Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

MotoMind posted:

Just to be clear, this all means I can get rid of my battery and starter and just use the ether and lighter I already carry around to start my bike?

Lighters are for pussies. Use the kitchen match you pick your teeth with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Washed Goldwing.
Washed car.
Finished work on a guy's Harley so he could pick it up tomorrow.
Blatted around on said Harley for a while to make sure it was good to go. (Whee!)
Washed Harley.
Waxed Harley.
Detailed all the chrome on the Harley. :gonk:

Now it is time for scotch.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Put my bike in storage for the winter months, got bored, so washed all my riding gear. Turns out my leather jacket and boots actually were white not various shades of dirt.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Had to jump it to get home from work. It is just not doing well as a cold-weather commuter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I put the tire I was having trouble mounting in a wheelie cart, took it to the tire shop, had them mount it for $10, and then took it on the subway to work.

Now I just gotta hope the bus driver won't blink when I try to get it home tonight. New rubber yay!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Managed wicked times to and from work today, 20 minutes in, 15 back. Tried a couple of different stages which saved me a lot of waiting around time.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Was nervous about my bike starting after being in several downpours last night.
Fired right up though :)
I also screwed in my turn signal that's been dangling for a week now.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MotoMind posted:

Just to be clear, this all means I can get rid of my battery and starter and just use the ether and lighter I already carry around to start my bike?

Yes, but is it really advisable to ride your bike when your mind is unable to communicate with the spinal column?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Washed my bike. Added Buell turn signals to the front to replace the lovely LED ones that were starting to fall apart.

No before pics of the crap ones.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Booked time for valve adjustment and carb sync for the 93 transalp. I've never done that poo poo before or know any mechanically inclined friends here that has done it. Given to what strange stuff I've found the POs has done or chosen to not do with other parts I'll let a shop deal with that bit right now.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

With the second set of carbs on the bike and fairly well tuned, I stripped, dipped and shined up my first set of carbs.

Probably check/adjust valves this weekend and then install these carbs, synch and tune them. Ultimately, I hope to have two sets of "plug-n-play" carbs, so I can rotate them in/out to play with jetting.

Also stripped and prepped my other spare tank to try out a different type of paint. I've heard good things about this stuff:

Pros:

Single coat application
Self-leveling
Cures to a gloss finish (or satin if you follow up with a second coat after 30 minutes)
After curing, will resist gas, debris, etc.
$4 per can
No primer needed*
No clearcoat needed

Cons:

Few colors available - basically black or white (unless you want to have an almond bike)
Takes a week to fully cure
Does not like to adhere to other paint, but other paint should adhere to it
No primer needed*

The lack of primer is double-edged. Since I reshape my tanks, I use body filler in certain areas. A guide coat of primer helps show whether edges have blended in, the filler is smooth, etc. I laid a light primer coat for this and then sanded it off, but I can see that I missed a few spots, now that the white is on. So far, looks like this:

Plan to lay a pair of red stripes down the center and put these old-school Suzuki badges on:

Also need to fab up another seat pan for the white.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Keep us updated on the appliance epoxy. My Enfield drastically needs an entire respray, and they sell the black appliance epoxy here for $3/can, which is half the price of other paints.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Keep us updated on the appliance epoxy. My Enfield drastically needs an entire respray, and they sell the black appliance epoxy here for $3/can, which is half the price of other paints.

Paints are not the big money. The 2-part epoxy clear coat for $25 per can with a 12-hour usage window once activated kills me. Especially when you learn that the first coat crazes, and you end up pitching a full can because you cannot re-prep the tank within 12 hours. :negative:

If this poo poo really stands up to fuel drips, it will please me . . . in my pants.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trust me - I've hosed around with 2-part epoxy paints and clear coats (I tried my hand at a custom bike two years ago), and I've vowed to never do it again. Durability may be up there, but the amount of prep compared to even an excellent automotive paint compressor spray or even a spray paint job is insane. I'm content with redneck roll-on thinned Rustoleum jobs for cars, and spray jobs for motorcycles for the rest of my life. I just need something that won't decide to randomly soften and gel three years down the road during a fuel fill-up (even after weathering worse before).

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Trust me - I've hosed around with 2-part epoxy paints and clear coats (I tried my hand at a custom bike two years ago), and I've vowed to never do it again. Durability may be up there, but the amount of prep compared to even an excellent automotive paint compressor spray or even a spray paint job is insane. I'm content with redneck roll-on thinned Rustoleum jobs for cars, and spray jobs for motorcycles for the rest of my life. I just need something that won't decide to randomly soften and gel three years down the road during a fuel fill-up (even after weathering worse before).

