Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sartana posted:

Subjectivity is an issue with every show but It's Always Sunny seems like it has an especially broad scope of humor. It feels like everybody unanimously agrees that it's funny but has completely differing opinions about which episodes/seasons are the best and which are the weakest. I think people just find different elements of the show especially funny. You guys have both cited Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare as one of the weaker episodes but I've been watching it repeatedly and think it's one of my favorites of the entire show.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and well put. For instance, I generally notice myself laughing more at the calm moments, the delivery of a certain line, little glances between characters, etc, and I notice others laugh more at the physical comedy and over-the-top plot twists. There's a few things that most people seem to find funny universally, and a (small) few that nobody thinks is funny, and a whole lot of stuff in the middle that's hit or miss for different reasons with different people. I was thinking there were two types of Sunny fans, but that makes it seem divisive, and I don't think it's quite accurate..."broad" as you said puts it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

timp posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking, and well put. For instance, I generally notice myself laughing more at the calm moments, the delivery of a certain line, little glances between characters, etc, and I notice others laugh more at the physical comedy and over-the-top plot twists. There's a few things that most people seem to find funny universally, and a (small) few that nobody thinks is funny, and a whole lot of stuff in the middle that's hit or miss for different reasons with different people. I was thinking there were two types of Sunny fans, but that makes it seem divisive, and I don't think it's quite accurate..."broad" as you said puts it better.

I love the subtler jokes in this show, they're one of the things that set it apart from others of its kind. But I also get really massive belly laughs out of blood and puke and moans of pain and screaming and smashing things. For example all of Dee's bits after she gets chilli powder blown in her eyes kill me every single time I watch them, along with the climax of The Gang Gets Analysed from "White Christmas" onwards

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 18, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I love the subtler jokes in this show, they're one of the things that set it apart from others of its kind. But I also get really massive belly laughs out of blood and puke and moans of pain and screaming and smashing things. For example all of Dee's bits after she gets chilli powder blown in her eyes kill me every single time I watch them

poo poo what episode was that?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Benagain posted:

poo poo what episode was that?

Sweet Dee Gets Audited

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I actually thought the opposite of a lot of you. I though this season had been kind of disappointing so far but this episode was just fantastic

I agree somewhat. I think this series has maintained a high standard but hasn't quite been hitting the peaks that the best episodes of series 7 and 8 managed. This latest episode has been fantastic though, my favourite of the series (edging out The Gang Broke Dee), and a true slice of classic Always Sunny.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

FadingChord posted:

Flaccid.

Erect.

Flaccid.

Erect.

Not too hard. Not too soft.

Great Frank and Dennis episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

El Murguista posted:

Not too hard. Not too soft.

Great Frank and Dennis episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzkICG47LU&t=33s

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Kaitlin Olson just gave a pretty entertaining interview on Conan.

The highlight was her story about getting injured while filming the Lethal Weapon 6 episode. She and Rob had to go to the emergency room, and while they were waiting she noticed they were getting a lot of glares from people. She was trying to figure out why, and then realized it was because Rob was still in costume, including the blackface.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hannibal Smith posted:

while they were waiting she noticed they were getting a lot of glares from people. She was trying to figure out why, and then realized it was because Rob was still in costume, including the blackface.

Magnificent.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hannibal Smith posted:

The highlight was her story about getting injured while filming the Lethal Weapon 6 episode. She and Rob had to go to the emergency room, and while they were waiting she noticed they were getting a lot of glares from people. She was trying to figure out why, and then realized it was because Rob was still in costume, including the blackface.

Hahahah. They basically lived out something that would happen to their characters

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
You gotta ease up on talking about dicks man, it's just too much at this point.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
That helmet/beer dispenser was genius. And that line about 'eatin' bad pussy', holy poo poo.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
This is far and away my favorite season. There hasn't been a weak episode yet.

Also there were so many great moments from Season 7. I never understood why there was so much hate for it, but I also wouldn't say it was the best season.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

victorious posted:

That helmet/beer dispenser was genius. And that line about 'eatin' bad pussy', holy poo poo.

