Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
For a single desktop tech, 350 pcs (~275 laptops ~75 desktops, 50% are out of wtty) 600 monitors, 400 voip phones, 100 mobiles. Is that about right? low? high? way high?

And what's the best way to ask my remote boss (who doesn't see 1% of what I do) for a temp for a month or more?

I've been on my own at a satellite office for some years now. Before a bunch of M&As happened I worked at the corp office (now dissolved by M&A) and there was a rule of 120pcs per tech, no phones, that was cake (but we did printers too) so this definitely seems high compared to that. We have a work-from-home (250 miles) network guy who's in our office every once in a while and he always comments that he's amazed that they have only me. Said he even asked my boss one time while he was at boss's site about me and boss assured him my workload is within industry guidelines.

Anyway to the point, Behind on my tickets that came in and I now have 50 new power-laptops for 50 power-users that need installed. These guys will have all kinds of crazy apps, needs and volume of data. I'd be lucky if I could get one swap done in a day assuming I can actually have a morning where no one's having problems stopping me from starting on one. Best case: 2 or 3 a week.

We used to be 250 people and there was going to be a big hiring of 100 people over 3 months, remote bossman sent me 100 laptops and a temp well in advance that time but he's not mentioned/asked anything at all this time about a temp. In my mind 50 power user laptop swaps is lots more work than 100 new hires especially when those 100 hires were known to be spread out over 3 months.

What do I ask? for a temp straight out? or "so uhh, it's ok if I take 4 months/80 workdays or more to get this done myself yeah?"

Edit: I am hourly/non-exempt and the thought of bootstrapping and doing 10 hours a weekend and adding 30% to my paycheck for 2 or 3 months sounds pretty cool if I could find the motivation.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

Since there's like only two women in the entire division, one of whom is me, then short of a mass layoff they might be afraid to get rid of me, especially since no-one else knows how to do my stuff and it brings in money.

If no one else knows how to do your stuff, the purchasing company may not understand what stuff you do and decide that you're not actually important after all.

:ohdear: good luck!

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

YOTJ !!!!

:yotj:

IT manager at an engineering firm, options, bonuses, flexible PTO policy.

105 week job search is oooover.

Congrats, I resigned today to take a new gig. Not the same thing but I know the "got a new job feeling". Good luck.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drukqs posted:

Congrats!

A fresh batch of computer illiterate nimrods submitting idiotic tickets and undereducated subordinates escalating them to you!

(all of which you are contractually obligated to regurgitate here)

Yes, of course. But the CEO expects people who rely on computers to do their job to have "use a computer" as a job skill. The first thing he said when he interviewed with me was "The big perk of being a CEO is you don't have to work with assholes." Then we spent about 20 minutes on "pitch me a migration to Google Apps" and "we have this great PBX but nobody ever uses the call park feature", how do we get people to exploit or technology to the maximum ?" He has a good point, I've never seen call park used live either.

So, don't be an rear end in a top hat and help people use their computers better. :toot:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

mllaneza posted:

how do we get people to exploit or technology to the maximum ?"

I wouldnt mind a discussion on how to do exactly this.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Some VIP posted:

I would like to have the short side of my desk be against the window and
the long side be parallel with the door. Can we reconfigure the setup?

We have a facilities team that could do this. The guy could do it himself if he really cared.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Potato Alley posted:

As I recall though, in the UK and since she has a fair bit of seniority, she can't just be walked out the door like in the US (when being laid off, that is - that's only for egregious offenses like failing to oppress Indians on a daily basis or something). They have to give her a lot of notice / time, like 2-4 weeks.

This may be all stuff I made up in a fevered dream about a magical land where workers have rights, but I think some of it is accurate.

My T&Cs for a redundancy (lay off in US terms) are 4 weeks notice and 1 week's pay for every year I've worked there, currently 3 years.

