Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Not gonna lie, 21:49 is a hell of confusing time to decipher. My brain sees the 1 in the second digit spot, and immediately thinks "11 PM!".

Tbf, I think the 24 hour clock can be confusing to anyone, when you're counting stuff like "what's the time six hours after 15:00" and you're meant to think 15 + 6, but think 5+6, "oh, 23:00". Cos like you have to use both, cos no one ever says "let's meet at 21".

Or maybe I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

My wife was utterly shocked that no one knows 24h time here an she has to convert everything to am/pm for anyone to understand. Her phone and computer show 24h and I still can't figure it out. I'll glance over to check the time, sit there doing math and then just give up and ask her. I have been educated stupid.

Don't feel bad, I still have to think really hard to understand an clock face. Nobody just ever taught it to me and there were always digital time displays around :shrug: So it goes both ways.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

politically-loaded maps and embarrassing nerd secrets

I admit I sometimes have trouble reading Roman numerals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ras Het posted:

Cos like you have to use both, cos no one ever says "let's meet at 21".

That's the real question. Do you folks in the 24 hour standard countries actually say that you'll meet people at 16:00 or whatever?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

That's the real question. Do you folks in the 24 hour standard countries actually say that you'll meet people at 16:00 or whatever?

Sometimes, yeah.

Most of the time we just say let's meet at 4.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

We always write the time in 24 hours, but we usually say things like "let's meet up at three o'clock" or "quarter past five" or something. But I've both heard others say, and have said myself, stuff like "Møtes klokka nitten?" (literally "meet at ninteteen?"). Depends on habit and such.

There's a big issue with kids not being too familiar with the analogue clockface, however, because digital clocks are so ubiquitous and they're set at 24 hour mode by default. Our primary schools have to make a real and sincere effort in trying to teach them the 12 hour clocks in early maths. :(

ulvir fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 17, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

In French and Japanese we do. If you want to really break your brain (and also learn something about how insanely busy Japanese society is), some bars in Japan will list their closing time as 26:00 (2 A.M.).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe for something like 16:35 I could see myself saying 'sixteen hours thirty-five', but almost never when it's a rounded hour. Then you just say you're going to meet up about four. I'm not even sure why, this is the first time I've given thought to this, it just doesn't sound right in the latter case.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The twelve hour split makes sense when you consider that subdividing a clock face into 24 would be difficult to read, and probably would have been cost prohibitive to make prior to the modern era because all of the mechanisms inside of the clock would have to be twice as precise.

All in all it boils down to a linguistic quirk that makes about as much sense to debate as y'all being a proper second person pronoun, or the singular they being acceptable. Some people do it, some don't, and the only benefit is a little more clarity as to the exact time being said. Its no surprise the military operates on a 24 hour clock even in 12 hour countries, when youre screaming orders into a barely intelligible radio you need as much precision as possible, but in the civilian world who really cares?

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

univbee posted:

In French and Japanese we do. If you want to really break your brain (and also learn something about how insanely busy Japanese society is), some bars in Japan will list their closing time as 26:00 (2 A.M.).

We routinely deal with timestamps going all the way to +32:00 at corporate. Useful for keeping track of some things I guess, but it tends to cause some... confusion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, in French you'll usually talk in 24 hour time. If you tried talking in 12 hour time people would give you weird looks if you asked to meet them at 4.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Well the French are weird.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

poo poo. Of course I live in the blue part. Well, at least I'm not in Iceland.

Electoral subdivisions of Iceland:

I imagine the Northeast has about five people living there.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Emanuel Collective posted:

The beer of choice, by state:

I live two states over from Ohio and have never seen a can of Yuengling in my life. Also goes to show the amount of migration from the rust belt to the south

It just came to Ohio a couple of years ago actually. I'm honestly not sure that I've ever seen a can of Yuengling, but I only drink a couple of times a year, even when I was in college and Pennsylvania natives would bring back Yuengling from home after breaks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Brit here, and I'm as wonky with time as I am with weights and distances. If I am giving an approximation I use the 12 hour clock, but when giving a precise time I use the 24 hour clock (e.g. it's either eighteen fifty six exactly or about five to seven). I set any clock I use to 24 hour mode.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Peruser posted:

Well the French are weird.

People often forget how far south the US is compared to Europe. New York City is south of Rome, and Miami is well south of Cairo. It's all Canada's fault because their stupid cold air makes the US way colder than it should be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tractor fanatic posted:

People often forget how far south the US is compared to Europe. New York City is south of Rome, and Miami is well south of Cairo. It's all Canada's fault because their stupid cold air makes the US way colder than it should be.
The Rockies also push the Pacific air that would normally keep the western US warmer in the winter down south over the Mexican Gulf, where Europe doesn't have anything preventing Atlantic air from keeping it mild in the winter. West coast climate is great.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Even though I already sort of knew it anyway because of the differences in latitude, I'm still kind of surprised to see so starkly that cold, grey, rainy New England gets so much more sunshine than cold, grey, rainy old England.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HookShot posted:

Yeah, in French you'll usually talk in 24 hour time. If you tried talking in 12 hour time people would give you weird looks if you asked to meet them at 4.

