Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dudebro posted:

If I got a dutch oven, would it make sense to use it as a good frying pan (non-stick or at least easy to clean) or would that be a bit cumbersome? Is it too deep to use practically for that purpose?

I was in boy scouts and we used non-enameled dutch ovens for pretty much everything (at least while not backpacking or camping a significant distance from where you parked your car.) While you can use them as a frying pan I wouldn't throw out all of your other cookware - off the top of my head they'd be pretty much useless for something where being delicate is required, like making crepes or an omelette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I just want something that's relatively non-stick or easy to clean (and not Teflon). I do cook eggs often (not pure omlettes, but scrambled and poured in the pan). I found something on Amazon by a company called Healthy Legend out of Germany. Those look okay and cost less than a La Creuset dutch oven of course.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D06792S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LMBW6FUSJZPF

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The obvious solution is buying a $30 cast iron pan and just using that for the rest of your life.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dudebro posted:

I just want something that's relatively non-stick or easy to clean (and not Teflon). I do cook eggs often (not pure omlettes, but scrambled and poured in the pan). I found something on Amazon by a company called Healthy Legend out of Germany. Those look okay and cost less than a La Creuset dutch oven of course.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D06792S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LMBW6FUSJZPF
Don't buy that - the needs of a non-stick and a cast-iron are different and it's well worth owning both for the price of the item you linked.

Cast-iron (get 12"):
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-...st+iron+skillet

Non-stick (get 10"):
http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Profess...t-fal+non-stick

As for dutch oven:

Non-enameled
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DOL3-...odge+dutch+oven

Enameled
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-EC6D43-Enameled-6-Quart/dp/B000N501BK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381532942&sr=8-2&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven

Choice between enameled and non-enameled is up to you. Personally I use tomatoes a lot and I don't like having to worry about that sort of thing so if I were choosing between the two I'd go enameled, though the hardcore prosumer krew prefers cast-iron. I personally own a Staub but they're very expensive.

It's well worth owning all three of these items - a cast-iron skillet, a non-stick skillet, and EITHER type of dutch oven. Owning both types of dutch ovens isn't all that necessary.

It sounds like you may just want a normal skillet, though, in which case I strongly recommend Cuisinart Multiclad pro (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...s=cuisinart+mcp) - I own this and I have trouble imagining a better skillet. I would own this in addition to the items above, though realistically you could put off the cast-iron purchase for a while if you owned one of these.

At this phase in my life I refuse to use anything but teflon for eggs though. gently caress that poo poo. You will not find an omni-pan that is good for eggs and for everything else - the egg pan will basically have to be a separate pan (the teflon).

No Wave has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Thanks for the thorough response. I'll be considering those options.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just cook your eggs inside a properly seasoned Dutch oven after you cook bacon. Between the seasoning and the grease, it's as non stick as you'll ever need.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the problem with teflon? You shouldn't be cooking eggs at high enough a temperature to damage it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Anyone got a recommendation for an electric toothbrush?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Guilty posted:

Try cross-posting here.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

I dont get the joke

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I guess it's a masturbation joke?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guilty posted:

Philips Sonicare. It's what your dentist and everyone who works in his/her office uses.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cacahuate posted:

I guess it's a masturbation joke?

And as it turns out maybe a poor one. Swing and a miss etc.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My lodge cast iron skillet is the best investment I've ever made, I cook everything I can with it.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Philips Sonicare. It's what your dentist and everyone who works in his/her office uses.

Agreed. I had an oral b brush a few years ago, and while it was good, the Sonicare I replaced it with is much better. I bought the $70 or 80 one on Amazon. Couldn't be happier.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

Agreed. I had an oral b brush a few years ago, and while it was good, the Sonicare I replaced it with is much better. I bought the $70 or 80 one on Amazon. Couldn't be happier.

Hrmph, I went with a 45 Euro Oral-B based on wirecutter's recommendation. Guess I'll give it a shot for awhile and if I'm unhappy I'll try the sonicare

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Yup, just get a Sonicare, you wont regret it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've used both the Oral B and the Sonicare and I assure you they're both very good brushes and will both do a much better job of cleaning your teeth than manual brushing will do.