If they want to march me off site there and then, it would be either "gardening leave" when you're technically still employed and aren't allowed to work for someone else, but they don't want you showing up, or "pay in lieu of notice" where I'd get seven weeks pay and stop being an employee.

Not great. If I can last a few more months then it becomes 4 years which would be slightly better.

A lot better than what you US people get though.

My biggest fear right now is that the new buyer is American, so while I'm protected by UK law, the culture may be more closely aligned with US law. Not sure I have it in me right now to go through an employment tribunal.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

For a single desktop tech, 350 pcs (~275 laptops ~75 desktops, 50% are out of wtty) 600 monitors, 400 voip phones, 100 mobiles. Is that about right? low? high? way high?
From my personal experience, that's way high. At my former company, we had around 350 users with laptops, relatively the same amount of monitors and phones as you, and a BYOD policy (but helped set them up for email -- no troubleshooting though). We got by with an IT staff of three for a while, then expanded to five to keep pace with incoming issues. I have heard that, since I left in February, they have had to expand again.

It's not quite a perfect parallel, because I'm not separating out "systems & infrastructure" from "desktop & endpoint" -- the company certainly didn't either, and certainly for myself and my closest colleague, our daily work encompassed desktop duties, sysadmin duties, network admin duties, and everything in between. So it's hard to draw a useful conclusion from my anecdotal data.

However, I would almost certainly say that you're overloaded with just one tech. I hope you have a ticketing system (even if it's a totally rudimentary Excel spreadsheet with issue) so you can point to the work you've done. If you don't have one, get one, even if you have to make it up as you go along. You need to be able to point to a) how much work you do in a given day, and b) how much other poo poo you haven't been able to get to. Paint this in terms of lost productivity for the rest of the company because there's simply too much stuff for you to handle (i.e. "the company is losing more money because people are sitting around waiting on their computers than they would pay for another desktop tech"). Think like the business, who probably just sees IT as a cost center.

quote:

Edit: I am hourly/non-exempt and the thought of bootstrapping and doing 10 hours a weekend and adding 30% to my paycheck for 2 or 3 months sounds pretty cool if I could find the motivation.
Don't do it. It's tempting, but you'll burn yourself out. You could probably use those 10 hours a week to find a job paying more money if that's what you wanted :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wintermuteCF posted:

Don't do it. It's tempting, but you'll burn yourself out. You could probably use those 10 hours a week to find a job paying more money if that's what you wanted :)

Listen to this man. There's no point doing an unrewarding job and working all the hours you're sent just because it pays well if you put enough hours on the clock. Polishing up a resume and sending off applications is going to be a lot more interesting than setting up laptops, and a chance of a much greater payoff.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

toe shoes posted:

We have a facilities team that could do this. The guy could do it himself if he really cared.

Is he asking you to verify that this move wouldn't screw up the magic cords that supply the mystery box on his desk with cat videos? There have been pages of conversations about the exact inverse of this problem, where people moved desks and now the sole network drop is blocked by a replica of the Resolute Desk.

I had my desktop's UPS die, and when I went to remove it so I could swap a new one from IT, I found that while I could unplug it, the plug was being trapped by the desks. They were locked into some tetris-like configuration that would need to start being unlocked by moving a 15-foot drafting table. So I verified that they were just trashing the entire thing instead of replacing the battery, and then took a pair of scissors to the cord to liberate it. :feelsgood:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

YOTJ !!!!

:yotj:

IT manager at an engineering firm, options, bonuses, flexible PTO policy.

105 week job search is oooover.

hell yeah mofo.jpg

But the big M? Does this mean your hair must grow pointy and your technical knowledge drops by a level imperceptible in one day, but huge over time?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

My T&Cs for a redundancy (lay off in US terms) are 4 weeks notice and 1 week's pay for every year I've worked there, currently 3 years.

If they want to march me off site there and then, it would be either "gardening leave" when you're technically still employed and aren't allowed to work for someone else, but they don't want you showing up, or "pay in lieu of notice" where I'd get seven weeks pay and stop being an employee.

