Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Badgerpoo posted:

Are you looking for 1Gb or 10Gb edge ports? Do you want to stack?

1 GB, and I don't think stacking is a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

adorai posted:

I don't have production experience, but we looked at them and got scared by the backplane speeds.

What scared you? The only issue I see is they won't do full line rate on every port @ 64b/pkt (that only gets up to ~128Gbps). It's a Sup-6E in a box. Just don't use the 8x10GE cards in the top slots, since each of those slots are only 40Gb to the fabric. Should be fine for IMIX applications.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ToG posted:

This isn't a strictly Cisco question but can you make ntp more tolerant of time difference for a switch. We enabled ntp on a few switches and now they're spewing snmp messages about the time changing a few times an hour. Our monitoring software throws an alarm for this but it's literally changes of sub second values.

I would think the fix here would be to adjust the alerting on the monitoring server. You want NTP to stay as close as possible, or you could look at suppressing the SNMP trap related to NTP drift.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Erkenntnis posted:

If you don't need stacking, I would go with the 3560x. 1gb speeds and you can still throw a 2-port 10gb NM in there if you really needed down the road.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Erkenntnis posted:

3560 may be a good bet. More reasonably priced and has options for 10gig.

ed

beaten

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010
I'd put the new 10G 3650s in, 3560X is old hat now.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ragzilla posted:

What scared you? The only issue I see is they won't do full line rate on every port @ 64b/pkt (that only gets up to ~128Gbps). It's a Sup-6E in a box. Just don't use the 8x10GE cards in the top slots, since each of those slots are only 40Gb to the fabric. Should be fine for IMIX applications.

Alright. That's an awesome tip ragzilla. Thanks for that. I'm not going to be pushing anything close to line rate through this (since it's a WAN link aggregation switch, and our total edge connectivity is far less than 100gbps. But knowing the backplane speed for the module slots is handy info for future reference. I'll probably just break those ports out into twin-gig fiber.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We use those switches as part of our REP ring for venues, they seem solid.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

jwh posted:

I had used RiOS boxes before, supposedly for wan opt, but our users were pretty ambivalent about apparent improvement.

This most recent need for long term pcap retention came about as part of a 'security incident', so they're asking for long term forensic capabilities.

I'm sure we'll figure something out. I'm still of the mind that they don't actually need full frames written to disk for, say, 90 days, but then again, I just work here.

NetWitness for commercial, Moloch for open source / roll your own.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

NetWitness for commercial, Moloch for open source / roll your own.

NetWitness is garbage and does not handle the rates they claim at full pcap.

EDIT: On a related note, anyone here actually *at* Cisco? I'm looking for a contact to talk to about cheating on the CCIE R&S Lab exam.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I'm looking for a contact to talk to about cheating on the CCIE R&S Lab exam.

Uh what? You're looking for a Cisco employee to help you cheat on the CCIE lab?

---

Is NAGIOS worth installing in a VM to play around with monitoring? At work we use SolarWinds, so that's the only real monitoring and logging platform I've messed around with.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QPZIL posted:

---

Is NAGIOS worth installing in a VM to play around with monitoring? At work we use SolarWinds, so that's the only real monitoring and logging platform I've messed around with.

I don't see why not if you're interested in it, it's pretty widespread. Solarwinds annoys me in having some functionality in the Web UI and then a lot of other stuff you need to run something that was produced in the win2k era. Otherwise it just works and is generally not a pain in my rear end.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

EDIT: On a related note, anyone here actually *at* Cisco? I'm looking for a contact to talk to about cheating on the CCIE R&S Lab exam.

Ior works at Cisco Norway, I believe.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

QPZIL posted:

---

It's what we use. Functional. Pretty easy.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
No no, not me. I am looking for someone at Cisco I can talk to about someone else cheating for the CCIE Lab...

