Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
"No habla ingles", if they start speaking spanish "no habla espanol" they'll get the picture.

Just the 1st should get rid of 75% or more depending on your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just answer the door nude, while holding your pet. Invite them in for tea.

Shame is for pedophiles and criminals.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Thanks folks, think I have all I need.. Pantsless in a "Hail Satan" shirt holding a 'No Soliciting' sign.

Edit: And yeah, we really need a peep hole, but I'm really not proficient with anything having to do with a drill, so I may wait for my dad to come into town..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

Thanks folks, think I have all I need.. Pantsless in a "Hail Satan" shirt holding a 'No Soliciting' sign.

Edit: And yeah, we really need a peep hole, but I'm really not proficient with anything having to do with a drill, so I may wait for my dad to come into town..

Installing a peephole is pretty much the easiest thing to do with a drill. Get the right sized bit (and the right type depending on what your door is made out of) and drill a hole. Then screw in the peephole. Takes about 2 minutes total.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Installing a peephole is pretty much the easiest thing to do with a drill. Get the right sized bit (and the right type depending on what your door is made out of) and drill a hole. Then screw in the peephole. Takes about 2 minutes total.

Since the first thing you need is a drill, that means I first need to acquire a drill.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

New Leaf posted:

Since the first thing you need is a drill, that means I first need to acquire a drill.

Since you appear to live on your own, I'm going to make the possibly faulty assumption that you're an adult.

Adults own basic tools.

How do you, like, hang a picture, or do small repairs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

You should really own a drill if you own a house, but assuming that's not an option, there's a good chance one of your new neighbors will loan you their drill for five minutes.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

New Leaf posted:

I guess we're back to getting a gun then, so you can shoot a hole through the door and put in a peephole. Make sure you get the right caliber for the size of peephole you want. You also might want to warn your neighbors to stay away from windows when you do it.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Since planes sometimes crash and that's dangerous, why don't they have three point seatbelts like cars, or airbags like cars?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crankit posted:

Since planes sometimes crash and that's dangerous, why don't they have three point seatbelts like cars, or airbags like cars?

The seatbelts are there to protect you in turbulence. In crashes, they're there so they can match the seat number on your ticket to the mangled corpse strapped to your seat.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The seatbelts are there to protect you in turbulence. In crashes, they're there so they can match the seat number on your ticket to the mangled corpse strapped to your seat.
Over 95% of people in plane crashes survive.
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/safetystudies/SR0101.pdf

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crankit posted:

From what I've read, it's actually safer for your spine and neck to take a big jolt like a crash if you're leaning forward in that head-between-the-knees crash position than if you're sitting upright in a three-point car-style harness. But most car crashes happen in a split second and don't give you time to assume the position, unlike most (survivable) air crashes.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Crankit posted:

"I'm telling you, just attach a big parachute to the plane itself. Is anyone listening to me?!" --Jack Handey

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Crankit posted:

I'm not an expert, but my guess is because the shock is coming from a different axis. In a car, the sudden acceleration is parallel to the ground, so you want a seatbelt to stop you from jerking forward and getting whiplash or hitting your head on the window/dash.

In a plane, the sudden acceleration is going to be almost perpendicular to the ground (since you're falling), so the seatbelt is there to keep you from bouncing up and cracking your head on the ceiling.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Generally I hang pictures with a hammer and nail. I sure as hell don't drill it in to the wall. :)

And I actually own a drill, I was trying to be funny and not start a derail. It is about 10 years old, I have exactly 2 bits, and I've never used it because the battery lasts about 5 minutes per charge. I think I acquired it from my father at some point. And I've lived on my own for years, I just don't generally find myself drilling things. My front door actually seems to be some sort of painted metal sculpted to look like a wooden door, so I doubt either of the tiny bits I have would make a dent in it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

New Leaf posted:

What is the most polite way to dissuade church folk from knocking on my door Saturday mornings trying to try to save my poor wretched soul and bring me into the flock?

Just put a sign or sticker on your door asking them not to.

KnifeWrench posted:

If you are dead set on answering the door at all, I've found the phrase "I don't want to waste your time, so I'm closing the door now" very helpful.

Edit: get comfortable with interrupting people who interrupted your day. The playing field is level in terms of rudeness.

KnifeWrench posted:

Fair enough. Yeah, just interrupt them and politely say goodbye. If they keep talking, it's on them.

This also works for telemarketers, with the slight caveat that you won't have time to tell them to put you on the "do not call" list.

