Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I ran a reskinned dragon against my party a few sessions back - basically a Medium Black Dragon with "acid" changed to "poison" in order to make it a giant snake monster. My initial impression is that a black dragon is a pretty busy monster on paper. Between dragon breath, draconic grace, escalator, and a random ability, this dragon had a hell of a lot going on.

All inall, though, it's not as bad as all that to manage in practice. If you have a particularly complex dragon I do recommend highlighting the parts that truly separate it from a lesser monster, such as a blue dragon's counterspell ability, because that's the sort of thing that might get overlooked. As far as their difficulty, I took one of our party down without too much difficulty and severely threatened the rest of the party but they pulled through. The dragons in this game are definitely monsters that you feel like worked hard to defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

CaptCommy posted:

Using the setting in book, with maybe some minor adjustments. You'll probably be the last spot for now, just so this doesn't get too insane, since we're now looking at potentially eight players. Doesn't bother me though, I've done big groups before. As above, email me to get in on the discussion.

Thanks, I'll email you this evening when I'm at my home computer.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Does anyone have any links on how to convert monsters from Pathfinder or 4 edition to 13th Age? I'm going to pre-order the Bestiary but I want to throw my players something uniqueish at them for a bit.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Undead Unicorn posted:

Does anyone have any links on how to convert monsters from Pathfinder or 4 edition to 13th Age? I'm going to pre-order the Bestiary but I want to throw my players something uniqueish at them for a bit.

So far I've just picked something of x level that looked kind of close to what I wanted, changed the name, and called it good.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

... Quick question. The character creation gives you some stats that you calculate via "add these three stats and get the median". Would I be correct that what they pretty much mean is to divide by three and round up? At least, that's what I got from the character creation example, and its how I've been doing it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kerzoro posted:

... Quick question. The character creation gives you some stats that you calculate via "add these three stats and get the median". Would I be correct that what they pretty much mean is to divide by three and round up? At least, that's what I got from the character creation example, and its how I've been doing it.

Nah, you literally arrange the three stats in order from smallest to largest and take the middle. No averaging.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
No. You look at the three stat bonuses, pick the one that lies in the middle, and use that. For example, look at calculating AC. It doesn't say "add these three stats and find the median." It says "find the middle value among your Con modifier, Dex modifier, and Wis modifier."

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Undead Unicorn posted:

What Pvt.Scott said is very applicable. If you want to take it a step further, pour over the DIY Monster tables found at the back of the monster section. It's not hard to convert monsters in this system. You can re-skin many of 4e's movement-based powers as having a monster pop-free, or engage a player as a result of their attack. You can safely convert things like Reflex, Will, or Fortitude saves as effects that trigger from "Natural roll above stat" or targeting MD/PD as seems applicable. Also, feel free to pick and choose applicable abilities from different monsters in the book as you like.

Completely ignore CR. Just make the monster an appropriate level for your party per the encounter building guidelines.

The most important thing is to simplify the monster significantly. Things like "Melee bite +24 (2d6+12), 2 claws +23 (1d8+8), 2 wings +18 (1d6+4), tail slap +18 (1d8+12)" may be well and good for Pathfinder, but 13th Age would prefer something more like "Vicious bite- +20 vs AC, 18 damage. Natural even hit, target takes 10 ongoing damage, save ends.", and giving the monster about half the attacks in general.

That being said, you'll probably find a lot of what you're looking for in the Bestiary. There's a lot of content there; I can't think of too many notable monsters off the top of my head that were completely overlooked.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kerzoro posted:

You're thinking of the Mean. As the others have said, the Median is the middle value. (The Mode is the most common value, and now you know literally everything they taught me in 7th grade math, what a waste of time that was)

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Thank you both for the advice, it's good to know just how easy it is to port monsters and stuff over.

