Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckboat posted:

I read a thread here on SA a while ago from someone stationed on Antarctica, the reasoning for not leaving refuse besides human wastes on the continent are a combination of not despoiling the place and treaties. No one can claim the continent or leave anything, including trash, besides research stations there, if I recall correctly.

Or the buried aliens...well Norwegian shenanigans aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

Almost as counter productive as having a huge white dildo strapped to your back.

They've thought about that.

In all seriousness they're probably just some sort of applique for parades.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Those look like something made of Legos.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LP97S posted:

They've thought about that.

Want to bet every tire on every one of those vehicles is brand-new? PRC make-work in the finest tradition Only the best for our exhibitions! What is that, ten lug nuts per WZ-whateverthefuck? Motor-pool must suck to work in!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I really expected this line of discussion would have gotten North Korean Juche Party posted a long time ago.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

I really expected this line of discussion would have gotten North Korean Juche Party posted a long time ago.

It is a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoSFQb5HVk

and hey! They have whitewalls too. :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mortabis posted:

I know this is a joke but Jesus, it's Antarctica. You have millions and millions of square miles of loving nothing. Just put all your trash in a big heap out back. I hope they don't actually bother to fly that stuff out.

As has been discussed, they fly almost everything out, because they're not enormous loving douche inspectors. Except for one thing...

quote:

Human waste is the only refuse that is not flown out from the South Pole. In fact, sewage is pumped down the hole from the last Rodwell that was in use. It is frozen and essentially buried in the ice. Be forewarned: Sometime in the next few million years, a very dirty iceberg will calve off the Antarctic ice edge and sail out to sea.

Apologies for starting the Antarctica derail. Post more figuratively cold stuff instead of literally cold!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mortabis posted:

I know this is a joke but Jesus, it's Antarctica. You have millions and millions of square miles of loving nothing. Just put all your trash in a big heap out back. I hope they don't actually bother to fly that stuff out.
It's easier when they can just bury it in the snow and forget about it. Kinda like old nukes!

This is apparently the most polluted and most garbagy spot on the continent of Antarctica.

Compared to, say, Oak Ridge, it's kinda funny.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 18, 2013

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

grover posted:

It's easier when they can just bury it in the snow and forget about it. Kinda like old nukes!

This is apparently the most polluted and most garbagy spot on the continent of Antarctica.

Compared to, say, Oak Ridge, it's kinda funny.

Reminds me of....something

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

SyHopeful posted:

Reminds me of....something

This GIF never fails to amuse.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

I won't disagree that the implementation looks retarded, but I think that's a symptom of too many competing interests in our Afghanistan logistics chain. The underlying infrastructure is quite impressive: if you called up TACC and said, "There's a convoy of semi trucks on the way to Travis AFB. Your top priority is to get those supplies to a dirt strip in the middle of the Gobi Desert" it would probably be done in 36 hours. I know someone who participated in a similar max-effort airlift after the Indian Ocean Tsunami.

Nah, I'm just being snarky, all things considered the logistics chain and capability is really quite impressive.

Also

Godholio posted:

I'm ok with dumping everything in Nevada.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LP97S posted:

I seem to recall some writer discovering white paint on some of those, which can't be good for the rubber.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Madurai posted:

I seem to recall some writer discovering white paint on some of those, which can't be good for the rubber.

I've seen some PRC military vehicles in person, and they actually paint the entire tire (black and then the walls white). 99.9% of those vehicles do 99.9% of their driving during parades and spend the rest of their lives in military yards and storage sheds. A cousin of my wife was in the PLA for a while and said most of them have never had an oil change after being delivered from the factory.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wow. PLA readiness must be really terrible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
PLA has its hands full with giant wasps

http://youtu.be/8_Bo2ro60ro

:supaburn:

Sorry I tried to embed the vid but phone app is being a dick

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 18, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mortabis posted:

It's a sluggish, conservative, set organization, further suffering from political bickering and economical restrictions. The difference in combat readiness and operational capability of an average NATO infantry battalion compared to a PLA one is on order of magnitudes.

When it does get moving, though, poo poo's on.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I could care less about giant nests. Why the hell would you need a person to be in that position at 1:05????

Embed because I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Bo2ro60ro

Edit: Hold on Tim, let me make sure my head is out of the way of your FLAMETHROWER

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

madeintaipei posted:

Want to bet every tire on every one of those vehicles is brand-new?

Ten-thousand gallons of Black Magic.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sjurygg posted:

When it does get moving, though, poo poo's on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLdY-RLrERE

They'll murder all of us with chromed out Bren guns set to an 80s action movie soundtrack.

