Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

HondaCivet posted:

:catstare: How is this possible??

Easily. If you don't stay active within the developer community and rarely Google, it's entirely possible to not know about the existence of SO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Before you'd answered I figured it was the people who populate MSDN with questions and answers. It's like a mini-SO.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Before you'd answered I figured it was the people who populate MSDN with questions and answers. It's like a mini-SO.

Those people are usually angling to become an MVP, in my experience.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
I have an on-site interview with Oracle, and they've given me a deadline for when I'd need to accept an offer if they make one. Is it kosher to report this to other companies as an offer deadline?

e: soon-to-be new college graduate, if that's relevant

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Don Mega posted:

The best results I had while job searching was through stackoverflow careers. Craigslist seems to be filled with postings created by someone in HR who has no clue what the position actually entails.

I've noticed this too, but it seems their standards are higher, too. I see fewer entry level postings, and higher "minimum requirements"(yes, I know they aren't true minimums). To be honest, I'd take a job with that pay. I'd keep applying to other jobs the whole time I worked there, but I'd be getting experience, and probably healthcare. Besides, the location would be an improvement itself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm angling for trying to get an entry-level job within the next 4-5 months or so. I already graduated with a degree in Engineering (not related to CS), so I need to focus on gathering real-world experience to show that I'm competent. There's the whole make a Github/Heroku thing, but how would I leverage what I make into "this is cool, hire me"? Right now I can only make small projects like a basic Django webpage or a stock data scraper. I haven't even practiced with GUIs much.

I have a resume already, and work experience in a different field (biotechnology), will the fact that I don't have a pure CS degree hurt me, or help me? Will my projects help me in case it's a drawback?

I've also heard about freelancing (e.g. e-lance), but not about how well that pans out. What's it like for a freelance programmer, generally?

To be honest, I'm at the point where I stop talking and start doing. I just wanna make sure I'm pointed in the right direction.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Amarkov posted:

I have an on-site interview with Oracle, and they've given me a deadline for when I'd need to accept an offer if they make one. Is it kosher to report this to other companies as an offer deadline?

That sounds pretty crappy of them to do that, but then again from Oracle I would probably expect nothing less.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ithaqua posted:

Easily. If you don't stay active within the developer community and rarely Google, it's entirely possible to not know about the existence of SO.

How can you have a job where you never Google anything? Do some people just write the same code over and over again for their whole career or something? :psyduck:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Amarkov posted:

Yes, tell them you have an exploding offer from Oracle.

Also this is a tactic to force you to go with them. Maybe it's absolute at Oracle but that seems really dumb. Then again it is Oracle. Don't work at Oracle.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

How can you have a job where you never Google anything? Do some people just write the same code over and over again for their whole career or something? :psyduck:

More likely these people have used Stack Overflow and simply haven't paid it any specific attention. On the surface, it's basically yahoo answers for programming, I can understand why a developer wouldn't remember anything about the site itself.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HondaCivet posted:

Google? I use Microsoft Social for all my programming question needs. 4 blank lines between every line of code? Questions answered by the same poster with "I figured it out" but no explanation? Reading the same bad answer to a question twice because it was marked as 'correct' and is now at the top of the page as well as its original location? Sign me up!

:suicide:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Why even use the internet? Just use the man pages for everything which are never at all ambiguous, confusing, or lacking in examples.

Or The Force. Real Programmers™ just use The Force to answer their questions.

Disclaimer: man pages, unlike Microsoft Social, are usually helpful. They're just not always that well written. And, on occasion, omit incredibly important details.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Just to play the devil's advocate, if you're working with a custom or highly specialized stack, like quite a few companies outside of the web development world, the usefulness of SO diminishes considerably. You can check how helpful SO would be to you if you're trying to figure out an APL quirk.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Amarkov posted:

Oracle is getting some hate from others in the thread on this, but it's not like it is uncommon for companies to have a response deadline; hard to fault them for telling you up front what it is going to be. That said, when I was offered a job at Oracle out of school, they said I'd have 2 weeks after they gave me the offer to respond, buuuut they were willing to wait to give me the offer until I was ready for it. I interviewed in early December and they gave me the offer in April, when I said I was ready for it. I don't know if things have changed or what (this was 2007-2008), but my experience with Oracles university recruiting was totally reasonable.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

HondaCivet posted:

Some languages are so rare that there's nothing to Google.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know, I Google algorithms a lot too. Even though I could probably write a lot of them in my sleep by now, having the pseudocode in front of me helps prevent a lot of really silly errors (omitting a case, tricky off-by-ones etc).

