harm if a brewery wants to specialize/stay small/limit output? I can't stand the HF dude but if his choice is to keep doing what he's doing, that's his business and the people who bitch about it can gently caress off. I just wish he wouldn't bitch so much about the rigors of beer fame...

Also, I will point out that the biggest reason for a decline in macro beer sales in the last two decades isn't due to craft beer but to an increase in cheaply available wines. I bet around the turn of the century, some guy said "I really don't understand wineries' mad desire to turn the wine industry into the beer industry."

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

The thought that the cost of the Upland bottles would be like $5 has been bothering me all day.

They'd still have to charge for the bottles. But there's no regulation on how much...

According to Upland, there is.

http://secretbarrelsociety.wordpress.com/

quote:

It is illegal in Indiana to pre-sell or discount beer in any fashion. This disables us from being able to offer the same type of membership benefits that other breweries use to structure similar offers.

edit: If they wanted to do things in the most above-board, clearest way possible that people wouldn't bitch (as much) about, they would just drop the price by $100. Out of state people who wouldn't use the event tickets might get pissed, but it'd be a definite win for locals. Would be nice to give something back to the people that keep your brewery alive.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 17, 2013

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Looks like goose island released their sours into the wild, I found the three sisters and Gillian an Halia at my local store. Any idea why Gillian was $30 when the rest were $20, including Halia?
Was there that much less gillian produced?
Both were incredible when Ubik gave us a taste of them. I picked them both up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I cannot read today... I missed the "discount" part of that.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

umop apisdn posted:

Looks like goose island released their sours into the wild, I found the three sisters and Gillian an Halia at my local store. Any idea why Gillian was $30 when the rest were $20, including Halia?
Was there that much less gillian produced?
Both were incredible when Ubik gave us a taste of them. I picked them both up.

Thirty loving dollars for Gillian? I'm sorry, GI, Gillian is good but no way it's $30/765 good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

AC Golden finally put out a Berliner Weiss. No idea what the price is, but I kinda don't want to pay $20 for an untested BW. Hopefully it's cheaper, if it is I'm willing to give it a shot.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

danbanana posted:

$250 + 8 bottles x $25/bottle - $40 ticket to SW&FF - $15 in glasses = $395. Or $50 per bottle. Plus gas to pick up or a trustee...

This is probably too rich for my blood, but it's VERY tempting. They're my favorite sour brewer in the U.S.- maybe in the world.

$395 will get you a very awesome box of Cantillon shipped directly to your doorstep. That would be my move.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Opened a Two Brothers Tangent. It is unbelieveably bland and a total drainpour. Extremely disappointing.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

Opened a Two Brothers Tangent. It is unbelieveably bland and a total drainpour. Extremely disappointing.

Kind of like this Stillwater "Why Can't IBU" except it's not a drainpour. The aroma is lacking, there's just nothing going on outside of hints of citrus. The flavor would be great if it were listed as a saison, it's dry as heck and lots of lemon with sweet candied orange backing, but I just don't enjoy it. It tastes like it's missing something. If this were Brett'd or had a touch some substance other than lemon and dryness.

Edit: Best hop pun name ever though, I've got the Cure in my head now.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

The flavor would be great if it were listed as a saison,

Isn't pretty much everything Stillwater does a saison?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Craiglist beer sales are the best. Why waste your money on an Upland Reserve Membership when you could get 5 of these??

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/clt/4131775727.html

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Craiglist beer sales are the best. Why waste your money on an Upland Reserve Membership when you could get 5 of these??

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/clt/4131775727.html

I bought a King Henry for $40 off Craigslist once. I regret nothing.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

wattershed posted:

If for some reason you can't find any more of this, let me know...seems nobody can move it off their shelves in my area.

Thanks, but found 2 bottles of the GD 19th Anniversary shoved to the back of a shelf at Total Wine. Yay TW for your terrible shelf policing!

