Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KodiakRS posted:

Depends on the size of the group and the people in it. Riding with 1-2 good riders who you know well can be a great time. Riding with 5+ good riders is like hearding cats. Riding with 1 or more lovely riders makes you want to ride off a cliff.

Yeah. Riding with my best friend or dad was always a blast. It was fun trying to out-dong pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I arrived home this evening to find that some cocksucking mainlander backed into my bike, knocked it over and totalled the front end, and drove off leaving it lying there in a pile of gasoline and shredded rain cover all day. Since I have no hope of tracking down who did it, my deductible is $700.

Broken clutch handle, tweaked forks, massive dent in my gas tank that nearly punctured it, gas stripping on the paint, lord only knows what else. I suspect ICBC is going to try and just write it off since it's such a duct-taped together deathtrap already. :suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rime posted:

I arrived home this evening to find that some cocksucking mainlander backed into my bike, knocked it over and totalled the front end, and drove off leaving it lying there in a pile of gasoline and shredded rain cover all day. Since I have no hope of tracking down who did it, my deductible is $700.

Broken clutch handle, tweaked forks, massive dent in my gas tank that nearly punctured it, gas stripping on the paint, lord only knows what else. I suspect ICBC is going to try and just write it off since it's such a duct-taped together deathtrap already. :suicide:

Aww dude, that sucks :(

chia
Dec 23, 2005
All of you saying group rides suck are doing it wrong. You need some non-retarded people, a leader who knows where he's going and what he's doing, nice roads and then just let everyone ride as fast as they want to (if you want to go faster then go in front, if slower go to the back), just make sure the guy behind you sees you make the next turn so no one gets lost and everyone ends up at the same place.

Have a break every hour or so, stop for lunch, ride some more, maybe one more coffee break, ride some more. The best way to spend a day, IMO. The largest group we had this summer was maybe 30-40 bikes and everyone had a blast.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

chia posted:

All of you saying group rides suck are doing it wrong. You need some non-retarded people, a leader who knows where he's going and what he's doing, nice roads and then just let everyone ride as fast as they want to (if you want to go faster then go in front, if slower go to the back), just make sure the guy behind you sees you make the next turn so no one gets lost and everyone ends up at the same place.

Have a break every hour or so, stop for lunch, ride some more, maybe one more coffee break, ride some more. The best way to spend a day, IMO. The largest group we had this summer was maybe 30-40 bikes and everyone had a blast.

That sounds like a lot of work to ride by yourself.

A fun group ride is an open trackday. Once you do that, there's nothing that'll ever bring you back to "normal" street riding.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Well that's one way of seeing it :v:

I guess my point was there are different ways to ride in a group and while most of them suck maybe not all. The way we do it combines riding by yourself and having the social aspect and safety of the group. It's nice to have someone help you if you blow a tire/crash the bike/just wanna chat etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

chia posted:

Well that's one way of seeing it :v:

I guess my point was there are different ways to ride in a group and while most of them suck maybe not all. The way we do it combines riding by yourself and having the social aspect and safety of the group. It's nice to have someone help you if you blow a tire/crash the bike/just wanna chat etc.

Honestly - I don't deny the fun of going out and riding with a casual group of friends. I have one friend who organizes group rides, does a really good job of it, and has had 2 crashes in 6 years of organizing rides.

But most of the time, someone starts to red mist, people get in pissing contests, and it goes downhill fast. Rides like yours are the exception, not the rule, and after awhile I just got really tired of going to get the truck to pick up someone's crashed bike because the egos and bikes started to collide.

Once I got passed on the outside of a corner while on what was supposed to be an 80% speed training ride by a guy on an R1 who then promptly blew off the road. :downs: That's why generally these days for group rides it's less that 5 people so I know them and know that I'll probably be the squiddiest rider in the group, or just signing up for the same trackday (ideally one with no groups).

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Yeah absolutely 100% agreed. Most people are cunts, after all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't do group rides because I hate traffic and I hate being stuck behind someone else when I'm out riding for fun. Even if they're averaging the same speed that I would like to go, they don't slow down for corners and accelerate out of them at the same pace as me, whether it's faster or slower.

Riding alone lets me set my own pace and ride how I want to ride, sometimes I want to attack corners, sometimes I just want to cruise. Finding someone else with matching pace is practically impossible, never mind finding a whole group of riders with matching pace.