What I like most about the Oral B is that the brush head is smaller, making it easier to fit it where it needs to go. The model I have also has a very nice timer you can stick on your wall that makes it easier to keep track of whereabouts you should be in your mouth. It features a smiley face that leers at you progressively more enthusiastically as you brush your full two minutes. I love that timer.

That said, you can buy smaller brush heads for Sonicare and many models come with this little cage on the base that you can stick your filthy brush head in and zap it with bacteria-killing rays.

I use my Sonicare these days, but I was not dissatisfied with the Oral B. I like them both. Also, whichever brush you end up with, give it a couple weeks of use before you give up on it. Power brushes feel really weird in your mouth if you're used to manual. You gotta get used to it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I agree on all counts, having owned both of them.
If I was going from a manual to an electric toothbrush, I'd choose the Sonicare every time, even at a $20 premium. If I had an Oral B drop into my lap, I wouldn't feel compelled to spend any money to go from that to a Sonicare.
Another nice plus is that I had my Sonicare spontaneously stop working after about a year of use. Phillips sent me a new one and included a shipping label to send back the broken one at my convenience. It was pretty nice customer service, I think.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My lovely old blender died today and I am looking at getting a juicer instead. I make a green shake every morning, but recently a juice place opened up by my house and I've been addicted.

Any good recommendations for a juicer? Looking for something of good quality, and a reasonable ($100 to $200) price point.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Gyshall posted:

My lovely old blender died today and I am looking at getting a juicer instead. I make a green shake every morning, but recently a juice place opened up by my house and I've been addicted.

Any good recommendations for a juicer? Looking for something of good quality, and a reasonable ($100 to $200) price point.

I have this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-Fountain-700-Watt-Extractor/dp/B000MDHH06

I don't have any other juicers to compare it to but it's easy to clean and works very well, I don't know what more you could want in a juicer.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Power brushes feel really weird in your mouth if you're used to manual. You gotta get used to it.

After a while brushing manually is going to feel super awkward. I can't go back.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Butt Savage posted:

After a while brushing manually is going to feel super awkward. I can't go back.

Yeah I don't usually bring my sonicare when I travel, and I pretty much have no idea what to do. I stand there with the toothbrush in my mouth and just kinda dumbly wait for it to clean my teeth for a minute before I realize that I have to actually brush.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hey guys, I need a recommendation for the best pillow to get. My neck and head ache after sleep often and I need a contour pillow which actually supports instead of eventually sinking into the ground. Budget is probably max $100.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i am not so sure posted:

Hey guys, I need a recommendation for the best pillow to get. My neck and head ache after sleep often and I need a contour pillow which actually supports instead of eventually sinking into the ground. Budget is probably max $100.

Google up a buckwheat hull pillow and give that a try. The trick with these things is to shape them to your shoulder/neck when you go to sleep. They are cooling, they don't deform, and honestly you can just make one yourself out of buckwheat husks and a spare zip pillow case. I can't get a decent night's sleep without one anymore.

Don't pay more than like 30 bucks.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

The only thing that's ever worked for me is to get a really squishy and flat pillow (which are hard to find, at least in my area). When I lay down on it, I roll the bottom under my neck to support it. I think it's the same principal as a buckwheat pillow in that it's meant to fit your exact head and neck shape. Those weird foam block things never fit my head and neck properly and I always wound up with massive headaches.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

No Wave posted:

You'll need a high-temperature thermometer though. Absolutely mandatory.

I'm starting to use my dutch oven as a deep fryer. Do you have a recommendation? I live in Switzerland, and I can get one for $30ish I think. But I am coming back to the States in November so I can Amazon one.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Any recommendations for thermometers for temperatures inside a room? I don't care if it's digital or good old fashioned mercury. Bonus if it reads humidity.