Also asked about Le Terrior despite the fact everyone else in NC had it on the shelves and gone weeks ago, because they sometimes get poo poo in and forget to put it out for weeks. Didn't have it, but the guy "thought he could get it in a couple of weeks," so I put in an order for 4 bottles. Whatever, maybe they'll get some shipped from a store elsewhere, they've surprised me before on actually being able to special order random rare-ish beers. They may be terrible, but they've got buying power!

nwin posted:

Ah, finally back in North Carolina for a few weeks. I'm stationed in houston right now, so what's some good beers in North Carolina to check out? I just picked up victory dirt wolf and god drat, that is a tasty beer.

For reference, I like IPA's and imperial reds.

Where about in NC? Wicked Weed if you're anywhere near Asheville. Foothill's is bottling Hoppyum and Seeing Double pretty widely now and both are a lot better than they used to be (not sure how long you've been gone or if you've ever had them). Olde Hickory's Death by Hops is pretty widely distributed, if you like a real palate wrecker of a beer. I always like Carolina Brewery's Flagship IPA (in cans) or Mother Earth's Sisters of the Moon, both are more English style IPAs. Non-NC based, Enjoy By 11.12.13 is out at a lot of places right now. Imperial Reds I don't care for, and not sure I can think of a single NC example, although I'm sure there must be some.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

Isn't pretty much everything Stillwater does a saison?

I suppose you're right, I mean I knew it would be a hoppy saison, I guess it's just not what I was expecting. As it warms up I get some mango, I guess they used Citra hops. It's a solid beer, but underwhelming. If I'm being honest though, I felt underwhelmed by every beer that I've had by them. They're all technically good, but I don't understand the huge love they get. Palates though.

Edit: Free Will's Coffee Oatmeal Brown is excellent though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 17, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sublimer posted:

$395 will get you a very awesome box of Cantillon shipped directly to your doorstep. That would be my move.

I'd probably enjoy the upland stuff more...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

I'd probably enjoy the upland stuff more...

By my calculations, you could buy a 12 bottle 750ml case of 3F gueuze for $225 shipped from Belgium. Not really cheaper than buying off the shelf, but hey, it's delicious.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

What about this is anything like the wine industry? If any winery or wine club tried to charge you $250 for access to some events, glassware, and the mere opportunity to buy releases at full price (Upland said that they can't do discounts), they would get laughed at.

Trouzorz
Feb 24, 2009

crazyfish posted:

I bought a King Henry for $40 off Craigslist once. I regret nothing.

I had no idea craigslist beer was a thing. From the poo poo I've seen so far that King Henry was nothing short of a steal. Makes me wonder how much of this actually gets sold.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

My buddy and I came to the conclusion that they only aged it on Brett. Which doesn't really add any sourness it seems after 3 years. On the plus side, it smelled alright. But yea, overall a huge disappointment.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Retemnav posted:

Where about in NC? Wicked Weed if you're anywhere near Asheville. Foothill's is bottling Hoppyum and Seeing Double pretty widely now and both are a lot better than they used to be (not sure how long you've been gone or if you've ever had them). Olde Hickory's Death by Hops is pretty widely distributed, if you like a real palate wrecker of a beer. I always like Carolina Brewery's Flagship IPA (in cans) or Mother Earth's Sisters of the Moon, both are more English style IPAs. Non-NC based, Enjoy By 11.12.13 is out at a lot of places right now. Imperial Reds I don't care for, and not sure I can think of a single NC example, although I'm sure there must be some.

Thanks! I picked up the hoppyum [never had it before] and something called surfin Buddha by starpoint? I'll definitely look for death by hops-I saw it but didn't grab it.

I'm in the Greensboro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

My buddy and I came to the conclusion that they only aged it on Brett. Which doesn't really add any sourness it seems after 3 years. On the plus side, it smelled alright. But yea, overall a huge disappointment.

The bottle did specifically note brett and didn't mention anything else. My main problem with it wasn't the lack of sour so much as it was the complete and utter lack of flavour of any kind.