Riding alone, the only rider I have to keep up with or wait for is myself.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The only group ride I attend is a massive (700+ bike) charity ride out to send seriously (sometimes terminally) ill kids and their families on camping holidays. It's organised and supported by some of my buddies who are in local biker clubs and they work with the police to organise it. Any shitheel behaviour on the ride is likely to get you chewed out and banned for life from the local biker clubhouses, which are awesome places to drink (cheap/safe/quiet/open-til-dawn).

Last year one gixxer bro ahead of me decides to pull a big wheelie, twelve o'clocks it and comes off. I only saw one bike stopped for him, it was one of the bikers shouting at him for being such a prick while he sat on the ground clutching his rashed up leg next to his totalled bike, while the rest of the column rode past slowly making jerk-off hand motions, it was hilarious.

Rime posted:

I arrived home this evening to find that some cocksucking mainlander backed into my bike, knocked it over and totalled the front end, and drove off leaving it lying there in a pile of gasoline and shredded rain cover all day.

Aw poo poo, just remembered how much work you did on that bike. Condolences :ohdear:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Rime posted:

Dude, that loving sucks. Sorry. :sympathy:

As for group rides, I like five and under. More than that you start increasing the oval office quotient beyond tolerances. That and it's harder to keep a group together.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

A shitbag backed over your classic bike on the island? Dogg you got Josh Jacksoned.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

But most of the time, someone starts to red mist, people get in pissing contests, and it goes downhill fast. Rides like yours are the exception, not the rule, and after awhile I just got really tired of going to get the truck to pick up someone's crashed bike because the egos and bikes started to collide.

Yeah, this can happen really quickly, maybe worse with newbs. Earlier this summer I took a friend on his first 'backroad' ride. I lead us with the thought that I could park it in tricky corners and point out problems in the road, then once he knew the road somewhat, we would switch positions and I'd let him set his pace.

That fantastic plan lasted all of 5 corners once we turned onto the fun road. I led him on a 55mph limit road, thru a turn/kink that I probably do 70 on average, and that day I was going about 40-45. He didn't make the turn, a typical case of 'I'm not going to make it...I'm looking at the spot off the road that I think I'll go of...Surprise! I ran off at that spot'.

Despite all of my telling him to 'ride his own ride' and that I'll wait for him, he still felt the need to try to keep up. He later told me he was riding at "90%" trying to keep up with me. He's a brand new rider and we weren't riding at more than a cruiser pace but he still felt the need to ride out of his comfort zone to try to prove something.

I take blame too, I think I've forgotten just what it's like to be a completely new rider and I could have gone easier or done things different. I know that he's a super competitive person and I should have thought of that. It just sucks that it happened. Part of trying to get some friends into riding was that I'd hopefully have a few buddies that ride like I do, and we could go have some fun together. Unfortunately he hasn't ridden with me since the crash and I'm starting to think that it isn't a coincidence or scheduling conflict....

Like many here, I haven't really found a group that I enjoy riding with. I've a different riding style to most of them. Similar to KozomoNaut.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't do group rides because I hate traffic and I hate being stuck behind someone else when I'm out riding for fun. Even if they're averaging the same speed that I would like to go, they don't slow down for corners and accelerate out of them at the same pace as me, whether it's faster or slower.

Riding alone lets me set my own pace and ride how I want to ride, sometimes I want to attack corners, sometimes I just want to cruise. Finding someone else with matching pace is practically impossible, never mind finding a whole group of riders with matching pace.

Riding alone, the only rider I have to keep up with or wait for is myself.

Basically, I'd like a 'group ride' of me and 3-4 friends who's competence and levelheadedness I can trust. I only knew a couple of those and they quit riding. Any group rides I do now usually have me spending half of the ride looking in the mirror and hoping the yahoo behind me doesn't run up my exhaust.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Z3n posted:

That sounds like a lot of work to ride by yourself.

A fun group ride is an open trackday. Once you do that, there's nothing that'll ever bring you back to "normal" street riding.
I think I stress too much on the track or something, cause I haven't had any fun doing it all summer long. To the point that I've been packing up the bike 2-3 sessions early. OTOH, I just had a multi-state camping trip to the tail of the dragon and back and it was amazing fun the whole time.

My trick to keeping group rides fun is to keep the group small, stay off highways, and have a destination, even if it's just a coffee shop 80 miles away or something.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"Having a destination" seems to be an either/or thing for riders too, I've noticed. There's a significant split between people who need somewhere to go and people who just go ride. I think that's probably part of why I don't like riding with others that much.

