Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Here's an update on keyboard & mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

El Seven posted:

Here's an update on keyboard & mouse.

KB&M patch just came out on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/241540/discussions/0/810938810654192309/

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 18, 2013

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

randomcommoner posted:

I started playing this game recently and just got my first survivor killed trying to get Lilly's memento. To be fair I was carrying a rucksack full of ammo, heavily tired and managed to get the only car around stuck over a tree trunk by doing maneuvers trying to kill the infestation zombies which also included a random horde or two that was casually strolling around that godforsaken place.
Rest in peace Maya, you got torn in half by zombies and gently caress if I'm gonna head back there to recover your mutilated corpse in a long time.

I find that mission most enjoyable when my backpack's full of firecrackers and proximity firebombs. I think of it less as a fight and more as a rad backpedalling zombie obstacle course.

jerichojx posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on getting a Machinist Shop going?

Do they actually fix the engine?

Pay for the upgrade, wait a while, then squeal with glee as you never have to make a marathon dash to find a fresh car ever again.

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, Something Awful, I must ask you the important question:

Is this worth my money?

It looks fun, and I do like the idea of a survival version of Dead Rising, but how much replayability is there? It sounds like a single-player, less flat-out brutal version of DayZ, which I am all about, but should I drop $20 bucks on it?

Naaaah it's terrible, we all hate it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
It's kind of absurd that they're only charging $20 for this game. I guess on console it's a $20 game and they wanted to keep even pricing across platforms, but this is being way undersold on PC.

*e*
This is worth 20bux in the same way that KSP is worth 20bux.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 19, 2013

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, Something Awful, I must ask you the important question:

Is this worth my money?

It looks fun, and I do like the idea of a survival version of Dead Rising, but how much replayability is there? It sounds like a single-player, less flat-out brutal version of DayZ, which I am all about, but should I drop $20 bucks on it?

Alright, since I missed this when you first posted it. I'd say it depends on whether you're talking about the 360 version or the steam version. I don't know jack about the one on consoles but I've honestly had a blast playing it on PC. It's not perfect and it does have a handful of little things that are mildly annoying but overall I'd say that I absolutely got $20 worth of gameplay and fun out of it. To be honest I'd probably have been fine paying $10-$20 more if I'd known how much fun I'd have with it. The only reason that I've actually stopped playing it was because I was afraid I'd end up burning myself out on it before the DLC arrived later this month. I think the DayZ comparison is somewhat fair in that you spend a lot of time sneaking around empty buildings looking for supplies but the combat, especially the melee combat, is far more in-depth than DayZ's was, at least to me. I would also say that replayability is fairly high considering that at this point I've pretty much done 2.5 playthroughs and still found it pretty drat fun. So yeah, overall I'd say this is absolutely worth $20.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Any fixes for the godawful mouse acceleration yet?

Why devs continue to have it forced on in PC games absolutely mystifies me. Pure laziness.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ok, so after Shima Honnou and Feeble recommended this game, I have to thank the people here. This game is awesome and beautiful and fun and I love it. Worth every penny.

Just started upgrading my base, set up a couple of defensive outposts on the main highways, and still getting used to the whole 'calling other runners' strategy. A few things, though:

I wish there was a way to give someone else some of the items I've found on runs. Several times I've had to mark off a spot because it held an extra weapon to nab, or some painkillers that I didn't have a slot for. I understand inventory management, but that dude's pockets are empty, and I'm sure he'd appreciate this .44 magnum I found.

How can I set up an outpost to 'mine' for materials, instead of having to ruck them back? I read this earlier in the thread, and I don't want to get too far without setting up some resource gathering. Or am I already doing it, and I don't know why.

Alan needs to shut up about not using cars, already. Guess what? I'm not doing a ruckmarch past a horde if I have a perfectly suitable station wagon nearby to haul my rear end through them in.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
I scanned the OP and didn't see this addressed:

This seems cool but I dunno if I should get it for PC or 360. Am I right in assuming that PC will get more frequent/earlier updates as updates are free (vs on 360 where they must pay MS a fee)?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Microsoft doesn't charge fees on patching anymore. But there is still a number of limitations as well as the excruciating process that is getting a patch through certification, which is why many 360 games get "title updates" as opposed to the frequent patches that PC games with decent post-launch support see.