On a bike tank you have to do something to guard again gas, since the drips on top are inevitable. Plain Jane clear coat and spray paint melt if gas even looks at them. So the 2K clear is a must, but it's frustrating to work with.

Fingers crossed on this appliance poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had really good luck with Rustoleum's "2x coverage" OD green paint on the tank over the top of their frosted glass paint to give a matte finish (because even 'OD green' was glossy - I don't think they understand what "drab" means). I baked the tank in the oven for about half a day between coats, and didn't expose it to gasoline for well over a month after the final coat and bake. It lasted without absolutely any damage for almost a full three years, even with gasoline spills and gasoline collecting and varnishing in the little dip around the filler cap. Even the areas where my legs rubbed didn't gloss or smooth at all over about 2k miles of riding. Then, a few weeks ago, I spilled some gasoline and wiped it up with a towel, and the towel was covered in green paint, and I've got a few spots of what look like pinhole rust coming through, even though the tank itself is rust-free inside and was coated with Caswell phenol-novolac epoxy at the same time I painted it. It just poo poo the bed all at once. I really thought I had discovered a good off-the-shelf combination.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

I had really good luck with Rustoleum's "2x coverage" OD green paint on the tank over the top of their frosted glass paint to give a matte finish (because even 'OD green' was glossy - I don't think they understand what "drab" means). I baked the tank in the oven for about half a day between coats, and didn't expose it to gasoline for well over a month after the final coat and bake. It lasted without absolutely any damage for almost a full three years, even with gasoline spills and gasoline collecting and varnishing in the little dip around the filler cap. Even the areas where my legs rubbed didn't gloss or smooth at all over about 2k miles of riding. Then, a few weeks ago, I spilled some gasoline and wiped it up with a towel, and the towel was covered in green paint, and I've got a few spots of what look like pinhole rust coming through, even though the tank itself is rust-free inside and was coated with Caswell phenol-novolac epoxy at the same time I painted it. It just poo poo the bed all at once. I really thought I had discovered a good off-the-shelf combination.

I've had good luck with 2K clear protection against gasoline, unless the seal around the filer neck fails. I just hate the expense and tight use window of that stuff.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Made some progress on my new seat. Fabbing it completely from metal this time without using the stock pan as platform. So I assembled the basic skeleton and matched it to the frame and hinges. Then I started making the aluminum web frame for the seat/hump. Pics so far:

Now I gotta skin it up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rode it around the yard and neighborhood...first time back on the bike since getting sick late July. drat it felt good.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Found the source of an oil leak that's been driving me nuts. I thought I'd fixed the only leak, from the cam-end plugs, but noooo...(big surprise on a 30-year-old bike, right?)

There was a leak at the oil pressure switch.

Caught the bastard in the act (right near the end of the vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-VDUfMGL8E

Ordered up o-rings, the switch itself works fine, so it should be a simple matter to repair. I'll take on anything on this bike as long as I don't have to pull the carbs, because putting them back in the rubber boots is like trying to sodomize a wild boar.

The_Raven fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 15, 2013

tjones
May 13, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rode it around the yard and neighborhood...first time back on the bike since getting sick late July. drat it felt good.

That thing is so awesome and looks like great fun. I have been secretly lusting for a trial bike after I stumbled upon a trial/4x4 rock crawl course close to where I live.

I've tucked the thought neatly behind a sumo, dedicated track bike, and an old sportster restoration. One day perhaps.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like you're going to want to apply a clear coat, or regularly wax, that appliance epoxy. I found a very methodical experiment done on it with the black:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182651.html

Turns out it has absolutely no UV protection at all, just like POR-15. Good, hard paint, but oxidizes completely in six-seven months with any sun exposure (though is possible to bring back to original shine using compound).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

tjones posted:

That thing is so awesome and looks like great fun. I have been secretly lusting for a trial bike after I stumbled upon a trial/4x4 rock crawl course close to where I live.

I've tucked the thought neatly behind a sumo, dedicated track bike, and an old sportster restoration. One day perhaps.