Not great. If I can last a few more months then it becomes 4 years which would be slightly better.

My biggest fear right now is that the new buyer is American, so while I'm protected by UK law, the culture may be more closely aligned with US law. Not sure I have it in me right now to go through an employment tribunal.

Right now is the best time to look for a new job, while you still have one. I'm doing the same thing right now, and I can afford to be extremely picky, so can you.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A boss meeting came in...

quote:

"You need to have your Blackberry on you at all times. If an issue or alert comes up you need to respond to it or let me know when you anticipate being able to respond ti it." -Boss

quote:

"I want to make sure there's work-life balance. Your personal life is your own." -Boss

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?
YotJ can't come fast enough.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No? Your personal time is when he doesn't need you for work. Simple concept.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MJP posted:

hell yeah mofo.jpg

But the big M? Does this mean your hair must grow pointy and your technical knowledge drops by a level imperceptible in one day, but huge over time?

I'm slowly getting to the point where I never want to touch a printer again, and would rather sit around getting quotes for poo poo we don't need, while throwing unrealistic projects at my team from upon high.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mattavist posted:

I had a bit of an argument with my boss one day when we needed a fiber tech because a contractor accidentally cut a protected fiber circuit (No I never heard from the contractor again why do you ask?). It was about 3:00AM so everyone was obviously sleeping. (Yes, I am one of those NOC fuckers who wake you up at some ungodly hour of the night with no remorse for some stupid poo poo that you don't want to deal with.)

The normal procedure for us is to call the supervisor, who will wake up their on call tech and roll out to fix it. If the supervisor doesn't pick up, we work our way up the food chain. Except I had no response when I called both supervisors. And their Manager. And their Director. And their VP. Three times each.

Hours later after we got the whole thing fixed, my boss told me off for not trying to call individual fiber techs. My argument was that I didn't have an on call list and I flat out won't call someone who's not on call because it's a hosed up thing to do and is probably an HR nightmare, especially for something that's not service impacting. In fact, not only do I feel it's hosed up, it also directly contradicts our official procedure, which is also how I got away with flat out refusing to do something. I'm not that well adjusted to the whole Corporate America thing, but even I had the sense not to tell him that if I ever get a call at 3:00AM for something work related when I'm not on call, that person is going to be told to go gently caress themselves and I'm going straight to HR and raising hell.

Appropriately enough, a similar situation popped up a few months later, my coworkers did call the tech directly, but my entire department got loving reamed by the tech's manager because he doesn't want us doing that for the exact same reasons I didn't. And of course, I was the unlucky bastard who picked up the phone, so I was the first one to get it even though I had no involvement.

(I guess this isn't IT directly, but it's an entertaining thread and moderately appropriate)

e: FIXED WRONG THREAD WHOOPS

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 17, 2013

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mattavist posted:

"We're IT operations. Our JOB is to keep things running and to be alert. This is being alert - I don't think this is too much to ask."

Apparently it's too much to mention when someone asks what the on-call rotation would be like during the interview and be told it's quarterly on-call

Well, at least I know now: "other than on-call rotation and emergencies, what are the after-hours expectations for this position?"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Welp, almost made it a week.

A call came in this morning, server was down at one of the satellite offices. I wasn't able to remotely connect, local users didn't have access to shared drives. I attempted to contact anyone on my team, nobody was replying to email or phone. I made arrangements for one of our techs who was in the city of the office that was down to go onsite as soon as his site visit was finished, 40 minutes after the outage was reported to me. I emailed the full client support team about the issue. The goes onsite, find the machine hard locked, gets it safely restarted and I get him to do a quick network device catalog as our documentation is badly out of date.

I just got off the phone with the account lead. I am incompetent because I wasted the time of other staff in the company for work I should have done myself.. The server that was down was a virtual server and the ESX host was able to be remoted to. I checked our documentation and the server was listed as a physical box with no additional servers onsite. Well it was until the account lead changed the documentation to show the virtual server with a page creation date of 30 minutes ago for the ESX host.