As it is, the PC version looks better, gives you the option of using a gamepad or mouse & keyboard, albeit with some difficulties for the latter, has limited modding support and is pretty much on par with the 360 version in every other way. On the long term, I would expect the PC version to be more up to date and better supported.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 20, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeeeeees especially since Undead Labs have said they'll release modding tools once the PC version settles down.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Finally decided to try this game out and bought it yesterday. Was fun for the small amount of time I could play it.
After about 5 minutes of play, I get this horrible stuttering/rubberbanding. Anyone else deal with this?

I've tried all the usual, drivers, change settings, etc. Switching from Ultra to Low helps out for about another minute but then it starts back up again.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

How can I set up an outpost to 'mine' for materials, instead of having to ruck them back? I read this earlier in the thread, and I don't want to get too far without setting up some resource gathering. Or am I already doing it, and I don't know why.
Once an outpost is established, the funneling of resources to your resource pools is automatic. No rucking needed. Outpost Q&A

Edit: One other thing to bear in mind... Once an outpost is established, you can safely ruck any remaining resource caches from the outpost to your base without negatively affecting your outpost's production.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 21, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Outposts produce goods when they receive their 1 Material per day upkeep. You're creating three goods out of the one material you receive. This includes materials outposts. I think it's supposed to represent moving raw materials to a place where you have tools for on-site manufactoring, but don't look too closely at how you're turning sawdust into bread or bolts into twinkies.

You can remove any further resources that are still on-site once you set up, and if there's more than one resource you can change the dominant resource by taking one away (it goes in alphabetic order, so if you want a Medicine outpost you need to remove the Food). Resourceless outposts produce ammo. If an outpost doesn't get its one material input, it does not generate output.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Any news about the Breakdown DLC on PC? I can't wait to play this game again, but I don't want to start the campaign right now, I want to play the sandbox DLC mode :(.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Last I heard it was end of October, but that was subject to bug testing for XBOX and bug testing/keyboard implementation for PC. That was two weeks ago when Breakdown was submitted for QA, not sure if anything new has surfaced since then.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Attention Horse posted:

Any news about the Breakdown DLC on PC? I can't wait to play this game again, but I don't want to start the campaign right now, I want to play the sandbox DLC mode :(.

Is the story mode now content-complete or will Breakdown be adding more to that as well? I finally purchased this because I knew I was going to anyway, but I'm going to hold off on digging in if some of the awesome features I've heard of in Breakdown will be added to the main game.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Kasonic posted:

Is the story mode now content-complete or will Breakdown be adding more to that as well? I finally purchased this because I knew I was going to anyway, but I'm going to hold off on digging in if some of the awesome features I've heard of in Breakdown will be added to the main game.

I think at some point they said that they will be adding more weapons when Breakdown is finally released - which is crazy, because the amount of weapons in this game is insane.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Kasonic posted:

Breakdown has no story. In fact, the vast majority of development was spent ripping the story out as the game depended on it.

Might be more story in the future dlcs, but that's iffy. They're more likely to do SOD 2.

Tell
May 26, 2013
After I watched The Walking Dead season 1-3 I began to search for a zombie/survival game which is similar to the series. I ended up with this game. I finished the game on PC this weekend. I was very surprised how fast I progressed trough the story. It took me about 38h hours with a rage quit/restart because Jakob died. After I lost Ed in my second attempt I wanted to restart again but my base (trucker warehouse) was to established. I'm a little bit disappointed. The gameplay itself is really cool but I was never really in the game, I had no feelings like fear because it was so easy.

The game has a lot of potential. They should stay with the gameplay and try to make the game itself more immersive + better atmosphere.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think the biggest problem with the game is that you aren't your own survivor. You're some sort of omnipresent angel possessing these survivors to help them live. Or something.

Basically, it makes it hard to connect with the characters if they're all basically you.

Tell
May 26, 2013
Yeah definitely. I mean, I "suicided" some of the survivor because they had bad skills. The 3rd person view isn't helpful either.

What I wish:
- Enemy groups/camps - fight against other survivors (guns would be useful)
- Taking new survivors should be a careful decision. It could be that they kill you while you're sleeping. Or you don't have enough food for all and someone dies because of that.

