Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah it lacks synergy between its features as well, yeah you get +1 to forge paths but you cant really get a good efficienct use of the forge discount on bigger base cost items. Its still great if you need it to access those sorts of things but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Can anyone direct me to a good pretender sprite pack for D4 ? I especially dislike the dragon sprites and had a far better pack for D3, but lost it somewhere. Also where is the main forum now located, now that the game is sold over Desuria/Gamers Gate and no longer over the Shrapnel site ?

Edit: Hah, I'm an idiot, it's in the OP.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zauper posted:

Sea trolls are fine vs indies and fantastic in castle defense.

Well if you are just clearing indies, you can just use random shamblers, merfolk or fishmen. I was assuming it was to raid an actual player. Unless you have a scary SC you are basically just clearing indies for your neighbor who will likely take your poo poo immediately since you are pretty much powerless to stop them.

For those summons that require land, you can simply raid onto land against someone who won't immediately throw you off next turn, put down a lab, and summon. You can keep some water breathing stuff handy if you don't think you can hold afterwards and will need to retreat.

Alternatively, it's usually possible to negotiate with a friendly neighbor and buy a land province off of them.

Pelagia is pretty boss underwater and I'd focus on taking the whole ocean for myself before worrying about land.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 18, 2013

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well if you are just clearing indies, you can just use random shamblers, merfolk or fishmen. I was assuming it was to raid an actual player. Unless you have a scary SC you are basically just clearing indies for your neighbor who will likely take your poo poo immediately since you are pretty much powerless to stop them.

For those summons that require land, you can simply raid onto land against someone who won't immediately throw you off next turn, put down a lab, and summon. You can keep some water breathing stuff handy if you don't think you can hold afterwards and will need to retreat.

Alternatively, it's usually possible to negotiate with a friendly neighbor and buy a land province off of them.

Pelagia is pretty boss underwater and I'd focus on taking the whole ocean for myself before worrying about land.

I think this is a good way to lose the game as there are never remotely as many water provinces as land (and, consequently, gold, gems and thrones). The 1:1 conversion to pearls make a wish engine workable, but the research for that and throne victory condition make the very long game less likely to succeed, I think.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

builds character posted:

I think this is a good way to lose the game as there are never remotely as many water provinces as land (and, consequently, gold, gems and thrones). The 1:1 conversion to pearls make a wish engine workable, but the research for that and throne victory condition make the very long game less likely to succeed, I think.

Well you will probably lose regardless of strategy as Pelagia, but it's at least a thing that could work (on a big map with a big ocean).

Only alternative is an awake SC but that's a terrible one trick pony that might dissuade one neighbor from taking all of your land. Then you pray to the RNG for a site that will give you something beyond SC plus a bunch of indie trash and maybe pearl lords with fish amulets before someone else comes for your stuff.

It's really hard to hold land against a determined opponent as an aquatic nation without midgame spells and summons.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
CopycatPantheon

I'm gonna be out of town this weekend, so could one of my teammates try to do my turns if you see this?

Thanks!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I made a unit with a #demonundead #bonus ranged weapon and gave it to a monster but he just sits there shooting it at non-demon and non-undead units inflicting no damage (obviously). What gives?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Can someone help me see any value whatsoever in the monkey nations (Kalasia, Bandar Log, Patala)? Their recruit anywhere mages are pretty awful at 2S1N with no randoms, their sacreds and good mages are cap only and often slow to recruit, and none of their regular line troops are outstanding (and almost universally have low MR). Sure, you might be able to make a half decent communion from your 2S1N and your 1S mages, but other nations with astral have much better path diversity and will be able to leverage a wider variety of more effective battlemagic off of their communions.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what you actually do with the nation. They don't really appear to have the ability to leverage sacreds well, they need magic diversity pretty badly, and their troops aren't that great, so an awake SC would be incredibly helpful. On top of that, they've got the ability to get great swarms of cheap small archers, except that those archers are undisciplined and they don't have fire magic so they can't cast flaming arrows anyway.

I feel like they'd be pretty good or at least decent if their line mages had any sort of magic diversity at all, really. It's also amusing that their best recruit anywhere priest is an independent priest, which certainly doesn't help their ability to take advantage of sacreds.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well back in Dom3 when gem-gens were still a thing that existed and research was quicker you'd be able to clam hard and leverage those truly fantastic sacred summons like Gandharvas and eventually Rudra. Now though with gem gens eliminated and research hugely lengthened I reckon that those spells need to be placed earlier in the Conjuration path and have their prices slashed pretty deeply (seriously, 55 pearls for a Rudra these days??).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm going to laugh and laugh the first time someone wishes for a hammer of the forge lord in Dom 4.

I'll also laugh if someone wishes for The Chalice because it no longer heals afflictions of undead.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Can someone help me see any value whatsoever in the monkey nations (Kalasia, Bandar Log, Patala)? Their recruit anywhere mages are pretty awful at 2S1N with no randoms, their sacreds and good mages are cap only and often slow to recruit, and none of their regular line troops are outstanding (and almost universally have low MR). Sure, you might be able to make a half decent communion from your 2S1N and your 1S mages, but other nations with astral have much better path diversity and will be able to leverage a wider variety of more effective battlemagic off of their communions.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what you actually do with the nation. They don't really appear to have the ability to leverage sacreds well, they need magic diversity pretty badly, and their troops aren't that great, so an awake SC would be incredibly helpful. On top of that, they've got the ability to get great swarms of cheap small archers, except that those archers are undisciplined and they don't have fire magic so they can't cast flaming arrows anyway.

I feel like they'd be pretty good or at least decent if their line mages had any sort of magic diversity at all, really. It's also amusing that their best recruit anywhere priest is an independent priest, which certainly doesn't help their ability to take advantage of sacreds.

EA's cap mages are excellent and not STR. E3 is amazing and you can do some pretty brutal things with massed monkeys with it on top of the normal earth things. Their sacreds are excellent though vulnerable to arrows, with the spear ones being recruit anywhere. The lack of priests hurts, though that's only an early game issue as you can crank out H1 independent priests or communion up to H3 if necessary later.

MA's got tigers, which mow through indies like a chainsaw and make good expansion parties.

LA's sacreds are kind of lovely compared to the other eras and are more resource intensive to boot.

Early and late era practically require an awake SC. MA can handle it with just blessed tigers if desired and you also get recruit anywhere white ones so a full bless strategy can work. I like to throw some fire on my SC if I can afford it, as massed strength buffed monkeys throwing flaming poo poo (I prefer to imagine they are throwing feces when you cast flaming arrows :colbert:) is hilariously effective. Nothing is more satisfying than routing an army of triple blessed jags with Makarta. With even a moderate bless you should be able to build at least a couple of other expansion parties and eke out a decent territory.

Your million little S1 research mages can be leveraged to make soul slay/enslave mind communions all by themselves. All 3 eras cap mages either have S or get S randoms which can be plugged into your communions as well. They aren't the best communion nation, but they are a good one. The unique monkey conjuration spells are also really really good and allow you to break into pretty much everything but death and blood, though fire doesn't come until super late.

How are u posted:

Well back in Dom3 when gem-gens were still a thing that existed and research was quicker you'd be able to clam hard and leverage those truly fantastic sacred summons like Gandharvas and eventually Rudra. Now though with gem gens eliminated and research hugely lengthened I reckon that those spells need to be placed earlier in the Conjuration path and have their prices slashed pretty deeply (seriously, 55 pearls for a Rudra these days??).

Yeah the lack of clam spam does hurt their lategame potential and it's not nearly as easy to go spamming the poo poo out of Rudras.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I'll also laugh if someone wishes for The Chalice because it no longer heals afflictions of undead.

Is there anything besides GoH to heal Tarts or is it just going to be GoH or nothing? Because if it is I'd expect very long games to eventually end up with something ridiculous like a 999 gem GoH cast.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Excellent monkey-points

Fair enough, I think I overvalue good line mages when I evaluate a nation, and the monkey line mages are awful (except as communion slaves, but you do need to get a cap only mage to plug them into or they're just not useful). However, with shorter game lengths, cap-only mages and troops are going to be much more important than they were in Dom3 owing to the reduced number of fortresses that can be built in that time.

It also helps that their reduced MR isn't as big a deal when you consider that most of the really powerful late game spells that decimate armies through MR-negates stuff come too late to be all that important.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It seems nearly impossible to get to level 9 anything in research, but on the other hand it's easier to spread out research. So would there be any good replacements for Tarts?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

It also helps that their reduced MR isn't as big a deal when you consider that most of the really powerful late game spells that decimate armies through MR-negates stuff come too late to be all that important.

Monkeys die to basically everything anyways and when late game rolls around with terrifying poo poo like tartarians and master enslave, your monkeys aren't much worse than any other unit as a chaff wall. Any potential foe would get a lot of makarta with a cast though. Lucky them! :haw:

amuayse posted:

It seems nearly impossible to get to level 9 anything in research, but on the other hand it's easier to spread out research. So would there be any good replacements for Tarts?

Nothing is on par with tarts, which is why everyone goes for them. It takes loving forever to build a tart factory though and there are even more SC killing spells than there were in 3. Resist changes also make it a lot harder to turn them into tri-immune avatars of death.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 18, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Can someone help me see any value whatsoever in the monkey nations (Kalasia, Bandar Log, Patala)?
I like Bandar Log, because it has a whole heckuvalotta summons from all of the ages. But they are kinda gash, I suppose. Chaos Power is particularly onerous on Lanka's summons.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
What can you tell me about this 'reincarnation' I see on Patala's monkey mage/priests, and the 'hypnotize' on their nagas, commander and line troops?

Nagarashi (1 turn) and Nagarini (STR) have a second shape if they start the battle out in Yaksha form, which makes them a bit weaker magically in water, but a second life isn't bad, especially if you attempt to thug the Nagarashi. Naginis (1 turn) don't get that, but they don't get STR and they get stealth+seduction, though that seems a rather expensive gamble. The Yaksha form also has the side benefit of negating 'cold-blooded'.

These Yaksha lack the awe of their EA versions, and lose the venom spit/hypnotism of their Naga shape, but it is something you can certainly try to mess around with.

Finally, the best shittiest three reasons to play the ape nations: Reenacting the Planet of the Apes, you no longer have to rely on national PD, Horror Marking everything and everyone, no communion required.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LordSloth posted:

What can you tell me about this 'reincarnation' I see on Patala's monkey mage/priests, and the 'hypnotize' on their nagas, commander and line troops?

I haven't looked at hypnotize, but reincarnation does exactly what it says. If they die they have a chance to come back as another monkey. Sometimes they come back as the same type, sometimes something different, and sometimes they go to be one with the force and give you a candle. Not sure if being in friendly dom affects the chance or not.

It doesn't seem to fire in battle but the effect is noticeable during something like burden of time.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 18, 2013

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Reincarnation not firing in battle explains why I've only ever seen it happen once... If they chaned that it would be pretty neag to havd a bunch of white ones come back as gurus after a battle. Might be OP ic the chance is too high, though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I believe Hypnotise is a Confusion effect upon the target.

On reincarnation, obviously the prostrat is to build your pretender around rushing Burden of Time (it's only Thaum 5!) and reincarnate until you have HUNDREDS of candles. Can't possibly fail.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

sullat posted:

Reincarnation not firing in battle explains why I've only ever seen it happen once... If they chaned that it would be pretty neag to havd a bunch of white ones come back as gurus after a battle. Might be OP ic the chance is too high, though.

What do they come back as? The way it is worded I assumed they had a chance to become a temple-check.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Decrepus posted:

What do they come back as? The way it is worded I assumed they had a chance to become a temple-check.

They come back as random monkey units or a temple check.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

jBrereton posted:

I believe Hypnotise is a Confusion effect upon the target.

On reincarnation, obviously the prostrat is to build your pretender around rushing Burden of Time (it's only Thaum 5!) and reincarnate until you have HUNDREDS of candles. Can't possibly fail.

This is the ultimate domkill strategy.

Have any Dom4 games actually gotten to "late game" or is it all just theory atm?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A better question is perhaps "what even constitutes 'late game' with the introduction of thrones as a very tight victory condition, and the enormous increase in high-level research costs?". Might be the case that we very rarely see anything above research level 7/8 at all ever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Decrepus posted:

I had a few 1s mages come back as 2s1n mages after being cut off in a retreat. This was back in dom 3, mind you.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

jBrereton posted:

A better question is perhaps "what even constitutes 'late game' with the introduction of thrones as a very tight victory condition, and the enormous increase in high-level research costs?". Might be the case that we very rarely see anything above research level 7/8 at all ever.

Well sacred rushing seems much more useful for Throne games. Especially so with the force multiplier of several disciple nations working in tandem.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

jBrereton posted:

I mean, not all games will feature throne victory conditions, but yeah throne win conditions will definitely place a more reasonable time limit on winning than games otherwise have. I think it will be possible for stuff to get late enough if the game is sizably large, but you'll see a much greater reliance on battle mages than on SCs/Thugs like it was in Dom3.

Edit: Also just going to throw out here that all gurus can cast stellar cascades and soul slay (If light of the north star is cast) which are both very, very good spells. Very useful, especially considering the B9 changes.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
I love and miss you modders. The new path SC's in (Awesome Endgame?) were great. Grendles for water, Asynja for air, etc. I miss all them in vanilla Dom 4. On the other hand, it is certainly a significant improvement on Dom 3. I'll dick around in single player a bit more then jump back into multiplayer. I even won a game once in dom 3! Out of a dozen plus...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Speaking of, I'm thinking of authoring a balance mod focusing on avoiding power creep and keeping gameplay similar to the base game, as much as possible anyway. I think national balance has to be first on the agenda, given that Dom4 changes, even global ones, mostly affect that. And also that it's easy to mod all national stuff without a dom4db or mod inspector. Any ideas for what to look at first?

AmishSpecialForces posted:

I love and miss you modders. The new path SC's in (Awesome Endgame?) were great. Grendles for water, Asynja for air, etc. I miss all them in vanilla Dom 4. On the other hand, it is certainly a significant improvement on Dom 3. I'll dick around in single player a bit more then jump back into multiplayer. I even won a game once in dom 3! Out of a dozen plus...

EDM by llamabeast (from the official forums / dom3mods) was the basis of AE, and EDM was also phased into CBM. AE's main innovations were drastic improvement of unique summons and the less-used EDM summons.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

Any ideas for what to look at first?
Possibly bringing Yomi to #fortera 1 and seeing what that does for the appeal of Turmoil/Prod over Order/Sloth.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I was thinking just upping the chaosrec to approach the difference between O3 and T3.

I mean, Yomi has absolutely zero reason to take Prod anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm sorely tempted to go through and make a mod that gives leather caps to all the armor but no hat units. Something about hatless units just annoys the hell out of me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDemon posted:

Speaking of, I'm thinking of authoring a balance mod focusing on avoiding power creep and keeping gameplay similar to the base game, as much as possible anyway. I think national balance has to be first on the agenda, given that Dom4 changes, even global ones, mostly affect that. And also that it's easy to mod all national stuff without a dom4db or mod inspector. Any ideas for what to look at first?

As above, and maybe some way of making it so that Yomi doesn't have to choose between weakening all its units and simply not being able to afford them. Different nation, the Yazatas of Caelum need to be cheaper and/or you need to get more per casting of that spell; not only are they dramatically overpriced, but as-is Caelum can't actually naturally summon them (except MA Caelum with a really lucky random or a traded/pretender-forged booster) so your ability to actually get them out is really limited even before the anemic quantity you get per casting. MA/LA R'lyeh's Starspawn need to be recruit-everywhere again because, while STR is a welcome change, cap-only is painful.

On a global level, the elemental royalty should probably be up to 5 or 6 in their paths (F6 for the King of Flames, King of Magma should actually be able to cast the Magma spells, etc.). Temporary gemgens of types other than astral, water, and earth would be nice too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 19, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Theres a real easy to forge temp gemgen for fire, its like f1 5 gems construction 2

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
This is still a thing?! Go home Dominions, you're drunk.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Single player and about turn 40, but might be interesting in a few rare cases if you hurry a bit faster and the throne isn't very good (just provides dominion spread (7) in this case). 5e6n and about 25 gems of each is the loot...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm sorely tempted to go through and make a mod that gives leather caps to all the armor but no hat units. Something about hatless units just annoys the hell out of me.

You could call it the TF2 mod.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

I was thinking just upping the chaosrec to approach the difference between O3 and T3.

Bandit Archers specifically firing at one kind of target with Flaming Arrows can be handy!

But other than that, yeah.

Also, this whole MP thing is taking years off my life. So much fretting. Over a computer game.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
For anyone who's in MadPantheon, check the signup thread as I've made a large effortpost that is sorta important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

TheDemon posted:

Definitely worth doing a little bit on the bigger oni, but remember there is a 240 point difference between O3 and T3 so they shouldn't really be comparable. Someone did mention giving the nation the spreadschaos tag. That way they'll spread chaos like Niefelheim spreads cold, which will be functionally similar as Niefel jarls fight like rear end in heat. Plus I also like obnoxious dominion/nation effects that aren't game changers like pop kill.

• Locked thread