Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So Paradox just released a teaser image on facebook. Here's the Paradox forums thread with the image.

I think it might be migrant/colonisation DLC as people in the thread have already suggested.

I cannot believe how excited I am just because Paradox posts a picture with lots of trees and mountains, and a few people with a wagon. What is wrong with me? I'm already stoked for the next DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Is there any way of encouraging members of my family to go off as adventurers? I've been playing as norse wales and occasionally get the notification that someone's gone off for an adventure - the most successful has been taking all of finland and then agreeing to become my vassal, but I've no idea what triggers my family members running off and becoming bizarrely successful.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lenoon posted:

Is there any way of encouraging members of my family to go off as adventurers? I've been playing as norse wales and occasionally get the notification that someone's gone off for an adventure - the most successful has been taking all of finland and then agreeing to become my vassal, but I've no idea what triggers my family members running off and becoming bizarrely successful.

I think it is pretty much random and you cannot do anything to encourage them. But there are actually two kind of adventurers, those that just conquer random stuff, and those that press a personal claim. See if your family member could have inherited a claim on a part or all of Finland. If yes you could manage the marriages of your family members to ensure they have claims to foreign titles, it could perhaps increase the likelihood of them going adventurer.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I cannot believe how excited I am just because Paradox posts a picture with lots of trees and mountains, and a few people with a wagon. What is wrong with me? I'm already stoked for the next DLC.

If it was a picture of the Pope or something, you know what's coming, no mystery at all. But this? It could be... Anything!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Paradox finally FINALLY solves the age-old mystery of how to handle migrations and hordes? :swoon:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So Paradox just released a teaser image on facebook. Here's the Paradox forums thread with the image.

I think it might be migrant/colonisation DLC as people in the thread have already suggested.
In the context of the context of the 'Underworld Invasion' DLC and other totally real future DLCs, this makes perfect sense. It's obvious an image from the 'Gypsy Curse' event chain.

Actually, were Roma around Europe in the Middle Ages? I forget when they first arrived, but something about them and other under-represented peoples would be cool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What happens if I give land to the head of a mercenary company or holy order?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You cannot give land to the head of a mercenary company. But you can give land and titles to holy orders, and get a certain amount of piety from that. If you try to give land to holy orders, the diplomacy window will display how much piety you get. The lands will leave your control and will be under the rule of the holy order. If the commander of the holy order is of your culture and has his capital in lands that you are the de jure liege of, and you are an emperor, they will swear fealty to you if you ask them (and they have a high opinion of you.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You cannot give land to the head of a mercenary company.

They can get their hands on some, though.

Actually, I know that this happens and have seen it, but what does a Mercenary company do with land it seizes to repay debts? I mean, I've never seen a game where they did it and they didn't either have it taken back quickly, or have the game end because they seized the player's territory.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Torrannor posted:

You cannot give land to the head of a mercenary company. But you can give land and titles to holy orders, and get a certain amount of piety from that. If you try to give land to holy orders, the diplomacy window will display how much piety you get. The lands will leave your control and will be under the rule of the holy order. If the commander of the holy order is of your culture and has his capital in lands that you are the de jure liege of, and you are an emperor, they will swear fealty to you if you ask them (and they have a high opinion of you.)

I've also had holy orders request to build castles in my provinces (when I had an enormous Catholic empire and controlled the Kingdom of Jersualem).

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Dauntasa posted:

They can get their hands on some, though.

Actually, I know that this happens and have seen it, but what does a Mercenary company do with land it seizes to repay debts? I mean, I've never seen a game where they did it and they didn't either have it taken back quickly, or have the game end because they seized the player's territory.

Yeah, if you run out of money, sometimes they immediately quit, sometimes they give you a while to get back in the black and then quit, and sometimes they just get fed up and declare war on you.

It actually unfolded in a very strange way for me-- I was fighting off a Crusade as the Norse king of Sweden and Findland (and Iceland, Karelia, and a bunch of other places) and hired tons of mercenaries, and got to like -400 ducats before one company quit and the other one declared war on me.

Since the mercenaries were closer to the remnants of my main stack than the crusaders, they got me down to -100 warscore first, and most of Sweden besides my ruler's personal demesne (for... some reason) was seized and reformed as the nation of "Rus Company", leaving me with that demesne, Finland, and Denmark. Shortly thereafter, the Crusaders fought be down to -100 and seized the crown of Sweden, so some Hungarian guy got a Swedish rump state consisting of the portions of my demesne that were de jure Swedish, and my primary title switched to Finland.

It sort of rang false that the pope would have let them get away with that, though, so I reloaded a save and surrendered to the pope first, and then to the mercenaries, giving that Hungarian crusader king most of Sweden and the Rus Company a smaller enclave. If I was going to be stomped into the ground mercilessly, then at least it should be in a sensible way.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, if you run out of money, sometimes they immediately quit, sometimes they give you a while to get back in the black and then quit, and sometimes they just get fed up and declare war on you.

Sometimes they can also change allegiance to your enemy.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nightblade posted:

Sometimes they can also change allegiance to your enemy.

