Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

I tell it what fits

how about if what fits is an apple product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what I do on personal projects is use bootstrap + jquery for the frontend and the backend is a json api. also jsr 303 for input validation and a custom exception resolver. it makes controller code rly clean bc you only have to code the happy path--jsr 303 validates the input and if anything goes wrong (including validation) the exception resolver returns the error details.

idk how well it would scale to larger projects but making small webs is almost not painful at all doing it this way

post ur skeleton project

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

post ur skeleton project

no thanks, its not worth the effort to remove pii

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Internaut! posted:

and if you ever get tired of working with people who wear mandals all year round, learn yourself some matlab and excel

please don't careershame

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
please dont post shame

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
please dont shame shame

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i don't think i like this word

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
hey, tef: the sierpinski triangle page to end most sierpinski triangle pages ™

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

neat. that is a thorough page

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I'm really starting to think that 'bad languages' really just enable bad programming/programmers. They aren't 'bad' in themselves.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm really starting to think that 'bad languages' really just enable bad programming/programmers. They aren't 'bad' in themselves.

i used to think this before i learned php. its a bad language because it makes good programming harder than it needs to be and encourages hacky shortcuts. thats the only language im willing to say is categorically bad. other languages might be mostly bad but the badness is conditional on the environment theyre used in

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i used to think this before i learned php. its a bad language because it makes good programming harder than it needs to be and encourages hacky shortcuts. thats the only language im willing to say is categorically bad. other languages might be mostly bad but the badness is conditional on the environment theyre used in

same except also about matlab

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Okay but that's PHP.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

2banks1swap.avi posted:

they can be bad in the sense they're

- badly designed. features added with little or no consideration to how they interact with the rest of the language, arbitrary and adhoc naming and argument ordering
- badly engineered. the platform or runtime is buggy, slow, or weird for no good reason

and also badly used. but it turns out php is badly designed and implemented, as well as used badly.

see the problem is with this knife is not that it doesn't have a handle, it's that you don't have the know how to pinch it without cutting yourself, oh and calluses from where you've cut yourself enough

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this is real neat and slick

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I think its unavoidable that every language have badly designed aspects bc i don't think anyone can get everything in a pl right the first time

so they either have to evolve while maintaining backward compatibility and so they accumulate cruft, or they stagnate and miss out on adding nice new features

then there's those like php of course :shrek:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

or with lisp you can create any language you want from it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

git clone trooper posted:

you can do that with any lang to any other lang fyi

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Bloody posted:

you can do that with any lang to any other lang fyi

I saw a non ironic project once that tried to blend js with c++.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

how about if what fits is an apple product

don't be obscene

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

they are bad because they encourage bad programmers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so i was reading through the jade4j docs and that led me back to node.js and express and redis and all that fun stuff

i ... actually kind of like it

guys help

i mean don't get me wrong i'd never use redis in anything that i could see being widely used or, you know, deployed on a virtual server, since it pretty much scales right into a brick wall, but man would it be nice not to have to deal with a diahorrea soup bowl of pungent poo poo from the 1970s to store a data.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I saw a non ironic project once that tried to blend js with c++.

im the previous incarnation of my current idiot spare time project (a gaem engine) i decided to use js as scripting language (using google v8 bc at the time I thought it was the most reasonable choice performance wise) so i made a thing to easily expose my c++ classes and methods to v8

I decided to go back to lua tho bc it turns out luajit is faster than anything else

ideally I wouldn't have to put a disgusting plang into my engine but w/e

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
He was somehow trying to "add js stuff to C++" (why???) while also giving javascript the ~power of pointers~ and it didn't even seem coherent.

I can't find this abomination anywhere anymore. I'm hoping it's gone forever.

Also Lua looks like some cool poo poo.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Shaggar posted:

guice is google which means it died in beta. don't use it. also you shouldn't have annotations related to spring in ur code.

what guice is fine and will live on forever

a mysterious ghost, haunting your constructors with spooky objects you can't find

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
in terms of embedding programming languages, especially in pc games, you can't beat lua/luajit. although there are a couple of high profile games that use python, civilization being the big one that i can think of.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

spongeh posted:

in terms of embedding programming languages, especially in pc games, you can't beat lua/luajit. although there are a couple of high profile games that use python, civilization being the big one that i can think of.

yuck although boost::python is neato

embedding a lisp would be trivial i think only naughty dog did it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

they did it and regretted it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

yuck although boost::python is neato

embedding a lisp would be trivial i think only naughty dog did it

naughty dog went the other direction. they wrote their own lisp-like assembler, and then wrote a higher-level lisp-like language on top of that. re-writing the vendor sdk from the ground up probably had some impact on their delivery dates

their later games abandoned that poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

what i recall from a retrospective written by naughty dog guys is that one of the high ups had a huge boner for lisp and made them use the lispy thing. and eventually even he agreed that it was a bad idea

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lisp is a good example of a well engineered language that encourages bad engineering

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
abracdadr

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp

preceded by GOOL and supposedly only abandoned because sony bought em

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

naughty dog went the other direction. they wrote their own lisp-like assembler, and then wrote a higher-level lisp-like language on top of that. re-writing the vendor sdk from the ground up probably had some impact on their delivery dates

their later games abandoned that poo poo

i mean its academic

luajit owns so hard unless you're on arm or something use it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i meant scheme. lisp is a miserable pile of kludges

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

shrughes posted:

abracdadr

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

git clone trooper posted:

any language at all!

the only limit is yourself.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
adopt the Chuck Moore Way(tm) and change the problem until forth is an elegant* solution, then call everyone else who has solved the problem in a way that doesn't ignore all the ugly but necessary aspects an idiot pissfucker

also, refer to every language that isn't forth as C for some reason

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

spongeh posted:

civ 5 abandoned python in favor of lua

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Otto Skorzeny posted:

adopt the Chuck Moore Way(tm) and change the problem until forth is an elegant* solution, then call everyone else who has solved the problem in a way that doesn't ignore all the ugly but necessary aspects an idiot pissfucker

also, refer to every language that isn't forth as C for some reason

tell me more