Come to think of it I haven't seen a "North Korean Training Film" that didn't look like a bunch of random scenes from 80s action movies.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

priznat posted:

I could not understand a word that woman was saying.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thwomp posted:

I could care less about giant nests. Why the hell would you need a person to be in that position at 1:05????
Just a guess, but: whatever they're using is under enough pressure to shoot fuel past the top of a tree. I imagine it probably has a bit of a kick when you pull the trigger, and having a flame thrower go off next to your shoulder is better than having the guy next to you fall on his rear end while holding down the trigger of a flame thrower.

Insane Totoro posted:

I couldn't either, but then again I don't speak Chinese.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Insane Totoro posted:

Maybe that's why they subbed everyone in chinese characters? Some bizarro hillbilly dialect from wherever it is that they have wasps nests the size of family sedans?

I know in Germany when they interview someone who's speaking some really non-standard dialect they'll usually run subtitles in standard High German .

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just a guess, but: whatever they're using is under enough pressure to shoot fuel past the top of a tree. I imagine it probably has a bit of a kick when you pull the trigger, and having a flame thrower go off next to your shoulder is better than having the guy next to you fall on his rear end while holding down the trigger of a flame thrower.

My grandad was a combat engineer in the Marines back in the 50's (well technically he was in a pioneer battalion but they're the same thing), and apparently flamethrowers do have a lot of recoil.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You would think they'd have some sort of, I dunno, tripod or stand though, instead of just using Huang The New Guy

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/cold-war-exploits-of-australias-secret-submarines/story-e6frg6z6-1226742599268

quote:

Pitt began a video that grabbed Hawke's attention and immediately transformed his mood. The PM appeared transfixed as he watched dramatic and brilliantly clear footage taken by HMAS Orion as it slipped in behind and beneath a surfaced Soviet Charlie-class nuclear submarine heading into the Vietnamese port.

The video began with distant pictures of the Soviet submarine motoring towards the harbour, well outside the 12-nautical mile (22.2km) Vietnamese territorial limit. The video was shot through a camera in Orion's periscope as the submarine loitered, barely submerged in the choppy sea.

Then Pitt took the Orion deep, ran in close behind the Soviet boat, and came up to periscope depth again. Now the video showed the Soviet submarine's wake boiling and bubbling on the surface. Hawke watched, startled, as a clear image of the turning propeller appeared on the screen just above and ahead of Orion.

Pitt ran beneath the Soviet submarine, filming sonar and other fittings mounted along its hull. The remarkably clear pictures exposed the underwater secrets of Charlie-class technology. The only other way to get them would be for a western spy to penetrate dry-docks in the Soviet Union.

Pitt positioned Orion ahead of and beneath the Soviet submarine, slowed almost to a stop, and then allowed the Soviet boat to pass him while he filmed the other side of its hull.

:awesome:

quote:

They did not tell Hawke that Pitt had also video-taped a submerged conventional Soviet submarine going into Cam Ranh Bay. It was brilliant submarine seamanship, but some of his colleagues regarded it as dangerous and unnecessary and Pitt as "a bit of a pirate". He later became director of submarine warfare.

:awesome:

Shame the Collins class is apparently crap

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Beardless posted:

My grandad was a combat engineer in the Marines back in the 50's (well technically he was in a pioneer battalion but they're the same thing), and apparently flamethrowers do have a lot of recoil.

Wait, what. Americans have pioneer's? I though that was a German thing. Ex: My father was a Panzerpioneer, his father was a Pioneer, his father was a Pioneer (we are really good at digging into poo poo).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

madeintaipei posted:

Wait, what. Americans have pioneer's? I though that was a German thing. Ex: My father was a Panzerpioneer, his father was a Pioneer, his father was a Pioneer (we are really good at digging into poo poo).

The French Foreign Legion has pioneers too:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

The French Foreign Legion has pioneers too:

Axes, beards and uniforms? Sign me the gently caress up.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

madeintaipei posted:

Pioneer and combat engineer are basically the same thing, right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Pioneer and combat engineer are basically the same thing, right?

Basically. There are some differences, but at this stage they're more or less identical. Back ca. the 50s and earlier pioneers also had a bit more of an assault troop edge to them as well. Part of the general mission of constructing defenses and playing with explosives also involved stuff like tearing down defenses WITH explosives, axes, etc as part of assaults on fortified positions.

