Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droneboat609
Sep 30, 2013

DoctaFun posted:

I don't think there's anything more addicting than buying fishing lures…I just bought about 20 new crankbaits in the last couple days and I can't stop!

I have so much tackle dude idk where I got it all lol you go to the store to buy 3 things and walk out with 30 :P

I think the colors in lures are to catch people more than to catch fish :)

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Cast net + time = finger mullet. Finger mullet + time = Mangrove snapper.

Mangrove snapper + garlic butter = awesome.

A successful day. I spent $0 on new tackle and got a free dinner!

that is the way to do it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Cast net + time = finger mullet. Finger mullet + time = Mangrove snapper.

Mangrove snapper + garlic butter = awesome.

A successful day. I spent $0 on new tackle and got a free dinner!

Actually if you catch a few of the bigger mullet and smoke them, they turn into a great meal in them selves. A cast net + time will net you all types of goodies for the dinner table.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
Just pulled the trigger on my first waders and then caught wind of a deal on Spey gear. Can't wait to take this beast out for streamer fishing this winter!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay so I've recently been :jealous: of the guys I see on the rocks, casting into the delta on the beach near my family's beach house on the Oregon Coast, so I was looking to get into some saltwater fishing, specifically starting with probably surfperch and stuff on the nice flat beaches nearby, since I'm not super stoked to break a leg on a jetty in the dark somewhere.

So my main question is what kind of cheap rod/reel combo can I get away with? I don't have anything over 6 feet long that's not a flyrod, and I don't have any plans to try saltwater fly fishing for the foreseeable future since it's usually crazy windy here in OR. Mostly I'm just thinking along the lines of some rubber boots, a rod and a bucket with some gear in it, and have no idea what to buy for a cheap rod combo that'll probably get broken or lost after a couple years at the beach rental. Probably get a clam gun too, because why the hell not when I've got the bucket and boots ready..?

Edit: I was looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAGLE-CLAW-Saltwater-8-SURF-BEAST-Combo-BRAND-NEW-/370895516098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565b1871c2

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 10, 2013

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Guys they are releasing 1000 pounds of stocked Rainbows in the canal where I fish tomorrow. I know it is going to be jammed packed because of experience. What are your pro tips to score some of these beauties? I caught them in May when they did this on Red Worms. I have some Crawlers in my fridge and some "Power Bait" I was given. Gonna hit the bait shop before I go, thinking Maggots or Wax Worms on a hair jig on one rod, Power Bait on the other? Please advise, thanks!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Caught a nice six foot black tip shark off singer island Florida this morning. He hit a 10" top water bait and took me about 30 minutes to wrestle him to shore.

Might see him later when I hit the reed for some snorkeling..

droneboat609
Sep 30, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Okay so I've recently been :jealous: of the guys I see on the rocks, casting into the delta on the beach near my family's beach house on the Oregon Coast, so I was looking to get into some saltwater fishing, specifically starting with probably surfperch and stuff on the nice flat beaches nearby, since I'm not super stoked to break a leg on a jetty in the dark somewhere.

So my main question is what kind of cheap rod/reel combo can I get away with? I don't have anything over 6 feet long that's not a flyrod, and I don't have any plans to try saltwater fly fishing for the foreseeable future since it's usually crazy windy here in OR. Mostly I'm just thinking along the lines of some rubber boots, a rod and a bucket with some gear in it, and have no idea what to buy for a cheap rod combo that'll probably get broken or lost after a couple years at the beach rental. Probably get a clam gun too, because why the hell not when I've got the bucket and boots ready..?

Edit: I was looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAGLE-CLAW-Saltwater-8-SURF-BEAST-Combo-BRAND-NEW-/370895516098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565b1871c2

Yeah that rod would be fine for the use you are looking for, now my salt water fishing from the shore is from Florida, however, just having some bait on a nice hook with some sinkers to sit on the bottom (or have a floating jig so it sits 1-5 feet off the bottom) is a easy way to do stuff, otherwise just experiment with different casting lures. With the salt water though be sure to hose off your rod (most importantly your reel) with fresh water (from like a garden hose) to make sure you get all the salt and stuff cleaned off, helps the gear last longer and preform better the next time. GL :)

Floating Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Is it... dead?

droneboat609 posted:

...be sure to hose off your rod (most importantly your reel) with fresh water (from like a garden hose) to make sure you get all the salt and stuff cleaned off, helps the gear last longer and preform better the next time. GL :)

Do this. For reels I like to unscrew the handles and take the spools off until the freshwater dries, then oil it. Also make sure you rinse the rod guides and reel seat well. It doesn't take much neglect to destroy saltwater gear, especially the cheaper stuff.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I'm going to go fish for pike tomorrow afternoon in a very large lake, and i would like to ask for some advice, since i only so far have been fishing in summertime.

