Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

hypersleep posted:

As far as guitar interfaces, the AmpKit Link isn't bad, but if you've got the money, go for the Apogee Jam.

For effects processors, JamUp Pro XT and AmpKit are the two big ones.

I find BeatMaker 2's drum and keyboard samplers to be the best samplers on iOS currently. If you're just triggering samples, BM2 will more than suffice. If you're doing looping, look into Loopy HD.

My main goal at the moment is something I can do tracking with for some home recording. I have a band that doesn't get to practice as much as I'd like so I figure best way to work on material would be to build the songs myself (piano, bass, guitar, etc) and just send to them for the rest of the band to make changes/add their own flavor... or just use for demos for myself.

I was mainly worried about whether or not it BeatMaker/Garage Band had decent amp models built in, and if not, if it were possible to use a modeler program and a tracking program at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My main goal at the moment is something I can do tracking with for some home recording. I have a band that doesn't get to practice as much as I'd like so I figure best way to work on material would be to build the songs myself (piano, bass, guitar, etc) and just send to them for the rest of the band to make changes/add their own flavor... or just use for demos for myself.

I was mainly worried about whether or not it BeatMaker/Garage Band had decent amp models built in, and if not, if it were possible to use a modeler program and a tracking program at the same time.

GarageBand has some amp models I think, but you'd be much better off using a dedicated effects/amp app routed into BM2 or GarageBand with Audiobus. All of the apps I mentioned previously have Audiobus support.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Heads-up for iOS music app enthusiasts: DO NOT UPDATE TO IOS 7. There are more than a few music apps that aren't compatible or exhibit bugginess.

Also, AudioCopy is broken, and it'll take time for devs to update to the latest SDK in their apps. More info about AudioCopy 2 is here: http://retronyms.com/audiocopy/

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
PulseCode's Modular iPad app is out :dance: It's free with IAP for more modules. 5$ gets you all modules, including all future ones, so that's a good price in my opinion.

http://www.pulsecodeinc.com/modular.html

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

PulseCode's Modular iPad app is out :dance: It's free with IAP for more modules. 5$ gets you all modules, including all future ones, so that's a good price in my opinion.

http://www.pulsecodeinc.com/modular.html

Oh boy :neckbeard: :getin:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

hypersleep posted:

GarageBand has some amp models I think, but you'd be much better off using a dedicated effects/amp app routed into BM2 or GarageBand with Audiobus. All of the apps I mentioned previously have Audiobus support.

I have a Line Six Flextone III. Decent models. I'll have to see if it has a line out.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mmmh, well. I just got home and played a little with the app and patching is frustrating as hell!!! Your fingers always obscure the patch points and the app is really finicky where it wants you to release the cables. The knobs, buttons and zoom gestures in general act strange sometimes, which was my main gripe in their Rhythm Studio app as well. Also, the rack space is quite small and there aren't any small multiple modules (or ways to "stack cables" :haw: ).

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 12, 2013

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

hypersleep posted:

Heads-up for iOS music app enthusiasts: DO NOT UPDATE TO IOS 7. There are more than a few music apps that aren't compatible or exhibit bugginess.

do you have links to more info on this? i was planning to update to iOS 7 to try to get in on that inter-app audio stuff as soon as i could.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^One of the developers of Audiobus posted on the Audiobus forums that he won't update until 7.1 and advised everyone else not to as well. Unfortunately he couldn't get into any specifics because the NDA hasn't been lifted yet.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Looptical was released today, which is a music studio app made for the small iPhone (5) screen. Anybody want to give it a try and report back?

http://appshopper.com/music/looptical

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

hypersleep posted:

Also, AudioCopy is broken, and it'll take time for devs to update to the latest SDK in their apps. More info about AudioCopy 2 is here: http://retronyms.com/audiocopy/

Retronym's latest AudioCopy build is working great on iOS 7. This is as of two days ago, so any devs who updated their apps earlier may not have the current version.

Epileper posted:

do you have links to more info on this? i was planning to update to iOS 7 to try to get in on that inter-app audio stuff as soon as i could.

I'd listen to the Audiobus guys (also why aren't you already using Audiobus). Wait, if nothing else for the multitude of iPad bugs to be fixed.

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
Animoog is on sale for $12.99 right now.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NanoStudio users, DO NOT update to 1.42! It introduces an exciting glitch that makes the reverb effect cause some real nasty feedback. A fix is already on the way according to the Borstel guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does this glitch perhaps have some creative potential? :v:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

xzzy posted:

Does this glitch perhaps have some creative potential? :v:

Well, I guess now's your chance if you've always wanted to specifically make some really annoying feedback drones in NanoStudio for some reason!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone heard anything about a release date for the iRig Blueboard?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Aand the NanoStudio reverb fix is out.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Not sure how many of you use Tabletop, but this demo video from the dev is loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAMIATPk_Ro

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty neat stuff.. can't wait to see music app makers really dig into the new audio features.

If directing audio is really that easy here's hoping the iPhone catches up a bit to the iPad offerings. I get that the small screen makes serious work a pain, but OS level support for that kind of multitasking really improves the efficiency of the small screen.

Especially because I'm a thousand times more likely to always have the phone with me. :v:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is there anything free (or freemium I guess) that's worth a poo poo as far as production goes? I'd just like some simple synth type thing that I can do some basic midi programming with. Something to prototype ideas when I'm drinking coffee outside with my dog in the morning. That got weirdly specific.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Is Audiobus known to be finicky? Particularly on iOS 7? I'm having issues with apps only sometimes passing sound through. Often the input app will stop making sound.