Those axes the french foreign legion guys are carrying are no loving joke. Back ca. the Napoleonic era those kinds of troops were frequently also the first ones in through the breaches they created and there are some :black101: as gently caress accounts of them using their breaching axes to really disturbing effect.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I was a combat engineer and I recall the difference between us and pioneers being described as "When we want to blow something up we take some time to calculate the correct charge to get the job done presicely. Pioneers slap on as much as they think they need, if it didn't work they double the charge untill effect."

Rationale being, when engineers build a road it's meant to last a while. When engineers blow a bridge it's meant to be cheaper to build a new bridge than to restore the one you blew (finicky calculations to competely destroy the deck, any pylons and the bridgeheads in one go).
When pioneers build a road it's to get their parent unit through a specific obstacle right the gently caress now and nobody cares if the road is still passable tomorrow, when they blow a bridge it's to deny it to the enemy who's right around the next bend and buy a few hours to retreat or get reinforcements.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Back ca. the Napoleonic era those kinds of troops were frequently also the first ones in through the breaches they created and there are some :black101: as gently caress accounts of them using their breaching axes to really disturbing effect.

Yeah, I remember reading some account of some fortified position or other at Waterloo where the French Pioneers slugged it out with the Coldstream Guards.

Edit: Yep, a French Pioneer, Sous-Lieutenant Legros, and his axe.

Didn't end well for the French Pioneers.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 20, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, I remember reading some account of some fortified position or other at Waterloo where the French Pioneers slugged it out with the Coldstream Guards.

Edit: Yep, a French Pioneer, Sous-Lieutenant Legros, and his axe.

Didn't end well for the French Pioneers.

Hougoumont Farm

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mortabis posted:

You have to actually pay (official fees and bribes) to be in the PLA because it's more a of daycare for rich people to put their retarded kids who can't even pretend to work at Daddy's company and not mess things up. It's changed from an organization designed to protect China from foreign invaders to a force to bully its own citizens. A lot of their training is focused on urban pacification techniques to break up riots and protests. They actually can mobilize very quickly, but totally unarmed and only in trucks. The brass almost never lets them play with their rifles, and most of the time they do give them guns to play with they are either unloaded or only have a few rounds in them.

When I was living in Shenyang they deployed a few thousands troops to the embassy district within 3 hours to prevent a protest over the government breaking up an energy drink company because they wouldn't pay bribes. The protest never happened because there were already thousands of troops shoulder to shoulder encircling 4 embassies.

Now give those troops rifles with rounds in them and put them up against some drunks with rocks and you'd probably have more soldiers killed from friendly fire than protesters. If I had to guess, I'd say that 90% of the chinese soldiers I have seen with weapons (during runs in the city) acted like they have never held them before (finger on trigger, sweeping everyone, banging them into everything, putting the muzzles against the ground, etc.).

China's armed forces look impressive on paper because there are so many of them. Having 50,000 T-60's is all fine and dandy, but pretty useless if nobody knows how to use them in a manner more in-depth than, "drive to here, and simulate shooting at a stationary target". China got poo poo-scared during the Gulf War MKI because they saw their "zerg" tactics were totally ineffective against an enemy that can cripple an entire nation within hours. They're really trying to catch up tech wise, but I would not imagine that their tactics or training will every match a western power with a proper standing military. They do almost no live-fire training because commanders want to save money to show their bosses how awesome they are. If your troops expended the amount of ammo in a year that the same number of US troops expended in a week, you'd probably find yourself canned or demoted pretty fast.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
RE: the US's Pioneers, they're not around anymore, and i don't know if it was just a designation that the Marines used. At some point while he was still in, probably during the early 60's, they started calling them Combat Engineers.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

So cute.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Beardless posted:

RE: the US's Pioneers, they're not around anymore, and i don't know if it was just a designation that the Marines used. At some point while he was still in, probably during the early 60's, they started calling them Combat Engineers.

And now we have Sappers, which are different from Combat Engineers and Pioneers because...

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

And now we have Sappers, which are different from Combat Engineers and Pioneers because...

I thought that a Sapper was just a designation for someone who's been through a specific training school? I know that there's a sapper tab, like a ranger or airborne tab, but I don't think that we have units of sappers.

Fake edit: Apprently we do.

US Army posted:

5th Engineer Battalion APR 11
50th Engineer Company (Multi-Role Bridge)
55th Engineer Company (Mobility Augmentation)
509th Engineer Company (Clearance)
515th Engineer Company (Sapper)

I'm guessing that sappers perform more of a assault role? And I don't think that we have any units designated as "Pioneers" these days, looking around on wikipedia it looks like several Marine combat engineer units were called pioneer battalions during WW2, and from 1957-1963.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Was it that Pioneers sound too European, or that they've got a bit of overlap in duties and merged them into something else?