I have another question. I like supporting my local game store, can I pre order the Bestiary from it and get the pdf? Or is that an online store thingie only?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So there's been an interesting discussion going on in the Next thread, part of which involves the 13th Age Fighter and Cleric. I'd love to get talked to about the Fighter, since I'm about to start running a campaign. No one is playing one, but it is underpowered compared to other classes? I've paid more attention to the non-class stuff so far since I'm going to be the GM.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah. It and the Paladin are pretty 'weak classes'. Admittedly balance is a lot better in this game then say 3.5 or most OGL games, but it's far from perfect and not as good as 4E.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Indeed it isn't. How might people go about fixing it?

Something else I've noticed is that, given the small number of talents each class gets at Adventurer tier, each one that picks a given talent will end up picking up its feats too, since they have nothing else to spend them on. Hopefully 13TW will fix that problem somewhat, but I can't help thinking that 13A ends up making classes more like cookie-cutters than 4E's detractors claim that 4E does.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Indeed it isn't. How might people go about fixing it?

There is a legitimately great homebrew Paladin somewhere on the Pelgrane forums right now. As for the fighter, I'm trying to write up a 'Knight' varaint based on 4e that is just designed to actually tank and punish enemies for tackling other characters or dish out damage.

Dec 26, 2012

I guess I missed the part how fighter (and apparently paladin, though I can definitely see that one) is notably worse than other similar classes. Can one of you break down how that works out?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Copied from the Next thread.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

First, 13th Age. In the game, a character’s Class gives them access to some core stats like HP and base defenses, class features that every member of the class gets, class talents that let you customize your character at first level, and then maybe something special like the fighter’s maneuvers or the cleric’s spellcasting. Let’s go one by one through these.

For base stats, it goes like this.

Fighter
Base HP: 8
Armor Class: 15
Physical Defense: 10
Mental Defense: 10
One Handed Weapon Die: 1d8
Recover Die: 1d10

Cleric
Base HP: 7
Armor Class: 14
Physical Defense: 11
Mental Defense: 11
One Handed Weapon Die: 1d6
Recover Die: 1d8

As you can see, the fighter has the better HP, AC, weapon die, and recovery die. However, the cleric has the better physical and mental defense. These differences are all rather minor. An enemy that hits the fighter on a 11 or higher needs only to roll a 10 to hit the cleric. That means that the cleric takes 10% more hits than the fighter, while the fighter is affected by 10% more PD and MD targeting attacks. The jump from d6 to d8 means an average of a total of +1 damage per die.

These are pretty marginal differences, but still significant. All else being equal, the fighter has an advantage over the cleric at this point. So you’d think that the class features, talents, and spells/maneuvers would balance the two out. Let’s have a look.

Let’s have a look. The Fighter has Threatening, while the Cleric has Heal. Threatening gives a penalty equal to your secondary stat to any enemy’s attempt to Disengage with you. It’s how the fighter stays sticky. What it means in this context is that when an enemy rolls to try and move out of melee, they have to roll a 13 or 14 instead of an 11 on their d20 to do so. Their chances drop from 50% to 40% or 35%. It’s not bad. Heal is the same leader mechanic from 4e. Twice per battle as a quick/minor action, you heal a huge chunk of someone’s HP. It’s better than threatening. Why? Because it always works. Healing is something you only apply when it’s needed, to shore up a weak spot. The amount of the healing is significant, more than half the fighter’s maximum HP. Threatening on the other hand doesn’t always work. With a 16 in your secondary stat, it works 15% of the time when an enemy disengages from you.

That is, 50% of the time they roll a 10 or lower and fail anyways. 35% of the time, they roll a 14 or higher and succeed. It’s only in that 12 to 14 range on the d20 that Threatening is actually doing anything. And an ability that works 15% of the time isn’t all that great, especially when the bestiary is already more tuned towards melee monsters who aren’t going to be very tempted to try and disengage with a fighter in the first place. Still, it’s not that big of a problem. Healing in battle is something you need, and that’s just the way they chose to implement it. But let’s put it in perspective. If you gave the Fighter a choice of two Features, Threatening or Second Wind--Twice per battle as a quick action, you can spend a recovery to heal yourself--which do you think most Fighters would choose? Cleric’s got a buffed version of their Heal from 4e, while the Fighter’s core sticky mechanic is a shadow of what it was in 4e.

Let’s move onto Talents.

