Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

El Hefe posted:

Hahaha there's this guy who because I have a female character thinks I'm a woman and he keeps sending me messages and poo poo, he even flat out asked me if I was a woman yesterday, oh internet never change.

I hope you said that you were, because our video game characters are perfect replicas of ourselves. Why yes I am a tiny, skinnier Snoop Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Robawesome posted:

Seriously? It's better that you should be penalized with a $12,500 fee when somebody else blows up your car? :psyduck:

My answer is take the fee out and all punishments from Free Roam caused by actions of players (why is there even a kickvote option?) but that won't happen because Rockstar are building around their cash cards. Nobody should be punished, really.

For example, I drove to LSC the other day and some guy kills me in my car then starts trashing it with a shotgun. It blows up, I pay the premium, but I think: Eh, it's GTA that's cool I killed him a few times anyway and bountied his rear end. But since I just have more options and inclination to fight others in free roam (who also by and large like to do this as well) I should be punished for that and not people who randomly do it once or twice because that's just cool compared to what I do?

It's just so contradictory and I'm just baffled that there's not enough attention on it considering this is GTA, the point is crime, and it's already poorly defined in its workings and in practice. The punishment of being unable to play with friends because you wanted to have a rampage with or against others in a game that is nothing but encouraging is just bizarre; Rockstar's middle-finger in the form of a permanent dunce cap for something self-defense might have contributed to notwithstanding. Not even getting into all of the accidental bad sport labelings that can happen as a result of mission weirdness (costing people money anyway) or Rockstar changing things without telling anybody (Survival).

Just remove the bad sport thing over cars and make any car destroyed by players a free insurance call. It makes the most sense.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 18, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cliche posted:

Maybe this isn't new with 1.04 and I've just avoided it so far, but I just accidentally blew up a personal vehicle while trying to collect a bounty and got charged $12,500. It was capped much lower than this beforehand, right?
How much cash did you have on-hand? The thing was that you weren't paying insurance if you had all your money in the bank, it only took it out of pocket.. Not sure if that was a glitch or not. I would hope it was a glitch, tbh, because I can think of a few ways to gently caress up pubby cars and make them scream.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Athanatos posted:

Be in the car when the mission ends. If you have someone else turn it in, you can be far away and not be forced out of your car unless it's a mission delivery car.

I'm always in the car when the mission ends. Only one did I ever see it after the mission, it was parked at the house just next door (I assume it was the car, it wasn't locked). I'll have to check some more around that neighborhood.

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

Robawesome posted:

Great post. I think having these missions paying out $20,000+ was maybe a mistake if they intended for the apartments and supercars to be something you worked long and hard for. The ability to replay and grind for money left the impression that you could unlock everything in a matter of hours and now that they are scaling things down people are pissed that it might actually take some time to earn things.

This really speaks volumes about the community. Stupid Rockstar actually thinks we're going to play the game!
The thing is, we do want to play the game. The reason most of us fell in love with GTA games is because they're sandboxes. They give us a big world and we decide how we want to play in it. Yesterday I spend 50k loving around with friends in a public match, putting bounties on people, buying choppers, attaching ignition bombs to nice cars and planting them as traps, getting my cars impounded/destroyed, and getting killed countless times... and it was the most fun I've had yet in GTAO. But if I have to spend a few hours grinding just to spend a few hours doing what I actually want to do, the end result is that I just won't play; I suspect that this is the case for a lot of people. This is a game, not a chore.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

How much cash did you have on-hand? The thing was that you weren't paying insurance if you had all your money in the bank, it only took it out of pocket.. Not sure if that was a glitch or not. I would hope it was a glitch, tbh, because I can think of a few ways to gently caress up pubby cars and make them scream.
One way to get around paying insurance and not get Bad Sport points is to ram their car into water.
Does dropping their car into water from a Cargobob avoid insurance/Bad Sports?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

While I agree that removing all penalties might be a solution for some people, I think a penalty for dying is a necessity. As it is now you gently caress with a pubbie for a while and end up costing him a few thousand in hospital bills and they back away. With no penalties at all Free Roam just becomes a bunch of people killing each other over and over with no repercussions at all. The money at stake creates a certain cost to playing the game. I don't want to just drive over the same person or shoot the same person over and over for no loss or gain.

noxiousg posted:

The thing is, we do want to play the game. The reason most of us fell in love with GTA games is because they're sandboxes. They give us a big world and we decide how we want to play in it. Yesterday I spend 50k loving around with friends in a public match, putting bounties on people, buying choppers, attaching ignition bombs to nice cars and planting them as traps, getting my cars impounded/destroyed, and getting killed countless times... and it was the most fun I've had yet in GTAO. But if I have to spend a few hours grinding just to spend a few hours doing what I actually want to do, the end result is that I just won't play; I suspect that this is the case for a lot of people. This is a game, not a chore.