I live in Sweden, so where i'm at daytime temperatures right now are around 8 degrees celsius. Temperate climate zone, comparable to Minnesota kind of.

Where do pikes like to hang out? I'm thinking of hitting shallow areas with reed, as far as i know pikes go into shallow waters with vegetation during colder autumn waters. Is that a reasonable strategy? Otherwise i know a spot with an underwater steep which quickly gets deep.

Today the wind speed is low, almost still, but tomorrow's gonna be friskier, with wind speeds around 8 m/s (18 mph/15.5 knots) blowing Northwest. How does that affect pike habits?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Falukorv posted:

I'm going to go fish for pike tomorrow afternoon in a very large lake, and i would like to ask for some advice, since i only so far have been fishing in summertime.

I live in Sweden, so where i'm at daytime temperatures right now are around 8 degrees celsius. Temperate climate zone, comparable to Minnesota kind of.

Where do pikes like to hang out? I'm thinking of hitting shallow areas with reed, as far as i know pikes go into shallow waters with vegetation during colder autumn waters. Is that a reasonable strategy? Otherwise i know a spot with an underwater steep which quickly gets deep.

Today the wind speed is low, almost still, but tomorrow's gonna be friskier, with wind speeds around 8 m/s (18 mph/15.5 knots) blowing Northwest. How does that affect pike habits?

I'm going to answer assuming you mean northern pike, but there's a possibility you mean what we call a walleye, because in some parts of the country people call walleye 'pike'.

Anyways, usually in the fall pike are quite aggressive, so using fairly large/flashy lures is a good strategy. Medium to Large sized crankbaits(Buchertail Shallow Raider, Original Floating rapala/husky jerk, daredevle spoons, bucktails, spinnerbaits are all good choices.

As a rule, you can always find pike where you find weeds. The hard part is finding the big pike. In lakes with a good pike population you should be able to put Pike in the boat by casting along the edges of weedlines(or even on top of the weeds if they don't reach the surface), you might get quite a few small ones though(which would be okay for eating!), but you should find some action. The best weedlines for bigger pike are ones that are close to deep water. Another popular lake feature for big pike is points, if that point also is adjacent to deep water and has good weed growth then it's probably a good spot!

Another location(which I guess falls into the weeds category) is cabbage beds. http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/weeds.html. If you can find some underwater cabbage(may be too late in the year for that I'm not sure), then these spots will often produce some pike. Either troll right on top of them or right along the sides of them. Again, if you can find a spot like this that has deep water nearby, it's better for the big fish.

As far as how wind affects pike habits, I'm not too sure. There's a general tip for walleye that you should fish the windblown side of the lake because the wind pushes the baitfish that direction. It's very possible that the pike will follow as well, but if you are looking for big pike I will say that they probably arne't feeding on tiny minnows(I've seen 4 lb. northerns T-bone and kill 2 lb. walleyes.)

Just note that the 'big pike' spots will likely yield a lot fewer fish, but they will be bigger on average. If you are just looking for numbers then I would either cast or troll along weedlines all day, you should pick a few up.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
The cool thing about pike too is that they're determined and fearless. If one misses a strike, he'll probably try again immediately. If he follows the lure to the boat, jig it or do some figure 8s for a bit and they might grab it. They'll strike inches from a boat or dock.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

DoctaFun posted:

I'm going to answer assuming you mean northern pike, but there's a possibility you mean what we call a walleye, because in some parts of the country people call walleye 'pike'.

Anyways, usually in the fall pike are quite aggressive, so using fairly large/flashy lures is a good strategy. Medium to Large sized crankbaits(Buchertail Shallow Raider, Original Floating rapala/husky jerk, daredevle spoons, bucktails, spinnerbaits are all good choices.

