Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Office Thug posted:

Turtle armor is pretty much the best way to go for afk farming if you can tank whatever it is you're farming. I got at least 2 of each key just from overnight turtle-farming. Find a spot that combines more than one biome, like a hallow/corrupt ice biome.
Hallow and Corrupt cancel each other out. You can't get both keys from the same area.
You can however get Hallow/Crimson keys (and souls) at the same point. So you could make an artificial snow+jungle+crimson+hallow/corruption farm and get all four keys, plus souls. Only the leftover biome would need to be found separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Well...my water problem just got worst, I seem to have flooded most of my world trying to fill the ocean again...Is there any easy way to fix this other than making a brand new world?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Load up TEdit and there might be a brush/eraser that targets only water.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

legoman727 posted:

Does anyone have a picture of good Truffle housing? I'm about to smash Plantera then go on another base upgrading spree, so I figured I may as well make a home for him at home finally.

My buddy made this on our multiplayer server for the truffle.

Also you may not want to put a house for the truffle in your main base because the mushroom biom makes it perma-dark.

Kly fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 18, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kly posted:

My buddy made this on our multiplayer server for the truffle.

Wait...

You can hold watches and bottled clouds in your hand?!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wait...

That's probably the bottled wisp.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think anything can go in the hotbar. The watch doesn't do anything when I have it selected, I have to equip it first. I just found out the other day you can quick equip items by right clicking on them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kly posted:

The watch doesn't do anything when I have it selected
Aw. :eng99:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I love my new hydra :3:

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Just wondering what ended up being better this patch Magic or ranged weapons? I only ask because when I last played the Minishark was the end all of weapons I felt and nothing really came close. Is that the case still? I feel like mana might be a tad bit better with a the armor that heals team mates and now that I play with a mouse and keyboard I can guide wands a bit easier.

Also where do I find the slush/silt machine? Is it in the dungeon some where?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

Just wondering what ended up being better this patch Magic or ranged weapons? I only ask because when I last played the Minishark was the end all of weapons I felt and nothing really came close. Is that the case still? I feel like mana might be a tad bit better with a the armor that heals team mates and now that I play with a mouse and keyboard I can guide wands a bit easier.

Also where do I find the slush/silt machine? Is it in the dungeon some where?

Megashark is still best for most bosses in my opinion, for other mobs probably magic since you can usually hit more than one at once.

The extractinator is rarely found in gold/ice chests.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Moochewmoo posted:

Either will shred anything to pieces so just use whatever you like.

I like Stynger which drops from the golem boss, combined with wings and Megashark it makes me feel like an attack helicopter.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress.

The Hallow decided the best place for it was under the ice/Crimson mixed biome. There's no surface Hallow at all. The water in the icy area being pink was the only indication that it was there at all. Dug a couple more surface-to-hell trenches now that Hard Mode's on. Keep the middle of the map safe, at least. I hope. I'm pretty sure I dug out far enough, anyway.

Thanks to so many long tunnels, finding ore was simple enough. Not much Titanium to speak of, though. Up to Cobalt armor and Orichalcum Pick, at least. Doing better than my last world, though I did have the loving Destroyer auto-spawn like one day in. :mad: Really wanna smack Red for having them do that. That's no fun at all. At least I got away from my base this time...

Is there a way to make a farm for crystals? The underground Hallow is full of tunnels, but somewhere closer to home would be nice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Hummingbirds posted:

I love my new hydra :3:

How are you not getting massacred by Diabolists?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there a way to make a farm for crystals? The underground Hallow is full of tunnels, but somewhere closer to home would be nice.

Dig out a ton of pearlstone. Excavate an area somewhere accessible at the cavern layer or below and lay down all that pearlstone in accessible rows. If you like you can mix in ordinary stone, it'll get converted into pearlstone over time.

Or do what I do and make your hellbridge out of stone and have it get converted to pearlstone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, really getting back into it for the first time. What's easier, digging out a thick trench to keep your base safe, or just building an island in the sky?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

How are you not getting massacred by Diabolists?

Thinking about it, I realized I didn't see one for the whole hour I was down there. No clue.

e: The only things that were actually getting into my little cubby were the necromancers.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 18, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So, really getting back into it for the first time. What's easier, digging out a thick trench to keep your base safe, or just building an island in the sky?

Neither is really neccesary. Do whatever you find aesthetically appealing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hummingbirds posted:

Thinking about it, I realized I didn't see one for the whole hour I was down there. No clue.

e: The only things that were actually getting into my little cubby were the necromancers.

