Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WarLocke posted:

I couldn't sleep last night so I was trying to come up with a 'serious' costume for ADAM IV (which stands for 'Adapting Autonomous Mechanism, Mark 4' because I'm a nerd).

I was going for a sort of 'what if Apple made an iBot' look, not sure how well I did:

That looks pretty great! :neckbeard:

e: Hell hath no fury like a telekinetic in a shipping yard. Seriously, Telekinesis (the throw heavy thing power) is great.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

So how badly did they nerf Ego Blade Breach (I think it was called) in the eons since I played this game last? That was always my favorite ability.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

So how badly did they nerf Ego Blade Breach (I think it was called) in the eons since I played this game last? That was always my favorite ability.

It's the best attack for just spamming in the telekinesis set - it does the most damage by default, and still gets its defense-down effect. On the flipside, Annihilation is now used for Spike Damage, and can result in extremely powerful hits if you prepare ego leech stacks (something that Breach can do quite reliably).

Of course, the alternative is ego weaponry, which is much weaker in damage, but has an advantage that self-heals you very rapidly as you attack with it, which might be part of the reason you don't see Breach that often nowadays.

Basically, Telekinetic Blades are still murder machines.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

TK ranged is pretty awesome too, it's really a superior damage set overall. One full run of Ego Blade Frenzy is good for 3-5 stacks of Ego Leech, which Ego Blade Breach will detonate (and often crit) for craploads of damage. TK Assault/TK Lance are much the same for ranged.

I'm trying really, really hard to make a character based around Aura of Arcane Clarity that is not totally terrible, currently settling around support mode with the Force set. The really valuable part of that aura seems to be the charge time reduction, if you're teamed with people using charged powers, and for yourself the big standout is of course Force Cascade; for that aura, the SELF bonus for charge time is scaled with Presence and nothing else. That is almost certainly a bug and I reported it as such.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Updated my robot power armor look:

Tried to make him a little more anthropomorphic while still retaining features that mark him as a robot (mostly the 'skeletal robotic' limbs under armor plating, and the head). Going to save the 'weirder' mecha type pieces for the nemesis, to display its rejection of humanity and alienness. Was in fact going to use that head setup for it, but the 'robot eye' piece doesn't work right on the female model for some reason.

Not quite satisfied with the belt/crotch area, but I just don't have many good options there if I want the robotic legs. I think the covered torso bits make sense but I have the benefit of knowing my internal spergings about it (all the critical systems are in there, even the head is 'just' a sensor platform that can easily be swapped out) but it may just look dumb to other people. Besides it should still be armored if only for the inevitable dickpunches.

tl;dr: I am a huge :spergin:

TheDoon
Jul 4, 2013
I'm sure this is old news to everyone who has played this game for any length of time, but the customer service at Cryptic/PW is loving lame. Their wronger @handle system lost me all my old characters and when I contacted them about it they took 4 days to give me a response which wasn't the fix I'd very clearly asked for, it was an email explaining everything I'd already worked out was wrong and asked them to fix. Their response; Do you want us to fix this?

Yes I do you arseholes. I suppose I have another 4 days wait for them to fix their loving mistake.

Gaaar.

On the plus side, I still reckon I have the best healing build possible, plus a layered eletric dps build that rocks cotton socks.

Forgive the rant, but they take the cake for lame support.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

Updated my robot power armor look:

Tried to make him a little more anthropomorphic while still retaining features that mark him as a robot (mostly the 'skeletal robotic' limbs under armor plating, and the head). Going to save the 'weirder' mecha type pieces for the nemesis, to display its rejection of humanity and alienness. Was in fact going to use that head setup for it, but the 'robot eye' piece doesn't work right on the female model for some reason.

Not quite satisfied with the belt/crotch area, but I just don't have many good options there if I want the robotic legs. I think the covered torso bits make sense but I have the benefit of knowing my internal spergings about it (all the critical systems are in there, even the head is 'just' a sensor platform that can easily be swapped out) but it may just look dumb to other people. Besides it should still be armored if only for the inevitable dickpunches.

tl;dr: I am a huge :spergin:

loving YES. When I was still playing champions, you're goddamned right I made sure the skeletal bits were all properly colored even though nobody could see them under the armored outsides :downs::hf::spergin:

My sympathies on trying to get your robotic pelvis to look right alongside robot style limbs. Looks like you settled on the one I frequently did there.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
If Aura of Arcane Clarity doesn't cut it, for charge time reduction shenanigans, I had pretty good success making a DPS Sorcery person using Night Warrior. Although, I can see the aura be great for supporting while cascading relentlessly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I tried a bunch of stuff and gave up, really AOPM is just a million times better in every respect except charge time. Retconned to Int/Dex/Ego and shooting poo poo with gadgeteering stuff for gobs of damage, my dps pretty much tripled.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Welp, four more levels until I get a new character slot, and with the servers down I figure now's a good a time as any to ask for some advice; I've got two character concepts down, a Laser Knight (Laser Sword/Heavy Weapon), and a Ghost Cowboy (Darkness/Pistol Munitions), and I need to pick one for the slot, thoughts?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently the Alert changes are going in during this maintenance. And we're getting a 'Blood Moon Lite' from now until the 24th:

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1007971

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1007981

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
They could have just gated Smashes to 20 and that would have alleviated many of the problems with pubbies queuing up to DPS with their EB :downs:

Grabs take a lot longer on average, so this is a nerf to powerleveling. No more Smash rushes with double exp :argh:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
1 of each alert at a time and resources from smashes? Hot drat. A nerf to speed leveling to be sure, but honestly that's a good thing in the scheme of things too.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I will look forward to trying these alert changes out when pokemon stops stealing all my free time. Not having to deal with people fresh out of the powerhouse any more will be nice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

After some time playing with it, the new alert structure is a Good Change.

VVV eh I always liked Pyramid Power, I don't know why it's unpopular other than the fact that it's longer than rad rumble.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 18, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The fact there's now consistent Bursts alone is a good thing.

Now they just have to make Pyramid Power something that isn't god-awful.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not sure though.

At level 10, you still only get 1 extra power other than your starting choices.

Also, not sure if others will agree with me, aren't XP runs getting failed because of poorly optimised builds? Some builds like what I got from Death Blossom got going at lvl 13 while my own Regen/Claws/Munitions guy only got somewhat good at 20 when I got Lead Tempest. (Side-note: Regen is amazing)

So even at lvl 10, we still would be failing XP runs. Only, it will take us longer to grind through the mobs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The thing about xp alerts is that they're not timed any more, so they're quite a bit more laid back. You can still drop if you have a really lovely team, and it's much less of a DPS check than it used to be so you actually get a lot bigger variety of people showing up. Yes in general XP alerts take longer to do because they now use the old money maps (bank, city hall, museum) but on the other hand there isn't the pressure of the time limit so it's okay for people to not be munitions/quarry or other highly optimal combinations.

e: and oh yes, there are certainly still some shitbirds that hop in right at level 10 and if the team isn't high enough level for them they quit immediately.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I always thought the goons on Grabs were scaled way too high. They always had way too much HP and damage.

Or maybe their scaling up for lower level heroes needs to be tweaked up.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I get the impression they're scaled for endgame characters - and more specifically, for proper tankers and healers - but lowbie characters aren't scaled properly to match it. Damage and defense and such are boosted sure, but you're probably not going to have the self heals and emergency buffs and such a higher-level character would, and the boosted scaled damage you do seems to come with more aggro even if most of your power picks aren't AOEs to level faster with anyway.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

jerichojx posted:

Or maybe their scaling up for lower level heroes needs to be tweaked up.

This. CO suffers the same problem all games with level scaling systems do. They scale the base stats but don't scale gear, so you end up effectively level 30 but with level 6 gear that's now doing precisely gently caress all compared to what you should have at level 30. Likewise if you go down, it's part of what makes 40s able to solo smash alerts half the time. The other part being the extra powers and possibly more importantly, extra advantage points to rank stuff up that higher level characters have.

Even better, this was a solved problem in CoH almost years ago. The equivalent of gear in that game was all percentage increases to base stats, so it scaled up just fine without anything further required. You still ended up weaker because of missing 30 levels of powers, but not by the huge margin you do in this game.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

gently caress yeah robits.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Holy crap I need that arm-cannon piece yesterday.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I'm putting it up to a vote.

Should Colbert's first nemesis be a bear? Or Jon Stewart?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BlueDestiny posted:

Holy crap I need that arm-cannon piece yesterday.

Do you mean on the bottom pic, on the left hand? That's the Warlord Bracer Module fyi.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Mewnie posted:

gently caress yeah robits.

I'm bad at making costumes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Man, Form and Energy Unlock options for sorcery characters are kind of lovely.