Really? I'm French and I usually talk in 12 hour time, 24 hour time kind of sounds like it's spelled out.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rincewind posted:

Even though I already sort of knew it anyway because of the differences in latitude, I'm still kind of surprised to see so starkly that cold, grey, rainy New England gets so much more sunshine than cold, grey, rainy old England.

You've never been out there in the summer, have you?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

tractor fanatic posted:

Yeah i find it a fascinating thought. My city (Stockholm) is a little north of Juneau, and i lived three years in a city north of Fairbanks. Sure doesn't feel like it. Thank God for the Gulf stream.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kavak posted:

To be fair even in Alaska they get really hot days in the summer.

Falukorv posted:

Yeah i find it a fascinating thought. My city (Stockholm) is a little north of Juneau, and i lived three years in a city north of Fairbanks. Sure doesn't feel like it. Thank God for the Gulf stream.

Guess what's ending soon due to climate change? :getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Really? I'm French and I usually talk in 12 hour time, 24 hour time kind of sounds like it's spelled out.

:siren: FRENCHMEN ARE USING DIFFERENT MEASURES OF TIME. NATIONAL UNITY IS AT STAKE. :siren:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What does the Académie française have to say about this grave matter? Heretics will be relentlessly mocked.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

computer parts posted:

To be fair even in Alaska they get really hot days in the summer.

Yeah, for four months out of the year I'm saying "I don't understand how anyone can live north of here" and four months out of the year I'm saying "I don't understand how anyone can live south of here" [in New England].

E: I suppose the answers are (a) heating and (b) A/C.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Falukorv posted:

computer parts posted:

Guess what's ending soon due to climate change? :getin:
Outside Northern Norway and Iceland, the Gulf Stream is not actually that important for the temperature in Europe, most of it is due to having a major ocean to the west.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe it's because I don't really talk to any young people in France (it's all my family) but yeah, we always talk in 24 hour time, even with my mom who's lived in Canada for almost 30 years now.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I've found that the easiest way to convert 24 hour time to 12 hour is to subtract 12 from any given time over 12 and add "pm" after it (ex. 17:22 - 12 = 5:22 pm)

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Rassle posted:

I've found that the easiest way to convert 24 hour time to 12 hour is to subtract 12 from any given time over 12 and add "pm" after it (ex. 17:22 - 12 = 5:22 pm)

Nah, too difficult. I just pull out my handy android time conversion app. It charges me a £0.10 microtransaction every time but it's totally worth it!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Kavak posted:

Most places get pretty hot and sunny during summer, I've lived in one of the Dark Blue areas and had fairly warm/sunny summers.

e; obviously anecdotal.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I had no idea whatsoever some countries didn't use AM/PM.

tractor fanatic posted:

I think you mean "awesome cold air". gently caress temperatures above 55.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kavak posted:

Well, I live here, I just tend to assume that summer is that terrible everwhere (even though it obviously isn't) and that our terrible winters cancel it out (apparently they don't. :v: )

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

That doesn't really explain California though.

I mean yeah it's probably a major factor but "was settled for more than 120 years" is probably a major factor too.

Here's why California can support a large population.

Rincewind posted:

Well, I live here, I just tend to assume that summer is that terrible everwhere (even though it obviously isn't) and that our terrible winters cancel it out (apparently they don't. :v: )

You should come to the Bay Area, the warmest time of year is now.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 17, 2013

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yeah, for four months out of the year I'm saying "I don't understand how anyone can live north of here" and four months out of the year I'm saying "I don't understand how anyone can live south of here" [in New England].

E: I suppose the answers are (a) heating and (b) A/C.

Such miserable extremes, why would anyone want to live anywhere but coastal Southern California?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SaltyJesus posted:

Nah, too difficult. I just pull out my handy android time conversion app. It charges me a £0.10 microtransaction every time but it's totally worth it!

You can do it in a regular calculator app also, just subtract 12 from the hour like Rassle showed and keep the minutes the same.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

duodenum posted:

Such miserable extremes, why would anyone want to live anywhere but coastal Southern California?

Coastal Northern California has 100% of the Mediterranean climate with 0% of the Southern Californians.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

withak posted:

Coastal Northern California has 100% of the Mediterranean climate with 0% of the Southern Californians.

Smog in the south, Smug in the north.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

withak posted:

It's too hot down there! :( I rather like having mild summers and morning fog all the time.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
First: An old (1892) map of ethnic groups in Macedonia as seen by the Austrians.

I can translate the legend if necessary. I hope it's understandable because I'm too lazy to type out that many labels.
By the way, everybody should check out the Wiki page for the Demographic History of Macedonia, it has some fascinating maps. There are nearly 40 maps on it.

A map of ethnic groups in Vojvodina, data taken from a 2002 census.

The legend from top to bottom: Serbs, Hungarians, Slovaks, Croatians, Montenegrians, Romanians, Bunjevci, Rysyns, Czechs
The best part is that this is by no means exhaustive because it leaves out Šokci, Banat Bulgarians, Ukrainians, Roma and many others.
A similar metric poo poo-ton of maps can be found on the Wiki page for the Demographic History of Vojvodina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Dusseldorf posted:

Here's why California can support a large population.

You should come to the Bay Area, the warmest time of year is now.

All American Canal, Best American Canal.