I do have a meeting this weekmonth with the general manager for my yearly review so I will be bringing this up to him as well.

With luck the review wont matter, I have another batch of resume's out in the wild I am hoping to hear from. I also have some in with colleagues at different contracting companies so I am hoping for those as well.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 17, 2013

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Email came in from business operations manager (history: I YOTJ'd to this position 3 weeks ago. My counterpart has been here 4 months. Neither of us have a clue about any of this crap quite yet).

:ohdear: I'm not so sure about our licensing, could you guys look in to making sure we're all up to date?

Well it turns out we aren't. By a lot. I have the other guy send off some emails to folks trying to figure out what to do. We eventually find our rep for licensing and get him to send a quote.

:banjo: I got the quote back!

:cool: how much did they say?

:banjo:...uhm. $40k.

:cool: Whoa. We don't have anything close to that amount of money. What the hell are we going to do?!

:banjo: :cool: .......wait. Don't we work at a nonprofit?

Requote came back at less than $4k. Holy poo poo.

edit: this is interesting, as shouldn't our rep have known this and been offering us the nonprofit rate to begin with? :allears:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MJP posted:

Not for a while yet, I'm the sole IT for probably a year or two. The M just means I have to do budgets.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Spudalicious posted:

edit: this is interesting, as shouldn't our rep have known this and been offering us the nonprofit rate to begin with? :allears:

He gets a much smaller bonus on 4k, then he does 40k.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

MJP posted:

"We're IT operations. Our JOB is to keep things running and to be alert. This is being alert - I don't think this is too much to ask."

Apparently it's too much to mention when someone asks what the on-call rotation would be like during the interview and be told it's quarterly on-call

Well, at least I know now: "other than on-call rotation and emergencies, what are the after-hours expectations for this position?"

See, the problem isn't with the idea, it's with the people executing them.

Since IT outages can potentially cost a lot of money for the company, it should be perfectly reasonable for people to stay reachable as much as possible, in the event that everything catches fire (figuratively).

And then, ideally, if something pops up, the person can just say "Yeah, I can take care of that in the morning" or whathaveyou and everyone is happy. Or, you just don't respond and all that's said is, "Did you get that message last night?" "Yeah, I was in the middle of something so I couldn't answer it." "Okay, cool. Please take care of it when you can."

But what really happens is that people have unrealistic expectations, etc. and can't be an adult about things, so you have to say "Nope, if I'm not working, I'm not doing anything work-related, even if it's answering a message" because if you give an inch they'll take a mile.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Our sysadmin said something about Windows 8.1 and now there's a lot of incoherent shouting coming from his office and he keeps saying "Start Menu."

Lum posted:

In case of layoffs we get two months' notice plus another month's notice per year we've worked here with a maximum of 12 months' notice. Unused vacation and comp time are paid out, holidays and personal days can be used or you lose them. If you get laid off and you're eligible for any job with a vacancy, they have to give you that job if you want it, same once they start hiring again.

totalnewbie posted:

See, the problem isn't with the idea, it's with the people executing them.

Since IT outages can potentially cost a lot of money for the company, it should be perfectly reasonable for people to stay reachable as much as possible, in the event that everything catches fire (figuratively).

And then, ideally, if something pops up, the person can just say "Yeah, I can take care of that in the morning" or whathaveyou and everyone is happy. Or, you just don't respond and all that's said is, "Did you get that message last night?" "Yeah, I was in the middle of something so I couldn't answer it." "Okay, cool. Please take care of it when you can."