As a rule, you can always find pike where you find weeds. The hard part is finding the big pike. In lakes with a good pike population you should be able to put Pike in the boat by casting along the edges of weedlines(or even on top of the weeds if they don't reach the surface), you might get quite a few small ones though(which would be okay for eating!), but you should find some action. The best weedlines for bigger pike are ones that are close to deep water. Another popular lake feature for big pike is points, if that point also is adjacent to deep water and has good weed growth then it's probably a good spot!

Another location(which I guess falls into the weeds category) is cabbage beds. http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/weeds.html. If you can find some underwater cabbage(may be too late in the year for that I'm not sure), then these spots will often produce some pike. Either troll right on top of them or right along the sides of them. Again, if you can find a spot like this that has deep water nearby, it's better for the big fish.

As far as how wind affects pike habits, I'm not too sure. There's a general tip for walleye that you should fish the windblown side of the lake because the wind pushes the baitfish that direction. It's very possible that the pike will follow as well, but if you are looking for big pike I will say that they probably arne't feeding on tiny minnows(I've seen 4 lb. northerns T-bone and kill 2 lb. walleyes.)

Just note that the 'big pike' spots will likely yield a lot fewer fish, but they will be bigger on average. If you are just looking for numbers then I would either cast or troll along weedlines all day, you should pick a few up.

Thanks! Yeah i meant Northern Pike, i don't think walleyes exist in Sweden at all. We do have the related Pikeperch though, but that's not what im after since they're pretty hard to fish here without the proper equipment or a boat. Should have mentioned, i don't own a boat so i'll be fishing from land, which limits my access to many possible points/reefs. I'm not interested in the really big ones, as i would like to catch one or two to actually eat, and medium-sized pikes make for better food.

As of now i'm thinking of going to a place with shallow water (up to 3 of meters depth)and lots of reed and usually cabbage bed, it has been a warm autumn so it should still be there. It get's deeper at around 100 meters out at sea. I've caught a 2 kg pike there once before on a summer evening, that particular pike had a crayfish in her stomach.
And the place is also on the windblown side.

Here's a nautical chart of the place, the marker is where i stand and fish:

A few clicks to the north on the map there's another spot where i can stand and fish, with a reef/point accessible (marked by a cross with dots), and it's closer to deeper water.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 17, 2013

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Falukorv posted:

Thanks! Yeah i meant Northern Pike, i don't think walleyes exist in Sweden at all. We do have the related Pikeperch though, but that's not what im after since they're pretty hard to fish here without the proper equipment or a boat. Should have mentioned, i don't own a boat so i'll be fishing from land, which limits my access to many possible points/reefs. I'm not interested in the really big ones, as i would like to catch one or two to actually eat, and medium-sized pikes make for better food.

As of now i'm thinking of going to a place with shallow water (up to 3 of meters depth)and lots of reed and usually cabbage bed, it has been a warm autumn so it should still be there. It get's deeper at around 100 meters out at sea. I've caught a 2 kg pike there once before on a summer evening, that particular pike had a crayfish in her stomach.
And the place is also on the windblown side.

Here's a nautical chart of the place, the marker is where i stand and fish:

A few clicks to the north on the map there's another spot where i can stand and fish, with a reef/point accessible (marked by a cross with dots), and it's closer to deeper water.

Well not having a boat definitely changes things :), but that's okay! I like the spot you have marked, it allows you to potentially throw a lure out into deeper water because of that little bay, as well as throw into the shallow water/opening of that bay. Also, that island isn't that far out from shore, it's possible that there is some sort of trench in between the island and the shore, creating a natural funnel for predator fish to ambush baitfish. When I say deeper I mean relatively, the depth could taper off slowly from shore until you get half way to the island and start slowly moving back up again or something.

The other spots I'd try would be that point north of you, casting straight out and then parallel to shore on either side would be a good bet. Especially if the weeds aren't as thick once you get to 5-6 feet deep or something, that might allow you to bring your lure back in parallel to shore, all the while staying on the edge of the weeds, or on top of some deeper weeds. Otherwise I'd try the mouth of those small inlets south of your marker.

Pike don't necessarily stack up or school like a lot of other fish, so it's probably best to move around a bit if you aren't getting bites. As far as I know they move around quite a bit looking for food, and are aggressive towards other pike, so you probably won't find many small pike hanging out very close to really big ones(at least not by choice).