While we're at it, a quick-read cooking thermometer would be good to know, too.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I don't have one yet, but want a Thermapen.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yoshi Jjang posted:

This thermometer is almost as fast as the Thermapen but it's $19 bucks instead of $90.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Any good recommendations for an electric razor for people with sensitive skin? I've found that disposable razors, even the higher-end fancy ones with refills, wreck my skin as I'm pretty heavily bearded - so I have to make many passes to get the job done. I know most electric razors don't get as close, but at this point I'd rather have a few more hours on my shadow than look like my neck has had boiling water splashed on it.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Baldbeard posted:

Any good recommendations for an electric razor for people with sensitive skin? I've found that disposable razors, even the higher-end fancy ones with refills, wreck my skin as I'm pretty heavily bearded - so I have to make many passes to get the job done. I know most electric razors don't get as close, but at this point I'd rather have a few more hours on my shadow than look like my neck has had boiling water splashed on it.

Have you considered learning to wetshave? I stopped getting razor burn entirely when I switched from Gilette Mach 5 Turbo Fusion PowerRR MaXX bullshit to a simple DE safety razor.

Robawesome has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Oct 18, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It sounds like you are like me. I have a gnarly grizzly bear beard inside me trying to get out, and attempts to shave it leave me either a little scratchy or with my skin torn up.

I have had good success with a DE razor. But I never go against the grain on my neck, and if I go too long between shaves, I get irritated unless I use a beard trimmer to bring it down short before I wet razor.

If you're set on an electric, I found that the straight-across foil ones worked better than the circular spinny kinds. And those blades/foils don't last forever either. Replacing them makes a world of difference, although it doesn't always make sense to economically when the replacement foils cost abou 80% of the cost of a new shaver.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Great replies thank you. I'll try the DE method and see how it goes.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

i am not so sure posted:

Someone already recommended a buckwheat pillow, but I'm going to suggest a millet hull pillow. I've slept with one for two years and it's the most amazing pillow imaginable. It's basically the same as a buckwheat pillow, but the hulls aren't as noisy.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Hiilai posted:

Someone already recommended a buckwheat pillow, but I'm going to suggest a millet hull pillow. I've slept with one for two years and it's the most amazing pillow imaginable. It's basically the same as a buckwheat pillow, but the hulls aren't as noisy.

I'm seeing a lot of hull pillows of either that are of unusual size. Does anyone have a specific recommendation that fits standard pillow cases?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

sweet_jones posted:

I'm seeing a lot of hull pillows of either that are of unusual size. Does anyone have a specific recommendation that fits standard pillow cases?

As signalnoise said, you can make one yourself out of hulls and a zip case. You can order the hulls from Amazon. The same manufacturer produces a (relatively expensive) standard twin-sized pillow, and queen and king sizes if you really want something that big/heavy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Robawesome posted:

Have you considered learning to wetshave? I stopped getting razor burn entirely when I switched from Gilette Mach 5 Turbo Fusion PowerRR MaXX bullshit to a simple DE safety razor.

I have the exact opposite experience, I wetshaved for years and never found a blade/soap combo that worked as well as a Mach5 and Nivea Aftershave lotion used as shaving cream.

I still wetshave most days as I am cheap but if I dont have time to clot the Mach5 does a much better job.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Unsolicited suggestion: Discsox brand dvd holders. I bought these for my disc-based games, and they're able to hold 2 discs, the box insert, and supplementals like instruction manuals pretty easily. My games now take up way less space and I was able to keep all the poo poo that comes with them. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have good suggestions on two items:

1) Under the counter lights of some kind (probably LED, since they'll have to be battery powered I'm sure.) Just due to the layout of my kitchen and it's terrible light, both actually cooking in the stove/prep area, and cleaning dishes in the sink is super dark. I'd like to get a couple of these to mount on the underside of the cabinets to help provide some light.

2) A waterproof/shower Bluetooth stereo to listen to music/podcasts (possibly radio but I don't need it to actually get radio stations) to while I shower.

I don't need it to be "super waterproof" to actually bring into the shower with me, but just waterproof enough that the steam won't bother it. Battery powered is best, since I have one outlet in the bathroom near the sink, but the sink is too small to put a small stereo on.

• Locked thread