50K is 2 4 runs of Base Invaders, I can do that in about 20 minutes. You'd have to be doing the lowest-paying missions only for it to take "hours" to earn that money.

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 18, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Croccers posted:

One way to get around paying insurance and not get Bad Sport points is to ram their car into water.
Does dropping their car into water from a Cargobob avoid insurance/Bad Sports?
Also pouring gas all over their poo poo and then backfiring your car onto the fuel as you drive away.

One way to gently caress with people is to pour gas all over YOUR car, and then drive into a firefight. If a bullet hits a gas trail, it counts as that person blowing everything up..

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Robawesome posted:

With no penalties at all Free Roam just becomes a bunch of people killing each other over and over with no repercussions at all.

I honestly don't see the problem with this.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
So I just tested on multiple missions and every mission I hosted, I got full payout, even if I'd already completed them. Everyone else in the mission got half the pay. When I joined a mission I had never done, I got half payout while the host got full. So it's not exactly half payouts for every mission. It's only for everyone who isn't the host
(On PS3)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Robawesome posted:

50K is 2 4 runs of Base Invaders, I can do that in about 20 minutes. You'd have to be doing the lowest-paying missions only for it to take "hours" to earn that money.
You know, if you get Base Invaders four times in a row.

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

Robawesome posted:

While I agree that removing all penalties might be a solution for some people, I think a penalty for dying is a necessity. As it is now you gently caress with a pubbie for a while and end up costing him a few thousand in hospital bills and they back away. With no penalties at all Free Roam just becomes a bunch of people killing each other over and over with no repercussions at all. The money at stake creates a certain cost to playing the game. I don't want to just drive over the same person or shoot the same person over and over for no loss or gain.

It doesn't really matter how long it takes, the pertinent facts are that 1) the time it takes just doubled and 2) it's not fun. The point of the game is to have fun. Grinding base invaders over and over isn't fun.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Croccers posted:

You know, if you get Base Invaders four times in a row.

I know it isn't happening for everybody but Base Invaders is the only Ron mission I completed when he called with it and now it's literally the only one he offers me. I got Base Invaders probably 30 times in a row yesterday. Martin gives me MuwC maybe 1/5 times but Base Invaders is 100%

Earwicker posted:

I honestly don't see the problem with this.

Not everybody will, but I want there to be some sort of stakes

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 18, 2013

cliche
Aug 12, 2010

Robawesome posted:

It was capped at whatever you had on hand in cash. $12,500 was the full premium.

Yeah, I think this is what happened.

Does the jerry can-backfire trick need to be with a backfire from your own car? Some pubbie was being a dick, so I doused his chromed Hotknife in petrol when he wasn't looking and took cover behind it, hoping he would ignite it with his gunfire. Instead he killed me, got in and blew himself up when his car inevitably backfired.

I got hit with the premium for that (and a final bad sport warning...). Totally worth it.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

coyo7e posted:

Also pouring gas all over their poo poo and then backfiring your car onto the fuel as you drive away.

One way to gently caress with people is to pour gas all over YOUR car, and then drive into a firefight.

:aaaaa:

Doing this all day every day once I get a fancy car.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
My opinion is that the death penalty, like most of the monetary expenses in online, exists to bleed money constantly from the player so they have to keep paying or playing to make more. You're supposed to get hooked and play 24/7. They are pretty diligent at removing any and all methods players are using to try and deviate from the timesink MMO business plan they want.

I also think they're trying to push people into doing the instanced competitive modes more often because most lobbies are "do mission, leave for free roam, wait for somebody to get the invite again." Nobody wants to play deathmatches or parachuting. You're supposed to get together and then play a bunch of stuff which is why there's the voting mechanics and playlists.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

BlueDestiny posted:

:aaaaa:

Doing this all day every day once I get a fancy car.

Just make any car candy pink and watch the pubbies chase after you and bombard you with bullets.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You're supposed to get together and then play a bunch of stuff which is why there's the voting mechanics and playlists.