A lot of times I'll even design my system myself, and then Google the functions/algorithms I need at the bottom level, because a lot of times there's clever ways to do things that most people wouldn't think of naturally. Frequently there's some standard algorithm published 30 years ago that is much, much better than the solution you'd think of without real academic specialty in the problem domain.

Though of course there is a threshold. If you're doing legitimate research or industrial development on some esoteric subject while programming in Refal, yeah, you're probably not going to have much use for it.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Steve French posted:

Oracle is getting some hate from others in the thread on this, but it's not like it is uncommon for companies to have a response deadline; hard to fault them for telling you up front what it is going to be. That said, when I was offered a job at Oracle out of school, they said I'd have 2 weeks after they gave me the offer to respond, buuuut they were willing to wait to give me the offer until I was ready for it. I interviewed in early December and they gave me the offer in April, when I said I was ready for it. I don't know if things have changed or what (this was 2007-2008), but my experience with Oracles university recruiting was totally reasonable.

I have problems imagining how else those exploding offers can work. Yes, it's entirely reasonable for a prospective employer to ask you to respond after they've given you an offer, and assume you're not going to take it and start looking again for a candidate after a while.

If you reply in 3 weeks and they haven't found anyone else by then, why wouldn't they just hire you?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

Just to play the devil's advocate, if you're working with a custom or highly specialized stack, like quite a few companies outside of the web development world, the usefulness of SO diminishes considerably. You can check how helpful SO would be to you if you're trying to figure out an APL quirk.

True enough. The problems I have that require Stack Overflow posts almost always involve really niche, weird things. I almost never get useful responses. My latest question was about a problem I'm having with a Microsoft API that's totally undocumented. Not surprisingly, I received no help from SO.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Homesick bug is biting me hard. Home being Raleigh NC (woo RTP!!!) and not TOO far away. Should I shop for relocation or just sorta hoof it myself? I have relatives up there and know the area pretty drat well, but it has been 7 drat years.

Also is it still as big of a tech region as I remember? Meh.

Contract up in a bit, so no matter what direct hire is coming :yotj:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Homesick bug is biting me hard. Home being Raleigh NC (woo RTP!!!) and not TOO far away. Should I shop for relocation or just sorta hoof it myself? I have relatives up there and know the area pretty drat well, but it has been 7 drat years.

Also is it still as big of a tech region as I remember? Meh.

Contract up in a bit, so no matter what direct hire is coming :yotj:

IBM has a huge lab there (a couple of my co-workers seem to be based out of there) with people in working on all sorts of stuff. And they'd certainly pay for relocation. What you could do is shop for relocation but move yourself anyway, most places give you the option of handling your move or reimbursing you so you could just use that money after the fact.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I'd be the third generation to work at IBM in my family if I went there, hah. One caveat though is that I kind of only have an AA as far as schooling goes. IBM being as huge as it is doesn't strike me as the sort that hires people with experience over a BSc, but I'd like to be wrong.

I'm definitely shopping around. I'd be tickled to end up working at IBM and come full circle, though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Anyone here work at Dow Jones and willing to talk about it? Culture, technology, dev process, etc?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Had a couple phone interviews for an internship with the big G tonight. First one was perfect, I answered everything immediately and the guy was really excited talking to me, even asked a few questions kind of probing me like he wanted me to work in his group. Second dude was not very friendly, and I stumbled a bit on some bitwise stuff, he asked me to extend the solution I came up with, and I couldn't produce whatever trick he was looking for. He moved onto a second problem which I should have arrived at much more quickly than I did (I was kind of flustered at this point), but eventually I came to the thing on my own.