It was unbelievably stupid when Michael Douglas blamed his throat cancer on it, but for some reason Dee killed that line.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here's what he looked like at the hospital that day, too:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Mercaptopropyl posted:

This is far and away my favorite season. There hasn't been a weak episode yet.

Also there were so many great moments from Season 7. I never understood why there was so much hate for it, but I also wouldn't say it was the best season.

There was hate for season 7? I thought it was one of the best seasons. the only weak episode in my opinion was the episode with Franks brother. I thought it was universally agreed that season 7 was pretty drat good.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hannibal Smith posted:

:stare:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

IKillForPie posted:

You gotta ease up on talking about dicks man, it's just too much at this point.

Halloween costume idea... check.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I laughed so goddamned hard when Charlie poured that beer into his helmet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aatrek posted:

I laughed so goddamned hard when Charlie poured that beer into his helmet.

I laughed harder when I realized two minutes later the beer bottle was still in it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Charlie is going to make a beer-powered Jager in the Pacific Rim sequel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Trailer for Flowers for Charlie is up!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202241016815660

Not only is Burn Gorman in the episode, but Charlie basically ends up as Gorman's character from Pacific Rim. Complete with cane and accent.

This is going to be AMAZING.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So I guess I've gotta watch Pacific Rim this week then.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aatrek posted:

Ehhhh...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aatrek posted:

Most fun movie of the year, definitely worth a watch. Home viewings aren't quite IMAX, but hey.

Also Charlie Day is fantastic in it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If you watched Godzilla and Transformers and Voltron as a kid then you'll love the movie.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Was Charlie's costume an homage to Trip to the Moon, or am I looking into it too much?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

gifs

My favorite line was "Dennis is Spider-man."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If you watched Godzilla and Transformers and Voltron as a kid then you'll love the movie.

I watched neither due to geography, but Pacific Rim was a fun movie. Just roll with it and enjoy the spectacle.

E: I didn't like Transformers the movie

E2: Damning with faint praise I know

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

My favorite line was "Dennis is Spider-man."

The way Charlie delivers the "Hoo-ly poo poo. Dennis is Spiderman" makes it. I don't think I acknowledged that line on first viewing, but when I re-watched the episode it made me bust up. And you know, in that moment, that Charlie believed it.

Also, bravo on the thread title.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I thought Pacific Rim was absolutely god awful trash and Charlie was the only redeeming quality in it at all. And pretty much only because it's Charlie Day, and not because of his character.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

drunken officeparty posted:

I thought Pacific Rim was absolutely god awful trash and Charlie was the only redeeming quality in it at all. And pretty much only because it's Charlie Day, and not because of his character.

That's fine go complain about it in the Pac Rim thread. I love giant robots and monsters brawling. Del Toro as Pappy McPoyle and bringing Charlie to his Pacific Rim movie made my day.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 19, 2013

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

This made the episode for me. That face. After last week's smothering face, too.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
So, after the episode two weeks ago, the high school reunion episode and "the implication" episode (as well as several other small references) we are going to find out at some point that Dennis is a serial killer, right?

He's obviously a sociopathic sexual predator, so serial killer seems like a logical next step.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Unlike Mack's homosexuality, an actual reveal about Dennis would completely ruin the joke.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

No one's in any danger! How can I make that any more clear to you?

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I'm sort of confused by Charlie's line that his mom vaccinated him every month. Who the gently caress gets a flu shot every single month? Is that just Charlie being Charlie, or is there some joke there that I'm not picking up?

Also, I love the look on Dee's face when she's eating chips after smoking up in the planetarium in "Mac Day." I almost think she really was stoned in that scene, because it was so perfect.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Charlie and Mac have the best facial expressions when they are trying to process information.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

picosecond posted:

I'm sort of confused by Charlie's line that his mom vaccinated him every month. Who the gently caress gets a flu shot every single month? Is that just Charlie being Charlie, or is there some joke there that I'm not picking up?

I have a feeling that its just another part of Charlie's hosed up life. The "vaccinations" were probably something else and Charlie just doesn't actually know what a vaccination really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I have a feeling that its just another part of Charlie's hosed up life. The "vaccinations" were probably something else and Charlie just doesn't actually know what a vaccination really is.

Rabies shot, most likely.