When I ride, most of the time I just go ride. Maybe 10% of the time I'll have a general destination, like "maybe I'll do 22 a few times today", but the path to get there is completely up in the air. Whenever I ride with someone else almost inevitably the question "So where are we headed?" comes up and it annoys me every time.

"I don't know." The only thing I worry about when I leave is what time I need to be back, and I usually miss that by 30 minutes anyway.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Our rides revolve around general destinations and gas stops. Some days we have a specific destination and other days we're pretty much like "let's go ride...someone pick a direction".

You guys just have lovely friends is all. You need better biker friends. The people I ride with are all close, personal friends who have at least 20 years on two wheels. We're all well past having anything to prove to anybody and none of our personal rides ever seem to be interfered with by having other friends going in the same direction at the same time. This weekend, I'm riding to a specific city for lunch as an excuse to ride in that general direction and back. I could do it on my own; but I can't imagine why I'd do that when I have friends of the same skill level to share a day on the road and a nice lunch with.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

Group rides suck.

This. gently caress group rides.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

chia posted:

I tried this, and quickly learned it's not for me at all. If I wanted to stop every hour I'd go run errands. 30-40 bikes in formation is too many, I don't want to be part of a parade, I want to go ride.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've never been much for group rides. Big ones are just scary and if it's only going to be two or three friends you may as well just take a car so you can talk while you go cruise around or whatever. I dunno, I've always thought it was kind of silly and wasteful to have a bunch of guys on separate machines going to the same place. Then again, I like road trips with friends and also would much rather go on spirited (not on a track in other words) rides in a sports car than on a bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

"Having a destination" seems to be an either/or thing for riders too, I've noticed. There's a significant split between people who need somewhere to go and people who just go ride. I think that's probably part of why I don't like riding with others that much.

Whenever I try this, I wind up in a bad part of town stuck in traffic. Sometimes I autopilot to work. It's never as much fun as it seems at first.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, you're probably not doing it right. I tend to end up five miles from the nearest gas station with three miles of gas in the tank.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I want to rant that all the good riding roads are at least ten miles from my house. Why can't they be one mile away instead? :reject:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sagebrush posted:

Today I want to rant that all the good riding roads are at least ten miles from my house. Why can't they be one mile away instead? :reject:

Look who's back!

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush you're still welcome in YOSPOS :hfive:

*CA hivemind comment*

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Has it gone full circle? Is the #irccrew the CA hivemind now?

Actually I know it isn't cause the grom isn't despised.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone who appreciates good riding and safe riding and has the gall to type out words about it is the CA Hivemind, IRC crew or not.

The CA Hivemind comment only seems to seriously come up when someone gets told they're being dumb and has no recourse but to say that it's some conspiracy against them.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

Basically, I'd like a 'group ride' of me and 3-4 friends who's competence and levelheadedness I can trust.behind me doesn't run up my exhaust.
Quoted the part of this I wanted to agree with. Never join large rides unless it's for charity or something. Fun rides require friends and similar riding speeds.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Was riding along with a slower new rider on Saturday when a dude on a pulls behind her. I wave him past, he waves as he passes at full throttle. So I decide I want to play, and I throttle up to keep up, leaving a very safe distance between.

Once the guy sees that I'm keeping pace with his ZX-10, he guns it, taking turns way hotter than he should, crossing double yellows, and just riding too fast for himself. I backed off and let him go so he wouldn't kill himself.

Dunno if he was dick-waving, or just couldn't believe that my Street Triple should be able to keep up, (or is maybe just a bad rider) but I was kinda hoping to make a new friend at the next gas station. :(

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 21, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sagebrush you're still welcome in YOSPOS :hfive:

*CA hivemind comment*

Wait why are we telling Sagebrush to get out again? I forget.

Edit: We? What's this we poo poo, I mean you all. Oh God... its already happening.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Was riding along with a slower new rider on Saturday when a dude on a pulls behind her. I wave him past, he waves as he passes at full throttle. So I decide I want to play, and I throttle up to keep up, leaving a very safe distance between.

Once the guy sees that I'm keeping pace with his ZX-10, he guns it, taking turns way hotter than he should, crossing double yellows, and just riding too fast for himself. I backed off and let him go so he wouldn't kill himself.

