Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

internet inc posted:

I need a motorcycle Halloween costume.

Me and a dirtbike buddy are doing Ronnie Mac and Jimmy McGarth Jr. I just need a lovely helmet to saw the chin bar off of and a set of overalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Sometimes you just need to look at things from a different perspective.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just picked up my first bike a few weeks ago, an '85 Honda Nighthawk 450.

The bike itself is in unbelievably good shape, and it's been great to learn on. The throttle is nice and tame, it's easy to shift, and it's tall enough for me to sit on comfortably.

That's a good looking bike. I just got my first as well, an '80 Honda CX500:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Halo_4am posted:

It was 70 in October today, and I wasn't about to let that go to waste despite the rain. Shield is back on and ready for the fall :)

That is one great lookin' v-max imho. That shield and pannier combo really works! :)

Edit: And the mother fuckin' RIMTAPEE :hellyeah:

karms fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 13, 2013

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Bought this last night, absolutely love this thing. 2009 Speed Triple.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I took a little ride this evening.

I hit the Wisconsin (near Hampshire? ) line right around sundown, so I froze my rear end off getting back to Chicago. Glove liners, heated grips, and the bizarre hood thing built into my Teiz one piece suit really helped save the day.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

Bought this last night, absolutely love this thing. 2009 Speed Triple.

Brutal looking.

get some'a these guys for it, really helps keep you attached at the knees and looks good too

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/index.php/motorcycles/triumph/speed-triple-05-10.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

I don't give a poo poo, rimtape makes any bike look better.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Safety Dance posted:

I hit the Wisconsin (near Hampshire? ) line right around sundown, so I froze my rear end off getting back to Chicago. Glove liners, heated grips, and the bizarre hood thing built into my Teiz one piece suit really helped save the day.

Fall pics own, but yeah early morning/late evening rides can get pretty drat cold. Long underwear is where it's at.

Slavvy posted:

When I bought my first big 'generalist' bike I knew in my heart that I would diverge either to a hyper-focused sportsbike or a huge comfy sledgehammer. If I had gone the latter route I would basically own your bike.

So goddamn cool.

It's not quite the sledgehammer it appears to be. For all the poo poo they get for handling they're actually reasonably nimble. It regularly keeps up ok with a Norge and a K1200 in the corners until about 60 which is where the frame flex starts to kick in and I back off for fear of death. That's :lol: compared to a sport bike but it's well beyond baggers.

Quite honestly though if it weren't for the 80's muscle V4 air-scoop attraction of it I probably would have ended up on a Guzzi Griso and been much happier in the turns with everything except straight lines. Fortunately - I live in Illinois and only find a sharp turn I can exceed 60 on when I travel 100's of miles to find it.

Plenty of on-ramps and stop lights here though :getin:

Shimrod posted:

That seat looks so fricken comfy.

Recovered and slightly reshaped stock seat. It looks more comfy than it is.

KARMA! posted:

That is one great lookin' v-max imho. That shield and pannier combo really works! :)

The panniers are made out of some dude's garage. He does a nice job keeping them slim while maximizing storage space, there's even a small mold out on the inside to clear the shocks. Especially nice design on the quick release brackets. The round shape really makes them look smaller than they are and keeps the muscle bike looking as slim as possible while in bagger mode. They can fit a case of soda in them with ease. Go go community mods :)

The rimtape is the stock Yamaha wheel they've been doing across the line on their more recent bikes.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Welcome to Wisconsin! Have a brandy old fashioned, a butterburger, and some cheese curds. Then get yourself an angioplasty. I have found the #1 key to riding in the cold is making sure there is no way for air to get into your sleeves. I take a couple lengths of this stuff:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Velcro-12-ft-x-3-4-in-One-Wrap-Strap-90340/202261925#.UlwRoIYQZnM

and wrap it tight around the wrist area of my jacket. Your wrists are highly sensitive to temperature.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Here's the '85 Vespa px200e, as seen in riding game.

1976 cb750 when I got it.

Here's my awesome design render.

So far she has been cleaned/de-rustified, fenders, mirrors, and blinkers off, runs, has the new bars, cables, e.starter, and brakes.
Just need seat, brake light, bar-end mirrors, grips, pinholes in the tank fixed, short to ground somewhere isolated, and tires.
Aaaaand i'm totally leaving the ancient leather bags on.

Will post pics when complete.

Note to purists: nothing will be cut or chopped on this bike, if I ever sell her she should still be a good start for a resto.

e: for tipe gud.

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 14, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

The rimtape is the stock Yamaha wheel they've been doing across the line on their more recent bikes.

Those wheels really help update the look of the bike, personally I can't stand standard 70s/80s UJM-style rims.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't give a poo poo, rimtape makes any bike look better.

Rimtape is loving awesome and I still need to decide on a color for my black-and-grey beast.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Hugh Malone posted:

Here's my awesome design render.

So you're going to do the same things to it that every hipster that ever touched one did to theirs?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
He's goin' to put a normal seat on it, not one of those goofy bumpy looking things, he's not turning it into a cafe racer.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I don't think you're interpreting his schematic properly.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Backov posted:

So you're going to do the same things to it that every hipster that ever touched one did to theirs?

Yeah, don't do that

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took my new SV up to the mountains on a whim this weekend.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

thylacine posted:

He's goin' to put a normal seat on it, not one of those goofy bumpy looking things, he's not turning it into a cafe racer.

My first thought was that he was gonna put some kind of very long haired green rug on the seat.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I'm doing dumb things (no fenders, no blinkers) but only dumb things a smart person can undo later.

The seat will basically be a lowered version of a stock banana seat because I'm short, and the bars are really close to original stance but shorter and cooler looking.

No downbars, no bumstop, no rear controls.

Not a cafe.

That king/queen seat, luggage rack, and bullhorn bars are all aftermarket anyway...

Edit :)

Backov posted:

Hipsters... That's so 2008.

No, hipsters have dumb straight pipes and bars their friends made all crooked and cheap with a bunch of tape holding foam to the bike for a seat. Also they will paint over og stuff with flat black house paint. ATGATT = denim cut + goggles, will quit riding and get a car when "it won't start".

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 15, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gweenz posted:

Welcome to Wisconsin! Have a brandy old fashioned, a butterburger, and some cheese curds. Then get yourself an angioplasty. I have found the #1 key to riding in the cold is making sure there is no way for air to get into your sleeves. I take a couple lengths of this stuff:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Velcro-12-ft-x-3-4-in-One-Wrap-Strap-90340/202261925#.UlwRoIYQZnM

and wrap it tight around the wrist area of my jacket. Your wrists are highly sensitive to temperature.

My sleeves were sorted thanks to my gauntlets, and my neck was mostly okay once I figured out the hood thingy on my suit. The worst part was just the fact that I was wearing a tee shirt under a textile suit. If I'd been wearing a sweater, I would have been okay.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Something mysterious has happened. Perhaps you can help me.

I walked into my driveway this morning and found this Ninja turtle:

But when I got home it seems the Honda fairy took my cute little 250 and dropped this ridiculously sexy noisy monstrosity in it's place!

So my question is, what do I have to do to turn this into a Ducati SportClassic?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

darth cookie posted:

So my question is, what do I have to do to turn this into a Ducati SportClassic?

Gutting the electrics should do it. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

darth cookie posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002L51R4/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

darth cookie posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-Hair-Body-Shower-Ounce/dp/B00BH4N1R2

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

all excellent (and funny) answers. Especially the tambourine.

I brought the red thing to my parents place since I figured I'd better own up in person rather than let them find out when my sister dobs me in on facebook.

They were more stoic about it than I'd anticipated. :v:

Test riding a bike that big from a little 250 was an experience:

"Huh, this feels a little slo... HOLY gently caress WHY AM I DOING 140KPH!?" :byodood:

and the noise... :fap:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

darth cookie posted:

I brought the red thing to my parents place since I figured I'd better own up in person rather than let them find out when my sister dobs me in on facebook.

"Huh, this feels a little slo... HOLY gently caress WHY AM I DOING 140KPH!?" :byodood:

Welcome to the Gotta Go Fast club. Man traffic is sure going slow getting up on the highway oh wait I'm doing 110mph whoopsie.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 17, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

darth cookie posted:

The VTR1000's I've ridden felt really slow too. Then you look at the speedo.