As far as I know, the dungeon is split into three areas distinguished by the backgrounds and banners, with different hardmode spawns. You must have just been in a place where diabolists weren't spawning.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

In 1.2 there are teleporters so you can connect your base to some further away ugly/simple/optimal defense tower or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fewd posted:

In 1.2 there are teleporters so you can connect your base to some further away ugly/simple/optimal defense tower or something.
I never said I wanted ugly, simple, or optimal. I just can't decide if I want to build a sky fortress, or a giant sword piercing the crust of the earth. :black101:

Edit Because both are going to take absolutely absurd amounts of different materials. I'm probably gonna use Tin Bricks, either way. It's the right material, it looks good, and it's pretty drat common. Not sure what I'm gonna do for the handle. Tungsten Brick, maybe? That's pretty rare pre-hardmode, though, and even in a Large world, I might have trouble getting together enough for the size I want.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 18, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I never said I wanted ugly, simple, or optimal. I just can't decide if I want to build a sky fortress, or a giant sword piercing the crust of the earth. :black101:

Well obviously the answer is "both" in that case. Remember to post pics when done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fewd posted:

Well obviously the answer is "both" in that case. Remember to post pics when done.
Doing both will require either a map-hack, or basically just strip-mining several different worlds. Maybe both. Not that I'm opposed, just noting that the material cost is going to be enormous. I'll probably prototype both in dirt and stone, while I collect, so I know the layout before I spend several real-time weeks gathering all that crap.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Doing both will require either a map-hack, or basically just strip-mining several different worlds. Maybe both. Not that I'm opposed, just noting that the material cost is going to be enormous.

Oh yes. I built a tree of my own and had to chop a few worlds clean of theirs for it.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
So do you guys (and people in general) who build these gigantic masterpieces actually mine all of the resources, or hack in some chests filled with stacks of whatever?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

So do you guys (and people in general) who build these gigantic masterpieces actually mine all of the resources, or hack in some chests filled with stacks of whatever?
I plan to do it legitimately, but I'm completely loving insane (and, more to the point, currently unemployed).

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Really annoyed that my Temple didn't have a golem altar, so I go to a new world, search for ages to find it, get to the door and realise that the temple key a one shot item and now I'll have to kill plantera again..

Very annoying

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AceClown posted:

Really annoyed that my Temple didn't have a golem altar, so I go to a new world, search for ages to find it, get to the door and realise that the temple key a one shot item and now I'll have to kill plantera again..

Very annoying

Bring a pair of teleporters from your other world's Steampunker and rig them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Re: Project Big loving Sword

I decided I wanted to get an idea of the scale, so I built a sort of prototype-outline in my current world with Stone and Dirt, making it about the size I considered reasonable for getting it done. (I want it to be big, but also actually doable. I'll save my Heaven-To-Hell sword for another time. Or a smaller world, at least.) I made the blade just long enough to punch from spawn-level surface (it is, in fact, centered ON the world spawn) to the start of the Underground biome in a large world.

Regular base included at left, for scale.

The 'blade' is 27 blocks wide, which by quick napkin math and measurements makes the blade about 160 blocks long, with the hilt being about another 80 blocks or so. This gives the blade an area of almost 4500 blocks. That's quite a few.

A bit more math for how much tin ore I'm going to need says that, with a perimeter of 374 blocks, I'd need at least that much Tin Ore to get a single-layer-thick outline of the blade. But I don't want a single-layer outline, I want whatever's inside to be completely impervious to hallow/unhallow/crimson. Which means four layers. Factor in walls, partitions, and having some supplies for screw-ups, I'm going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 to 2000 Tin Ore. (Back walls are responsible for a HUGE portion of the rest, considering the 4500-block area that'd need wallpapering.) And that's just the blade.

MATH! :pseudo:

Kenny Logins posted:

It would probably be pretty easy to repurpose an existing Hellavator into a phasesaber if the hilt was surface-side.
Yeah, but that's the lazy man's way. (Also, hunting that many gems is even more of an insane prospect than hunting this much tin, given their respective rarities.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 18, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

I decided I wanted to get an idea of the scale, so I built a sort of prototype-outline in my current world with Stone and Dirt, making it about the size I considered reasonable for getting it done. (I want it to be big, but also actually doable. I'll save my Heaven-To-Hell sword for another time. Or a smaller world, at least.) I made the blade just long enough to punch from spawn-level surface (it is, in fact, centered ON the world spawn) to the start of the Underground biome in a large world.

Regular base included at left, for scale.

The 'blade' is 27 blocks wide, which by quick napkin math and measurements makes the blade about 160 blocks long, with the hilt being about another 80 blocks or so. This gives the blade an area of almost 4500 blocks. That's quite a few.