Basically add a whole new level of psychological stuff. Let me make hard decisions. Let me feel bad when I don't help neutral survivors because I know that they will die.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Does any kind of 'bad apple' mechanic exist at the moment? I finally started playing this, and the first scavenger I ever added to our camp is a huge bitch and has gotten into fights with the other girls 3-4 times now. Kind of want to kick her out.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Kasonic posted:

Does any kind of 'bad apple' mechanic exist at the moment? I finally started playing this, and the first scavenger I ever added to our camp is a huge bitch and has gotten into fights with the other girls 3-4 times now. Kind of want to kick her out.

Generally different personalities rub each other in potentially worrying ways.

The more idealistic characters for instance will bump up against the gruffer Autocratish ones. If there's a mission to discuss their anger, then that's the cause of the problem, and it's only your own fault. I'm not entirely sure about all of it, but generally I've never really had it go too far. Then again I always run over and talk them down as soon as possible. Never had an actual fight break out with lethal weaponry being used.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

PureRok posted:

I think the biggest problem with the game is that you aren't your own survivor. You're some sort of omnipresent angel possessing these survivors to help them live. Or something.

Basically, it makes it hard to connect with the characters if they're all basically you.

To me that's precisely what makes the game interesting as a survival experience. No magical protagonist who somehow (and very predictably) beats the odds every time. It's the story of an evolving party, where characters come and go; where no one is completely safe and where anyone--no matter how nice, competent, unresolved, etc.--can meet an inglorious end at any moment. It's exactly the sort of narrative Kirkman always used to prattle on about in the earlier days of The Walking Dead.

I can't loving wait for the DLC so I don't have to kill off half a dozen characters to get a truly random-ish party. Come on devs. :/

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

About an hour ago the developers of State of Decay finished streaming some gameplay of the Breakdown DLC - and they were playing on PC with mouse and keyboard, so I'm guessing the release isn't far away.

http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios/b/475279112

edit: They said that the game is coming out of Early Access on November 5th with full keyboard and mouse support. Breakdown DLC will be coming out "extremely soon" simultaneously on Xbox and PC.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 31, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I feel like I've missed what the Breakdown dlc has in it.

Can somebody give me a run down?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

The quick version: You start as a random survivor and Lily, and you play SoD except without NPCs or story missions, and can find and repair an RV that will allow you move to "another town", i.e. reboot the map on a higher difficulty level where cars are rarer, zombies tougher, freaks more common, and resources harder to find. The developers consider the highest difficulty (10) unplayable; those streams appear to show like 9 in 10 zombies being runners.

edit: vvv I get you, but keep in mind you're going to have to fully clean out the entire map half a dozen times before the difficulty starts to get crazy. Love this game but I don't know if I can stomach that much of it; hopefully there's an easy way to skip to difficulty 2 or 3 on the PC version.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 1, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kasonic posted:

The quick version: You start as a random survivor and Lily, and you play SoD except without NPCs or story missions, and can find and repair an RV that will allow you move to "another town", i.e. reboot the map on a higher difficulty level where cars are rarer, zombies tougher, freaks more common, and resources harder to find. The developers consider the highest difficulty (10) unplayable; those streams appear to show like 9 in 10 zombies being runners.

I'm looking forward to an "endless" mod that caps the difficulty rise at something playable. Hopefully that's easy enough to do.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Kasonic posted:

edit: vvv I get you, but keep in mind you're going to have to fully clean out the entire map half a dozen times before the difficulty starts to get crazy. Love this game but I don't know if I can stomach that much of it; hopefully there's an easy way to skip to difficulty 2 or 3 on the PC version.

You don't have to clean out the map. As soon as your RV is working (which is harder to do every time you start a new map) you can leave and start the game at a higher difficulty. I think that the guy said during the stream that you can finish the first difficulty level in 20 minutes if you're in a hurry.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ive been lurking this thread for a while, and with the added m+kb support and dlc, I think Ill pick it up off steam after work today. What are some things I should know before I start my first run through? Not spoilery stuff, just like game mechanics or logisitical tips. Anything important I should do/avoid doing at the start?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Ive been lurking this thread for a while, and with the added m+kb support and dlc, I think Ill pick it up off steam after work today. What are some things I should know before I start my first run through? Not spoilery stuff, just like game mechanics or logisitical tips. Anything important I should do/avoid doing at the start?