Luckily, here we can have a side by side comparison. Two of the talents of the Fighter and Cleric are very similar. The Fighter’s Power Attack and the Cleric’s Strength Domain. Both have three feats, and when you’ve acquired all three, they read like this.

Power Attack
Once per battle before you roll an attack, you can declare you’re using Power Attack to deal additional damage with that attack roll. You deal 1d6 damage per level, even if the attack misses. Once per day, you can use Power Attack twice in the same battle.

Strength Domain
Once per battle when you hit with an attack, you can declare you are using the Strength Domain. You deal 1d8 damage per level. Once per day per day, you can use d20s instead of d8s. Also, bump your damage die with all weapon attacks from a d6 to a d8. Also, once per day you can have everyone’s crits deal triple instead of double damage.

Neither can be wasted on a miss. At level 10, the extra damage from power attack averages to 35 points, with the daily feature raising that to 70. To compare, the extra damage from the strength domain averages to 45, or 105 once per day. Over the course of a 4-battle adventuring day, Power Attack will contribute an extra 175 points of damage, while the cleric’s Strength Domain provides 240. Put another way, the Strength Domain gives you 37% more damage than Power Attack. And that’s before you factor in that it’s bumping the cleric’s weapon die to be the same size as the fighter’s or it’s ability to give the entire party extra powerful critical hits once per day.

The only advantage Power Attack has is that it works even when you miss. In theory, the cleric could get into a fight and miss with every attack, or every attack that does hit does enough base damage to kill the enemy. That doesn’t seem very likely. So yeah, Strength Domain > Power Attack. So far, the Cleric’s class features and talents are making it a more powerful martial warrior than the Fighter. That’s not good. Well, there’s still the last ingredient. Maneuvers and Spells. Spells might be good, but surely Maneuvers are good enough that a Fighter can reign supreme as the top dog of martial combat. Right? No.

Again, let’s look for a side by side comparison. Luckily, we have one, with the Combat Boon at-will spell and the Never Surrender maneuver.

Combat Boon is an At-will spell that let’s you make a basic attack. If the attack hits, a nearby ally gets to roll a save against an effect they’re suffering. Never Surrender is similar, but instead of triggering on a hit, it triggers on an natural even roll. Both have some feats. Never Surrender’s Epic Feat--and remember, you’ll only ever have 3 epic feats--is that the save you roll gets a +2 bonus. With Combat Boon, the Adventurer Feat is that when you crit with your attack, the save they make automatically succeeds. It’s Champion feat is that even if you miss with your attack, your ally still gets to save.

Wait, what? Combat Boon can be made to just ALWAYS work? That seems good. Hell, the fact that you can use Combat Boon on the round that someone, anyone in the party needs to make a save, can target any ally, is good. The fighter is stuck only being able to target himself, and only half the time. Again, say you’re building a fighter. Which of those would you rather take? The one that works all the time and can target everyone, or the one that works half the time and only targets yourself?

But wait, not finished yet. Combat Boon is a spell. A 3rd level spell. That means that every time you level up, not only is it doing more damage--all basic attacks scale in damage with level--it’s gaining utility. At level 5, your Combat Boon gives a +1 save bonus. At level 7--which is the level that Fighters finally get access to Never Surrender--you can target TWO allies instead of just one. At level 9, the save bonus increases again, to +2.

Again, our hypothetical warrior has the choice between the two. Which will they take, given the chance? Is there really any decision making going on here? The spell is better than the maneuver, and any argument otherwise is disingenuous or misguided.

But it’s not just the case of one spell being better than one maneuver. The problem is more fundamental than that.

A daily spell is a concrete increase in power. Generally, using a daily spell is always going to be a more powerful option for that turn than using something at-will. Managing that resource is the key strategy.

The same is not true of maneuvers. That’s because rather than a resource to be managed, maneuvers work as a random roll, where you always pick the best option. If you have two maneuvers that both trigger on a Natural Even hit and both are equally powerful, you haven’t increased in power, just versatility. After a point, Extra Maneuvers aren’t making you any more powerful.