Not sure what to think. My gut says I came off worse than I think I did to this second guy, but I don't know. After the technical stuff I asked him what he worked on, and it turns out the research I do is somehow related and he was excited to talk about that. It was weird that he was surprised, though, it's like he didn't even look at my CV. Wish the technical questions were more geared towards what we had in common. He ended the phone call with "hope to see you around here soon", which was surprising and I don't know if I should read into it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I can't figure the last two posts out. Poster-who-asks-about-every-company, ask the representative of the company that is contacting you to talk about it. There is often an opportunity at the end of an interview, predicated by the cryptic phrase "Do you have any questions for me?" Red flags are red flags even with the prettiest description. You don't need an unfiltered inside baseball picture of every company. You won't always get one.

RCG freaking out about an intern phone screen, your mental model of interviewers having a greater-than-TA investment in the process is not realistic. At my last job I was interrupted getting my morning coffee and shoved in front of an in-person interview candidate before I hit my desk one morning. The fact that your interviewer had not read your resume in great detail is indicative of the fact that he was a working professional and not a whole lot more.

I had an interview last week where the candidate couldn't figure out the "trick" I was looking for. They accurately described the solution without knowing what it was called after the third hint. It wasn't a huge mark against them.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'd be the third generation to work at IBM in my family if I went there, hah. One caveat though is that I kind of only have an AA as far as schooling goes. IBM being as huge as it is doesn't strike me as the sort that hires people with experience over a BSc, but I'd like to be wrong.
"IBM is so loving stupid that they can't recognize a talented individual without magic letters next to their name." Really?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

RCG freaking out about an intern phone screen, your mental model of interviewers having a greater-than-TA investment in the process is not realistic. At my last job I was interrupted getting my morning coffee and shoved in front of an in-person interview candidate before I hit my desk one morning. The fact that your interviewer had not read your resume in great detail is indicative of the fact that he was a working professional and not a whole lot more.

I had an interview last week where the candidate couldn't figure out the "trick" I was looking for. They accurately described the solution without knowing what it was called after the third hint. It wasn't a huge mark against them.

Just looking for some reassurance, it was my first interview in six years or so. I would hope it's like you described, but he spent several minutes trying to get me to bang out the trick (without providing any hints), which I figured means it was important to him.

Anyways, you're right, I'm sure every engineer there does tons of interviews this time of year and doesn't have the time to be overly prepared. Just caught me a bit off guard.

a slime fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 19, 2013

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

edit: quote is not edit

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

You work on various APIs that are so NDAed up that the only reference on google to methods are a leaked copy of the SDK docs in Chinese? And that the first party that developed the API went as far as to make a Stack Overflow clone to get answers for? (Behind an NDAed wall of course.)

I just checked career stack overflow and found 2 pages of results at Amazon + 2 other positions vaguely but not really related to what I was searching for. Not my cup of tea. I think if I was looking now I'd subscribe to Linked in premium and do some SEO around my profile.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JawnV6 posted:

"IBM is so loving stupid that they can't recognize a talented individual without magic letters next to their name." Really?

To be fair, that is the case for every other industry besides CS or IT.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

I can't figure the last two posts out. Poster-who-asks-about-every-company, ask the representative of the company that is contacting you to talk about it. There is often an opportunity at the end of an interview, predicated by the cryptic phrase "Do you have any questions for me?" Red flags are red flags even with the prettiest description. You don't need an unfiltered inside baseball picture of every company. You won't always get one.