A bit more math for how much tin ore I'm going to need says that, with a perimeter of 374 blocks, I'd need at least that much Tin Ore to get a single-layer-thick outline of the blade. But I don't want a single-layer outline, I want whatever's inside to be completely impervious to hallow/unhallow/crimson. Which means four layers. Factor in walls, partitions, and having some supplies for screw-ups, I'm going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 to 2000 Tin Ore. And that's just the blade.

MATH! :pseudo:
It would probably be pretty easy to repurpose an existing Hellavator into a phasesaber if the hilt was surface-side.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Just wanted to say how much this owns and that I really hope you make more stuff :allears:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just started playing this game the other day and have a quick question. I've got a Blood Moon rising for the first time in this game so far. Right now I'm exploring the crimson/ice biome. Do I have to rush back to my home to defend NPCs against hordes, or if I hang out in a different biome will they be alright? Do enemies only spawn like crazy around you, or over the whole map?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just started playing this game the other day and have a quick question. I've got a Blood Moon rising for the first time in this game so far. Right now I'm exploring the crimson/ice biome. Do I have to rush back to my home to defend NPCs against hordes, or if I hang out in a different biome will they be alright? Do enemies only spawn like crazy around you, or over the whole map?
Even if they die, an identical one with a different name will spawn in their room not long after. :ssh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Even if they die, an identical one with a different name will spawn in their room not long after. :ssh:

Oh, well then gently caress that poo poo. I'm going up to the surface to fight some motherfuckers.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

With the exception of Party Girl.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Neither is really neccesary. Do whatever you find aesthetically appealing.

While neither is necessary, it might be a good idea to do something to protect your base from corruption/crimson prior to starting hardmode. I didn't do any preparation before killing the Wall, and returned to my base to find that the crimson had spawned right on top of it. Had to move all of the NPCs out of it and into a new, floating base that I built above the old one. (Having corruption/crimson in housing invalidates it, that is, it will not be valid housing anymore. Hallow seems to not affect it, though)

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
So I need some forward moving advice. I have a medium world that I'm playing through ATM. This is the first time I've played since the update. I beat the drat Eye of Cthulu and Queen Bee. Currently rocking the Bee's sword and some Meteorite armor(~28 armor total). I've found the cursed Old Man but have not fought the skull of whatever and also I have made it down to the bottom layer in two different cave system. Also I can handle myself in the corruption so long as I don't awaken the boss, but that being said I haven't tried to fight him on my tems. So my question is where to go from here? In my previous attempts I was unable to find any stuff for water exploration and I'd love to do that. I'm a little confused about which route I should take. I'm thinking the skull guy to free the old man because there are awesome items in there that I want. Otherwise I could go try to beat the corruption boss.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

onemanlan posted:

So I need some forward moving advice. I have a medium world that I'm playing through ATM. This is the first time I've played since the update. I beat the drat Eye of Cthulu and Queen Bee. Currently rocking the Bee's sword and some Meteorite armor(~28 armor total). I've found the cursed Old Man but have not fought the skull of whatever and also I have made it down to the bottom layer in two different cave system. Also I can handle myself in the corruption so long as I don't awaken the boss, but that being said I haven't tried to fight him on my tems. So my question is where to go from here? In my previous attempts I was unable to find any stuff for water exploration and I'd love to do that. I'm a little confused about which route I should take. I'm thinking the skull guy to free the old man because there are awesome items in there that I want. Otherwise I could go try to beat the corruption boss.

Take on the bosses you haven't fought yet. The Destroyer (corruption boss) will drop items that can be used to make demonite equipment, and Skeletron will of course give you access to the dungeon and all of its loot. If you can survive in the Underground Jungle neither boss should give you much trouble.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Take on the bosses you haven't fought yet. The Destroyer (corruption boss) will drop items that can be used to make demonite equipment, and Skeletron will of course give you access to the dungeon and all of its loot. If you can survive in the Underground Jungle neither boss should give you much trouble.

Underground jungle was tough to say the least. Only reason I made it through was because of some crafty campfire locations, the Red Rain Cloud rod thingy, and the Queen Bee got stuck in a way that allowed me to kill her. Not sure how tough I am, but I'll definitely give it a shot. Is demonite > meteorite? At any rate I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think I have the layout of the sword figured. At ground-levelish is where I'll be keeping all the NPCs. And, as is to be expected of a good base, there's no way in from ground level. Those gaps in the hilt will be the entrances. The gem at the end of the pommel will be where all my best loot is kept (gold chests should make for a nice map image), and further down will be workshops, storage rooms, etc. Not sure what to do with the upside-down pyramid room at the very bottom, just yet.

Gotta say, this thing's gonna look :krad: when it's done.

• Locked thread