I think it's a twin thing, I dunno.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I had that problem on my R1100GS. Feels like your going 50 when you're going 110.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Woah woah woah y'all are letting the cat out of the bag....what if the GBS donercycle safety patrol are still reading CA? Ya just admitted to being worse than the 'biker gangs'!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

nsaP posted:

donercycle

Sounds delicious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Woah woah woah y'all are letting the cat out of the bag....what if the GBS donercycle safety patrol are still reading CA? Ya just admitted to being worse than the 'biker gangs'!

I told someone my bike is speed limited to 299 because of the gentlemen's agremeent and they said 'aaah you'll never find enough space to do that on a public road anyway so it doesn't really matter, you'd need a really long straight!'. Well, technically it gets there in less than twenty seconds so I think I could find the space if I were really dedicated to breaking the law.

Not that I would.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Hypothetically, on a Honda 929, the speedo simply holds at 185mph indicated, but the RPMs will keep going up.

Of course, I did this with such an aggressive regear that I never actually exceeded the speed limit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Hypothetically, on a Honda 929, the speedo simply holds at 185mph indicated, but the RPMs will keep going up.

Of course, I did this with such an aggressive regear that I never actually exceeded the speed limit.

Interesting, and bizarre! I worked out that mathematically my bike should be able to do more than 300km/h (100km/h at 4,000rpm, rev limiter at 13,00) so it presumably has a soft-limiter that retards timing or something at around 12,000 to stop it exceeding 300.

Aren't there a couple of zx-14 riders on here? Have you guys ever tested the speed limiter for science in a closed environment?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So the shiny red Honda I bought yesterday, rode around fine yesterday afternoon and evening, will not start this morning.

I think I was pretty calm when I was on the phone to the dealer to inform him of this.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Not start how?

The battery is probably dead. Happened like a week after I bought my briefly owned cruiser. They said they'd replace it but loving driving 90 miles round trip.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It has some juice at least, the thing turns over, but just won't start. It's really weird. Started about half a dozen times perfectly yesterday afternoon.

But for some reason this morning it just doesn't want anything to do with it.

I called the dealer and they sent a guy around to look at it, and then when he couldn't get it running, put it in the back of the ute and it's off to the mechanic to figure out what the gently caress.

I'm pissed that it won't start, but I'm reasonably pleased with how quickly they've come around to get it sorted, and the fact that I don't have to do squat to get it towed to them or anything. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Interesting, and bizarre! I worked out that mathematically my bike should be able to do more than 300km/h (100km/h at 4,000rpm, rev limiter at 13,00) so it presumably has a soft-limiter that retards timing or something at around 12,000 to stop it exceeding 300.

Aren't there a couple of zx-14 riders on here? Have you guys ever tested the speed limiter for science in a closed environment?

Don't know about the 14 but on the 12 the speed limiter was pretty heavily embedded in the ECU and was a hard cut of the ignition - exactly what you want at that speed - so the 200 Club guys (a small dedicated group of nutters in Fast Bikes magazine trying to get one to 200bhp, 200kgs, and 200mph - on a disused runway of course) just fitted a switch that effectively disconnected the speedo.

They managed the first two but only got something agonising like 199.5 mph, IIRC.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The thing that's amazing is these days you can just buy a factory S1000RR and put a slightly bigger rear sprocket on it, tape over some vents, throw the factory akro on it, and it'll hit an honest 200mph. And it'll be at around 200kg stock, probably under that with the akro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

The thing that's amazing is these days you can just buy a factory S1000RR and put a slightly bigger rear sprocket on it, tape over some vents, throw the factory akro on it, and it'll hit an honest 200mph. And it'll be at around 200kg stock, probably under that with the akro.

I'm willing to bet it'll be a lot trickier than that - that last 10 mph is an utter bitch. The stock ZX12 had "only" 160 bhp and could get to 185, the S1000 despite having 25% more oomph is only 5mph quicker, mainly because the ZX12's aerodynamics were specifically designed to get it up to those speeds when a superbike will make considerable aerodynamic sacrifices for improved cooling, etc. Even with those aerodynamic advantages a 200bhp ZX12 couldn't quite crack 200mph.

To quote the 200 Club article - "Aerodynamics is a real drag, man".