And that’s really, really a problem when the maneuvers themselves are so lovely.

Take Deadly Assault. On an Even Hit, you can reroll any 1s when you roll for damage. If you roll a 1 again, you’re stuck though. If you’re a fighter using a big, meaty d10 weapon, using Deadly Assault boosts the average damage from a 5.5 to 5.95. More importantly, it just doesn’t do anything most of the time. For Deadly Assault to get off its rear end and actually do something, you first need to hit. Then, your hit needs to have been Even. Then, you need to roll a 1 on the damage. At level 1, the chances of that are simply 1 in 10. A special ability should not fail to do anything 90% of the time.

And that’s par for the course. Let’s look at another one. Defense Fighting. Evocative name, just like Deadly Assault. Surely that means that it makes you extra tough, right? Well, what does it do. It gives you a +2 bonus to AC till the end of your next turn. That’s...lovely. That’s really lovely.

In order for this one to work, first you need to actually be attacked. Then, you have to be attacked against your AC. And even then, that attack needs to fall into that sweet spot, that 10% range of “Because of this +2 bonus, that attack that would have hit, instead misses.” So again, 90% of the time, the ability does absolutely nothing.

Never Surrender, that really crappy version of a 3rd level spell? That’s a 7th level maneuver. Even the admittedly powerful 9th level maneuvers are, you know...9th level, at the very end of the game.

Back to the Cleric. Back to spells. Remember our hypothetical player who wants a super tough marital warrior? Well, let’s look at what they have for him. Hammer of Faith. That sounds promising. It’s only first level, so what does it do? Raises your damage die from d6-8 to d12. Well, that’s impressive. Oh wait. Unlike fighter maneuvers, which suck even if you pour epic feats into them, spells automatically scale with level. What does Hammer of Faith do at 9th level?

Still does the d12s. But now it’s only a Quick Action to cast it. Oh, and you deal half damage on a miss. Wow, that’s strong. That’s really loving strong. Oh, it also gives you a free reroll once per battle. That’s pretty strong too. And it also boosts your minimum damage based on the escalation die. That’s pretty meh, honestly.

But the main point is, the Cleric gets these Nice Things at no extra cost. Unlike DnD Next, spells automatically scale with level. At level 10, you have 1 7th level slot and 8 9th level ones.

Spellcasters in 13th Age get both more spells per day as they level up AND every spell they do have increases dramatically in power. Meanwhile, the Fighter is stuck with a tiny list of maneuvers that they need to swap out as they level up, to end up with features that just aren’t that exciting or good.

In 13th Age, the Cleric makes a better warrior than the Fighter. The cleric can reliably deal more damage, take more punishment, and give more support to the party than the Fighter. That starts at level 1, and it gets worse with every level after that.

One more thing before going on to Next. Ritual Casting. Ritual Casting is an extra thing that every cleric gets. It lets them cast any of their spells as a Ritual instead of its normal combat version. The example effects are putting a group of guards to sleep, destroying a magical artifact, blasting a tower to smithereens, etc. The guidelines are such that you can use the spells to do...well, whatever the hell you want, really. You can cast Spirits of the Righteous to summon up a ghost for advice. Shield of Faith to erect a magical shield around the church to ward off the zombie invasion. Cure Wounds to heal the incurable disease whatshisface is suffering from. Sure, a ritual might need some elaborate preparation and work to set up...but that just means that the ritual user gets to be in the spotlight for that much longer. And while every magic user has access to these extremely powerful effects that hand them tons of narrative control, others--fighter included--have to rely only on their mundane backgrounds, their non-mechanical OUTs, and the stupid Icons.

Dec 26, 2012

I saw it, yes. I agree with part of his general conclusion (the normal casters are still very much strong, their daily options are especially fantastic compared to the mundanes') but not his reasons (not gonna quote-snipe that whole thing but strength domain isn't all that and a bag of chips because clerics are usually better off casting one of those big fuckoff spells he mentions later, threatening and heal aren't really trying to do the same thing) and those don't really tell me anything about it as a whole, just compared to the admittedly-strong cleric and only very specific cherry-picked options. I'm asking for a similar analysis between more comparable classes, because fighter seems to be singled out as weak even among those.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
One possible fix I could see for the Fighter would be to make it more sticky. It already has Threatening, but Threatening is a bit anemic compared to 4e's main defender mechanic. One way to make it more punishing on enemies trying to disengage from the Fighter would be to have the Fighter deal Constitution or Dexterity modifier damage on the enemy even if they managed to disengage, which combined with the Adventurer feat would turn trying to disengage from the Fighter into a situation where the enemy is hosed either way if they try to disengage from the Fighter.

On top of that I'd just take a leaf from 4e and allow the Fighter to stop enemy movement with opportunity attacks. Enemies always have the option of provoking opportunity attacks from the Fighter without having to make a disengage check, and to counteract that I'd give the Fighter's opportunity attacks a bit more punch. Something as simple as getting to add the better of your Constitution or Dexterity modifier on opportunity attacks provoked by enemy movement and if the attack hits the enemy stops in their tracks and is now engaged with you.

However, this only goes so far into fixing the disparity between Fighters and casters: I've yet to play the game, but on paper it seems that while it's not quite as bad as in 3.5 or Pathfinder, Fighters and Paladins are still playing a completely different game from Wizards and Clerics in 13th Age. The real problem isn't just the fact that the Fighter may or may not be as good in combat as Wizards and Clerics, it's also the fact that outside of combat Fighters don't have as many possible venues of interaction as spellcasters. Outside of combat, the rules only have backgrounds and icons by way of support for the Fighter, whereas Wizards have backgrounds, icons, utility spells, cantrips, ritual magic and what-have-you. What the Fighter and Paladin could definitely use is more out-of-combat support.

I understand why the designers of the game went for a mix of 3.5/4e elements for spellcasters, because they obviously love both of those games and wanted to mix the best of both worlds for that part of the system, but the non-spellcasting classes could definitely use more in the way of support outside of combat.

EDIT: I'd look at the Rogue's Thievery as a starting point for giving Fighters something more outside of combat. This is a bit silly from here on, but all Fighters get a free background at +5 called Swole, which would be relevant to feats and demonstrations of strength, knowledge of where to best punch things, as well as impressing people by flexing your muscles and being the baddest motherfucker around. Give it feat support to allow for more out-there uses of Swole, all the way until Epic where you could use Swole to break the laws of physics (and I mean that in the physical sense: you grab the laws of physics in a headlock and break their neck), wrestle with abstract concepts (this is straight from Norse legend: in one of the Norse sagas Thor actually physically wrestles with Old Age) and be able to punch people in the face with a look.

I know it's terribly silly, but something like that by way of out of combat interaction for Fighters would give them a bit of the free-wheeling narrative power that spellcasters currently have a monopoly on.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 18, 2013

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Might as well post this here, but a while back I was in a 13th Age game and had the crazy urge to go through, analyze each class, and balance them all in one frantic day.

The Fighter was the most work, because I went with rewriting all of the flexible attacks, including the way they worked, making some of them 1/battle and having only 2 triggers, but also making sure that each one was competitive with the stuff other classes were getting at the same level.

Paladin is really close to the Cleric, so it wasn't that hard. Just give the Paladin 4 more talents and a few extra uses of smite.

Rogue needed a rewrite of the Momentum mechanic so that it didn't get worse the higher in level you went.

For the Ranger, I went with the 5e style and changed Favored Enemy into the "I either hunt lots of little dudes or really big monsters", ie new Monster Hunter and Bounty Hunter talents. Then, made it so you can pick two of the double and hunter talents or an animal companion, and then two extra normal talents.

The rest of the classes were all surprisingly well balanced when using the Cleric as a baseline.

The whole thing is here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lJ4XVKdGDv8dhrssM_7V5niO8JxCpvm-BeSsFejitXA/edit

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

How obvious is the power differential to new players?

I've run 4e and 3e games before as a DM with a variety of skill sets, but never with a totally new group - I've got a fighter and a barbarian joining soon to go with my sorc, rouge and cleric, and I'm a little worried about the power differential being obvious.

My simple change to the barbarian was to add status effects to the attacks made while 'roid raging, similar to the sorc's random extras when gathering power. Consequently, I've added a random table giving dazed, ongoing, weakened and stuck at various levels on a d12. It doesn't seem like it will magically become overpowered, but the barbarian just seems a little too simple and non-interactive.

Anyway, I should probably say something about how my boltstrike game actually went:

the characters:

A wandering genius alchemist (reskinned cleric) who was cast out of the strict guild for experimenting and seducing the daughter of the chief alchemist (I had no idea intra-guild politics were going to be a big thing in the campaign, but they apparently are), with backgrounds in Doctoring (+2), Begging (+1) and McGyvering (+5)

Sorceror hailing from a wild and distant tribe who has the ability to sense leylines. Is very much the raised-by-wolves/Space Wolf stereotype, but seems like it could be fun. Backgrounds in Animal Empathy (+4) and Wiry Atheleticism (+4).

The same character this player always plays - a "sexy" half gnome half halfling ("The only quarterling on the planet) rogue who is quick with her daggers and quicker with her foul mouth. Backgrounds in Thievery (+4), smoothtalking (+2) and "failed burlesque dancer" as a negative background (player's idea) at -4.

They're recruited to check out an imbalance of magical energy from one of the Empire's warding towers to the south of Axis, in a fairly "fetch quest" manner. Rolling relationships, there's two sixes with the High Druid and a five with the prince of shadows. I'm still a little unsure as to the best ways to use 6's - fives I like to take control of the story a little bit by exchanging boon for request, or giving short term benefit to long term gain, but in the case of 6's, I'm a little free with it - let the players cash them in for anything they can convince me of.

After a little bit of an introduction session as they amble down the road on, variously, a horse, a cart and a medium sized dog, they spot a tinker's caravan rushing towards them. A fight immediately breaks out between rogue and alchemist over who gets the various pots, pans and alembics that leads to daggers drawn and an ambush by goblins allied with the Diabolist.

I think I've been fairly sneaky in getting them in trouble in their first fight, until the sorceror punches his burning hands into a mook and a shaman, crits on both, piles of ash remain.

Arriving at boltstrike in a timely fashion to find it's a sanctuary of the high druid, loosely allied with the empire in a fight of convenience against the nearby hellhole, but the leylines forming the wards are flailing loosely around the tower - somethings going on!

With that awesome concept in place, the players proceed to ignore it completely. A 6 with the high druid is used to retroactively make Boltstrike a "magical herb garden for worship of nature itself". Another 6 is used to convince the high druid to convince the commander of the tower (this is done with calling a boon to shape trees into the words "CALL MEETING") to convene a meeting so that the blessing of nature may be passed onto the assembled garrison of wood elves. As a three, they spend the rest of the session taking the piss out of elves and scouring the tower for rare herbs to make into valuable potions. A combination of light show from the sorceror, an extremely un-sexy "the elves are horrified, but they can't look away!" from the rogue and a mcgyvered "flying distraction contraption" allow the amassing of a veritable horde of herbs and mosses, a couple of purloined magic items and a "political prisoner" of the high druid being stacked onto a cart and ridden off into the distance.

After reminding them of obligations from the high druid and the empire, the universal response is "gently caress elves, let's go deal with this hellhole".

And thus was the end of the Boltstrike pillar debacle. The tower was destroyed off camera while they were kicking in the door of a hellhole and getting shouted at by a demon matriarch for lacking basic courtesy - "This may be a hole into the demon underworld of hell itself, but we still knock, you rude bastards!"

edit: added my favorite bit which I'd forgotten

lenoon fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 18, 2013

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I think my problem with the barbarian is that it's simple to a fault. It's boring. There are only two tactical choices. "Who do I attacks" and "Should I start raging." And if they're either already raging or already used their daily rage, their only thing is "Who should I attack?" At least rangers get things like multiple attacks and the ability to take spells from other spell casting classes.

EDIT: It also doesn't have the defenses or HP to tank a big hit like you'd think a roid raging class might.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
One extra bit of stickiness that gets overlooked is the general intercept rule. If you move past someone not engaged, they have the option to engage you and end your movement (p. 164). I don't think it's quite enough to really get the feel of the 4e fighter, but it does help any of the beefy classes tank a bit more.

Edit: One thing I think worth mentioning is that while the fighter certainly needs a small boost, it's not super obvious in play. Both fighters I've had in my games have enjoyed their play as much as anyone else. But I'm also super generous with my background applicability to even out narrative control some.

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 18, 2013

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Thanks for the replies! ... Looks like I have some editing to do for my defenses.

Dec 26, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

One extra bit of stickiness that gets overlooked is the general intercept rule. If you move past someone not engaged, they have the option to engage you and end your movement (p. 164). I don't think it's quite enough to really get the feel of the 4e fighter, but it does help any of the beefy classes tank a bit more.

Edit: One thing I think worth mentioning is that while the fighter certainly needs a small boost, it's not super obvious in play. Both fighters I've had in my games have enjoyed their play as much as anyone else. But I'm also super generous with my background applicability to even out narrative control some.

It does help. Part of the reason I bring this up is that I'm playing one in one game and running a party that has one in another, and neither feel particularly underpowered or anything - I guess that's partially a function of how "worse" is a very, very relative thing compared to something like 3.5 and partially that quadratic wizardry (more and better dailies, etc) will kick in much harder at later levels.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

My current barbarian house rules are to bump its damage die one size (two handers absolutely should be a d12) and increase its base hp (before multiplication) a few points. I like them being easy to hit sacks of HP.

Still working out some ideas on the complexity side of things, but it's not terrible as is. My fights tend to go so fast that the barbarian player doesn't seem to mind. Tries to find a cool stunt or two to mix in and it works out alright. Would love some good talents to increase options though.

Dec 26, 2012

I was under the impression that the barbarian was already effective, if a tad boring? I mean I'm fairly sure the idea was to keep them swingy with poo poo like Unstoppable and Barbarian Cleave keeping you afloat instead of having a giant HP buffer, and they're not even that bad on the max HP front anyway. Some talents that have a bit more to them would be appreciated though.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

01011001 posted:

I was under the impression that the barbarian was already effective, if a tad boring? I mean I'm fairly sure the idea was to keep them swingy with poo poo like Unstoppable and Barbarian Cleave keeping you afloat instead of having a giant HP buffer, and they're not even that bad on the max HP front anyway. Some talents that have a bit more to them would be appreciated though.

Oh it's totally effective, my player was just sad his barb didn't get a d12 anymore compared to the 4e version, and it's not a huge power swing. I should have clarified my house rules are typically campaign specific as I really like make small adjustments as a season to taste kind of thing. It's not at all a needed fix

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
The Fighter occupies an unfortunate bit of conceptual territory in that it is the "I hit dudez with a sword" class. Well guess what? So do a lot of other people and those who don't are talking to gods or telling physics to sit down and shut up. 4E had the advantage of a tactical game for the Fighter to dominate, but 13th Age doesn't. That puts it in a very small box indeed. While I have yet to have a Fighter player be bored with the class, I've thought about my own workarounds as well. One would be to merge the Fighter with the similarly-m'eh (at least to me) Ranger to maximize the interesting options in one class. It might also be worth allowing a Fighter to execute multiple flexible attacks off a single roll.

RyvenCedrylle fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 18, 2013

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

The thing about the fighter is that even though he's not boring to play, he doesn't really DO much. Flexible Attacks like Deadly Assault or Brace For It will fail to do anything 90% or more of the time, but when you use them, you're saying "I use Deadly Assault!" and it FEELS like you're doing something. It's the illusion of competence.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I usually find myself wondering why the Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, and Paladin aren't all just rolled up into one big pile of awesome poo poo as a single class and then I remember why. D&D.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Bring back, "Man at Arms," huh. I can get behind that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

S.J. posted:

I usually find myself wondering why the Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, and Paladin aren't all just rolled up into one big pile of awesome poo poo as a single class and then I remember why. D&D.

