Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Freakbox posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a place on SA to post kickstarters we LIKE? :unsmith: There's a really awesome one or two out there that I think some of the Goons I know would like.

There's PYF Kickstarter project in PYF, as well as threads for video games kickstarters and traditional games kickstarters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

SoundMonkey posted:

The off-the-shelf audio amp screwed to plywood is pretty great too. I'm not saying it's terrible idea (although it is), it just doesn't look like something I need to pay a guy for since he just told me how to rig one up in about ten minutes.

I'm thinking car battery + amp + plywood means it will also start fires for those times when you're caught in an avalanche (brilliant idea to use a "Bonfire" backpack, btw). Obviously your tunes will suffer, but...

As far as doing it yourself, obviously you're paying him for the thing so you don't have to make it. Clearly he knows his target market (young men into outdoor activities) and understands that these types of people don't try to figure things out for themselves or anything. These lazy types tend to be observers who like having things done for them, which is why they are into skiing, mountain climbing, kayaking, and all those other outdoorsy type things.

(Don't forget taking showers)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ChocNitty posted:

For all your quality, professional quidditch brooms, hoops, and team merch, check out https://www.petersonsbrooms.com

World Cup Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aamjTZV51Q

These people are allowed to vote for president.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The competitive Starcraft 2 themed visual novel just reached its $7k goal with an average pledge of ~$46. Finally, the crossover market of "eSports" shutins and weeaboo shutins has the product they've been clamoring for.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The competitive Starcraft 2 themed visual novel just reached its $7k goal with an average pledge of ~$46. Finally, the crossover market of "eSports" shutins and weeaboo shutins has the product they've been clamoring for.

Isn't that a goon-run project that exists primarily to make fun of visual novels etc?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kickstarter just announced that Australian projects can be launched from Nov 13. We'll soon have a whole slew of awful KS projects with an Aussie twist! :woop: (And maybe one or two decent projects, who knows.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DancingPenguin posted:

Isn't that a goon-run project that exists primarily to make fun of visual novels etc?

It's definitely goon-run, but it seems to focus more on the competitive SC scene- in all other respects, it seems like your usual visual novel.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

DancingPenguin posted:

Well, this is their artist's deviantart page. That doesn't fill me with faith that they're taking the piss.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Talkie Toaster posted:

Well, this is their artist's deviantart page. That doesn't fill me with faith that they're taking the piss.

Whether or not it still is, it did at least start as a parody.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

These people are allowed to vote for president.

One thing I noticed: it's full contact and co-ed. While the game itself is pretty goofy, there's something to be said about not having teams segregated by sex.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

thylacine posted:

One thing I noticed: it's full contact and co-ed. While the game itself is pretty goofy, there's something to be said about not having teams segregated by sex.

How much contact could there literally be in a game of broomstick dodgeball with a minigame of hide and go seek? I wasn't aware gender mixing validates a "sport"

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

OrganizedInsanity posted:

How much contact could there literally be in a game of broomstick dodgeball with a minigame of hide and go seek? I wasn't aware gender mixing validates a "sport"

These people are trying really hard to sell quidditch as a tough sport. "Looks there's tackling! And Blood!"

The thing is, I've seen Murderball, and a game literally designed to be played by quadriplegics is rougher than this poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I guess you can say I'm pretty hardcore, I play full contact fake quidditch, none of that pussy flag poo poo here.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

quote:

Alex Benepe, Comissioner, International Quidditch Association

Why is this a thing? At least I can get some closure on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory now, Willie Wonka went Mark Cuban and bought himself all of Quidditch

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Shanghaied posted:

These people are trying really hard to sell quidditch as a tough sport. "Looks there's tackling! And Blood!"

The thing is, I've seen Murderball, and a game literally designed to be played by quadriplegics is rougher than this poo poo.

I don't know. The only way I'd ever play Quidditch would be to get completely hammered before and bring brass knuckles. I'd play the ball that hits people in the face of course.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Morglon posted:

I don't know. The only way I'd ever play Quidditch would be to get completely hammered before and bring brass knuckles. I'd play the ball that hits people in the face of course.

I actually really never understood why its legal to hit bowling balls at people but instead of just flying instead of just beating them with a bat.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

The parent in me got a little concerned when there was tussling for the ball and it looked like the end of the broomstick was getting close to people's faces. If it was a real sport people would use the sticks offensively like that, necessitating face masks, etc. The fact that the players don't doesn't show how friendly they are about this big community of nerds, it shows that this isn't really a sport. The world Quidditch commissioner got that title by claiming it, in the same way that I am now claiming the title of inter-galactic Quidditch commissioner. Dibs.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

JDM3 posted:

The parent in me got a little concerned when there was tussling for the ball and it looked like the end of the broomstick was getting close to people's faces. If it was a real sport people would use the sticks offensively like that, necessitating face masks, etc. The fact that the players don't doesn't show how friendly they are about this big community of nerds, it shows that this isn't really a sport. The world Quidditch commissioner got that title by claiming it, in the same way that I am now claiming the title of inter-galactic Quidditch commissioner. Dibs.

Clearly I should start a kickstarter for "safety brooms" - a limp styrofoam stick you pin between your legs.

I just can't help but feel that this is some level of cargo-culting going on. Take the sport of polo for example, there are variants of the sport like cycle polo, canoe polo, elephant polo, camel polo, but fundamentally the idea is the same - as well as ball-handling, the sports also requires skills in handling the means of conveyance, whether it's a horse, a bike or a canoe. Take away the element of conveyance then it's no longer polo - if you are just going to be running around on foot with a hobby horse between your legs, you might as well be playing field hockey at that point. Without the flying brooms quidditch or muggle quidditch or whatever they like to call it is basically just handball. You know, except handball is actually a full-contact sport played by people who are actually athletic.