I'd lusted after one for years but made myself put it towards the end of the list with things like house, daily driver car&bike, etc coming first. I love it though and sold my dirt bike after picking it up because I never rode the dirt bike. I use it mostly for screwing around in the yard but it's also my trail bike (slow single track and tight/rocky trails). I stick two 500ml gatorade bottles filled with premix in my backpack (bike has a TINY tank) and go ride.

The 300 pro is honestly way more than I was looking for but it popped up semi-local at a good price so I jumped on it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Might be a dumb question but...why doesn't it have a seat?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's for trials, you don't really sit on em much

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRACWAQoTsE

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Anyone new to trials should do some youtubing and also look up Christian Pfeiffer. Incredible control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyxuXfBE9VA

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Trials, more than any other sport, is just one long sustained "gently caress You" to the laws of physics.

Also they used to have kids trials on BBC on Saturday mornings with the single best theme tune in the history of television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlmEznsr2w

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Anyone new to trials should do some youtubing and also look up Christian Pfeiffer. Incredible control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyxuXfBE9VA

I honestly didn't know that this was a thing outside of videogames, this is so cool. I suddenly want to trade my bike for a supermoto.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

More progress on the new seat:

Some trimming and smoothing today, and then paint.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Got the bike back from the shop, sounds much better(as in not eating itself up) with valves at the right clearance and freshly synced carbs. It might be placebo, but I feel it's giving less vibrations at higher rpm too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Supradog posted:

It might be placebo, but I feel it's giving less vibrations at higher rpm too.

It's the carb sync.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
New shock absorber, new brake pads, new indicators, new tyres, new indicators, new rear end..

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Still sanding my new seatpan and tightening up the skim-coats of body filler (to cover rivets and other sheet metal sins).

Also swapped out my throttle tube and RH controls. The old tube was getting worn at the cable points, and the RH control had some stripped threads. THe new tube and assembly works pretty sweet AFAICT, since I've not ridden in the past few days.

I let that coat of appliance paint cure for a week, and have taped off the striping. It's been a bit too cold to shoot paint today, but it should be better late afternoon. If not, I'll move the paint cans and tank inside to warm up, and then shoot the paint outside quickly, returning them inside to dry.

With the weather deteriorating (at least for painting), I may just use regular paint for the seat. It doesn't face gas drips, so I don't mind using regular clear coat on seat pans. So long as the white matches well enough to the epoxy paint, I'd rather have the seat finished in a few days (1 day for stripe work to dry, 1 day for the white to dry, 1-2 days for clear coat to set up), than hang things up for another week after it's ready for color.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I got it back today! :neckbeard:

It rides like Dale Walker himself fed the motorcycle some of his best cocaine. It's stupid.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

I got it back today! :neckbeard:

It rides like Dale Walker himself fed the motorcycle some of his best cocaine. It's stupid.

Does it wheelie now?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Forever and ever.

The guy basically said, "well, it ran pretty good before, but now, well... it's just silly."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Awesome.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Difficulty: '82 KZ1000

I tried to remove the oil pressure switch to replace the old, leaky o-rings, couldn't get the allen bolts holding it to the crankcase to budge, tried some penetrating oil, still no joy, thought I'd try a warm-up ride to loosen the suckas - nuh-huh, so I turned my attention to other things... I changed the oil and filter for some nice Rotella T 15W40, did a compression test to make sure my valve adjustment a couple weeks ago didn't break anything, then tried the bolts again, grrrr.

Then I went and got some fresh gas and fuel line for the fuel bottle, hooked that and the carb vacuum gauges up and checked the carb synch - realized I've got some work to do there, then finally tried one more shot on those goddamn bolts, with a sparkplug socket and a couple of socket extenders on the allen key for extra torque... Bazinga!

So the old o-rings were like hard plastic, the new ones are all nice and pliable, put 'em in and fired it up, no more leak!

So tomorrow I fix the carbs and all is right with the world, just in time for the first snowfall probably... :negative:

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
New speedo cable on my new to me '80 CX-500. It'll be nice not to have to use my phone as a gps zip tied to my tank for once. Picking up some seafoam to run through the next tank later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dead Pressed posted:

New speedo cable on my new to me '80 CX-500. It'll be nice not to have to use my phone as a gps zip tied to my tank for once. Picking up some seafoam to run through the next tank later today.

I zip tied a GPS to my first (speedoless) bike once. After that, I just got used to going about the same speed as traffic. It helped that it was a 250cc single from the 70s, and therefore couldn't go much faster than about 70mph downhill on a good day with a tail wind.