You're an arsehole. That's not the same level of rudeness at all. Knocking on someone's door or ringing them up isn't rude at all, it's standard procedure for trying to contact someone. Also, those people aren't doing it on their own initiative, so the person you're being rude to isn't even the one responsible. You know how much it costs you to wait for them to finish speaking and politely decline? A few seconds. Maybe a minute if they're really persistent. And both you and they will have a more pleasant experience.

Put up a "do not knock" sign, add your number to the "do not call" list, complain to and about the organisation responsible, but don't be a dick to someone who's just doing their job.

Douche4Sale posted:

I used to be in your situation and as soon as they would start I would say "Sorry, I'm not interested" as I shut my door. After 3 weeks of this he never came back. You don't have to be rude

But that is rude.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Since you appear to live on your own, I'm going to make the possibly faulty assumption that you're an adult.

Adults own basic tools.

Well, I hang things on the hooks that were already attached to the walls when I moved in. And if something needs repairing I call the landlord. In fact, I don't think I've ever found myself in a position to require a drill.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

New Leaf posted:

Generally I hang pictures with a hammer and nail. I sure as hell don't drill it in to the wall. :)

And I actually own a drill, I was trying to be funny and not start a derail. It is about 10 years old, I have exactly 2 bits, and I've never used it because the battery lasts about 5 minutes per charge. I think I acquired it from my father at some point. And I've lived on my own for years, I just don't generally find myself drilling things. My front door actually seems to be some sort of painted metal sculpted to look like a wooden door, so I doubt either of the tiny bits I have would make a dent in it.

The average adult male drills something, poorly or otherwise, at least once every two days. Didn't you go to adult school? What have you been doing with your spare time if not finding excuses to drill?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

You're an arsehole. That's not the same level of rudeness at all. Knocking on someone's door or ringing them up isn't rude at all, it's standard procedure for trying to contact someone. Also, those people aren't doing it on their own initiative, so the person you're being rude to isn't even the one responsible. You know how much it costs you to wait for them to finish speaking and politely decline? A few seconds. Maybe a minute if they're really persistent. And both you and they will have a more pleasant experience.

Put up a "do not knock" sign, add your number to the "do not call" list, complain to and about the organisation responsible, but don't be a dick to someone who's just doing their job.

Nope, sorry. I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but in the US, "do not solicit" signs might as well not be there. I have genuine sympathy for the kids who go door-to-door selling newspapers at 8:30 PM under false pretenses at the behest of scummy employers who are exploiting people whose time is worth less than the pittance they're being paid. That's why I'm not going to let them stand there an extra 3 minutes (no exaggeration) in the cold so that I can ultimately tell them that no, I'm not interested. The speeches they go through are very practiced to take a long time so that you'll feel extra bad saying no at the end. If you actually give a drat about people, you need to be polite, but abrupt and firm. Letting them "say their piece" is just wasting their time. Because the ones who are good at their jobs can and will talk to you for as long as the door/phone line is left open.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a very passive interest in learning the guitar, like I'm pretty sure I'm only going to practice an hour or two a day, unless I can learn it through video games.

Where's a good place to talk/read about this on SA?

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Turtlicious posted:

I have a very passive interest in learning the guitar, like I'm pretty sure I'm only going to practice an hour or two a day, unless I can learn it through video games.

Where's a good place to talk/read about this on SA?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, an hour or two a day is actually a lot of practicing. I got a music degree and probably didn't practice that much. Nor did I when I was playing "professionally" (in the military, but not a premier band).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I don't have any way to see out without them seeing me. There's no peep hole on the door, and I don't want to miss out on the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol or a door to door bikini car wash or something. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, so an elderly man knocking on the door could just be a neighbor introducing themselves, and we just moved here about 5 months ago so I don't want to be labeled as the street rear end in a top hat.

If they're Jehovah's Witnesses, just ask them not to come back. They won't.

Even if they're not JWs, just ask them to stop knocking on your door. At least with the JWs, though, you have to actually say you don't want them to come back. If you just hint at it or are oblique, they'll keep on coming back.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I have a hair dryer that's several years old that I love and the results of which I haven't been able to replicate in any other dryer. However, whenever it's on, green sparks jump across the grate at the front of the dryer where it blows air from. It's perfectly functional, but am I going to set my head on fire some day soon? Why does this happen and is it an easy fix?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Not sure where else to ask this here, but I need a really good contour pillow. My head and neck are always hurting when I sleep and my pillows suck. I have tried memory foam bullshit before but they just sink and don't support my head. Give me your best pillows gentlemen and ladies!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

i am not so sure posted:

Not sure where else to ask this here, but I need a really good contour pillow. My head and neck are always hurting when I sleep and my pillows suck. I have tried memory foam bullshit before but they just sink and don't support my head. Give me your best pillows gentlemen and ladies!