This is what I'm looking at so far with Arcana:

quote:

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
Level 1: Eldritch Shield
Level 6: Tyrannon's Familiar
Level 8: Ritual of Arcane Summoning
Level 11: Aura of Radiant Protection
Level 14: Skarn's Bane
Level 17: Ritual of Ebon Summoning
Level 20: Air Elemental
Level 23: Aura of Ebon Destruction
Level 26:
Level 29:
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38: Rebirth

I guess I'll probably take Overdrive to help power Skarn's Bane. None of the Forms seem especially useful to a pet master, I could take Compassion and a heal and be dinky like that but I'm not sure I want to. Or I could just skip taking a Form and take a ressurection power instead - might be a waste since people hit respawn instantly most of the time though.

As far as the last two powers go I'm proably going to get sigils (most likely the primal lightning ones unless someone wants to pipe in with advice) and depending on whether or not I grab a heal and/or is Skarn's works out as a general attack for me I might grab the planar fracture ultimate power.

e: Obligatory costume pic since I love it when a look comes together:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 18, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

The form you want as a pet master is probably IDF.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
WarLocke, how do you stay interested in the same content over and over :| I try to poke around on a new character and it just gets meh after a couple minutes. Maybe I'm just getting too old :(

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
What's the green farting smoke power that I see people using? It seems really strong!

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

jerichojx posted:

What's the green farting smoke power that I see people using? It seems really strong!

Gas Pellets, and it's broken as hell.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

WarLocke posted:

So apparently the Alert changes are going in during this maintenance. And we're getting a 'Blood Moon Lite' from now until the 24th:

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1007971

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1007981

So is the "Blood Moon Lite" just the bite event and the zombie apocalypse? Because those were two of the most fun things to the event back at release. The former basically turns the game world into an open PVP slaughterfest. And the latter is one of the most underused mechanics the game has.

The zombie apocalypse can actually be an apocalypse if they changed it up a bit. If you pay attention to the NPC's when they aren't fighting players you can see them infect random civilians by dragging them to the ground and vomiting on them. Sadly, the zombie NPC's don't have a generic "roam" command, so they only ever stay around the instance entrances eating cops and infecting civilians.

It's one of the many cases of the game having wasted potential. Tacking on some rewards and having random hordes of zombies roll around the city during a blood moon event while infecting everything would be a great way to creates incentives to return to their only other city area. It'd also make MC a thousand times more interesting than it currently is. Never mind give people an excuse to actually play at being a superhero in the game world.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 19, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

jerichojx posted:

Yeah it's either gas pellets which is busted as poo poo, or epidemic which is even more busted as poo poo.

Danith posted:

WarLocke, how do you stay interested in the same content over and over :| I try to poke around on a new character and it just gets meh after a couple minutes. Maybe I'm just getting too old :(

Well you only have to get to level 10 (now) before you can get into alerts, or adventure packs are a good alternative. Team with goons, we are universally terrible and fun/irritating to play with.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Archonex posted:

So is the "Blood Moon Lite" just the bite event and the zombie apocalypse?

I'm not sure what the 'lite' is referring to, as it seems to be the 13 undead heroes/crypts/zombie hordes, Takofanes spawns, the werewolf/hunter stuff in Canada/Desert is on, and the 'trick or treat' stuff is going on. That seems, AFAIK, to be 'all' of Blood Moon.

Also, gently caress PETS IN THE rear end GODDAMN YOU loving HACKS CRYPTIC, AT LEAST MAKE SURE THEY loving WORK INSTEAD OF WATCHING BLANKLY AS MOBS KILL ME FROM BEHIND BLOCK WHILE I MASH THE PET ATTACK KEY FUUUUUUCK

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

jerichojx posted:

Neither. His nemesis should be Nathan Poe.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

jerichojx posted:

Beary Manilow.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jerichojx posted:

Not my character, but I think it's perfect for Colbert's nemesis:

e: And you can give him Manimal minions so you can shoot up furries all the time.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 19, 2013

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Circle of Arcane power is probably the best energy form for maintaining Skarn's Bane, its really energy expensive and on my sorcerer dps, I had to slot for efficiency in order for it to barely keep up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I'm trawling through the official forum randomly and I come across a thread claiming that since the On Alert change increasing mission difficulty no longer makes better loot drop? If this is the case what is the point of setting it any higher than Normal other than pure masochism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WarLocke posted:

So I'm trawling through the official forum randomly and I come across a thread claiming that since the On Alert change increasing mission difficulty no longer makes better loot drop? If this is the case what is the point of setting it any higher than Normal other than pure masochism?

I believe it still makes better (more purples) loot drop, I think that change refers to specific gear dropping only on elite (Champions Online used to have a more flavor-filled equip system with very specific gear, instead of <descriptor><item>), which I believe was changed in the alert update (correct me if I'm wrong).

You'd play on Elite for better quality gear, more exp (?), and a challenge.