But what really happens is that people have unrealistic expectations, etc. and can't be an adult about things, so you have to say "Nope, if I'm not working, I'm not doing anything work-related, even if it's answering a message" because if you give an inch they'll take a mile.
I made the mistake of watching a few minutes of Fox News a few weeks ago and they were talking about how ridiculous it was that people would ignore an email from their boss while off the clock and not expect to be fired for it. I'll answer my phone and check my email as a courtesy if I have time, but our contract explicitly states that doing so is voluntary and if your boss wants you on call, you getting an hour of comp time for every 4 you're on call plus 1:1 for travel and doing work.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 17, 2013

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

MJP posted:

Yeah I figured that out when a recruiter told me. The correct answer to any question about after-hour availability is that you don't have a problem with it, and it is never acceptable to put up a question yourself that looks like you're in any way not ok with 100% availability. Even if the company actually has a completely reasonable policy asking a question like that puts you up as lazy and unhireable. You're much better off simply pretending not to hear your bosses phone calls after the probationary period, it's not like they're going to fire you if you have some kind of plausible deniability.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

peak debt posted:

Yeah I figured that out when a recruiter told me. The correct answer to any question about after-hour availability is that you don't have a problem with it, and it is never acceptable to put up a question yourself that looks like you're in any way not ok with 100% availability. Even if the company actually has a completely reasonable policy asking a question like that puts you up as lazy and unhireable. You're much better off simply pretending not to hear your bosses phone calls after the probationary period, it's not like they're going to fire you if you have some kind of plausible deniability.

No, I'm sorry. This is information gathering. I need to get a clear picture of the work environment and expectations of a company before I start working there. That is going to includes questions about their technical processes, hours, scheduling, flexibility, and anything else I can think of that may affect the next several years of my life at this company. I'm going to word the questions in such a way as to not imply a preference on my part, but when I'm job hunting, I'm comparing companies. After-hours policy is another point of comparison. If they pass me over because they think simply wanting to know what my schedule will be like implies laziness, then they've done me a loving favor by not wasting any more of my time. I am not a supplicant, begging for scraps from the king's table. I am a professional. If they can't treat me as one, then I have no interest in a business relationship with them.

As far as after-hours work is concerned, I'm going to be compensated for it. No, I'm not asking. It's not something I'm going to try and get. If I have to support a program I made, and it's in use at 3 in the morning and dies, and it's important that it gets running again, yes, I will be there. But if I'm not getting paid very well for that time specifically, don't expect to see me in the office the next morning (again, unless there is a presentation or something that I had already agreed to). My field does tend to be a salaried one, by the way.

Frankly I don't see why any company balks at an emergency fund for poo poo like this. You got your hourly techs coming in during the witching hour to fix a problem that, gone unchecked would cost you MILLIONS OF DOLLARS? What the gently caress is a couple thousand dollars paid out to people to make sure they will be willing to bust their rear end to get poo poo back online?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Che Delilas posted:

What the gently caress is a couple thousand dollars paid out to people to make sure they will be willing to bust their rear end to get poo poo back online?

A couple of thousand more than they think they can avoid paying and add to their own bonus instead.

The stupid thing is any decent staff are going to care enough about their systems to make themselves reasonably available anyway. I do 1 week in 5 of 24 hour on call, for critical systems only (and not directly with end users ever) for which I get a monthly payment, plus overtime for any actual work I do and I can take that same amount of time off the next day. While on call I have to respond to a call within 30 minutes (so I don't even have to actually answer the phone) and I'm expected to keep an eye on my email for monitoring alerts which is just glancing at it once an hour or so while I'm awake.

Since this is a perfectly reasonable policy, everyone on my team goes a bit further to help out, so if something comes up I have no problem with whoever is on call dropping me an email to ask for some help/advice and if I spot a minor issue while idly checking my phone I'll sometimes just jump on and fix it since I'll have to do it later anyway. But if that standard policy was ever bumped down you can guarantee that outside of work hours my phone would be off unless I was getting overtime.

At the end of the day it's just good management, treating your employees with respect and reasonable remuneration isn't even expensive, but if you do that they'll move heaven and earth for you when poo poo goes bad.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Frankly I don't see why any company balks at an emergency fund for poo poo like this. You got your hourly techs coming in during the witching hour to fix a problem that, gone unchecked would cost you MILLIONS OF DOLLARS? What the gently caress is a couple thousand dollars paid out to people to make sure they will be willing to bust their rear end to get poo poo back online?