Shanghaied has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Oct 17, 2013

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
So what you're saying is it's not real Quidditch unless it involves ultralights. I could get behind that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

So what you're saying is it's not real Quidditch unless it involves ultralights. I could get behind that.

Holy poo poo, you are actually on to something! Quickly, patent that poo poo before I do!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
It could involve riding on pocket bikes. Maybe that would work. They wouldn't fly of course, but it'd be better than useless broomsticks.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I like how "doing the impossible" went from landing on the moon to making a gimmick game based on Harry Potter, according to that documentary. Boy, have our standards fallen.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

ranbo das posted:

I like how "doing the impossible" went from landing on the moon to making a gimmick game based on Harry Potter, according to that documentary. Boy, have our standards fallen.

Look he said "doing the impossible", not "doing the worthwhile".

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

JDM3 posted:

This is fascinating. Are there different "versions" of broomstick? If I buy the special edition Firebolt (C) do I get to force the other players to play extra slow to simulate the speed and performance it provides?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

This is the first time I've been even remotely interested in any part of Harry Potter.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Only play Quidditch in freefall. All players, balls and goalposts are thrown from a plane and the game is played until you hit the appropriate parachute deployment altitude. Matches last around two and a half minutes.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

MrYenko posted:

This is the first time I've been even remotely interested in any part of Harry Potter.

The blodger is a Redeye missile OFC

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Only play Quidditch in freefall. All players, balls and goalposts are thrown from a plane and the game is played until you hit the appropriate parachute deployment altitude. Matches last around two and a half minutes.

Use long thin tubes of pressurized gas (essentially stretched out fire extinguishers) for brooms.

Now except for the actual game aspect, this is starting to shape up into something kind of cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fatkraken posted:

This could be the only sport that improves when matches go to extra time.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Fatkraken posted:

The prize for the winning team is to have their parachutes deploy.

You know, I actually hope Quidditch gets massively popular, because I see the end point of the phenomenon being the construction of the stadium equivalent of a giant air-hockey table.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jedit posted:

This could be the only sport that improves when matches go to extra time.

Overtime could, quite literally, be sudden death mode.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
So, that CENTERPIECE board game that was talked about a few pages back, didn't get funded, as we all expected. To be honest, between the hilarious pitch video and the first update posted by the creator, I'm really curious to know just how bizarre the game is. I looked at the updates and it seems like he was trying to sell it on Ebay but I couldn't find it myself. The last update is for backers only, is there anyone here who backed it and can share with us what he said?

Link to the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/844250995/centerpiece-small-box-holds-a-full-sized-board-gam

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shanghaied posted:

Clearly I should start a kickstarter for "safety brooms" - a limp styrofoam stick you pin between your legs.

The only worthwhile Harry Potter broom merchandize was a kids' vibrating magical broom. The real shocker was when little girls seemed to REALLY enjoy 'riding' them for extended periods.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Nenonen posted:

The only worthwhile Harry Potter broom merchandize was a kids' vibrating magical broom. The real shocker was when little girls seemed to REALLY enjoy 'riding' them for extended periods.

Well any broom would be worthwhile in that after you're done embarrassing yourself you can sweep up before you slink away in shame.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Honestly kind of surprised that nobody has tried playing quiddich with those autonomous quadcopter rotors that sound like nothing so much as the End of Days itself. You could even put lego dudes on the top, and if they get knocked off then that copter is sent to the penalty box. The smackybludgers (i don't remember their actual name) could be a pair of those tennis ball launchers mounted on tank treads.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Young Freud posted:

Animation is traditionally very expensive to produce. Most routine television cartoon animation costs about $1500 to produce one minute of animation, while feature films are about $80,000 to 1 million dollars depending on the quality of the work.

For crowdfunded animation projects, "Bee and Puppycat" is probably about average when it comes to cost: Michael Gagne's Story Of Rex had a goal of $15,000 for a one-minute short (he got $60k and is producing a four-minute short with a trailer that has 30-seconds of new animation), and Masaaki Yuasa's "Kick-Heart" cost about $150,000 for a ten minute short.

Bee and Puppycat is asking $16k a minute. Little Witch Academia was asking $10k a minute on Kickstarter, GITS Stand Alone Complex was allegedly one of the more expensive animes and cost $12k a minute. We'll have to see how good it looks.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Carecat posted:

GITS Stand Alone Complex was allegedly one of the more expensive animes and cost $12k a minute.
Where did you get that figure from? Because I heard it cost more like $500k per 24 minute episode.
(You also need to realise that the Japanese animators get paid way below minimum wage, $300 or $400 a month for a full time job)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember also that these Kickstarter projects have to factor in Amazon/KS Inc's share plus the cost to produce and mail out out the pledge rewards which could easily gobble up 25% of the funds raised.

There's been a few 'successful' projects which ended up bankrupting the creators when they didn't realise that the pledge reward costs can get crazy expensive if the project really takes off.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

For :20bux: I will send you the foolproof guide to making a killing on a marginally successful Kickstarter project. All you need to supply is an idea that sounds good enough to get funding, but which cannot ever actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy

JDM3 posted:

For :20bux: I will send you the foolproof guide to making a killing on a marginally successful Kickstarter project. All you need to supply is an idea that sounds good enough to get funding, but which cannot ever actually work.

Are perpetual machines accepted?