Some good advice in here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368724

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That's a fascinating document but, unless I missed it, it doesn't define "incident", "accident", "serious accident", or "crash" and that would seem like a pretty important distinction somehow.

KnifeWrench posted:

I'm not an expert, but my guess is because the shock is coming from a different axis. In a car, the sudden acceleration is parallel to the ground, so you want a seatbelt to stop you from jerking forward and getting whiplash or hitting your head on the window/dash.

In a plane, the sudden acceleration is going to be almost perpendicular to the ground (since you're falling), so the seatbelt is there to keep you from bouncing up and cracking your head on the ceiling.
Are most plane crashes closer to straight-down nosedives than slides-to-a-halt? I have no idea but this is a fascinating thing to me as someone who flies (aided by airplanes) quite a bit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

randyest posted:

That's a fascinating document but, unless I missed it, it doesn't define "incident", "accident", "serious accident", or "crash" and that would seem like a pretty important distinction somehow.

"All investigations in the online aviation accident database are defined as either "Incident" and "Accident." An accident is defined as "an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage". An incident is defined as "an occurrence other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety of operations." The Safety Board investigates only selected incidents, including them in the database in the same form as accidents. Typically, incidents do not involve the level of injury or damage characteristic of an accident."

That's from the NTSB's overall database.

"Serious accident" usually refers to having more deaths and serious injuries then the norm. The difference between incident and accident is thus that an incident typically results in both minimal or no damage to the aircraft and only minor injuries to the people on board or none at all.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Install Windows posted:

"All investigations in the online aviation accident database are defined as either "Incident" and "Accident." An accident is defined as "an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage". An incident is defined as "an occurrence other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety of operations." The Safety Board investigates only selected incidents, including them in the database in the same form as accidents. Typically, incidents do not involve the level of injury or damage characteristic of an accident."

That's from the NTSB's overall database.

"Serious accident" usually refers to having more deaths and serious injuries then the norm. The difference between incident and accident is thus that an incident typically results in both minimal or no damage to the aircraft and only minor injuries to the people on board or none at all.
Thanks fishmech; that's informative (of course). I found the same info at NTSB, but I guess that doesn't really support or refute this:
"Crashes" apparently aren't an official thing, surprisingly. At least surprising to me v:shobon:v

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
I want to watch TV on my monitor. I have a cable box with no HDMI. It's connected to a VCR, which is connected to my TV with RCA wires. Can I use an RCA to DVI cable to watch TV on my monitor? I've read that an HDMI to DVI cable does the job.

This is the wire I want to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/180840774819?lpid=82

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

randyest posted:

Are most plane crashes closer to straight-down nosedives than slides-to-a-halt? I have no idea but this is a fascinating thing to me as someone who flies (aided by airplanes) quite a bit.

I believe it's something like 30 degrees? But yeah, that's my point. If it were a straight down nosedive, it would be functionally the same as hitting a wall in a car. It's different because the acceleration is in the direction perpendicular to your seat bottom, rather than perpendicular to your seat back.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I have a hair dryer that's several years old that I love and the results of which I haven't been able to replicate in any other dryer. However, whenever it's on, green sparks jump across the grate at the front of the dryer where it blows air from. It's perfectly functional, but am I going to set my head on fire some day soon? Why does this happen and is it an easy fix?

Does it only spark when you turn it on or change the speed? If so, that is fairly normal for electronics that need a lot of power like hair dryers. If it sparks during normal use, I wouldn't use it because it is likely an electrical fire hazard more than a hair fire hazard. I have exactly 0 experience with hair dryers, but a good amount of experience with home wiring.

I hope your hair dryer is plugged into a GFC outlet. That will protect you more than anything else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Or if you want to get serious about it, this post is the definitive guide.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Tiggum posted:

Just put a sign or sticker on your door asking them not to.

But that is rude.

Well, I hang things on the hooks that were already attached to the walls when I moved in. And if something needs repairing I call the landlord. In fact, I don't think I've ever found myself in a position to require a drill.