Edit: I should read the page I'm on

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

FYI - I'm putting TC-11 on sale this Thursday. First time since it launched almost 2 years ago that it's going on sale. Mark your calendars / spread the word / buy it for grandma and grandpa!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I will do all of those things.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

lord funk posted:

FYI - I'm putting TC-11 on sale this Thursday. First time since it launched almost 2 years ago that it's going on sale. Mark your calendars / spread the word / buy it for grandma and grandpa!

Thanks for the heads up! I will most probably buy it then! So far it always looked very complicated and I wasn't sure if spending "that much" money on it would be worth it, for me and my personal iOS music app taste.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, definitely grabbing it :getin:

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Looks like that's right up my alley. Has it been updated with the latest Audiobus SDK?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This sale is timed to coincide with the launch of the iphone version, right?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

lord funk posted:

It's just seven loving euros :tviv:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

illBilliam posted:

Looks like that's right up my alley. Has it been updated with the latest Audiobus SDK?

Yes. Those guys worked hard to make it compatible with iOS 7.

xzzy posted:

This sale is timed to coincide with the launch of the iphone version, right?

Also coinciding with the amazing hand-shrink-o-size potion! Or the incredible screen big-larger! ;)

Yes it's just $7.99!!! I hope a lot of people get a kick out of it. I know it's a pretty heady programming app (which the normal price reflects) but I wanted more users to get a chance to use it. :)

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

lord funk posted:

Yes. Those guys worked hard to make it compatible with iOS 7.

Also coinciding with the amazing hand-shrink-o-size potion! Or the incredible screen big-larger! ;)

Yes it's just $7.99!!! I hope a lot of people get a kick out of it. I know it's a pretty heady programming app (which the normal price reflects) but I wanted more users to get a chance to use it. :)

Excellent! Thanks. I bought it last night and :aaaaa: Seems like a really fun synth to use going by the short time I messed with it. I'll be reading up on the manual this weekend.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I hopped on it the second I saw it drop. It's excellent, and I've been pestering Facebook friends to buy it too. I've only had about thirty minutes to mess around with it so far, but I plan to get considerably deeper into it this weekend.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Some Retronyms news:

The Tabletop update with inter-app audio support is out. There's a free MIDI keyboard with a total of 128 knobs. There's also an inter-app loop recorder for a $4.99 IAP. More info here.

iMPC has been updated with inter-app audio support and is currently down to $4.99 from the usual $6.99.

The AudioCopy 2 app has been submitted to Apple for review and should be available any day now.

Supreme Lord Jeremy
Jul 12, 2006

"We have waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with the blood of those who oppose us."

lord funk posted:

I just spent the last half an hour playing with it. I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing, but I do know that it's fun as poo poo and makes some pretty awesome sounds. Thanks for the discount.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Congrats to lord funk for having the #1 music app in the app store at the moment :toot:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

illBilliam posted:

Congrats to lord funk for having the #1 music app in the app store at the moment :toot:

:cheers: thanks!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I just posted a question up in the DJ thread, but I thought it might be worth cross-posting in this thread. (I'll edit out my post if this isn't kosher.)

I've been making some electronic drum loops in iMaschine and was hoping to be able to loop the .WAV files I can make with iMaschine live instead of trying to translate these parts into a live drum part or otherwise pre-programming every change in a song into some pre-recorded MP3 so that all the spontaneity is taken out.

Is there a particularly good iOS app or (or other device or program) for switching instantaneously between loops? I was thinking maybe some kind of DJ program might do the trick. Something approximating a mixer's cross-fader?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

CisSTAR 19 posted:

I just posted a question up in the DJ thread, but I thought it might be worth cross-posting in this thread. (I'll edit out my post if this isn't kosher.)

I've been making some electronic drum loops in iMaschine and was hoping to be able to loop the .WAV files I can make with iMaschine live instead of trying to translate these parts into a live drum part or otherwise pre-programming every change in a song into some pre-recorded MP3 so that all the spontaneity is taken out.

Is there a particularly good iOS app or (or other device or program) for switching instantaneously between loops? I was thinking maybe some kind of DJ program might do the trick. Something approximating a mixer's cross-fader?

Loopy / Loopy HD ?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Loopy / Loopy HD ?

This looks promising. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like Apple is gearing up to give away GarageBand, and make money from it off IAP:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/21/apple_announce_free_garage_band_sale/

Pay 99 cents for reverb! :downs:

It's gonna have to be really goddamn good to pry me away from nanostudio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

xzzy posted:

Looks like Apple is gearing up to give away GarageBand, and make money from it off IAP:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/21/apple_announce_free_garage_band_sale/

Pay 99 cents for reverb! :downs:

It's gonna have to be really goddamn good to pry me away from nanostudio.

I bought Garageband on a whim some time ago and I can't say I've actually done anything worthwhile with it. The "real" instruments are fun to toy around with for someone like me who can't play anything else than synths, but the synths in Garageband are just awful and the app isn't really intended for making full, finished release-quality songs so it doesn't actually have much to offer for me. Can't see any harm in downloading it and having a look if it's gonna be free, though.

NanoStudio is where it's at for me. I dig that drat program just a little more every single time I boot it up (that's erry fuckin day, by the way)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread