Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

poo poo. Of course I live in the blue part. Well, at least I'm not in Iceland.

Electoral subdivisions of Iceland:

I imagine the Northeast has about five people living there.
Actually, due to being so far up north we get nigh constant sunlight in the summer, but get almost none in the winter.

That ain't a map though, so I'll post a pic of my favourite marginally functioning democracy:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Outside Northern Norway and Iceland, the Gulf Stream is not actually that important for the temperature in Europe, most of it is due to having a major ocean to the west.
At least we'll always have geothermal heating~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Well, I doubt an average drop of 5 degrees Celsius would be the end of the world.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
http://uxblog.idvsolutions.com/2013/10/the-dispersion-of-life-and-gender-in.html

I quick-checked back to the 7th when this was posted, but I may have missed it if someone else got it first:

quote:

This is a dot map of every person in New York City, colored blue-green for males and pink for females, segmented throughout their ages. It is an animated GIF map of the movement of life and gender in the city. Each dot represents one person.

There's some ridiculous-sized copies on his website, but this one already demonstrates some stark contrasts, such as 20-something women going to college and 20-something men going to riker's.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, I doubt an average drop of 5 degrees Celsius would be the end of the world.
As the old saying goes; there's no such thing as cold weather, only not enough clothes.

analogy6
Jul 1, 2004

OBAMAILURE

with poo poo like this, i really have to wonder how much hope it is rational or reasonable to have about the viability of the rest of humanity. maybe we should just round up every straight cis male and send them to queer camp.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Peruser posted:

Well the French are weird.

Honestly, I prefer the grey, dark and relatively snowless winters here in Brittany to having the constant, retina-burning glare of the sun off the snow back in Michigan.

e: Map is days of snowfall per place in France, even if it's just a few flakes

HookShot posted:

Maybe it's because I don't really talk to any young people in France (it's all my family) but yeah, we always talk in 24 hour time, even with my mom who's lived in Canada for almost 30 years now.

Most people I knew use 24h time in French but a few use 12h time sometimes. In Breton I've never heard anyone use 24h time and it would sound weird if they did. That said, having the 24h clock as second nature is one of the few good things I got from the Army.

As the old saying goes; there's no such thing as cold weather, only not enough clothes.

We always said "I never spent a winter as cold as the one I spent in Florida".

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 18, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wait, you're not serious are you? Because a 5C drop is about the severity of the last glacial maximum. You know, that time when Europe was covered by a big ice sheet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, you're not serious are you? Because a 5C drop is about the severity of the last glacial maximum. You know, that time when Europe was covered by a big ice sheet.
I don't recall if 5C was the exact number, but yeah, I think it's something in that ballpark the Gulf Stream adds to Iceland and northern Norway. Most of Europe only gets about 1C, which means it disappearing mostly just cancels out the increased temperature that would shut it down. Interestingly, the melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet would do something similar, by reducing the bulge of water its gravity causes that has lifted sea levels in the North Atlantic, while of course adding to the overall sea level. The break-even point is at about the distance of Denmark. (The opposite effect is in play for Antarctica though, and both together are bad news for the tropics.)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

Was this map used seriously somewhere? The whole thing looks like a joke.

"Afghanistan needs to be bigger, guys"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

I wonder what made them decide on that particular allocation of the Kashmir Region.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Was this map used seriously somewhere? The whole thing looks like a joke.

"Afghanistan needs to be bigger, guys"

It was drawn by Ralph Peters, noted rear end in a top hat and NY Post writer, so yeah.

Saudi Homelands Independent Territories?
Arab Shia State?

:rolleyes:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dusseldorf posted:

Here's why California can support a large population.

You should come to the Bay Area, the warmest time of year is now.

This map just underlines why I'm so mad the South Bay doesn't get any of that sweet, sweet Hetch Hetchy deliciousness. We get our water out of aquifers like some sort of bullshit. It's so drat close.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It was drawn by Ralph Peters, noted rear end in a top hat and NY Post writer, so yeah.

Saudi Homelands Independent Territories?
Arab Shia State?

:rolleyes:

Names aside, it's kinda hard to follow the Iraqi news recently and not think that the country might be on the verge of breaking up. And the hatred between Sunnis and Shias is very vitrolic in Saudi Arabia so it's not crazy to think that they might step up their resistance if Iraq breaks up. I don't know why hell he would want to break up Western Saudi Arabia though.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 18, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rosscifer posted:

Names aside, it's kinda hard to follow the Iraqi news recently and not think that the country might be on the verge of breaking up. And the hatred between Sunnis and Shias is very vitrolic in Saudi Arabia so it's not crazy to think that they might step up their resistance if Iraq breaks up. I don't know why hell he would want to break up Western Saudi Arabia though.

There is sort of an interesting discussion to be had about redrawing the map in countries that were invented for the convenience of imperialists. It's no longer raving lunatic territory to suggest that Syria might be better off split up, and I can understand the Iraq version getting some discussion in 2006. Unfortunately this turns from exotic policy proposal The NYT published another stupid map, with this editorial justifying it:

That's more like 17 countries out of 5 if you consider "city-states" to be a plausible thing! To me, though, it's a little weird that Tom Clancy Presents: The Middle East does not suggest that the Gulf states, Kuwait, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, or Jordan might be subject to avoidable conflict due to arbitrary imperialist decisions. The basic problem here is that you have to believe that "North Arabia" and all these other regions would actually be improved by splitting up, and setting up their own states, economies, institutions, etc. You think Americans will ever learn that nation-building is hard?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It's really useful how Israel never has to change it's borders in any of these maps.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"Shiitestan" :ughh:

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

LP97S posted:

It's really useful how Israel never has to change it's borders in any of these maps.

Also, Turkey with regards to Kurdistan.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I believe 2/3 of the world's Kurdish population would still reside in Turkey and Iran, rather than "Kurdistan".

LP97S posted:

It'd be pretty presumptuous for a Western scholar to try and solve such a complex conflict with a map change!

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There is sort of an interesting discussion to be had about redrawing the map in countries that were invented for the convenience of imperialists. It's no longer raving lunatic territory to suggest that Syria might be better off split up, and I can understand the Iraq version getting some discussion in 2006. Unfortunately this turns from exotic policy proposal The NYT published another stupid map, with this editorial justifying it:

That's more like 17 countries out of 5 if you consider "city-states" to be a plausible thing! To me, though, it's a little weird that Tom Clancy Presents: The Middle East does not suggest that the Gulf states, Kuwait, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, or Jordan might be subject to avoidable conflict due to arbitrary imperialist decisions. The basic problem here is that you have to believe that "North Arabia" and all these other regions would actually be improved by splitting up, and setting up their own states, economies, institutions, etc. You think Americans will ever learn that nation-building is hard?

Quick, someone poll Wahhabis how they would feel about losing Mecca.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Those names are terrible. How could you not name the middle state in that broken-up Arabia "Najd?" It's what that region has been called forever. Also, what's with the tripartite division of the Hedjaz, including that one "North Arabia" state that's just random stretches of desert?

The "-stan" convention is lazy-as-hell for "Sunnistan" and "Shiitestan" and shows a total lack of understanding of those areas, and while I understand that the Alawites wouldn't want to revert to État des Alaouites as the name for their country, they, too, could do better. "Shiitestan," if it were assembled, would probably be called Basra, both in reference to its capital and in reference to the fact that the Ottoman province that contained most of that land was simply named Basra. The middle state there, "Sunnistan," incorporates Damascus and Baghdad, the capitals of the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates. It's the land that was the beating heart of the Islamic world at its highest peak. Honestly, the word "Syria" wouldn't be bad for such a country, as the historical region does extend pretty far east.

It's a very stupid map, for a number of reasons. (Independent Fezzan for no reason comes to mind...Is that supposed to be a Tuareg homeland or something?)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Re: Middle East maps, yeah, they're terribly lazy. Also, does anyone seriously think breaking up countries is going to solve anything? As if Iran and Turkey would be cool with an independent Kurdistan? And something tells me that multiple small and unstable Shi'a-majority states, as well as the break-up of Saudi Arabia, would play into the hand of Iran, something that I thought was pretty much against the US's vested interests in the region.

I'm simultaneously in awe and angry at how clearly incompetent and stupid people along the likes of those who make maps like that, get to keep their jobs and are often even rewarded for their incompetence. I mean, a dedicated Victoria II player could probably produce a better map that was more in line with current geopolitical realism.

That ain't a map though, so I'll post a pic of my favourite marginally functioning democracy:

This map is baffling me on several levels:

- It lists most major cities in Flanders, but only one in Wallonia
- Namur is pretty small compared to Charleroi and Liège, neither of which are shown
- Mechelen and Kortrijk have dots, but apparently no names
- The map is apparently labeled in English, but uses Dutch names for the Flemish cities
- An attempt is made to label the German cities in German, but the map maker had no umlauts left or something (it's 'Köln')

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

Why yes, I did read that as Shitstain the first time. How did you guess?

Those are some horrible, horrible names.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

the jizz taxi posted:

Re: Middle East maps, yeah, they're terribly lazy. Also, does anyone seriously think breaking up countries is going to solve anything? As if Iran and Turkey would be cool with an independent Kurdistan? And something tells me that multiple small and unstable Shi'a-majority states, as well as the break-up of Saudi Arabia, would play into the hand of Iran, something that I thought was pretty much against the US's vested interests in the region.