In my experience rich people are miserly shitheads. I can't list the number of times I was called an rear end in a top hat for losing someone MILLIONS of dollars because their stupid loving $12 a month shared web hosting was down.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

In my experience rich people are miserly shitheads. I can't list the number of times I was called an rear end in a top hat for losing someone MILLIONS of dollars because their stupid loving $12 a month shared web hosting was down.

You don't get rich by paying out more than you absolutely have to for something. Although usually the ones ranting about the failure of a bottom dollar item costing them millions in lost business opportunities are full of poo poo and looking to blame someone else for their failing business.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Varkk posted:

You don't get rich by paying out more than you absolutely have to for something. Although usually the ones ranting about the failure of a bottom dollar item costing them millions in lost business opportunities are full of poo poo and looking to blame someone else for their failing business.

The less money a small business actually makes, the more they will be losing during every moment of downtime. Judged solely on the metric of dollars claimed to be lost per minute when calling technical support, the American banking industry's financial clout has nothing on some dude's grandma selling homemade candles on her $5/mo shared web hosting site. (No joke, the place I used to work at literally had a bank hosting their site on our shared servers, and when their site was down, they gave no fucks. Meanwhile, some dude with a crappy little ecommerce site that gets like ten visitors a week would be calling every twenty minutes screaming about all his lost revenue.)

quote:

The stupid thing is any decent staff are going to care enough about their systems to make themselves reasonably available anyway. I do 1 week in 5 of 24 hour on call, for critical systems only (and not directly with end users ever) for which I get a monthly payment, plus overtime for any actual work I do and I can take that same amount of time off the next day. While on call I have to respond to a call within 30 minutes (so I don't even have to actually answer the phone) and I'm expected to keep an eye on my email for monitoring alerts which is just glancing at it once an hour or so while I'm awake.

Man, I wish my current job would do something like that. Our team has a monitoring rotation during which we have to play NOC and actively watch our monitoring system until midnight all week (and 9AM to midnight on the weekend) and be available instantly at all times to respond to alerts. That person is called the "on-call" person, but in reality we are all on call 24/7/365 and expected to work after hours for all emergencies affecting the systems we're responsible for, and for all planned changes (patches, system reboots, migrations, etc.) that have to be done after hours, in addition to our normal 40-45 hours of work during normal business hours every week. We get no overtime pay or comp time from the company for any of that.

Luckily my boss is cool and doesn't mind if we leave a bit early sometimes or need to take a day off here or there for personal reasons, because he knows how much work we put in. Some sort of official comp time policy from the company would be nice, though; pretty much all of the technical departments put in tons of after-hours work all the time and don't get anything for it, and not all of them have managers who will give them some leeway. :(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yall could probably make more taking it in the rear end doing porn than IT

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Varkk posted:

Yeah I worded that paragraph poorly. I know WHY these companies don't pay for this time. Because all they look at are the hard numbers. Any amount of overtime pay is greater than $0, and if they can bully someone into accepting $0, then why not, right?

Of course, they refuse to acknowledge the vastly larger amount of money it's actually costing them when they do that. Because when management shows that they will find any excuse to screw an employee out of time or money, employees will respond to that with apathy towards their job and company values. They are going to stop going out of their way to really get ahead of problems and help people and handle support tickets quickly and well. Morale drops across the board, people start quitting, and suddenly you have to start the hiring process again, which costs tons of money.

But it's not immediately visible. It's hard to quantify. And managers don't give two shits about employee happiness because it's not a motherfucking line item on a profit/loss sheet.

I'm ranting. I feel like this belongs in the pissoff thread, but the topic came up here. Ah well.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sirotan posted:

By that logic is it ok for people to look at porn on company time and on a company computer? What about gambling? Or using company resources (time, computers) for personal projects? I can think of plenty examples that are probably legal, and highly inappropriate. Much like looking for a new job on company time.