Ringing my doorbell at 8am on a Saturday/ Sunday morning is borderline rude. But you know what, I drug myself out of bed and listened to them try to convert me to their religion, and then politely said that I wasn't interested in joining their religion.

However, the same man kept coming back at the same time, with the same speech, every week. At that point he is not deserving of any more courtesy. At that point, I am going to immediately tell him I am not interested and close the door. As far as I am concerned it is rude of him to continue harassing me, and if he is offended by my "rudeness" then maybe he should reevaluate his own actions.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

eminkey2003 posted:

I want to watch TV on my monitor. I have a cable box with no HDMI. It's connected to a VCR, which is connected to my TV with RCA wires. Can I use an RCA to DVI cable to watch TV on my monitor? I've read that an HDMI to DVI cable does the job.

This is the wire I want to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/180840774819?lpid=82

Your image quality will be absolute poo poo (rca cables are the lowest res available (outside of ancient technologies like RF boxes)) but it should work.
How does your cable box connect to the vcr? Probably coax or rca I guess, but I'd be surprised if your cable box doesn't have at least component inputs which will be much better. Even S-Vid would be an improvement.

From highest qual to worst qual:

Display Port
Component = HDMI
(fairly big gap)
S-Video
(fairly big gap)
Coax
RCA

Go for the highest ranking tech on that list your cable box supports.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I have a problem with the way my supervisor is enforcing a company policy, will I get in trouble if I specifically name her when talking to our HR department? The long & short is she and her assistant show up 15-20 minutes late every day, and enforce rules that punish the regular staff for showing up literally a second late (it's computerized). I really want to talk to HR about providing a buffer for employees that have extenuating circumstances (this morning a loving Semi stalled on the on-ramp I take to work and I got marked up for being 2 minutes late), and I want to point out the fact that my bosses enforce rules they choose not to follow which leads to lower employee morale, but if bringing them up could cause me to get fired, I'll just stay away from that point.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I have a problem with the way my supervisor is enforcing a company policy, will I get in trouble if I specifically name her when talking to our HR department? The long & short is she and her assistant show up 15-20 minutes late every day, and enforce rules that punish the regular staff for showing up literally a second late (it's computerized). I really want to talk to HR about providing a buffer for employees that have extenuating circumstances (this morning a loving Semi stalled on the on-ramp I take to work and I got marked up for being 2 minutes late), and I want to point out the fact that my bosses enforce rules they choose not to follow which leads to lower employee morale, but if bringing them up could cause me to get fired, I'll just stay away from that point.

There is no point talking to HR, because if everything is computer logged, they already know that boss and assistant are coming in late daily.
If it is company policy and abiding is controlled by computer logged events, there is not much you can do.

1. Get up earlier and make it on time (alloting time for unexpected stalls)
2. If you have a feeling that you will be late, call in and say it asap.
3. Start an uprising with your fellow colleagues. Make them (The Boss, The Assistant, HR) responsible for you being late to work!

Btw, how often do you stay in late and see when the boss & assistant leaves office?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Not if the supervisor is salary. I'm salary where I work and am nearly always a couple minutes late. I also am nearly always in the plant 15 minutes after I should get off. It is a different set of rules for salary and hourly.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the input, but my question was in regards to my own protection, and whether I could get in trouble if I mentioned their names to HR, not how fair the behavior of my supervisors is. I want to voice a concern but I've never had an HR department before, so I don't know what is OK and what isn't to say. I'm not going to roll in there and say 'gently caress my boss, she's a total bitch', but I also don't want to go in and voice a logical complaint and risk my job because I named my boss in my concern.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Supposedly no, they shouldn't be able to retaliate against you. In reality yeah, they probably will, and it's certainly not a fight worth picking, if that's all it's over. I've never worked anywhere where hourly employees weren't reprimanded for not being on time, on the dot.

Edit: Also 'My boss keeps getting mad at me for being just a little late' is really really really likely to backfire on you, even if you follow it up with 'but he's late too.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I appreciate the input, but my question was in regards to my own protection, and whether I could get in trouble if I mentioned their names to HR, not how fair the behavior of my supervisors is. I want to voice a concern but I've never had an HR department before, so I don't know what is OK and what isn't to say. I'm not going to roll in there and say 'gently caress my boss, she's a total bitch', but I also don't want to go in and voice a logical complaint and risk my job because I named my boss in my concern.

Why can't you take it to your boss straight?