Full disclosure, there is a member of my team that is actively "studying" (read: cheating) for his CCIE written and lab, in hopes to certify by the end of the year. My hope was to put him on some radar of sorts at Cisco.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Why?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Why? Because cheating is cheating anyway you slice it..?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's part of the race to the bottom as far as the value of certs goes. Sadly it seems unavoidable and widespread. There was some graph someone created about the length of time it took to get 10K CCIEs and it was less than half that time to get the next 20K. What's the number at now 40k?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I would think the fix here would be to adjust the alerting on the monitoring server. You want NTP to stay as close as possible, or you could look at suppressing the SNMP trap related to NTP drift.

It's HPs iMC software (formally h3c) and I can't find a way to filter the traps based on the offset/ntp time. We obviously want to know if a devices time changes just not every time it's adjusted by 0.2ms

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

Anyone have any recommendations regarding control plain policing on a sup 720?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Baseline for your environment. Start with liberal policies and then tighten. Read the C-NSP threads that are out there.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ToG posted:

It's HPs iMC software (formally h3c) and I can't find a way to filter the traps based on the offset/ntp time. We obviously want to know if a devices time changes just not every time it's adjusted by 0.2ms

Quick glance at Cisco IOS, it doesn't look like there is a trap configuration for NTP, so I am guessing these are not Cisco devices?

As I mentioned, you could look to suppress the SNMP traps, but I don't think you'll be able to suppress them based on time either, it will be an on/of option.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Am I correct in understanding EtherChannel as just a logical interface ("PortChannel#") that represents a group of physical interfaces (e.g. "FastEthernet0/1 - 4"), so that it's easier to manage? Or is there more to it than that?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

QPZIL posted:

Am I correct in understanding EtherChannel as just a logical interface ("PortChannel#") that represents a group of physical interfaces (e.g. "FastEthernet0/1 - 4"), so that it's easier to manage? Or is there more to it than that?

Not exactly; you are bonding links together to increase available throughput when you build a PortChannel/Etherchannel/Aggregate-Ethernet interface.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Not exactly; you are bonding links together to increase available throughput when you build a PortChannel/Etherchannel/Aggregate-Ethernet interface.

Ah, so instead of STP blocking one of the links, both get used simultaneously to increase throughput? I get it. Thanks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Make sure you are only connecting an etherchannel to one device and not like 4 different hosts or whatever. (there are exceptions to this, but to keep it easy). One interface per host. If you are connecting to a switch make sure the switch also has an ether-channel configured.

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

tortilla_chip posted:

Baseline for your environment. Start with liberal policies and then tighten. Read the C-NSP threads that are out there.

anyone have anything more specific than this?

Thanks in advance.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Do you have a more specifc question? CoPP works, but it's definitely not a one size fits all solution.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

tortilla_chip posted:

Do you have a more specifc question? CoPP works, but it's definitely not a one size fits all solution.

And it tends to need other features to ensure availability of the device under attack. Best place to start with CoPP/MLS rate-limit is to span your CPU for a week and see what traffic levels are ordinary.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Quick glance at Cisco IOS, it doesn't look like there is a trap configuration for NTP, so I am guessing these are not Cisco devices?

As I mentioned, you could look to suppress the SNMP traps, but I don't think you'll be able to suppress them based on time either, it will be an on/of option.

It's the hp gear shouting about this. There must be a way to adjust the traps on the device.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ToG posted:

It's the hp gear shouting about this. There must be a way to adjust the traps on the device.

What is the snmp trap configuration of the HP ProCurve look like? It has been ages since I worked in one, but it was essentially a rip of IOS or very similar.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Ah, so instead of STP blocking one of the links, both get used simultaneously to increase throughput? I get it. Thanks.

Be aware you may not see a 2x increase in speed.

You might also need to play around with the hashing algorithms as well.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Etherchannel isn't really useful for one ip to one ip file transfers, since the hashing algorithm will always send it through the same pipe. One to many or many to many can utilize all pipes depending on the hashing.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

What is the snmp trap configuration of the HP ProCurve look like? It has been ages since I worked in one, but it was essentially a rip of IOS or very similar.

It's not procurve. They're 5500s, the old h3c style switches . Not sure on configuration as I'm not a hp guy really.

Edit: I just filtered the alarms and added a policy compliance task to run the show ntp status equivalent command on all the devices and detect if the output doesn't say synchronised as the status.