Well, the class would be a little too broad to cover ranged, melee, pet, sneaky stabby and tank. Maybe two classes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Might as well post this here, but a while back I was in a 13th Age game and had the crazy urge to go through, analyze each class, and balance them all in one frantic day.

The Fighter was the most work, because I went with rewriting all of the flexible attacks, including the way they worked, making some of them 1/battle and having only 2 triggers, but also making sure that each one was competitive with the stuff other classes were getting at the same level.

Paladin is really close to the Cleric, so it wasn't that hard. Just give the Paladin 4 more talents and a few extra uses of smite.

Rogue needed a rewrite of the Momentum mechanic so that it didn't get worse the higher in level you went.

For the Ranger, I went with the 5e style and changed Favored Enemy into the "I either hunt lots of little dudes or really big monsters", ie new Monster Hunter and Bounty Hunter talents. Then, made it so you can pick two of the double and hunter talents or an animal companion, and then two extra normal talents.

The rest of the classes were all surprisingly well balanced when using the Cleric as a baseline.

The whole thing is here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lJ4XVKdGDv8dhrssM_7V5niO8JxCpvm-BeSsFejitXA/edit

Huh, I really enjoyed reading through this. It looks like the other classes honestly weren't that far off in terms of power level, generally speaking, and it's nice to see all this information presented in one place fairly succinctly. I think I might use some of this later on if my campaign takes off.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, the class would be a little too broad to cover ranged, melee, pet, sneaky stabby and tank. Maybe two classes.

That would be fine. Although you could easily make an argument for any of those class concepts to be paired with the other. However, I still really hate the Paladin as a concept when a Cleric exists side by side with it. I feel like the Paladin concept is too easily rolled into the Cleric, and then that leaves you with Fighter/Ranger/Rogue which I think are much easier concepts to put into a single class.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 18, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

The whole thing is here.

Wait how long ago did you write this? That isn't what strong recovery or strength domain do and you used that for the basis of a lot of your comparisons.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Strong Recovery lets you reroll a few dice when you use Recoveries, Strength Domain lets you upgrade your damage die one size and boost crits. They aren't 1:1 things, but approximations.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

Huh, I really enjoyed reading through this. It looks like the other classes honestly weren't that far off in terms of power level, generally speaking

Yeah, once again alot more balanced then 3.5, but not as balanced or tactical as 4E. It looks pretty easy to fix a lot of the classes though.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Undead Unicorn posted:

Yeah, once again alot more balanced then 3.5, but not as balanced or tactical as 4E. It looks pretty easy to fix a lot of the classes though.

Disagree. Lots more balanced than 4e. Because 4e goes with character optimization as a minigame. The gap between first timer building his fighter out of the player's hand book and one using a polearm momentum or whatever bullshit build is huge, bigger than the gap between fighter and cleric.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Strong Recovery lets you reroll a few dice when you use Recoveries, Strength Domain lets you upgrade your damage die one size and boost crits. They aren't 1:1 things, but approximations.

Ah, I missed the top of line of strength domain.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

A guy on the Google+ group made his own character sheet, and he included some ability sheets that I thought were really nifty, but his had a few minor issues (fuzzy text, needed a few more features). I went ahead and spent the afternoon teaching myself Scribus and whipped these up. Let me know if anything needs modified. I'm considering doing a 6-ability per page version for people who want more room to write and don't mind as many pieces of paper.

Class Features & Talents
Flexible Attacks
Powers & Spells

Edit: Just out of curiosity, and because I don't have everything memorized, is there any need for having a spot to circle Close Quarters on sheets that aren't the Powers & Spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Disagree. Lots more balanced than 4e. Because 4e goes with character optimization as a minigame. The gap between first timer building his fighter out of the player's hand book and one using a polearm momentum or whatever bullshit build is huge, bigger than the gap between fighter and cleric.

Yeah, no matter how off the Strength domain/Power attack comparison is (and strength is a bit on the ridiculous side), it's really, really hard to break this game with char-op. Polearm bullshit, frost cheese, none of that exists in 13th age that I've been able to find.

• Locked thread