Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Constable Lemon posted:

Why would anyone want Magician as an ability? It's pretty much worthless, considering the only way it can be useful is if you forgo your own item to steal your opponent's. And even then, you can't guarantee the item will be useful to you. You could very easily accidentally swipe a Choice Band as a Delphox and now you're stuck in a choice item that doesn't even boost your preferred attack. At least with Blaze you can hit things harder when you're at low health, which is always useful.

I've seen people say it'll be helpful in Little Cup with a Fire Gem and stealing your opponent's Eviolite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volt Catfish posted:

Waiiit how does the GTS even work?

There is a Sewaddle on the GTS and I want that Pokemon in general, but to be on the GTS means it has to be in one of the games, right?

I am under the impression the Pokemon not found in X or Y cannot be traded to Gen VI at all in present times...

There's a post-game thing that'll let you get some pokemon from other generations. Not to mention that all the Pokemon in X/Y are a blend of various generations anyway rather than leaning too heavily on the Gen 6's.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Constable Lemon posted:

Why would anyone want Magician as an ability? It's pretty much worthless, considering the only way it can be useful is if you forgo your own item to steal your opponent's. And even then, you can't guarantee the item will be useful to you. You could very easily accidentally swipe a Choice Band as a Delphox and now you're stuck in a choice item that doesn't even boost your preferred attack. At least with Blaze you can hit things harder when you're at low health, which is always useful.

A lot of abilities and even hidden abilities are indeed pretty garbage.

That ones sounds like it's mainly good if you know your opponent is holding some nasty item.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Constable Lemon posted:

But can you steal megastones off opponents? I can see that being mildly useful to prevent some of the more absurd ones from triggering.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

You're water! I'll edit in a sec with the pokes.

Octillery, Gyarados, and one other which I shall try to find!

Thank you sir! That seems...semi-useful? I hope! I wonder what my third one is.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

I'm battling in a restaurant but all I meet is level 10 apes. What do I have to do to make the chefs/butlers/whatever have better Pokémon?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha ha, holy poo poo. Put a Quilladin on the GTS asking for a Xerneas a couple of hours ago. Lo and behold, someone traded. Sure, it was a special ability one from the Safari, but still. :psyduck:

Also clearly somebody thought it'd be hard to capture because it's in a Master Ball. Heh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDragon posted:

Ha ha, holy poo poo. Put a Quilladin on the GTS asking for a Xerneas a couple of hours ago. Lo and behold, someone traded. Sure, it was a special ability one from the Safari, but still. :psyduck:

Also clearly somebody thought it'd be hard to capture because it's in a Master Ball. Heh.

I hope someone tells that poor soul about Quick Balls :allears:. Maybe they traded it to get rid of their shame?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

McDragon posted:

I did the same thing. Only difference was that mine was a girl instead of Bulletproof. Seems like you can get just about anything for a starter.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
This game is so fun. I've already planning out my second playthrough. I'm going to do a mono rock type run and Aurorus is going to be my best buddy. I'm going to name him Steve Austin in honor of his typing. :getin:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Volt Catfish posted:

Waiiit how does the GTS even work?

There is a Sewaddle on the GTS and I want that Pokemon in general, but to be on the GTS means it has to be in one of the games, right?

I am under the impression the Pokemon not found in X or Y cannot be traded to Gen VI at all in present times...

People have found old pokes in friend safaris. It's totally possible they found a sewaddle and put it up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People have found old pokes in friend safaris. It's totally possible they found a sewaddle and put it up.

Yeah, Swadloon is in a bunch of my friend safaris.

Discounting the 50 legendaries, and 12 gens 2-5 starter lines, there are only about 50 pokemon total you cannot currently get. Including, bizzarely, Rattata.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You can get pictures of the team you beat the elite 4 with on Pokemon-GL.com!

MVP here was Crabink for soloing 2 of the E4. The bottom 3 were sort of deadweight. Sylveon doesn't have much coverage besides Fairy which I already have pretty well covered, and Spritzee and Slurpuff just have lowish stats. The game doesn't seem to acknowledge you beating the champion with a single type like in B2/W2 :(

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Has it been established whether it is possible to have one parent hold a Destiny Know and the other a power item and have all 6 IVs passed down?

