Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The only thing I liked about that angle is Slaughter doing a tremendously maudlin but very effective promo afterwards where he broke down crying and saying he wanted his country back (while in full Sarge gear, standing in a classroom). I haven't been able to find it in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always had a soft spot for the Survivor Series match that year where Slaughter's team all got beaten without Slaughter getting in, then he came in and single handedly beat everyone on the other team. Except Tito Santana, as he got DQed. You can't say they didn't go all out in at least trying to make him a monster heel.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, the Slaughter title reign absolutely CRASHED numbers.

For example, the venue change for WM7. Supposedly for "security concerns". They actually moved from the LA Memorial Coliseum to the LA Sports Arena, because they knew they didn't have a hope in hell of getting the Memorial Coliseum even close to full.

I remember reading some kind of WWE-produced publication probably a decade ago where they bragged about what an accomplishment it was for them to fit everybody who had already bought tickets into the smaller venue. I give them credit for going all out spinning that story even ten years later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

budreck posted:

I always heard that the homophobic elements of the Goldust character came as a result of fans chanting slurs in the first two months of his debut.

Although the character was effeminate, the original gimmick was to be entirely movie based which is why his look was supposed resemble an Oscar. Sort of like a living version of an Academy award.

It wasn't until the Razor feud that they went full on homophobe. The Hollywood star/movie aspect was still incorporated but came secondary from that point on.
Dustin has said that when Vince called him up to offer him the gimmick, "he wouldn't say gay, but he kept repeating 'androgynous.'"

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DeathChicken posted:

I always had a soft spot for the Survivor Series match that year where Slaughter's team all got beaten without Slaughter getting in, then he came in and single handedly beat everyone on the other team. Except Tito Santana, as he got DQed. You can't say they didn't go all out in at least trying to make him a monster heel.

The best part of that match was that Santana's team was billed as The American Alliance or something like that and entered to patriotic music to defend America and such. His teammates were Nikolai Volkoff and the Bushwhackers.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Dustin has said that when Vince called him up to offer him the gimmick, "he wouldn't say gay, but he kept repeating 'androgynous.'"

Also, "ambiguous."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeffersonlives posted:

Slaughter was probably the coldest heel Hogan worked a significant program with in his entire 84-93 initial WWF run. The kind of heat Slaughter had was go away/"why are you doing this tremendously insensitive angle" type heat (and it was pretty limited), and they tried everything because Vince thought it was such a loving masterstroke.

That run is a lot better remembered today than it really was because all anyone remembers is Slaughter burning the t-shirt and the Mania match which by Hogan standards of the era was actually fairly good, but there was a year of heatless awful bullshit leading into and out of the Mania program.

Maybe I'm just caught up in the heat Sarge got for stealing the belt from Warrior.

Then again, why did they draw the Iraqi sympathizer angle out past WM?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The first I heard about the Iraqi Sgt. Slaughter gimmick was on the Greatest Stars of the 80's DVD, and in retrospect it's surprising they gave it so much time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Here's the promo where he turns back into U.S. loving face again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaXlbjHLqw

Different than I remember. Might have been multiple promos.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Red posted:

Maybe I'm just caught up in the heat Sarge got for stealing the belt from Warrior.

Then again, why did they draw the Iraqi sympathizer angle out past WM?

Typical Vince beating a dead horse poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Part of me really loves the Iraqi Sympathizer gimmick and I may have to see how many vignettes I can dig up for tomorrow's Nitro intermission.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Slaughter's return in 1990 seemed to be a far more interested character to me: an American heel sickened by the fact that the country had, in his mind, gone soft. The hostilities in Kuwait took things in a different direction, but an anti-American American is far more interesting to me than a turncoat Iraqi sympathizer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
After a short youtube search I have found enough batshit Slaughter Iraqi Sympathizer material to fill its own night. It is more insane than I remembered. If you like gifts, fire and such tomorrow night is going to be fun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

Meanwhile nobody said a thing when at the same time Shawn Michaels was parading around in the gayest outfit I've ever seen outside of a pride parade, and a lot of the outfits in one too.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 17, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

sticklefifer posted:

Meanwhile nobody said a thing when at the same time Shawn Michaels was parading around in the gayest outfit I've ever seen outside of a pride parade, and a lot of the outfits in one too.

Speaking as a gay man, you'll be hard-pressed to top Brutus Beefcake without doing so intentionally.

It was funny watching the cutouts of his pants rise higher and wider with each consecutive PPV appearance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sticklefifer posted:

I remember seeing a video of a fan outside a WWF event talking about Shawn Michaels posing for Playgirl and shouting,"I GOT NEWS FOR YOU SHAWN MICHAELS IT AIN'T LADIES THAT READ THAT MAGAZINE! :stare:"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ghostpilot posted:

Speaking as a gay man, you'll be hard-pressed to top Brutus Beefcake without doing so intentionally.

It was funny watching the cutouts of his pants rise higher and wider with each consecutive PPV appearance.

Fair point. HBK never had Brutus's assless mesh tights.