I would walk along the shore and just cast all over the place. Don't stick to just one spot all day, keep on the move and you should find some hungry fish eventually. If it's sunny out, try something with a brass/silver polished finish(like a daredevle spoon), they will really flash in the sun which can really entice those fish. Since it could potentially be very weedy where you are fishing, you might want to look at some topwater baits. One of my favorite Pike lures is the Bass-Oreno, it usually stays within a foot or so of the surface and I've caught numerous pike(and a big musky!) on it before.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Caught and ate a nice blacktop shark tonight. Tasty and delicious and a nice ending to the annual leadership meeting at work. Going to miss the coast of Florida when I pack up for the trip home l..

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

DoctaFun posted:

Well not having a boat definitely changes things :), but that's okay! I like the spot you have marked, it allows you to potentially throw a lure out into deeper water because of that little bay, as well as throw into the shallow water/opening of that bay. Also, that island isn't that far out from shore, it's possible that there is some sort of trench in between the island and the shore, creating a natural funnel for predator fish to ambush baitfish. When I say deeper I mean relatively, the depth could taper off slowly from shore until you get half way to the island and start slowly moving back up again or something.

The other spots I'd try would be that point north of you, casting straight out and then parallel to shore on either side would be a good bet. Especially if the weeds aren't as thick once you get to 5-6 feet deep or something, that might allow you to bring your lure back in parallel to shore, all the while staying on the edge of the weeds, or on top of some deeper weeds. Otherwise I'd try the mouth of those small inlets south of your marker.

Pike don't necessarily stack up or school like a lot of other fish, so it's probably best to move around a bit if you aren't getting bites. As far as I know they move around quite a bit looking for food, and are aggressive towards other pike, so you probably won't find many small pike hanging out very close to really big ones(at least not by choice).

I would walk along the shore and just cast all over the place. Don't stick to just one spot all day, keep on the move and you should find some hungry fish eventually. If it's sunny out, try something with a brass/silver polished finish(like a daredevle spoon), they will really flash in the sun which can really entice those fish. Since it could potentially be very weedy where you are fishing, you might want to look at some topwater baits. One of my favorite Pike lures is the Bass-Oreno, it usually stays within a foot or so of the surface and I've caught numerous pike(and a big musky!) on it before.

I went there today and did all that, but it felt pretty dead. Not a single bite, no visible signs of fish around. Maybe that spot isn't so hot now as it was when i was there in the summer. Water temperature was around 11 degrees centigrade, the air temperature was really cold today (around 5 degrees).
Some cold winds have come in these last few days quickly abrupting the mellow autumn temperatures we've been having since late august/october.
Thanks for the advice, might go out again tomorrow at a different location. Tomorrows gonna be as cold, but with lighter winds blowing westward.

I have the feeling it's gonna be as fruitless, but gently caress it. Even if i don't catch anything it's still enjoyable. I get to look at a beautiful lake surrounded by forrested shores and spot the occasional wildlife that wanders by (usually birds and sometimes beavers). And the bike ride there gives me some exercise. Therapy for the soul.

edit: I read some local advice at a swedish fishing forum with some people lamenting the lack of pikes this week in my lake. The advice from the more knowledgeable members are similar: middle of october one should fish for pikes near capes, bays, and along shores where depths range between 2 and 5 meters as long as water temperatures exceed 4 degrees C. And preferably where cabomba and pondweed grow.

Some adviced that one should wait until the water temperature drops a couple of degrees for the autumn fishing to get better.
11 degrees feels pretty drat cold already, but i'm not a pike so what do i know.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Arctiidae
Jul 4, 2012
Anyone here ever done serious Tenkara fishing? I love backpacking, so the compact rods look fantastic, but I have no clue about it. Any advice?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arctiidae posted:

Anyone here ever done serious Tenkara fishing? I love backpacking, so the compact rods look fantastic, but I have no clue about it. Any advice?
A good buddy of mine swears by it. The rods are pretty fragile, though. He claims that it's the best way to present small dry flies and soft hackles.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Tenkara is wonderful for backpacking trips to alpine lakes and small streams. I've been using Tenkara gear for a couple of years now.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
Went out for bulls yesterday, almost end of season here for outside the city.