Constable Lemon posted:

There are good consumable items, such as Focus Sash. On my White 2 I have a Weavile with Pickpocket. Since Weavile is fragile, I give him a focus sash. A lot of the time when he gets hit by a strong move, he steals the item after the Focus Sash activates.

Francis posted:

I completely ignored Gen 5 after Pearl was unplayably slow. X/Y are really good though! Unfortunately the post-game is kind of lacking. I've heard really good things about how much there is to do in Gen 5 after you beat the game, but four different versions is really confusing. So I have a few questions about going back to the older games:

1) I know I can still get a shiny Giratina from Gamestop if I buy in the next two days, but how much will I regret it if I wait until later?

2) Apparently Dream World is shutting down now that Gen 6 is out. How much does that affect playing Gen 5 games?

3) As far as I can tell, the Memory Link content is the only reason to buy B1/W1. How much is there? Should I care? Is there anything else that I've overlooked?

4) Unova Link unlocking Challenge Mode and the version-exclusive areas sounds neat. Is that local-only, though, or can someone unlock a fresh copy's Challenge Mode over the internet?

Sorry for all the questions, but if the Giratina thing is important I need to make a decision today.

1) I don't know, how much do you want a shiny Giratina? If the shiny Sinnoh box mascots activate a special event in XY that we don't yet know about (the shiny legendary dogs did in BW), you might be annoyed later.

2) You'll have fewer avenues to get pokemon with good hidden abilities. You can still probably trade with goons to get anything you really want. Some of the medals (achievements) in BW2 will not be attainable.

3) If you care about the story you might want to play BW1, otherwise not really.

4) Local only

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Urgh, I don't like grinding the plot to a halt like this right after Xerosic activates the ultimate weapon/crystal thing , but I've gotta find some rain to evolve my Sliggoo.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

The Moon Monster posted:

You can get pictures of the team you beat the elite 4 with on Pokemon-GL.com!

MVP here was Crabink for soloing 2 of the E4. The bottom 3 were sort of deadweight. Sylveon doesn't have much coverage besides Fairy which I already have pretty well covered, and Spritzee and Slurpuff just have lowish stats. The game doesn't seem to acknowledge you beating the champion with a single type like in B2/W2 :(

Florgess certainly looks less like some kind of insect that has merged with a plant and more like a fairy in that picture.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Alcatrash posted:

I'm battling in a restaurant but all I meet is level 10 apes. What do I have to do to make the chefs/butlers/whatever have better Pokémon?

There are better restaurants the unlock as you go through the game. The next one up is the two-star Restaurant Le Yeah

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Florges looks better in this line art.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I did it!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

McDragon posted:

I got an Yveltal for an Electabuzz :shepface:

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Zore posted:

Yeah, Swadloon is in a bunch of my friend safaris.

Discounting the 50 legendaries, and 12 gens 2-5 starter lines, there are only about 50 pokemon total you cannot currently get. Including, bizzarely, Rattata.

Has anyone found a porygon in friend safaris? As far as I can tell, porygons are uncatchable right now, but they're my favorite. I don't want to wait until December. :smith:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
OK, Serebii says this on the "new breeding mechanics" page.

quote:

Another new feature is the furthering of IV transfer. Previously, when the parent Pokémon had power items attached, it guaranteed the transfer of one of the IVs, while several IVs were guaranteed to pass down. However, as of X & Y, if you have one of the parents hold the Destiny Knot item, then 5 IVs total from either parent will be guaranteed to be transferred

It sounds like if one parent holds a Power Item and the other parent holds a Destiny Knot then the power item stat will be passed down from the parent holding it, and then 4 other stats at random will be passed down from either parent. Not as powerful as it first sounded but still a really big asset to IV breeding. Anybody have better information on this?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Skimmed the thread so I probably missed this being asked, but in Black and White there was a version of the battle subway double battles where you and a friend each controlled one Pokemon at a time. I always thought this would be really cool to do online battles in this way, but as far as I know this wasn't possible in B/W. Has it changed for X and Y?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hammerite posted:

It sounds like if one parent holds a Power Item and the other parent holds a Destiny Knot then the power item stat will be passed down from the parent holding it, and then 4 other stats at random will be passed down from either parent. Not as powerful as it first sounded but still a really big asset to IV breeding. Anybody have better information on this?

Combined with friend safari its still pretty big. It's fairly easy to breed a pokemon with 3-4 31 IVs and you put two together and you would get a 5 top IV child within 5-10 eggs.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I evolved my Floette into Florges, and I really love how she looks. She looks like a Parasite Eve boss or something. She's also mega cute in Pokemon-Amie.

Also, is Sableye rare in this game? I caught one the other day in a cave and it was the only one I saw in all my running around.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Skimmed the thread so I probably missed this being asked, but in Black and White there was a version of the battle subway double battles where you and a friend each controlled one Pokemon at a time. I always thought this would be really cool to do online battles in this way, but as far as I know this wasn't possible in B/W. Has it changed for X and Y?

I think you can do multi battle while online in the Battle Maison.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Enzer posted:

But can you steal megastones off opponents? I can see that being mildly useful to prevent some of the more absurd ones from triggering.

You cannot steal megastones. Megastones can't be messed with at all, by knock-off, trick, anything.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
How are people raising Happiness quickly in this game? Preferably without leveling the pokieman too much. My Munchlax is still munchin' around but I want Belly Drum on my Charmanders :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How are people raising Happiness quickly in this game? Preferably without leveling the pokieman too much. My Munchlax is still munchin' around but I want Belly Drum on my Charmanders :(

I rode my bike for an hour.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
How exactly does the Global Link website's miles store work? I bought about 600 miles worth of Lemonade and Moomoo milk and poo poo, but so far nothing has appeared in-game. I've got the game sync set up, I've saved, reloaded, force quit the game, reloaded again, nothing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I just left them in my party with a soothe bell on while leveling other stuff. I'm not sure how to power-happy things in this game yet.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Does anyone have Riolu in their Safari? I need it to breed every single Pokemon on my final team.
If you do please add me, FC is 5300-9018-9920, my type is Dark.

vvv Thanks for the offer, but the ones from the Safari have three 31 IVs that I need to pass down for breeding.

Millions fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 18, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

The Moon Monster posted:

I just left them in my party with a soothe bell on while leveling other stuff. I'm not sure how to power-happy things in this game yet.

In the juice store, the man at the left counter says that his poo poo will make your pokemon happier. You can also get massages in ??? town.

Millions posted:

Does anyone have Riolu in their Safari? I need it to breed every single Pokemon on my final team.
If you do please add me, FC is 5300-9018-9920, my type is Dark.

I don't know what this new safari stuff is, but I have a male Riolu you can have. Do you just need a riolu or does it need to be a special one from the safari?

e: I can go catch a female if you need one of those, too.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

For you guys looking at IVs, what's currently the easiest way to check a freshly-hatched monster's IVs, if the online calculators aren't working/don't have that 'mon yet?

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

The Moon Monster posted:

There's also a lady somewhere that gives massages like the last game, but I totally forget where she is. So I'm not help. She does exist, though.

So in Pokemon-Amie, do the hearts not decay? Only the fullness/enjoyment?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I meant other than the one massage a day thing, but thanks. I'll just ride around while making eggs or something.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Is ther any trick to leveling o-powers, other than just giving them to people?

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:
Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but has there been a change to the rareness of shiny pokemon in the wild? Is it more frequent, or was I just lucky with my wild shiny Sandile?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

turnways posted:

For you guys looking at IVs, what's currently the easiest way to check a freshly-hatched monster's IVs, if the online calculators aren't working/don't have that 'mon yet?
IV checker in Kiloude. He tells you about particularly awful IVs now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is it confirmed that the destiny knot and IV item stack?

...not that it really matters given you need one parent to hold an everstone for the right nature.

• Locked thread