Dunno if he was dick-waving, or just couldn't believe that my Street Triple should be able to keep up, (or is maybe just a bad rider) but I was kinda hoping to make a new friend at the next gas station. :(
My idea of dick waving is blowing by someone at 90+ in a wheelie.

To me, it sounds like you waved a friendly dude by and then immediately dusted your newbie rider so you could go push friendly guy beyond his ability or comfort zone. You've gotta be careful with randoms, man. You don't know the guy's skill level, attitude, or experience. The inexperienced default to "go faster" when they get excited and that's dangerous for everybody. Glad your friend wasn't new enough to crash trying to keep up with you as you donged off into the sunset without her and I'm glad you stopped before you hurt somebody.

I have to give you some grief because I saw the same relatively innocent scenario end last year with a headon and a guy on a medflight. Kid had only been on a bike for a year, didn't know the guy who was pushing him, and was out of his head panicked by what he saw as "an aggressive rider chasing him for no apparent reason". The pusher wasn't too close for his own ability; but he was too close for the other rider's comfort.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

EvilSlug posted:

My idea of dick waving is blowing by someone at 90+ in a wheelie.

To me, it sounds like you waved a friendly dude by and then immediately dusted your newbie rider so you could go push friendly guy beyond his ability or comfort zone. You've gotta be careful with randoms, man. You don't know the guy's skill level, attitude, or experience. The inexperienced default to "go faster" when they get excited and that's dangerous for everybody. Glad your friend wasn't new enough to crash trying to keep up with you as you donged off into the sunset without her and I'm glad you stopped before you hurt somebody.

I have to give you some grief because I saw the same relatively innocent scenario end last year with a headon and a guy on a medflight. Kid had only been on a bike for a year, didn't know the guy who was pushing him, and was out of his head panicked by what he saw as "an aggressive rider chasing him for no apparent reason". The pusher wasn't too close for his own ability; but he was too close for the other rider's comfort.

Well the newbie was fine, and has no aspirations to do anything but ride her own pace. We've got a general "If I take off on the turns, I'll wait for you at straights and intersections" deal, so no worries about her. If I had doubts, I'd have let him go. I do take care of my newbs.

I left probably 50 yards of space or better between us, wasn't aggressively catching up, and basically just kept him in sight, hoping he wanted to play. I got the impression that it was an ego thing to keep ahead, cause he reacted kinda opposite of how I handle that sort of thing. I suppose you might right and maybe he felt pushed or something. I retract negative remarks toward that guy.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I think there's a difference between a group ride and riding with friends. I'm lucky enough to live and work near some awesome roads so get to dong it up on my own whenever the mood takes me.

At the weekends I love nothing more than going for a ride with friends because when I stop I actually have someone to chat too. We all ride at different paces but that's never caused a problem, the quicker guys bugger off up the road and us land tortoises catch them up eventually.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Well the newbie was fine, and has no aspirations to do anything but ride her own pace. We've got a general "If I take off on the turns, I'll wait for you at straights and intersections" deal, so no worries about her. If I had doubts, I'd have let him go. I do take care of my newbs.

I left probably 50 yards of space or better between us, wasn't aggressively catching up, and basically just kept him in sight, hoping he wanted to play. I got the impression that it was an ego thing to keep ahead, cause he reacted kinda opposite of how I handle that sort of thing. I suppose you might right and maybe he felt pushed or something. I retract negative remarks toward that guy.
I wasn't trying to break your balls (over anything but seemingly ditching a new rider, at least) and it isn't my place to judge anyway. No worries. I've just been on the road a long time and have personally witnessed a whole lot of preventable death and carnage. Two plus decades ago, I'm certain I was much less of a stick in the mud; but these days I tend to view things from the standpoint of never wanting to question if I was a catalyst to someone else's life-shattering decision. Cheers. :)

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
This is a rant about a lovely mechanic but also about myself. Follow along and play "Spot the red flags".

December 2012: My DRZ motor seizes up on me one sad day on my way home from work. Well, I'd always dreamed of doing a big bore kit and hotter cams. Guess now is the time. For a while I've been reading about a guy in Colorado who does amazing things with these motors, and for a very reasonable price I can get it fixed and also built up to do ~50hp with no hit to reliability. He quotes a price cheaper than I could get it rebuilt to stock specs locally. Thumpertalk's DRZ forum posters seem to trip over themselves trying to e-blow this engine genius at most every opportunity, so he must do good work.