This guy took a good 10 minutes to net with me fighting while my buddy ran around in the water. Not the biggest bull I've caught but probably the most fun fight.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I spent the weekend up at Lake of the Woods and had some good fishing! We got to the cabin at about 4:30 and got out on the water by 5 PM. We saw a few boats stacked up in an odd spot for this time of year so we decided to check it out. As soon as we got on the same contour line as they were we started graphing fish. You couldn't put a jig on the bottom without getting bit INSTANTLY. We fished for a little over an hour and put 26 fish in the boat, but probably missed twice that many bites. It was fast and furious.

We got up on Saturday expecting heavy winds(if it's windy you just flat out don't fish Lake of the Woods, way too dangerous), but it was calm! We hustled to the harbor and started fishing around 9:45. We had our 8 walleye limit in 40 minutes, and had 42 fish in the boat by 11:30. The size of the fish was really nice too, I think we had 6 or 7 slot fish(19.5"+), and all our keepers were like 17-19", just beautiful fat walleyes. Biggest of the day was this SUPER fat 24.5 incher. I also caught a few pike which was fun, had a ~35" pike get off next to the boat :(.

Fishing slowed down and we ended the day with only 74 fish for the two of us. Sunday was too windy to fish so we fixed a bunch of stuff around the cabin and headed home on Monday. Overall a pretty good weekend!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

I spent the weekend up at Lake of the Woods and had some good fishing! We got to the cabin at about 4:30 and got out on the water by 5 PM. We saw a few boats stacked up in an odd spot for this time of year so we decided to check it out. As soon as we got on the same contour line as they were we started graphing fish. You couldn't put a jig on the bottom without getting bit INSTANTLY. We fished for a little over an hour and put 26 fish in the boat, but probably missed twice that many bites. It was fast and furious.

We got up on Saturday expecting heavy winds(if it's windy you just flat out don't fish Lake of the Woods, way too dangerous), but it was calm! We hustled to the harbor and started fishing around 9:45. We had our 8 walleye limit in 40 minutes, and had 42 fish in the boat by 11:30. The size of the fish was really nice too, I think we had 6 or 7 slot fish(19.5"+), and all our keepers were like 17-19", just beautiful fat walleyes. Biggest of the day was this SUPER fat 24.5 incher. I also caught a few pike which was fun, had a ~35" pike get off next to the boat :(.

Fishing slowed down and we ended the day with only 74 fish for the two of us. Sunday was too windy to fish so we fixed a bunch of stuff around the cabin and headed home on Monday. Overall a pretty good weekend!
Nice walleye. When Lake of the Woods is hot, it's hot. I wish I could get up there more often than once a decade.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've recently gotten into kayak fishing. I've always lived near the FL coast and have fished most of my life. After recently catching the ocean kayak bug, I realized pretty quick that you can get to areas that would demolish even a well rigged flats boat.

The setup:

14' Perception Prism Sit on top Kayak
DIY milk crate with rod holders
DIY anchor trolley
DIY stakeout pole
a shitload of parachute cord for tethering things.

If you have the tinkering bug, you can have a lot of fun rigging up various things to make the fishing easier, and save a ton of money to boot. For instance I made the anchor trolley out of a ring, two swivel snaps and about 30 feet of paracord when kits for this cost 50 bucks or better.

I live in the Florid panhandle and there's a TON of places to launch and catch red drum(redfish), Speckled sea trout, bluefish, flounder, cobia, all from protected waters. I generally go out either in the St Marks area or Panacea.

I tried a new area last weekend with pretty awesome results.

I paddled out about a mile to where there is a series of oyster bars at the mouth of a small creek emptying into the bay. As soon as the tide started to come in, I caught this little guy.

16" Redfish, but not a keeper with the current Florida regulations. Tossed him back and moved a little deeper out.

There's one large oyster bar a couple hundred yards out from where they usually put the crab pots. As the tide started coming in, there were birds roosting on it, water is almost rolling in over it. I eased up around it, turned and drifted on the current back towards the end of it. Tossing a gulp shrimp on a 1/16 jighead and BAM, not even 10 feet from my 'yak, this guy takes me for a ride.

24" Redfish! I use a Penn International 965 with 12 pound line on it, and he nearly spooled me twice. By the time the fight was over, I was about 50 yards away from where I hooked him, including a couple of times where he ran under the bow. All I had with me was a stringer, so I ended up coming in after that for fear of losing him to numerous bull sharks in the area.