Don't set up Outposts based on materials found, set them up to protect the roads in to your home base. If you've got all major roads covered, you can eventually just have them constantly trapped, which means no Hordes near your house/potentially in your section of the city. With that said, try to put Outposts in places that have decent material gain, just so that they also cover the roads.

After you've set up an Outpost, you can remove all the supplies from the location and clean it dry. They'll keep giving you the same amount of resources anyways.

Survivors that have Powerhouse/Flexible ( ? whatever Ed has ) are all you need to care about. If they don't have one of those two traits, leveling them up is a bit pointless, as they won't be up to par with characters with those skills. Marcus and Ed have these two skills, Maya has neither. If you want an easier time of things, stick with Marcus/Ed.

The length of the game is entirely dependent on how you want to play it. You could extend the games life over quite some time by base hopping as the game intends ( going from slightly larger place, to slightly larger place ), or you could end all of that by just gathering up all the materials in the starter town and moving straight to Snyder. The Warehouse district is really easy to lockdown with Outposts, and you get enough building spots you can build pretty much everything. Of course if you do this, the only thing left is to blow through the story. The game gets a bit repetitive the longer you play it, so if that's a problem for you, Snyder might be a better start.

You don't actually need to do side quests at all. You only lose a little bit of respect for not doing them, but you get so much respect for bringing in materials/doing main quests/doing the side quests you want that it's irrelevant. Basically, the way they are set up, the survivor in question will wait for you to show up, then set off to kill the special/clear a building/help people. If you never show, they'll attempt it themselves. In most cases they can handle it themselves, especially since their level/gear come in to account. In the case of missing persons they get a 15% chance to find their way home, with another 15% per outpost you have. The game throws more sidequests at you then you can physically manage, so just focus on the important stuff to you, and don't sweat them.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Ed has Reflexes, It's pretty useful for the spin kick at lvl 4 and the leapfrog at 6-7. Never could get the instant counter to work. Maya does have her uses though spec'ced for firearms and she does gain wits pretty fast. Not quite as handy as Marcus and Ed in hand to hand though. I'm not fond in powerhouse with the lvl 4 skill, liked Pro-wrestling more for the insta-kill factor. Never tried the two for one kill, seemed too situational.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Im really digging this game so far but I'm getting the feeling that what I really want is that DlC they're working on. Any word on price for the DLC and if it's stand alone?

Aside from pure design choice things like the story or whatever the only big complaint I have right now is that I didn't like shooting people in the head with a gamepad in dead rising and I don't like it any more in State of Decay. But if they improve the mouse controls that'll sort itself out.

As I said I'm liking the game but I'm already looking ahead to the game after a DLC and maybe some mods. 1st person, harder, generally plot-less marathon mode.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 3, 2013

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I almost completely gave up on free-aiming (except with Maya's bullet-time) and relied on "aim at zombie torso, tap Aim and auto-center on the head, repeat, which was pretty effective unless your zeds are climbing over stuff.

Also yeah, I tried to blow through the game as quick as possible so I can spend more time in Breakdown, as my biggest problem with the game is the lack of difficulty.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Still hate Alan, but god drat if his voice actor doesn't put down the most sincere, hateful utterance of "gently caress you" ever put to media.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Got two T-REXPRESSO mugs in the mail. :toot:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Got two T-REXPRESSO mugs in the mail. :toot:
Why can't we have a base there still?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's time to buy this game, been looking at it for a while but I don't have a 360 controller so this coming out of early access with keyboard and mouse support is what I've been waiting for.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

So is it just me, or are the mouse and keyboard controls absolutely terrible and almost unusable? Aiming with a gun is just awful. Also, I'm pretty sure that you can't change the controls in the options.

I think I'll stick to the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Attention Horse posted:

So is it just me, or are the mouse and keyboard controls absolutely terrible and almost unusable? Aiming with a gun is just awful. Also, I'm pretty sure that you can't change the controls in the options.

I think I'll stick to the controller.

It's not just you, but that's mostly because they're still in the middle of fully implementing mouse and keyboard. I believe they said it'd be ready by full release, so for now I would definitely stick to controller.

E: Oh, I see it has fully released. Well, I don't know then. Maybe it's completely done. Who knows. I haven't tried the mouse and keyboard yet because I was waiting for it to be finished.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 6, 2013

• Locked thread