And here I thought I'd seen every terrible thing mercenaries could do as the Swedish state went down in flames!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So apparently all the Holy Orders in my game immediately raised their levies and then never put them back down, making them impossible to hire. Had to cheat my way through and order them to stand down.

e: Get a notification that some random courtier is plotting to kill me, backed by the Queen of Sweden, tell her to end the plot, and the game immediately crashes. :tinfoil:

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 19, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I decided to join the crusade for Jerusalem but when I raise my troops and fleets I cannot board my guys on the boats cause they are not big enough.
How can I remedy to this problem?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Le0 posted:

So I decided to join the crusade for Jerusalem but when I raise my troops and fleets I cannot board my guys on the boats cause they are not big enough.

Get more boats or less troops.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rincewind posted:

It actually unfolded in a very strange way for me-- I was fighting off a Crusade as the Norse king of Sweden and Findland (and Iceland, Karelia, and a bunch of other places) and hired tons of mercenaries, and got to like -400 ducats before one company quit and the other one declared war on me.

Since the mercenaries were closer to the remnants of my main stack than the crusaders, they got me down to -100 warscore first, and most of Sweden besides my ruler's personal demesne (for... some reason) was seized and reformed as the nation of "Rus Company", leaving me with that demesne, Finland, and Denmark. Shortly thereafter, the Crusaders fought be down to -100 and seized the crown of Sweden, so some Hungarian guy got a Swedish rump state consisting of the portions of my demesne that were de jure Swedish, and my primary title switched to Finland.

It sort of rang false that the pope would have let them get away with that, though, so I reloaded a save and surrendered to the pope first, and then to the mercenaries, giving that Hungarian crusader king most of Sweden and the Rus Company a smaller enclave. If I was going to be stomped into the ground mercilessly, then at least it should be in a sensible way.

Yeah, I know how they do it and what they do. I was part of the big goon multiplayer game in Byzantium that ended with most of Armenia in the hands of Captain Abak the Terrible. But I don't know what they do with it. That game got reloaded because the Doux of Armenia was a player who was now hosed, I've never lost a war to mercenaries declaring against me and whenever I've seen the AI do it someone else typically comes along and boots them out in short order.

What I'm wondering is, in the event of said mercenary nation managing to seize land and actually hold it for any length of time, what do they do? Do they just hang out? Do they keep selling off their army or do they act like a normal kingdom with Open succession?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Le0 posted:

You can buy mercenary boats (they are quite expensive in upkeep).

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

lenoon posted:

Like Torrannor said, I'm pretty sure it's random. Most of my games I've never had many adventurers leave from my land. But in my current game, it seems like once every couple of months someone sails off to take something. I don't really keep track of them after the message unless they ask for help.

Besides a crazy amount of adventurers in my current game, I've also had my vassals doing the whole prepared invasion thing. I was content as Viking King of the British Isles. My jarls disagreed and now I control most of the dutchies along the coast of France and the Netherlands. And some chunks of northern Spain. I thought my vassals would leave my kingdom from prepared invasions, but so far no.

When playing as pagans, how often do yall get Christian or Muslim rulers sending guys to preach in your land? Once I completed my conquest of the British Isles, I get so drat many that my dungeons are always overflowing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Great when it comes round for blot! It's always handy to have a whole lot of bishops in your dungeons for quick prestige and piety gains. I like the catholic kings handing me extra moral authority!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I have a game where I play a county in Ireland and was wondering what other newb friendly places would be adequate to start from?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Currently playing my first really successful Abyssinia game. The Old Gods start date and allying with the Byzantines really make it much easier. I've just Holy Warred for Cairo, and now I'm eyeing up Alexandria. If I Holy War Alexandria and give the Duchy to the Coptic Pope will he become my Vassal?

It's all the more satisfying because one of my earlier wars, to conquer the easternmost Somalian Duchy, was a complete disaster despite me winning- my starter king got killed in battle, then his awesome son took a blow to the head and became incapable in the very next battle. He died a couple of years later and I had a few very precarious years playing as his child brother. Now the kid's all grown up and beating up everyone with the help of his Greek friends. Everyone should try to resist savescumming, makes for a much more entertaining game than if I had just reloaded to before my first king got killed.

Le0 posted:

So I have a game where I play a county in Ireland and was wondering what other newb friendly places would be adequate to start from?

If you have a reasonable grasp of the mechanics after your Ireland game then pretty much any Viking in the Old Gods start date is easy and fun as hell. Raiding is so powerful.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Le0 posted:

Brittany is a slightly harder but still newbie friendly start. Vikings or Christian Iberia are good if you want to learn about managing wars and defense, HRE vassal is good if you want to learn about intrigue.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Le0 posted:

If you're not bored of the British Isles, some of the Scottish dukes can be good fun. The Dukes of Lothian and Albany for example are very powerful and you can threaten the king without too much trouble. It's also a fairly small kingdom and doesn't really have too many external threats to worry about (At the 1066 start at least - England being far to busy with the Norman invasion etc to bother with you much. An Old Gods start is a lot trickier because you're highly fragmented and tend to get swallowed up by vikings). Good place to learn how to get yourself on a king's throne in a not too challenging setting.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

If you're not bored of the British Isles, some of the Scottish dukes can be good fun. The Dukes of Lothian and Albany for example are very powerful and you can threaten the king without too much trouble. It's also a fairly small kingdom and doesn't really have too many external threats to worry about (At the 1066 start at least - England being far to busy with the Norman invasion etc to bother with you much. An Old Gods start is a lot trickier because you're highly fragmented and tend to get swallowed up by vikings). Good place to learn how to get yourself on a king's throne in a not too challenging setting.

Apulia is generally considered good too, though since they've been added to de jure Byzantine Empire they may be worse now. (That change seriously pisses me off. It may make sense historically, but all the extra Byzantine de jure land just leads them to get way into Croatia, Sicily and Venice way too often.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dauntasa posted:

What I'm wondering is, in the event of said mercenary nation managing to seize land and actually hold it for any length of time, what do they do? Do they just hang out? Do they keep selling off their army or do they act like a normal kingdom with Open succession?

They act like a normal kingdom, but their mercenary band is still available for hire as usual. The only way the two sides interact is that they share a ruler, so the mercenary leader gets cash whenever the band is hired, can be captured in foreign wars, etc...

It's a bit silly and not quite fully implemented, I think.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PleasingFungus posted:

They act like a normal kingdom, but their mercenary band is still available for hire as usual. The only way the two sides interact is that they share a ruler, so the mercenary leader gets cash whenever the band is hired, can be captured in foreign wars, etc...

I don't think this is true. I have captured several leaders of mercenary bands, and none had the gold to pay their random. They don't seem to get gold from being hired, otherwise the captain of the Cuman Band would not have zero money after 20 years in captivity.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

PleasingFungus posted:

Could you theoretically hire a mercenary band to help you in a war against themselves then? That would all kinds of weird/hilarious.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Le0 posted:

I find Hungary to be a great starting point (1066 start). As the king you don't have to worry about outside invader and there are a number of dukes with strong claims you can start as.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I find Hungary to be a great starting point (1066 start). As the king you don't have to worry about outside invader and there are a number of dukes with strong claims you can start as.

Warning: starting to the east of the HRE when you're still new to the game means that you can basically cut 100 years off the end dat since the Mongols will murder you.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I know how they do it and what they do. I was part of the big goon multiplayer game in Byzantium that ended with most of Armenia in the hands of Captain Abak the Terrible. But I don't know what they do with it. That game got reloaded because the Doux of Armenia was a player who was now hosed, I've never lost a war to mercenaries declaring against me and whenever I've seen the AI do it someone else typically comes along and boots them out in short order.

You get such gems as "Second Hat Holy War for Sardinia"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can imagine that. In my current game the Ilkhanate ate the Goldenhorde the very instant it arrived somehow, and now a mega-khanate controls everything from Egypt to Hungary.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

I can imagine that. In my current game the Ilkhanate ate the Goldenhorde the very instant it arrived somehow, and now a mega-khanate controls everything from Egypt to Hungary.

That happened the other way around in my game-- Golden Horde somehow inherited the Ilkhanate, and ruled everything east of Egypt.

Then the Timurids showed up and crushed them. :v:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
In my game the golden horde ate up the ilkhanate and virtually every muslim power except for a couple isolated provinces, they collapsed for good right as the timurids came rolling in.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Is there a mod or way to edit a save file to re arrange where holy sites are located?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
With a 1066 start, the Duke of Lancaster can be a fun start. There's obviously the small problem of 2 large invasions straight off the bat, but if you can hold onto your Duchy, you're arguably the second-most powerful person in England. Which can give you the opportunity to become the most powerful.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

marktheando posted:

If I Holy War Alexandria and give the Duchy to the Coptic Pope will he become my Vassal?

To answer my own question the answer is no. Tempted to cheat to vassalise him, except I can't switch over to play as a theocracy. Oh well.

I guess I need to be an Emperor and also king of Egypt, since it's the old 'small difference in rank' (Coptic pope is a duke level title so even though I just gave him the bishopric of Alexandria initially I had no joy) and 'not my de jure liege' reasons for refusing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Is there a mod or way to edit a save file to re arrange where holy sites are located?

They're stored in common/landed_titles/landed_titles.txt

You can search 'holy_site' to find them.

They don't appear to be stored in the save game(?) so making a mod that changes the location in landed_titles.txt might work.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

marktheando posted:

If you have a reasonable grasp of the mechanics after your Ireland game then pretty much any Viking in the Old Gods start date is easy and fun as hell. Raiding is so powerful.

Speaking of raiding, has anyone else had raiding work for a while and then suddenly switch off, with the tooltip saying the owner of the army isn't allowed to raid? This happened playing the Ironborn in GOT mod, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I thought the game automatically ends at 1453 but my game is still going at 1466... is this something that changed in the old gods or a setting or something?

• Locked thread