What is the point of this thread if not to ask questions? If I have a job offer from a company, it seems reasonable to ask for an insider's perspective? Is a recruiter, whose job it is to convince me to work at a company, ever going to give me a reason not to work there? Obviously not if they're any good at their job. You think I didn't already ask about code review and source control and blah blah blah? I'm not an idiot, I'm just trying to exhaust all possible resources. But thanks for your help.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

bonds0097 posted:

What is the point of this thread if not to ask questions? If I have a job offer from a company, it seems reasonable to ask for an insider's perspective? Is a recruiter, whose job it is to convince me to work at a company, ever going to give me a reason not to work there? Obviously not if they're any good at their job. You think I didn't already ask about code review and source control and blah blah blah? I'm not an idiot, I'm just trying to exhaust all possible resources. But thanks for your help.

You've heard of Glassdoor right? Did you check there already? Have you asked around your network? Other than that there isn't much you can do besides listen to your gut.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I've been getting a fair amount of spam on Stack Overflow careers lately, and it makes me sad. I used to be excited every time I got a message there, because it meant that someone had actually taken the time to read my profile and was reaching out to me to discuss a position that they thought I'd excel in.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So how long does it generally take to receive a response after a university interview for Microsoft? Last time I did it, it seemed like 3 business days. It's been 5 business days so far this time around. This is for a PM role this time around though, first time was SDET.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Alright, got another job posting question for you guys.
http://westky.craigslist.org/sof/4121899035.html

It's the compensation that bothers me most. "Compensation: $600 during initial training and then $1500 during internship period"
Their standards seem incredibly low as well. I've heard of places that post what seem to be job offers that are actually training courses they want to sell you. This place actually does seem to be offering compensation, though. Are they just trying to pay people for a try-out period, planning to permanently hire the best of the trainees?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zero The Hero posted:

It's the compensation that bothers me most. "Compensation: $600 during initial training and then $1500 during internship period"
Their standards seem incredibly low as well. I've heard of places that post what seem to be job offers that are actually training courses they want to sell you. This place actually does seem to be offering compensation, though. Are they just trying to pay people for a try-out period, planning to permanently hire the best of the trainees?

The company looks lovely regardless of compensation. Take a look at their website.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I wasn't planning on applying. I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

I wasn't planning on applying. I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

I would guess it's the software development equivalent of a puppy mill.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zero The Hero posted:

I've seen a variant of this in the Portland area that purports to train you in programming and then in return you work for them for $10-$15/hour. I feel like this is one piece of a a big scam. Hire a bunch of people who have only ever worked at McDonalds, train them to "program," take contracts from idiots who think they want custom software, charge them an arm and a leg, deliver the most awful, copy-pasted, generic, barely functional program you can poo poo out with your Ronald McDonald House of Code employees, pay those employees their two bits, pocket profits, ignore client forevermore.

Or they could lock the client into an overpriced SLA that they need to keep their product from eating the entirety of the client's data on a weekly basis.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

JawnV6 posted:

Well if you put it that way, the only opportunity cost is the effort of cover letter and clicking attach then clicking send.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Well if you put it that way, the only opportunity cost is the effort of cover letter and clicking attach then clicking send.

But that's time you'll never get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I've seen a variant of this in the Portland area that purports to train you in programming and then in return you work for them for $10-$15/hour. I feel like this is one piece of a a big scam. Hire a bunch of people who have only ever worked at McDonalds, train them to "program," take contracts from idiots who think they want custom software, charge them an arm and a leg, deliver the most awful, copy-pasted, generic, barely functional program you can poo poo out with your Ronald McDonald House of Code employees, pay those employees their two bits, pocket profits, ignore client forevermore.

Or they could lock the client into an overpriced SLA that they need to keep their product from eating the entirety of the client's data on a weekly basis.

I had assumed it was part of a scam, or something otherwise, um... unethical, I was just curious. What you say makes sense, but I'm still not sold on the theory. I feel like anything they could get out of random, previously-uneducated "programmers" could be gotten cheaper with just one actual programmer who knew what he was doing. I feel like the actual job has to be something like data entry that they just need raw manpower for and are trying to hype it up, or something.

On another note, check out this clip from another posting I ran across on Craigslist. At least they're up front about it.

quote:

We do work with risque material and partners so it is very important that you are comfortable around adult oriented material. This isn't for everyone, but it makes for a fun and lively environment.