Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Just watched this, thanks for the recommendation. Although I think I saw a trimmed version as the one on Netflix is only 76 minutes and Wikipedia says around 93 minutes. Still, it was good although really slow in the middle. The last 15 minutes when Jimmy just goes on a sort of drunken rampage is great. It reminds me of a monster movie, or even more so Griffith's Broken Blossoms. Know of any more films around that era dealing with alcoholism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

P-Zombie posted:

Hey, so I'm helping to run a B / genre Movie screening group that is going to show double features once or twice a month. I'm looking for double features of movies that work really well and compliment each other. Preferably something a bit older, or with a retro feel. To give an idea of what we're going for, the first double feature is They Live/Evil Dead II in early October.

Them (50's giant ant movie) followed by Tremors.

American Werewolf in London / Teen Wolf

Christine / Duel

Flash Gordon / Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (gently caress, please invite me to this one)

Escape From New York / Doomsday

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Is it too late to change it to They Live/Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Evil Dead II/Dead Alive?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

TrixRabbi posted:

Is it too late to change it to They Live/Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Evil Dead II/Dead Alive?

Good call. This sounds like a fun club, let's do some more.

Convoy / Cannonball Run

Rollerball / Soylent Green

Top Gun / Officer and a Gentleman

Return of the Living Dead / Zombies Zombies Zombies (an actually funny zombie stripper film, unlike Zombie Strippers)

Deep Impact / Armageddon

Lethal Weapon / Beverly Hills Cop

Beetlejuice / Ghostbusters

The Mission / The Emerald Forest

Stir Crazy / Cool Hand Luke

Starman / E.T.

TRON / Wargames

I'm not very good at this, but you make me want to plan some double bills for myself. Haven't watched enough movies recently, I need to fix that.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 19, 2013

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Con Air / The Rock

The Warriors / Switchblade Sisters

The Exorcist / The Omen

The French Connection / The Conversation

Blow Up / Blow Out

A Serious Man / Berberian Sound Studio

Shaft / Black Dynamite

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Angel Heart / Constantine

A Fistful of Dollars / Last Man Standing

The Warriors / Streets of Fire

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension / Big Trouble in Little China

Event Horizon / Sunshine

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

Shaft / Black Dynamite

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka/Black Dynamite

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'm looking for horror movies that deal with black magic, specifically scenes of secret rooms with symbols on the floors and ancient books and shelves upon shelves of alchemical ingredients. Anyone?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I Before E posted:

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka/Black Dynamite

For some reason I really don't like I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. But I really like Undercover Brother.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Starscream posted:

I'm looking for horror movies that deal with black magic, specifically scenes of secret rooms with symbols on the floors and ancient books and shelves upon shelves of alchemical ingredients. Anyone?

Check out that new show Sleepy Hollow, there's a ton of that.

Comedy option: Hocus Pocus

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! We're changing stuff around a bit, so it looks like one of the two films is going to be Halloween III: Season of the Witch, and I'm going to push for The Stuff as the second choice. But all these suggestions will be considered for future showings.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

For some reason I really don't like I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. But I really like Undercover Brother.

That works, too.
Undercover Brother/Black Dynamite

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I Before E posted:

That works, too.
Undercover Brother/Black Dynamite

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That too. Triple feature.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Coffee And Pie posted:

Check out that new show Sleepy Hollow, there's a ton of that.

On it, thanks!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I like you.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I brought this up not long ago but going to throw it out there again. What are the best films out there about alcoholism?

My current list:

quote:

The Cure (1917)
The Champ (1931)
The Struggle (1931)
The Wet Parade (1932)
The Lost Weekend (1945)
The Country Girl (1954)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962)
Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
Sarah T. – Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic (1975)
Barfly (1987)
When a Man Loves a Woman (1994)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Flight (2012)
The World's End (2013)

I ask because my I'm working on a large project about alcoholism and film and trying to get as wide of a scope on the subject as I can. I'm mostly focusing on American film, although I suppose significant foreign films are worth a look (and I've got The World's End on there which is British). Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Withnail & I of course!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Not explicitly, and I wouldn't say it's the best at anything, but Iron Man 2 is pretty much about alcoholism. And robots.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TrixRabbi posted:

So I brought this up not long ago but going to throw it out there again. What are the best films out there about alcoholism?