The only fun activities really are Top Fun, Survival and some of the races. I personally enjoy parachuting, but when I was playing with a group yesterday and I asked why nobody was voting for parachuting with me I was met with the answer "Because the payout isn't worth it".

People who play online just want to make money and buy stuff.

Personally, and I know this isn't going to get a lot of love, I think that the economy could do with being nuked because it's just so hosed up with all the glitches that have been happening. It really needs a fresh start in order for Rockstar to do what they're trying to do.

FallinInTheBlak fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 18, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I think there's a bug with Jerry Cans. Even though I had full sometimes my character would just drop it whenever I tried to pour some and I would not have it anymore. This happened on missions mainly.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

My opinion is that the death penalty, like most of the monetary expenses in online, exists to bleed money constantly from the player so they have to keep paying or playing to make more. You're supposed to get hooked and play 24/7. They are pretty diligent at removing any and all methods players are using to try and deviate from the timesink MMO business plan they want.

I also think they're trying to push people into doing the instanced competitive modes more often because most lobbies are "do mission, leave for free roam, wait for somebody to get the invite again." Nobody wants to play deathmatches or parachuting. You're supposed to get together and then play a bunch of stuff which is why there's the voting mechanics and playlists.

This is the point I was going to make about Rockstar saying they want people to play these. There are hundreds of different areas (but neither really change up the core function of these mods) and yet only races are the ones that payout worth a drat. Parachuting is laughable and I've heard only bits about Deathmatch but apparently only the MVP will get a sizable sum. Not clear on Last Team Standing however.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Lunethex posted:

My answer is take the fee out and all punishments from Free Roam caused by actions of players (why is there even a kickvote option?) but that won't happen because Rockstar are building around their cash cards. Nobody should be punished, really.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Nobody wants to play deathmatches or parachuting.

You guys see the irony here, right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lunethex posted:

for playing GTA the way it was meant to be.

I think you need to get over this. It's quite clear the way GTAO is meant to be is not what you keep saying. Rockstar has been ludicrously clear about the direction they're taking it with each change and patch. They're very clear about how it should be played.

if you don't like that direction, fine, but quit pretending you're somehow the arbiter of "should" compared to Rockstar, creators of GTA:O.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Since they lowered how much you can lose when you die in free mode does that also count for the money that is in their pocket? Or can you still lose all the money you are holding?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Mr Cynicism posted:

Since they lowered how much you can lose when you die in free mode does that also count for the money that is in their pocket? Or can you still lose all the money you are holding?

You never lost all the money you were holding. Maybe it isn't working as intended but if you are holding less than $5000 you drop $100 and if you're holding more you drop $1000.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Robawesome posted:

You guys see the irony here, right?

I don't get it.

Parachuting is fun like, the first couple times you do it and deathmatch is absolutely no fun most of the time.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

coyo7e posted:

One way to gently caress with people is to pour gas all over YOUR car, and then drive into a firefight. If a bullet hits a gas trail, it counts as that person blowing everything up..

I know what I'm doing tonight

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I swear I've killed people when we enter free mode after a mission and they have dropped more than 1000 bucks.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I don't get it.

Parachuting is fun like, the first couple times you do it and deathmatch is absolutely no fun most of the time.

Parachuting is fun. The irony is in a bunch of people complaining about penalties in Free Mode but never wanting to play the penalty-less Deathmatches. No, instead the solution is to turn Free Mode into a perpetual Deathmatch :rolleyes:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
El Hefe and I are testing it, doesn't look like they've nerfed 2 player RP grinding on Criminal Records.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Should be unlocked already. It was an option for me during character creation.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, still says "not available" though. I just wanna rep my crew, damnit!
Completely unrelated, I haven't lost any cars or money, just my sweet 'hawk that I can't get back for a couple levels. My immersion!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

NattyBo posted:

El Hefe and I are testing it, doesn't look like they've nerfed RP on Criminal Records.

Can confirm they haven't on 360.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

VarXX posted:

So I just tested on multiple missions and every mission I hosted, I got full payout, even if I'd already completed them. Everyone else in the mission got half the pay. When I joined a mission I had never done, I got half payout while the host got full. So it's not exactly half payouts for every mission. It's only for everyone who isn't the host
(On PS3)

Nevermind on this, I don't actually know what governs whether you get full pay or not, but I've definitely gotten full pay on missions I've already completed and half pay on ones I haven't

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

Robawesome posted:

Parachuting is fun. The irony is in a bunch of people complaining about penalties in Free Mode but never wanting to play the penalty-less Deathmatches. No, instead the solution is to turn Free Mode into a perpetual Deathmatch :rolleyes:
Do you really not understand how open-world PvP is radically different than match-based PvP? Are you really unable to comprehend how someone might enjoy one style of PvP but not enjoy the other?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Robawesome posted:

Because the adversarial missions are hosed in that the losing team gets absolutely nothing.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Because the adversarial missions are hosed in that the losing team gets absolutely nothing.