April 2013: I ship the motor out to him. Weeks go by. His partner calls with the bill and it's $600 more than the initial estimate. More damage was there than he expected. He doesn't know why the motor failed (at 25,000 miles) and doesn't seem interested in finding out. Whatever, he has a sterling reputation and he says the motor should be done within another week so dreams of "accidental wheelie summer" override any warning bells.

May, June, July, August: Every time I call, his partner gives me a different reason why it's taking so long. The cams are backordered (but should arrive any day!) The head is still at the machine shop (but is expected any day!) "Be patient!" thumpertalk says. "He is busy and an artist and it'll be totally worth it. Don't rock the boat!" As weeks turn into months, there are more and more excuses. I'm a true believer until the excuses start to repeat. "Uhh, the cams are backordered? Again? But you told me you received them after a backorder delay two months ago!" At this point, the money is spent and even if this guy's partner is feeding me bullshit, the internet seems full of DRZ owners who are very happy with the motors these guys built for them so I decide to ride it out.

Mid August: The motor arrives! I blow the dust and cobwebs off the bike, and try to remember where I packed away all the other parts and fasteners. The motor goes in over two days, and just as I am nearing the finish line I go to hook up the radiators and ... Where's my thermostat housing? It was on the motor when I shipped it out. I call the guy and he apologies and promises he'll get it right out. He confirms the type of housing I need (The "S", not the "E"). I should get it in just a few days.

Roughly two weeks later: No thermostat housing. I call back. He says he just put it in the mail and I should get it in just a few days. Confirm the type again (The "S", not the "E").

Roughly a week later: Finally receive the housing! Hurrah! I wrestle it onto the motor, and go to put the radiators on. Quickly realize that this is the wrong housing. The one for the "E" model bike. I call the guy back and he tells me he DID send the "S" version, and he's the expert so I'm obviously the one who is wrong. I do manage to convince him that in any case, the one he sent won't fit. He grudgingly agrees to send the other type of housing, though he makes sure to heavy-handedly imply again that this is my fault and he is right and I am wrong and I don't know what model of bike I own. Anyway, I should get the new housing in just a few days.

Roughly two weeks after that: No thermostat housing. I call back. His assistant relays to me that he just put it in the mail and I should get it in just a few days. They tell me that he did double check this time and had been sure to send the "E" model thermostat. gently caress!

That was about a month ago. You might be shocked at this point to learn that I still have not received the second (probably wrong) housing. His business stopped answering their phones and they aren't returning messages, so the consensus on the internet seems to be that they washed away in the Colorado floods. Good. They still seem to be taking people's money on their web store, though.

I finally broke down and ordered a new thermostat housing from the dealer ($30). It came in at the end of last week, and then this last Sunday, I got the bike running again for the first time in nearly a year. There was much celebration. I am not ashamed to say I took a few victory laps circling my house which did no favors for my lawn or my relationship with my neighbors but goddammit it felt great. Of course my joy is tempered by the fact that I don't know if I can trust this motor was built right. Or if it even has the parts I paid for in there. Or if the root cause of the original failure isn't still in there waiting to kill this engine too. Finally, I sent my carb in with the motor to be re-jetted to match the new specs and I don't know if that was done right or not.

I went back to thumpertalk to try to understand why my experience was so different from what the rest of the world seems to have had. Turns out the respected engine guy just rented space in the back of some other lovely shop, and when he decided to leave in a huff over the extreme shittyness of said lovely shop owner (the "partner" I've been dealing with) he didn't make it known that he'd taken his ball and gone home. So any engines that were sent in after that point were instead built out by this other clown who was in no hurry to let his customers know the truth of the situation. Now the prevailing wisdom on thumpertalk seems to be "That (respected builder) guy was always a flake and anyone who trusted him got what they deserved."

At this point, I don't think I have any recourse. Payment was made too long ago to try to dispute it with my credit card company, and if this even was something that could be argued in small claims court, he's halfway across the country from me. So I think I have to write this off as an expensive lesson learned. gently caress you Eddie, gently caress you Kevin, but mostly gently caress you me, for talking yourself into ignoring warning signs so obvious they would have given Chernobyl engineers pause.

Oh, and I was going to try to flip the wrong thermostat housing for a couple of bucks on ebay, but instead just finished painting it gold. I figure I'll nail it to the wall over my workbench as a reminder to try to be less stupid.

Holy poo poo this is longer than I intended. It felt good to type out though. In lieu of an apology, have a picture of my shop assistant helping me put the motor back in:

MonkeyHate fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 23, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did not have a great experience with epic on my fcr carb either. It took way too long to get shipped, and I got all the same excuses, "that part ison back order" or whatever every time I called. It finally shipped, but it wasnt jetted anywhere near correct for my bike.

Things have been going downhill for at least the majority of 2013 at epic, and there is a decently large thread on thumpertalk discussing the various ways people got screwed by their terrible customer service.

Sucks to see him go, because he did build some of the strongest drz engines out there, but it was pretty clear towards the end that he either didn't know how to run a business, or didn't want to.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
That's a bad deal, MonkeyHate. Sorry it happened to you.

A realization I've come to over the years is that there are no good mechanics out there. Zero. Why would there be? They have no incentive to do accurate, timely work for the educated consumer when there will always be fifty more people out there with broken cars who don't know any better.

The absolute best you can hope for is to find one who is honest enough to underwrite his own incompetence, but when dealing with these small shops who boom because of forums it's way more likely that you'll hit them after they've become overwhelmed and stopped giving a poo poo. If they're not malicious enough to lie to get you off the phone, then they're careless enough to be mistaken. An established specialty shop that builds race engines or whatever can buck this trend by charging a fortune and doing a smaller volume of work on a narrower range of equipment.

There are so many times when I wish I could hand off my bike and car problems to a shop, but I've been burned every single time. I've literally had to walk into the shop to stop a certified "master mechanic" from replacing my wheel bearings to solve what was obviously radial play at the ball joint; I am not an experienced car mechanic by any stretch, but if you are shaking the wheel and the piece that the wheel is mounted to is moving with it then the play doesn't exist between those two parts. Similarly, when I get a weird vertical hop at 40mph on my KTM and I explain to the service manager that not only have I already tried rebalancing both wheels with no effect, but that I am worried that his mechanics (being understandably time-crunched) will read the symptoms and simply rebalance the wheels without riding it, and that exact thing happens, how can I trust these experts anymore? I'm better off wasting more money and sweat and accumulating weird special tools to do my own work because even if I gently caress it up at least I'll have a better chance at correcting my own mistakes than the ones the shop would've made anyways.

Basically these situations have pushed me to the point that I will only farm out non-diagnostic work that I don't want to do to the experts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The absolute best you can hope for is to find one who is honest enough to underwrite his own incompetence, but when dealing with these small shops who boom because of forums it's way more likely that you'll hit them after they've become overwhelmed and stopped giving a poo poo. If they're not malicious enough to lie to get you off the phone, then they're careless enough to be mistaken. An established specialty shop that builds race engines or whatever can buck this trend by charging a fortune and doing a smaller volume of work on a narrower range of equipment.

Reading through people's accounts of how lovely mechanics can be just makes me appreciate my mechanic even more.

It's a small shop, only 5 people including the manager, but they really, truly, honestly know their poo poo. The manager used to build race-spec Peugeots, I don't know if they actually do that anymore, though. His son races Peugeots and does hillclimbs and that sort of thing. The main guy at the shop even used to drive a 406 exactly like mine, he knows all the little faults and common issues, like their appetite for oil, commonly-missed worn parts in the suspension, all that stuff. Last time I was there, he basically gave me a rundown of the state my car was in and which parts I would probably need to have replaced within the next 1-2 years or so. I fully trust them to do a 100% job on my car, which is why I drive 150km each way to have it serviced there. (and to visit my parents who live almost next door to the shop).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 23, 2013

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

MonkeyHate posted:

<hosed up story about getting hosed sans lube>

Wow I had this exact same experience with a truck engine built in CA (I am in NY, exactly an entire continent's width away). Forums full of nut swingers, months and months of delays and everything.

The one deviation is that they sent me a junk motor the first time and I had to pay to ship it back. Then they sent me another junk motor. According to most forums related to these engines they were the best shop in the country for this type of work.

I just pulled that motor out of the truck after its third blown headgasket in less than 10k miles (not a turbo motor) and left it lying on the ground to rot back into the earth.

Hoping for better luck on your end

<edit>

that reminds me that I should pull it all apart to see if _any_ of the high dollar parts I paid for were actually put in it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's really lovely of Eddie to leave a shop and then I guess let his contact info stagnate at this new place and gently caress all his customers? What the poo poo? Who does that.

That's a hosed experience. Do a charge back on you credit card! That'll heat things up.