My current list:

I ask because my I'm working on a large project about alcoholism and film and trying to get as wide of a scope on the subject as I can. I'm mostly focusing on American film, although I suppose significant foreign films are worth a look (and I've got The World's End on there which is British). Thanks!

Here's a twofer: Last Night at the Alamo and The Whole Shootin' Match.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Factotum hits the mark from the first scene.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Analytic Engine posted:

Factotum hits the mark from the first scene.

Boy, I really didn't like that movie. Barfly is the far superior Bukowski film, if only for the fact that Mickey Rourke actually looks like a drunken bum and Matt Dillon looks like a pretty Hollywood actor trying to look like a drunken bum.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

regulargonzalez posted:

Boy, I really didn't like that movie. Barfly is the far superior Bukowski film, if only for the fact that Mickey Rourke actually looks like a drunken bum and Matt Dillon looks like a pretty Hollywood actor trying to look like a drunken bum.

I dunno, Barfly has the same vibe to me. It feels like Bukowski's fan fiction about himself. They give us all his facade without the cracks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

penismightier posted:

I dunno, Barfly has the same vibe to me. It feels like Bukowski's fan fiction about himself. They give us all his facade without the cracks.

Wow, I totally didn't get that vibe. Rourke is a terrible drunken slob in the movie and even tells the agent lady (paraphrased) "Look, it's not an act, it's not a romantic fantasy, I'm a bum and that's what I am"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rourke is still an exceptionally charming lout who gets to lay Faye Dunaway. It's a very romantic take on that character.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

TrixRabbi posted:

My current list:

I'm a big fan of Trees Lounge. Written, directed and starring Steve Buscemi about an alcoholic fuckup who can't manage to string together two good moments in his life before wrecking something.

There's also a movie called Drunks which I haven't seen yet but seems right up your alley.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I was just gonna say Trees Lounge. It's very well written.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I want to watch a sci-fi movie that is going to make me think. I loved Gattica and In Time.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

My current list:

Bad Santa

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

My current list:

Young Adult is a good one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

I want to watch a sci-fi movie that is going to make me think. I loved Gattica and In Time.

The obvious answer is 2001, but I'll be surprised if you haven't seen it. Other options:
Solaris (comes in both Russian and English versions. I didn't care for either but they both have ardent supporters. English version is more accessible, not only from a language standpoint)
Metropolis (available on Netflix or chopped versions for free in public domain)
Blade Runner (watch the Final Cut, not Theatrical. But for a lot of people, this movie can be slow on your first viewing and improves with each subsequent watch)
Primer (no movie will make you think more than this, just to keep up)
2046 (although I don't know if it's sci fi. An interesting discussion could be had about this).

e: Oh, and if you liked In Time (and have a tolerance for a bit of cheesiness), you might try Logan's Run

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 15, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enigma89 posted:

In addition to all the films regulargonzalez suggested:

Moon
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
THX 1138
Alphaville
Upstream Color
Europa Report (I actually haven't seen it but I hear it's good)
Videodrome
Prometheus
Looper
eXistenZ

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

TrixRabbi posted:

My current list:

Surprised no-one mentioned Arthur yet.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

TrixRabbi posted:

My current list:

Add Smashed to that list! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063781/

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is a bit of an odd request, but rewatching Once Upon a Time in the West made me realize that it and True Grit are the only Westerns I know of which feature interesting female characters. Most women in Westerns seem to be love interests or damsels in distress, if they are present at all. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some Westerns with a more nuanced portrayal of women.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Johnny Guitar. Meek's Cutoff.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The Quick and the Dead

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Blazing Saddles.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is a bit of an odd request, but rewatching Once Upon a Time in the West made me realize that it and True Grit are the only Westerns I know of which feature interesting female characters. Most women in Westerns seem to be love interests or damsels in distress, if they are present at all. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some Westerns with a more nuanced portrayal of women.

The Furies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Samuel Clemens posted:

McCabe & Mrs Miller, and Deadwood if you're up for a TV series (and haven't seen it).

• Locked thread