Obligatory fish selfie

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Farking Bastage posted:

I've recently gotten into kayak fishing. I've always lived near the FL coast and have fished most of my life. After recently catching the ocean kayak bug, I realized pretty quick that you can get to areas that would demolish even a well rigged flats boat.

The setup:

14' Perception Prism Sit on top Kayak
DIY milk crate with rod holders
DIY anchor trolley
DIY stakeout pole
a shitload of parachute cord for tethering things.

If you have the tinkering bug, you can have a lot of fun rigging up various things to make the fishing easier, and save a ton of money to boot. For instance I made the anchor trolley out of a ring, two swivel snaps and about 30 feet of paracord when kits for this cost 50 bucks or better.

I live in the Florid panhandle and there's a TON of places to launch and catch red drum(redfish), Speckled sea trout, bluefish, flounder, cobia, all from protected waters. I generally go out either in the St Marks area or Panacea.

I tried a new area last weekend with pretty awesome results.

I paddled out about a mile to where there is a series of oyster bars at the mouth of a small creek emptying into the bay. As soon as the tide started to come in, I caught this little guy.

16" Redfish, but not a keeper with the current Florida regulations. Tossed him back and moved a little deeper out.

There's one large oyster bar a couple hundred yards out from where they usually put the crab pots. As the tide started coming in, there were birds roosting on it, water is almost rolling in over it. I eased up around it, turned and drifted on the current back towards the end of it. Tossing a gulp shrimp on a 1/16 jighead and BAM, not even 10 feet from my 'yak, this guy takes me for a ride.

24" Redfish! I use a Penn International 965 with 12 pound line on it, and he nearly spooled me twice. By the time the fight was over, I was about 50 yards away from where I hooked him, including a couple of times where he ran under the bow. All I had with me was a stringer, so I ended up coming in after that for fear of losing him to numerous bull sharks in the area.

Obligatory fish selfie

Nice fish and nice report. But if a 24" red is spooling you on 12# test, you need to turn up your drag.

BTW, I'd love to hear a bullshark kayak fishing story. :P

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Nice fish and nice report. But if a 24" red is spooling you on 12# test, you need to turn up your drag.

BTW, I'd love to hear a bullshark kayak fishing story. :P

The only one I have is me getting the poo poo scared out of me when they ripped up a school of mullet 50 yards away from me and I screamed like a girl and hauled rear end home.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

The only one I have is me getting the poo poo scared out of me when they ripped up a school of mullet 50 yards away from me and I screamed like a girl and hauled rear end home.

If it makes you feel any better, I had the crap scared out of me earlier this year when a beaver smacked the water with its tail about 15 feet in front my of kayak. I jumped so high out of my seat I almost fell out into the water.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

For the last five weeks we have been snorkeling and fishing (working trip) in Florida.

Five minutes after we saw two sharks swim by my wife announced she was "cold" and was heading in. She didn't snorkel the reef again..

Caught this baby in the same area.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 26, 2013

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
A few years ago I was hooping for lobster in SoCal, and one night I pulled up a 2 foot shark and promptly dropped him in my lap. It was better than the time I impaled my arm on a sculpin though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Armed Neutrality posted:

A few years ago I was hooping for lobster in SoCal, and one night I pulled up a 2 foot shark and promptly dropped him in my lap. It was better than the time I impaled my arm on a sculpin though.

Ha luckily you didn't end up with a botched vasectomy.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It was pretty slow today, but I managed to get a 19" speckled sea trout

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It was too rough to go out this weekend, so I spent some time rigging.

Got the anchor trolley made and installed, semi-permanently attached the crate, and started on a retractable rudder since that boat crabwalks like hell in the wind.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Caught and ate a nice blacktop shark tonight. Tasty and delicious and a nice ending to the annual leadership meeting at work. Going to miss the coast of Florida when I pack up for the trip home l..

Blacktip is probably one of the best tasting sharks out there. I prefer it blackened and thrown on a grill personally.

Farking Bastage posted:

I find it hard to believe that you'd get into areas I couldn't get into with a flats boat unless width is a big factor.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 5, 2013

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I find it hard to believe that you'd get into areas I couldn't get into with a flats boat unless width is a big factor.

You get far up enough into the oyster beds where the big uglies are tailing, it can be pretty treacherous.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

I've been fishing Pikes in places like above (shallow, reedy areas) in a large swedish lake now in autumn. So far not a single bite. Where have the pikes gone? I'm looking to fish this weekend, and i feel like i must try someplace new.

It has been blowing and will blow wind Southwest so at least i know which side of the shore to pick.

For the record, the water temperature is around 8 degress centigrade.

I live in the Stockholm area and on the western side there's a baltic archipelago/coast which houses trout which are almost in season now. I'm tempted to try something new, so i might give trout fishing a go.

So a question about trout, can you fish for them with regular spinning reels? Never fished for trout before so i know very little. And if so, what kind of lures are they attracted to? How much are they able to resist and pull while hooked compared to a pike of the same size?

edit: When i say "trout" i mean the European one, Salmo trutta, specifically the oceanic subspecies Salmo trutta trutta.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 6, 2013

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Falukorv posted:

So a question about trout, can you fish for them with regular spinning reels? Never fished for trout before so i know very little. And if so, what kind of lures are they attracted to? How much are they able to resist and pull while hooked compared to a pike of the same size?

edit: When i say "trout" i mean the European one, Salmo trutta, specifically the oceanic subspecies Salmo trutta trutta.

I don't know a ton about trout fishing, I've only ever done it a little bit in some small streams in Minnesota. What I DO know is that they like both worms and spinners. A smallish mepps spinner works great in streams, and just about any trout will eat a live red worm/nightcrawler.

As for how much they fight, brown trout are very strong fish and quite acrobatic. They offer very good sport on a pound for pound basis.

Now I have a question for you guys, I just got engaged and we've decided we are going to Alaska for our honeymoon! I couldn't be happier. Anyone fished up there before? We will probably get to fish 2 or 3 days while we are there, I'm planning on spending most of our time on the Kenai peninsula, so we just have to decide where we fish. We will definitely do silver salmon/rainbow trout fishing on the Kenai, but then we have to decide where to halibut fish. There are charters out of Kenai, Homer and Seward, I'm just not sure if one area offers better fishing than the others. Anyone have any experience fishing up there?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Some fuckhead judge got his palm greased and lifted the gillnetting ban in florida. There's netters all over St Marks now and they are going to DECIMATE our fishery.

http://www.yousign.org/en/netbanpetition

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

This ABU Ambassadeur 5000 has rotted in my dad's garage since I was a kid( no disrespect intended towards my dad, he just never maintained things ). In this condition, it is nowhere near a collectors item, but man it casts a MILE after I spruced it up. The handle is a temporary since the original is missing, and My folks have the little leather case and parts kit at their place in Georgia. This is a "Three Screw" 5000 in perfect working order, but definitely worn. I'd love to figure out the manufacture date, since the production run on these was so long.

Inside, it amazes me that such a precision machine was mass produced in the late 50's-60's. No ball bearings in this one, just copper journals, but it casts amazingly well. All brass gears, the only plastic being a gear in the end cap being turned by cut gears on the end of the spool to drive the level wind. The Anti-reverse pawl is aluminum.

I didn't get a before pic, but this is post soaking disassembled. I ended up pulling it down a little further after this was taken.

Numbers hand engraved inside the end cap

Engraving inside the right cap

Bottom plate serial

Right half reassembled

End Cap back together

Ready to rock!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I highly recommend watching the documentary abu have on their youtube channel on their own birth as a company. They started out making reels that were designed for casting competitions, so its not too big a surprise that yours is able to cast a mile when its dialed in right.

Also, that thing looks gorgeous. I am fairly jealous. I went through a box of old reels that was out in my garage from my grandfather's hey days of freshwater fishing and fly fishing (in like the early 50's) hoping to find an old abu garcia or something, but no luck. I did find an old saltwater winch looking penn from the 70's though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I did a little more digging and it's a 1xxx xxx serial which points to a manufacture date in the late 1950's

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What rod are you using it on? It'd look awesome on a new abu garcia Vendetta rod with the matching red metal on each. But I really just think it'd be hilarious to have a 60+ year old reel on a brand new "high tech" rod.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

What rod are you using it on? It'd look awesome on a new abu garcia Vendetta rod with the matching red metal on each. But I really just think it'd be hilarious to have a 60+ year old reel on a brand new "high tech" rod.

It's a berkeley lightning rod, medium. They're fairly cheap and seem to hold up to all the salt water I put them through.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 10, 2013