I'm simultaneously in awe and angry at how clearly incompetent and stupid people along the likes of those who make maps like that, get to keep their jobs and are often even rewarded for their incompetence. I mean, a dedicated Victoria II player could probably produce a better map that was more in line with current geopolitical realism.

This map is baffling me on several levels:

- It lists most major cities in Flanders, but only one in Wallonia
- Namur is pretty small compared to Charleroi and Liège, neither of which are shown
- Mechelen and Kortrijk have dots, but apparently no names
- The map is apparently labeled in English, but uses Dutch names for the Flemish cities
- An attempt is made to label the German cities in German, but the map maker had no umlauts left or something (it's 'Köln')

Not saying it's not a terrible map and all of your other points are right, but it's using the local language for city names. And by calling Brussels Brussel, and not giving it its own colour, it seems to be claiming Brussels to Flanders. I think it's also kind of acceptable to disregard umlauts on capital letters, but you should be adding an E instead. So it's KOELN and DUESSELDORF.
But why Liege, Charleroi etc. aren't there I don't know.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He just googled for 'map of Flanders' and ended up on notorious right-wing blog The Brussels Journal. Mystery solved.

By the way, we helped shape freedom in America, so a little more respect please.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Israel is the only country whose borders could be completely simplified with a sweeping map change. Just take all of what they have and call it Palestine. Done. Also, don't make anyone leave, just have all ethnic groups participate in a democracy.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

He just googled for 'map of Flanders' and ended up on notorious right-wing blog The Brussels Journal. Mystery solved.

By the way, we helped shape freedom in America, so a little more respect please.

We... we did? But... how?

Also no true right-wing fantasy map of Flanders is complete without this bit:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For a second that map looked like it was from sea to shining sea and I was thinking, "drat, dream on you ambitious little motherfucker". Then I read the locations and realized I am just colorblind as gently caress.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The blue part is Romance Flanders. This, of course, also rightfully belongs to us. We just need to cure them of their nasty habit of always having spoken a form of French.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Rajssejn Freijheijt.

Flemish always looks like German with a lot of "j"s thrown in. And demons sodomizing people. Does that make me a racist?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In the case of a lot of cognates, the German 'ei' becomes 'ij' in Dutch. That's probably why you have that impression. And yes, you are a horrible racist, albeit a highly specific type of racist.

Aztec Empire right before the arrival of Cortés:

Looking at the extent of the tributary states versus the core area, it doesn't surprise me that he was able to find so many native allies.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
What makes those -stan names even worse, to me, is the fact that westernized names like Alawia or Wahhabia would actually make more sense, since that actually resembles a word that would be part of their names in Arabic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

made of bees posted:

What makes those -stan names even worse, to me, is the fact that westernized names like Alawia or Wahhabia would actually make more sense, since that actually resembles a word that would be part of their names in Arabic.

The other problem is that -stan is apparently a Persian surname, which would go over well in the former Saudi Arabia of course.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

What does the Académie française have to say about this grave matter? Heretics will be relentlessly mocked.

quebec.jpg

Speaking of,

One of the proposed ways Quebec would be sectioned off from Canada if they decided to separate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I support the renaming of Canada to "Canuckistan". :canada:

Population map of Canada, from the 2006 census.
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/population.html

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Nah, it was "Belgium Electoral Gridlock" but all those maps were poo poo so I went with the classical right wing option.

And that ain't nothing to be proud of son, not when you have Hergé and uh, I guess still having a functional state even if it is hopelessly split along ethnic lines?

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

univbee posted:

One of the proposed ways Quebec would be sectioned off from Canada if they decided to separate.

What's the little red enclave in the south? Part of Montreal?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AlexG posted:

What's the little red enclave in the south? Part of Montreal?

The tiny fleck is Montreal, yes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Phlegmish posted:

In the case of a lot of cognates, the German 'ei' becomes 'ij' in Dutch. That's probably why you have that impression. And yes, you are a horrible racist, albeit a highly specific type of racist.

Aztec Empire right before the arrival of Cortés:

Looking at the extent of the tributary states versus the core area, it doesn't surprise me that he was able to find so many native allies.

This reminded me of a :spergin: moment I had recently; my girlfriend bought some Trader Joe's "sipping chocolate"; basically a very dark, low-sugar hot chocolate. The tin says "Inspired by European Tradition". It should say "Inspired by Aztec tradition"!

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

univbee posted:

quebec.jpg

Speaking of,

What? I love the little Canadian exclave in South Qebec and the ridiculously flat-bordered Quebec exclave in Canada.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

univbee posted:

The tiny fleck is Montreal, yes.

Why does Montreal get to "stay" Canadian when the rest of the province becomes independent?

As a Vermonter who likes taking trips to Montreal, you know how annoying it would be if I had to add in another country/border crossing to do so?