As far as I know there are no laws governing this in the US. My company's policy is that personal computer/internet use should only be done on personal time (ie, breaks). I would guess 100% of the time that policy is not followed, nor is it really enforced on our end. We did block streaming media recently due, but that was more due to the considerable chunk of bandwidth it was taking up than how appropriate it was for our users to be accessing it on company time.

What do I care if he places his bets in his break via the PC? Could do it via phone as well. It being used outside of breaks is a separate issue. Porn usually goes hand in hand with jacking off, which is obviously extreme misbehavior. And watching porn also doesn't exactly help the image of the company. But honestly, what does it matter to me if Jake from accounting checks his bank account or looks at attractive women in his break? As long as he's not jacking it and not exposing others to it, I couldn't give less fucks. I am not big brother and I don't want to be. I feel like it is no one's business to tell people what they can look at or not. If you really think trying everything to stop people from doing private stuff on their work PC, GJ demotivating your employees. They'll just use their phone or find some other way to occupy themselves during downtime they might have. It is the most retarded thing to try and artificially fill downtime, and I will never get tired of telling people to stop doing it.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

what country is that? Only one I can think of is the where internet is a "human right", but even then you are utilizing private property.

Austria. It's pretty similar in most of the EU I think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SEKCobra posted:

They'll just use their phone or find some other way to occupy themselves during downtime they might have

That is the point. To not have them do it on company computers and connections.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

guppy posted:

I know developers often don't really know poo poo about computers outside their specialty, but I'd expect one to at least read and understand that message, and try retyping the password. Not only did he not retype it on his own, he was even resistant to the idea of retyping the password when I suggested it, but eventually he did it and it worked. Of course.
Eh, next to sysadmins, developers are by far (on average) the most computer competent people you'll find.

And yes, I know someone out there has a 55-year-old red-stapler buffoon of a developer working at their company who can barely operate their computer... but on average!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pilsner posted:

Eh, next to sysadmins, developers are by far (on average) the most computer competent people you'll find.
A huge HUGE number of developers are absolutely godawful and in no way should be getting money for doing a task that may even possibly involve computers. The thing to do here is check what sort of situation they've been working in - if they tend to work in small groups / on their own then they've never had anywhere to hide, but when you're looking at someone who's never worked in a programming group smaller than 10 or 20 (with gaps big enough between jobs to hide 3 month probations in smaller groups that they've washed out of), you've a good chance of having yourself a Wally.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Porn usually goes hand in hand with jacking off

I'm no expert, but I always presumed there was something else in the hand when doing that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Install Windows posted:

That is the point. To not have them do it on company computers and connections.

If you think the UK has a more liberal attitude towards these things then let me tell you, we British have nothing on continental Europe.

That's not to say that I'm not raising an eyebrow at the idea of watching porn at work because I am and think it's pretty gross, but the idea of blocking sites is to reduce liability for the company. The simple fact is that in Europe a lot of people would be surprised that people think there's a liability issue in that - weird for all sort of reasons and probably in breach of policy if discovered yes, but it wouldn't be seen as something the company would be liable for.

When you get right down to it, what exactly is the liability?

edit:
Although thinking about it, the amount of dodgy adverts with driveby malware installers might be a good liability point.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 18, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My significant other is a Java programmer but by and large she is terrible at troubleshooting computer issues. She just doesn't give a poo poo, she just wants her compiler to work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rolleyes posted:

When you get right down to it, what exactly is the liability?

A Hostile Work Environment.

If employees view material that causes offense to another employee and management tacitly allows this to continue, the second employee could leave and sue for constructive dismal, claiming that it was a hostile work environment.

Blocking pron sites is an easy way to protect the employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lum posted:

I'm no expert, but I always presumed there was something else in the hand when doing that.

Further research needed!

• Locked thread