Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I'm not able to find what I wanted so I made this instead.

Natural Breaks

Government shut down means the site with TIGER files is down. I could probably other water files and make my own in order to make the map look right (implies areas which are actually water have vacant homes) but :effort: for something I'm just playing with.

e:
Standard Deviation (bad for this data)

Quantile (make much more of the city look worse)

Equal Interval (what vacant homes?)

GreenCard78 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Here's a nice cartogram. US states given an amount of land proportionate to their population. Fun twist, it's from 1911 and it's based off numbers from the 1910 Census.

This is kind of great. I love how most of the states are nowhere near their original locations. Kind of shows how much of the population was concentrated in the Northeast. I wonder what a similar map would look like today.

I like the contrast between Colorado and Utah.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Cow posted:

This is kind of great. I love how most of the states are nowhere near their original locations. Kind of shows how much of the population was concentrated in the Northeast. I wonder what a similar map would look like today.

Here's a density map from 2000 since all the relevant 2010 data has been furloughed:

quote:

2000 U.S. population density within each county (by parish in Louisiana), in persons per sq. mile (lower 48 states only):
0-1 (white),
1-4 (yellow),
5-9 (yellow-green),
10-24 (green),
25-49 (teal),
50-99 (dark teal),
100-249 (blue),
250-66,995 (violet).

It reminds me a lot of this population density map of China, although The US's boundary is the Mississippi river while China's is more the historic area controlled by China:

(for reference, everything in dark orange to red would be violet on the US map)

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

quote:

250-66,995 (violet).
This seems like a ludicrously wide bracket. I live in one of those isolated purple counties and things aren't even comparable to the sheer density of people you find in areas like Chicago or NYC.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, most of the urban population in the West coast is packed much more closely together is a close set of counties.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

computer parts posted:

Here's a density map from 2000 since all the relevant 2010 data has been furloughed:

I actually copied the 2012 county population figures into a spreadsheet about a month ago, so I have the relevant data just by sheer happenstance. I was working on making my own map when I realized the 1910 map doesn't include Alaska, which has some interesting consequences. Including such a large landmass and redistributing it makes the rest of the states balloon in size and all the West Coast states gets pushed out of the Continental US and into Alaska, so the map gets even more distorted.

Anyway, I found some interesting numbers playing around with the county information. 99% of Americans live in counties making up 58% of the US landmass, leaving 42% of the US to just 1% of the population. 50% of Americans live on 3 percent of land, and 5% of Americans (mostly New Yorkers) live on just 0.03% of the land.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

computer parts posted:

It reminds me a lot of this population density map of China, although The US's boundary is the Mississippi river while China's is more the historic area controlled by China:

I'm pretty sure the underlying cause of those large-scale population variations is much more fundamental than that:

(yellow on the US map corresponds roughly to bright green on the Chinese map)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gods drat it Americans, learn to use proper units already.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Do what most Americans do and convert it in your head, it's easier than asking some assholes on the forum change federal laws.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

LP97S posted:

Do what most Americans do and convert it in your head, it's easier than asking some assholes on the forum change federal laws.

I suppose, but you have to admit that it's silly:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I dunno about that, I was out with some British guys the other day who ended up talking about how many 'stones' they weigh. I can do pounds to kg, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you how many stones I'd stack up against.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Miles are also officially used for distances and traffic speeds in the UK.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Here is a House Map for last night's vote to reopen the US government and avoid a default.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

the jizz taxi posted:

I suppose, but you have to admit that it's silly:

Burma and USA are the only truly free nations in the world :911:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

computer parts posted:

(for reference, everything in dark orange to red would be violet on the US map)
It's politically loaded because of the inclusion of Taiwan/ROC too.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

Here is a House Map for last night's vote to reopen the US government and avoid a default.

Wow Arkansas is all green.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I still find it incredible that the entire state of Montana is just one single congressional district!

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

QuoProQuid posted:

I thought rural Colorado was supposed to have extra Obongo Oh No! attitudes?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

DrSunshine posted:

I still find it incredible that the entire state of Montana is just one single congressional district!