ToG fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 23, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
See what you guys think about this:

A switch with an SVI 500 with an IP on it. There's an interface on that switch trunked with only that VLAN. It is also in that vlan. /30 is advertised on router.

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description test
switchport access vlan 500
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 500
switchport mode trunk

interface Vlan500
description test
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
end

That interface is cabled to a router with a subinterface with dot1q encapsulation. Now, if it has the other half of the /30 on it and the /30 advertised, I can ping across the link both ways no problem.

interface FastEthernet0/0
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.500
encapsulation dot1Q 500
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.252

Now, what if I wanted to have FA 0/1 also carry traffic on vlan 500? Creating a subinterface and tagging it with dot1q 500 traffic does nothing. I assume the tag is getting stripped at the other interface. The Vlan-ID command creates a dot1q tag on fa0/1 but it doesn't work. I suspect that works in a different application anyway.

Basically I'd like to bridge the 500 vlan between the two interfaces, with the host on one end plugged into the fa0/0, svi 500, using one half of the IP, able to communicate with a device plugged into fa 0/1 using the other half of the /30.

I don't think it's possible but appealing to those who know better.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description test
switchport access vlan 500
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 500
switchport mode trunk

interface Vlan500
description test
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
end

First off, the command switchport access vlan 500 does nothing here, since the port its a trunk. It clutters up your config, so please remove it.
Alternatively, if this won't ever carry more than one VLAN you could keep it as an access port.

It might be possible depending on the device. But, instead of a tired interface, you need a switchport:

interface range fastEthernet 0/0 - 1
No ip address
Switchport
Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk allowed vlan 500

This should do the trick, if your device can support switchports

Jelmylicious fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 24, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Thanks, and I thought that was the case, but having that interface as just a switchport I couldn't ping either side of the circuit from either device. Placed it as a trunk and was able to ping.

The device I'm working with is a 2800 router so no switchports.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How were you planning on addressing the fa0/1 subnet?

And if you just have one device plugged into the router, why would you need a VLAN at all? If 192.168.1.1 addresses a packet to, say, 10.1.1.1, if it's in the routing table, it won't need any VLAN tag.

If you want to use a VLAN on the fa0/1 side of the router, you'd need to have a switch there and the device plugged into an access port on VLAN 500. And if you did that, you'd have to do the same subinterface setup on that side. Think of it like this,

Switchport: "Hey, f0/0! I've got a packet here for 10.1.1.100 from VLAN500!"
f0/0: "Cool, my bro f0/0.500 deals with VLAN500-tagged traffic, I'll pass it to him."
f0/0.500: "Hey a new packet! Okay it's from VLAN500... hm, nope, 10.1.1.100 isn't in my local VLAN500 subnet, I'll see if it's in the routing table. First, gotta strip off these tags!"

Here's where two things could happen,

f0/1: "Hey, the routing table told me there's a packet that needs to be delivered to 10.1.1.100 and that I (10.1.1.1) am the next hop! Awesome. Alright, I know 10.1.1.100 is directly connect, so off you go."

OR

f0/1.500: "Hey the routing table told me there's a packet that needs to be delivered to 10.1.1.100 and that I (10.1.1.1) am the next hop! Awesome. Alright, gonna send this to the switch tagged with VLAN500 so that it will broadcast only out of the ports it says are VLAN500 ports. Best of luck little packet!"

That's a little convoluted of an explanation, but the gist is this: f0/0 and f0/1 doesn't know anything about each others' VLAN tags. If you want to route VLAN500 through the router for whatever reason, you'll need a new VLAN500 subinterface with a new subnet.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Out of force of habit, I always build router links as sub-if's on the off chance I might need to carry another vlan to a differnt vrf / lsys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Thanks, and I thought that was the case, but having that interface as just a switchport I couldn't ping either side of the circuit from either device. Placed it as a trunk and was able to ping.

The device I'm working with is a 2800 router so no switchports.

Too bad. Is this a lab setup, or production? If it's a lab, I could give some funky suggestions.
What is the need for layer 2 connectivity between a switch and a host? Can't you just route to a second /30?