Also I like how the white outfit is Marilyn Monroe's Seven Year Itch dress with the skirt cut off and the rest slashed to ribbons. Plus zebra stripes for no reason. Lookin' real tough, Ed Leslie.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 17, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ghostpilot posted:

It was OSWReview that made me notice: He wore the same outfit at every wrestlemania up to about WM4, just with more and more cut away and replaced with mesh.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Brutus Beefcake was entirely intentional, and was Vince's oh so subtle attempts to appeal to a gay audience, even down to his billing from San Francisco.

Other fun Brutus facts: post wrestling he worked for the MBTA public transport service in Boston, a career move than was shortly lived after somone saw a bag of mysterious white powder hanging out of his pocket which in turn led to the entire network being shut down due to an anthrax scare. It later turned out that the white powder was cocaine, and brother Brutus was fired on the spot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As someone who didn't watch him in his (snort) heyday, Brutus Beefcake's existence bothers me. So his name is Brutus Beefcake, then he wins a hair match and becomes Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake. Like, you don't give a nickname to a guy whose billed name is already a nickname. Then he had six gimmicks in five years, and honestly all of them were better names than "Brutus 'the Barber' Beefcake."

I just really hate that name.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who didn't watch him in his (snort) heyday, Brutus Beefcake's existence bothers me. So his name is Brutus Beefcake, then he wins a hair match and becomes Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake. Like, you don't give a nickname to a guy whose billed name is already a nickname. Then he had six gimmicks in five years, and honestly all of them were better names than "Brutus 'the Barber' Beefcake."

Dude had SIXTEEN gimmicks over his career. As far as I know, that's a record.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

He and Greg Valentine had an awesome tag team name, though - The Dream Team.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
drat, I can't argue with that. That's more than Ottman, Tenta, or Shaw. (What is it with sloppy fat guys getting a bunch of gimmicks in early 90s WWF?)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
While I was searching for Slaughter begging for his country back, I found a interview where told Arda orcal two things (both which are likely bullshit, although one is somewhat believable)

1) Originally, he was supposed to manage Jack Swagger, bigoted patriot.

2) Bruce Willis bumped him from the G.I. Joe movie.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What was the deal with "Big Dick Johnson"? Was it just one of those things that Vince found hilarious?

Like I realize he was one of the writers, but it's odd that he was in so many TV segments, most of which were in the PG era IIRC.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Minidust posted:

What was the deal with "Big Dick Johnson"? Was it just one of those things that Vince found hilarious?

Like I realize he was one of the writers, but it's odd that he was in so many TV segments, most of which were in the PG era IIRC.

I think it's just one of those weird things Vince found hilarious. And I believe most of his TV segments were in the "Ruthless Aggression" era.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Minidust posted:

He was one of the writers in WWE at the time, and the gimmick was originally a punishment over some petty bullshit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Zack_Gochuck posted:

He was one of the writers in WWE at the time, and the gimmick was originally a punishment over some petty bullshit.

Yep, WWE is a terrible place to work.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Red posted:

Yep, WWE is a terrible place to work.

Still beats the ever loving crap out of TNA

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.
I want to know why people are forgetting the Goldust / Rowdy Roddy Piper Hollywood Back Lot Brawl Match. That match was awesome.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Onmi posted:

Still beats the ever loving crap out of TNA

Let's all just agree that being a carny is a terrible path to take in life.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The funny part is these writers are actually not carnies. They're the struggling writers with MFAs and a script under their arm that are a dime a dozen in LA. Picturing Vince blowing a gasket and being all, "Who put mustard on my god drat steak-wrap? Get in that thong!" to some self-entitled douchebag who has to be a writer because they think any job that isn't writing is a fate worse than death will never not be funny to me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The funny part is these writers are actually not carnies. They're the struggling writers with MFAs and a script under their arm that are a dime a dozen in LA. Picturing Vince blowing a gasket and being all, "Who put mustard on my god drat steak-wrap? Get in that thong!" to some self-entitled douchebag who has to be a writer because they think any job that isn't writing is a fate worse than death will never not be funny to me.
Why are you so hostile towards people who want to write for a living?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Because it makes me feel good about myself.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Chris DeJoseph, the writer in question, is one of the few ex-WWE writers who isn't a complete douche, so you're a little off the mark on that one. And even if he was, that's still no excuse for Vince to humiliate someone on TV for months because of backstage poo poo that doesn't matter, and it creates both a lovely work environment and a lovely TV product because Vince's weird pathology booking doesn't really draw any money.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I truly wonder what the WWE will look like once Vince dies. Will HHH air out his public shamings on TV or is he above that kind of behavior?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Big Poppa posted:

I want to know why people are forgetting the Goldust / Rowdy Roddy Piper Hollywood Back Lot Brawl Match. That match was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z58lVg234

Two crazy bastards making the most of the booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

I truly wonder what the WWE will look like once Vince dies. Will HHH air out his public shamings on TV or is he above that kind of behavior?
I think we can trust in HHH's ego to continue those. Hopefully of Dunn.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DeJoseph has been fairly open and positive about his time with WWE in the past. Dude didnt really mind getting oiled up and dancing every now and then. He got to party with The Boys on overseas tours for his contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ChikoDemono posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z58lVg234

Two crazy bastards making the most of the booking.

Vince: "This is VINTAGE Piper!"

I imagine Vince is screaming that into the mic everytime before Cole says "this is Vintage 'X'!"