This is true of all states ~<1 000 000 population. Which I find amusing as a Canadian- half of our provinces would only get 1 congressional vote and 3 EVs in the United States System- and I'm being INCREDIBLY generous to PEI. As it is in our current system, small provinces are fairly overrepresented in Canada, particularly PEI.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ That's why we have a bicameral legislature. The House is meant to give power proportionally with population, whereas in the senate, since every state gets two senators, the small states are technically "over-represented" relative to their size. But it's done that way to ensure that the big states can't just all gang up and do whatever they want. ^ ^ ^

DrSunshine posted:

And Vermont, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Alaska.

As said, all states with populations less than a million.

But yeah, it does look weird in the larger states because there's so much area that's still one district, whereas with Vermont, its area is small enough that it doesn't look too out of place.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kainser posted:

Burma and USA are the only truly free nations in the world :911:

You forgot Liberia. :saddowns:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The beer of choice, by state:

I live two states over from Ohio and have never seen a can of Yuengling in my life. Also goes to show the amount of migration from the rust belt to the south

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PittTheElder posted:

Says the guy using a 24 hour clock. loving imperialist reactionary. :rolleyes:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Peanut President posted:

Says the guy using a 24 hour clock. loving imperialist reactionary. :rolleyes:
Maps maps maps.

Ireland get out :eurovision:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 17, 2013

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Yuengling only distributes near their breweries which really restricts their range. I was shocked to learn you can't buy it in Boston after getting a taste for it in suburban Alabama. It is possibly the only thing Birmingham does better than Boston.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bloodnose posted:

I dunno about that, I was out with some British guys the other day who ended up talking about how many 'stones' they weigh. I can do pounds to kg, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you how many stones I'd stack up against.
If it helps, 1 stone is 14 pounds.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kainser posted:

Maps maps maps.

Oh I thought he was making a French Revolution joke. Was about to reply with something about it being Vendémiaire but was having trouble finding an actual joke to go with it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

Oh I thought he was making a French Revolution joke. Was about to reply with something about it being Vendémiaire but was having trouble finding an actual joke to go with it.

I was.

For the uninitiated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^ Welp

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Revolutionary Time units, I just posted that map since I thought it was tangentially related.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kainser posted:

Maps maps maps.

Am I crazy or is it mainly former British Colonies who use 12 clock increments?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

Am I crazy or is it mainly former British Colonies who use 12 clock increments?

England fucks up everything that it touches.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

arhra posted:

I'm pretty sure the underlying cause of those large-scale population variations is much more fundamental than that:

(yellow on the US map corresponds roughly to bright green on the Chinese map)

That doesn't really explain California though.

I mean yeah it's probably a major factor but "was settled for more than 120 years" is probably a major factor too.

Echo Chamber posted:

It's politically loaded because of the inclusion of Taiwan/ROC too.

The interesting things about Taiwan is that both governments agree that it should be part of mainland China, they just disagree who should rule mainland China.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife was utterly shocked that no one knows 24h time here an she has to convert everything to am/pm for anyone to understand. Her phone and computer show 24h and I still can't figure it out. I'll glance over to check the time, sit there doing math and then just give up and ask her. I have been educated stupid.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Baronjutter posted:

My wife was utterly shocked that no one knows 24h time here an she has to convert everything to am/pm for anyone to understand. Her phone and computer show 24h and I still can't figure it out. I'll glance over to check the time, sit there doing math and then just give up and ask her. I have been educated stupid.
You honestly can't figure it out? It's like pathetically easy

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

tbp posted:

Not gonna lie, 21:49 is a hell of confusing time to decipher. My brain sees the 1 in the second digit spot, and immediately thinks "11 PM!".

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So what you're (baron) saying is, you don't know how to subtract 12?

Justufinhaamu
Nov 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

7 pm - 19:00

9 pm - 21:00

just add 1 in front and 2 to the latter number and you have it, simple as that

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

MrMenshevik posted:

Yuengling only distributes near their breweries which really restricts their range. I was shocked to learn you can't buy it in Boston after getting a taste for it in suburban Alabama. It is possibly the only thing Birmingham does better than Boston.

They just announced they'll be distributing in Massachusetts again

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I suppose it can be confusing if you're not used to it.

Most people where I live will still use 12-hour time in spoken conversations. You say you're going to meet up at eight, and not twenty hours, that would just sound weird. On the other hand, a 24-hour display makes much more sense to me than a 12-hour one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

tbp posted:

My girlfriend can't do it either and makes me translate the time for her if I use 24H.