That's only some of the missions. LTS and Deathmatches give rewards to everyone

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Psion posted:

Can confirm they haven't on 360.

Yup, we are on our 3rd race on PS3 and it's the same as it was before the patch for me. Huzzah, easy leveling!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yardbomb posted:

deathmatch is absolutely no fun most of the time.
New DM mode: Impromptu Deathmatch

X number of kills in an area triggers a prompt to all involved to join an Impromptu Area Deathmatch. Gang-attack-esque red overlay appears on the map and anyone who enters is prompted to opt-in to the area deathmatch. No death penalties, no Bad Sport points for vehicle explosions, no cops, and a bigger area than the existing deathmatch maps (and can take place anywhere). After X minutes/X kills, the winner gets a small prize and things return to normal free-roam and another deathmatch can't be activated in that area for X minutes.

There. Now people can free-roam and get into roaming street battles with pubbies and assuming both parties want to continue, they now have the option to do so without breaking the bank/getting put in Bad Sport hell. Getting killed by pubbies but don't want to DM? Don't opt-in when the prompt appears and it's the same old free-roam with death penalties and Bad Sportting if they ruin your ride.

e: Or people who opt-in can't kill non-opted in people and vice versa or something.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

noxiousg posted:

Do you really not understand how open-world PvP is radically different than match-based PvP? Are you really unable to comprehend how someone might enjoy one style of PvP but not enjoy the other?

They're practically the same thing considering there's a Deathmatch in basically every area of LS. Yes, you have to find participants and go through loading screens but that's a better alternative than having Free Roam be just another Deathmatch mode with no score or penalties.

Pleads posted:

New DM mode: Impromptu Deathmatch

X number of kills in an area triggers a prompt to all involved to join an Impromptu Area Deathmatch. Gang-attack-esque red overlay appears on the map and anyone who enters is prompted to opt-in to the area deathmatch. No death penalties, no Bad Sport points for vehicle explosions, no cops, and a bigger area than the existing deathmatch maps (and can take place anywhere). After X minutes/X kills, the winner gets a small prize and things return to normal free-roam and another deathmatch can't be activated in that area for X minutes.

There. Now people can free-roam and get into roaming street battles with pubbies and assuming both parties want to continue, they now have the option to do so without breaking the bank/getting put in Bad Sport hell. Getting killed by pubbies but don't want to DM? Don't opt-in when the prompt appears and it's the same old free-roam with death penalties and Bad Sportting if they ruin your ride.

This is a fantastic compromise. Also, remove the death penalty if you get killed within 30 seconds of respawning.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Whoever decided on this is beyond dumbass level. I wouldn't mind even if the reward was piddly as hell, but spending time in a competitive mode and losing by maybe a few points and getting NOTHING for it? No, shove that right back where it came from.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Please stop defending this Rockstar F2P bullshit. If half of this was in any other game people would scream to high heavens about it.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
Thank you to the goon who gave me a tank last night. I killed so many pubbies though no one placed a bounty on me.
Also to the goon who traded races and sorry to everyone who played Base Invaders with me. I can solo it fine usually but last night things just kept going to poo poo.

On topic: I too am vary upset about them halving the rewards. I repeated a bunch of missions early on to get an apartment and now I can't manage to hold more than 100k. Between restocking ammo (which I suspect is vanishing because there's no way I went through 2000 sniper bullets), dying in free roam, paying medical bills and repairing my car. It's all just too expensive.

The whole thing is bullshit and I'm definitely going to be sending a few e-mails to Rockstore about this. I don't imagine they will care but I will try.

A c E fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RBX posted:

Please stop defending this Rockstar F2P bullshit. If half of this was in any other game people would scream to high heavens about it.

It's not even that bad here but yeah, R* is one of those companies immune to general criticism for one reason or another. All it's doing is making it easier for them to make this even more grindy and annoying but look at something like GTAforums, even with people yelling about dumb choices, there's just as many if not more people desperately trying to cling to R*'s side and blame it on "the glitchers" for ruining the game.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread