Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tender Bender posted:

Oops, I just totally forgot about $75,000.

I loving hate when that happens.

Radish posted:

That homeless guy has never worked or bought anything in his entire life.

Is this sarcasm? I hope so because I bet he has. A lot of homeless people are former veterans for one thing. I'd call fighting in Viet Nam or Iraq "working".

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I loving hate when that happens.

Is this sarcasm? I hope so because I bet he has. A lot of homeless people are former veterans for one thing. I'd call fighting in Viet Nam or Iraq "working".

Many people would be surprised at how many homeless people were once high earners before suffering some sort of disaster. One of the homeless guys I used to hang out with all the time was a former bank exec with a very handsome 6 figure income before his mental illness got the better of him.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Prester John posted:

Many people would be surprised at how many homeless people were once high earners before suffering some sort of disaster. One of the homeless guys I used to hang out with all the time was a former bank exec with a very handsome 6 figure income before his mental illness got the better of him.

Many people would also be surprised to learn that 13%-15% of homeless work full time, turns out most people are only a disaster away.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Linking Wonkette because their headline is funny.

On A Scale Of Peggy Noonan To John Boehner, How Drunk Was Sarah Palin On Megyn Kelly’s Show Last Night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdoFgAccqB0

Palin has a right wing talking points bingo like ten seconds in, but she just keeps going.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

anonumos posted:

I really hate this meme. It is assumed that Grandpa Simpson worked and paid into the SS program. It is NOT a handout.

Some people just don't respect cranberry silo night watchmen.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The way Kelly says, "Really?" just annoys the hell out of me for some reason.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Someone needs to tell Sarah to appear to be a little less giddy when talking about Americans getting murdered in Benghazi. Kind of odd.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Jesus, I just heard the worst thing ever on Hannity. He was playing up his next bit like it was the greatest thing on earth before playing The Who's "Baba O'Reily" from beginning to end with soundbites of Obama reading from his audio book about smoking weed and drinking as a teenager. Since the song is pretty goddamn long, they run out of material about a minute in and just repeat the same soundbites for the rest of the song. There is no attempt to make the soundbites fit the music or play off the lyrics. There's so little that he changed, I'm not even sure it legally qualifies as a parody. For gently caress's sake, every other radio show in the universe can crank out remixes and parody songs like it's nothing, and that's Hannity's go-to material? A soundboard about smoking pot over a popular rock anthem? And what the gently caress does Hannity think The Who were doing back in their golden age? Drinking juice boxes and reading nursery rhymes between gigs? It's like those conservative Facebook image macros that were clearly made in MSPaint and saved as the most compressed JPEG format possible, only in audio form.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Prester John posted:

I agree and I definitely realize that. I wanted to know if the guy I responded to was making a joke or actually being serious. I think he was joking but who can tell?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has anyone watched enough to tell if Fox News has figured out their spin on the shutdown yet?

"We just didn't shut it down HARD ENOUGH now here's Ted Cruz to explain it for you."

:qq: "Obama just wouldn't NEGOTIATE (with our ransom demands)!"

"Obama is a sore winner curse his bones"

"We'll be right back after we take a few weeks to figure out whether we want to ride this Tea Party horse straight into the glue factory. Meanwhile, here's a more sober perspective from John McCain, Jeb Bush and some others!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Sean Hannity played The Who.

I'm glad you brought this up because I just listened to Hannity's show and he was playing "Teenage Wasteland", which struck me as blasphemous. Do any musical artists have a say any more in how their music is used?

It's bad enough that Rush has forever ruined an awesome song like The Pretenders' "Back to Ohio", but I've heard every song on earth being used as theme music, from Prince's "Sign O' the TImes" to Rage Against the Machine's "Sleep Now in the Fire" and then just the other day Herman Cain used a Sly and the Family Stone song that I can't recall (It wasn't "Everyday People" but it was close enough) and that poo poo pisses me off something fierce because these artist wrote these songs from a spirit that runs counter to the entirety of the GOP platform and mindset.

This goes all the way back to Reagan copping Springsteen and James Brown tunes ("Born in the USA", "Living in America") and Republicans totally missing the point of the music they use that I wonder how it's even legal. Next thing you know, Ted Cruz will campaign with "Blowin in the Wind", "If 6 Was 9" or "Maggie's Farm" and I find myself often wondering how they get away with it.

Sorry to rant about music but I like music and hate the GOP pundits co-opting it for their own gain. Chrissie Hynde should be a millionaire alone from what Rush Limbaugh has done with her song.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember that Bruce Hornsby's "The Way It Is" used to be part of Hannity's intro theme way back when. Don't know if it still is.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BiggerBoat posted:

Do any musical artists have a say any more in how their music is used?

I don't remember the legality of when you can or can't use music, but every so often an artist will ask someone to stop using their music, and I think it's generally complied with, because it's a pretty big embarrassment when politicians get called on it in public.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Those dudes don't pick their background music.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Sorry to rant about music but I like music and hate the GOP pundits co-opting it for their own gain. Chrissie Hynde should be a millionaire alone from what Rush Limbaugh has done with her song.

Chrissie Hynde played nice because her parents are Limbaugh fans.

But she did get one thing out of it...

...Rush has to donate money to PETA in order to keep playing the song. :smug:

e: I grew up in the town she talks about in the song. Even went to the Mall growing up , she says about the "Muzak" filling the town.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 18, 2013

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Listerine posted:

I don't remember the legality of when you can or can't use music, but every so often an artist will ask someone to stop using their music, and I think it's generally complied with, because it's a pretty big embarrassment when politicians get called on it in public.

On the other hand, Bruce Springsteen.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
My favourite was Tom Morello's op-ed for Paul Ryan after finding out RATM was somehow one of his favourite bands.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-morello-paul-ryan-is-the-embodiment-of-the-machine-our-music-rages-against-20120816

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm glad you brought this up because I just listened to Hannity's show and he was playing "Teenage Wasteland", which struck me as blasphemous. Do any musical artists have a say any more in how their music is used?

You are talking about the same song. "Baba O'Reilly" is the correct name and people frequently mistakenly call it "Teenage Wasteland".

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Do any musical artists have a say any more in how their music is used?

In some counties they do, under the concept of "moral rights". Basically, you can sue if your works are being used for something you find morally wrong.

The US doesn't really follow that, and the ownership of the music is often more in the hands of the record companies than the artists themselves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So Hannity was going on last night about how Obamacare will raise your premiums.
He was citing this piece by the Heritage foundation.
My question, thread, is how do I respond to this? I know using 27 year-olds is a misleading base for column one because I understand the ACA will raise premiums for young people, but what about the rest? Does it have anything to do with the rejection of the medicare expansion? Are these increases actually decreases when compared against the rise of premiums last year?

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

The Who's "Baba O'Reily"

BiggerBoat posted:

"Teenage Wasteland"

Ferroque posted:

"Baba O'Reilly"
You're ALL WRONG! It's "Baba O'Riley", named after Meher Baba and Terry Riley. But the most important point is this:

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Jesus, I just heard the worst thing ever on Hannity.
You should know by now that there is always more and it is always worse. :negative:

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

HootTheOwl posted:

So Hannity was going on last night about how Obamacare will raise your premiums.
He was citing this piece by the Heritage foundation.
My question, thread, is how do I respond to this? I know using 27 year-olds is a misleading base for column one because I understand the ACA will raise premiums for young people, but what about the rest? Does it have anything to do with the rejection of the medicare expansion? Are these increases actually decreases when compared against the rise of premiums last year?

From what I can tell this: "This comparison is different from others in that, rather than comparing specific plans, it is designed to capture the difference in premium levels between the exchange and what could be acquired in the market." is the key thing here. They aren't comparing plans that cover the same things they are essentially seeing what the cheapest plan is prior to PPACA's roll out in January, and then comparing it to ???? level market exchange plan, I'd guess it's the silver or gold level.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Or Hannity uses a song about domestic abuse as another theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VPpAZ9_qAw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(Martina_McBride_song)

Then again, Martina did perform it at his freedom concerts. That's the country music mindset for you.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

Then again, Martina did perform it at his freedom concerts. That's the country music mindset for you.

Well the government taking your hard earned money, that's like domestic abuse! :colbert:

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I don't know if anyone heard any of Rush's show today but I feel bad for Annie. Rush gave her a pep talk and sent her a copy of his book and her friends are so going to make fun of her when they see her reading it. Take that, libs.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

I don't know if anyone heard any of Rush's show today but I feel bad for Annie. Rush gave her a pep talk and sent her a copy of his book and her friends are so going to make fun of her when they see her reading it. Take that, libs.

I have a pretty strong stomach for this bullshit but I had to change the station when he was peddling that bile to an impressionable child. It stops being amusing and starts just being evil.

"Liberals will just mock and impugn your ideas they won't actually argue with you."
*repeats an Obama quote in a terrible British nobility dialect*
*farts*

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vertical Lime posted:

Jesus Christ! That makes me so loving mad. The only thing I ever knew about that song is that Hannity played it and now I'm just sad. That rear end in a top hat has no right to use that song in the way he does. Now I'm sympathetic to the song and the artist and just loathe Hannity more.

Well Mark Levin was hawking a new book today, his dad's. The whole first hour he just read from a book written by his dad about George Washington. Don't worry though, he got back around to selling his own book during the next two hours.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 19, 2013

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Listened to most of it; the whole segment was abominable. He basically reinforced a conspiratorial, they-are-out-to-get-you Weltanschauung in a highly impressionable 14-year-old girl. Some choice bits:

quote:

In the first place, if your teacher is a common liberal, there is no point of view other than hers -- and no matter what she says, she isn't interested in it. Now, she may use an opposing point of view as a teaching exercise to further establish her own by mocking or making fun of or impugning an opposing point of view.

:ironicat:

quote:

...don't let any of that make you think that what you think is wrong or maybe inferior or abnormal. Don't let anybody make you think that what you think is the minority way of thinking about something, because it isn't. There are more people like you than there are not in the country.

Close your mind, little one, close your mind real tight or something might crawl in.

quote:

I'm telling you, liberals are very close minded, and they're arrogant, and they don't think that there is any other way than theirs.

:ironicat:

quote:

You probably many times will offer an analysis of something you saw in the news that she hasn't thought of before. You are probably going to be far more well-rounded in your knowledge about current events than she is. When she realizes that she's gonna feel threatened, and then she'll strike out even more.

You know more than the teacher. Her challenging you in any way is proof of this!

quote:

...and, by the way, Annie, she has been taught, where she went to school, how to do this [indoctrinate]. The liberals have taken over and monopolized the education system. They learn how to indoctrinate and propagandize students whose minds are young and fluid, not made up on things and very impressionable, and it's gonna be hard on you to stay true to what you believe because you're not getting any support from the one person in the classroom you want to get it from: The teacher.

The great enemy is in your school...all around you...watch out watch out watch out or they will GET YOU.

quote:

It's sad. Now, I could be wrong. She may not be exactly as I'm describing it. She might be a little bit different, but time will tell.

After spewing all this in the standard authoritative & certain Rush tone, he of course offers his obligatory loving "cover my rear end" hedge.

quote:

That will always help you as you go through life, knowing what you're dealing with, who you're dealing with.... If she makes some outrageous, outlandish claim that you either disagree with or that you think is just mean-spirited, say, "Well, can you give me some evidence of that, Ms. So-and-So? How do you know that?"

Only do this to liberals, of course!

quote:

Never lose the confidence of what you believe. Never. 'Cause if it's in your heart and if it's in your soul, it's who you are. Don't let somebody talk you out of being you. You know, hold on to your confidence and understand that your parents, your family have given you a foundation here. They love you. Don't let the teacher chip away at that. Don't let 'em insult your parents. I don't know that any this will happen, but I know liberals. I know how they attempt this. They're not interested, Annie, in winning arguments or winning debates.

NEVER change your mind, because doing so would be to change who you "are." Your parents love you, and the teacher might go after them too.

quote:

ANNIE: Okay, I will, because our family, we're all super... Well, not "super." We're, like, moderate conservative, but my parents are Republicans, and my grandma is very conservative as well. So it's just hard coming from that environment and going into whole new one.

RUSH: Well, I know, and I tell you, Annie, in many places you're gonna be considered the enemy.

gently caress YOU.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/10/18/advice_for_a_14_year_old_on_how_to_deal_with_a_liberal_high_school_teacher

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Michael Savage is currently gushing over the growing fascist movement in Greece.

He says people only think they are fascists because the liberal Greek media is smearing them.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Michael Savage is currently gushing over the growing fascist movement in Greece.

He says people only think they are fascists because the liberal Greek media is smearing them.

So all the direct and indirect Nazi imagery Golden Dawn slathers itself in is being added in post production?

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013

That's obviously a Roman salute, not a Nazi one! Typical liberals, making up accusations of racism where none exists. :smug:

And that Celtic cross flag is obviously meant to represent crosshairs, an inspiring symbol of the right to bear arms. Molon labe! :freep:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

radical meme posted:

Well Mark Levin was hawking a new book today, his dad's. The whole first hour he just read from a book written by his dad about George Washington. Don't worry though, he got back around to selling his own book during the next two hours.

You know, I never listened to Mark Levin until I found this awesome right-wing internet radio station a few days ago. I spend (what felt like) two hours listening to his show, and goddamn. At several points he was calling for violent action against the US government, which I had assumed was as illegal as yelling "I have a bomb!" on an airplane.

He also hilariously segued from literally screaming into the mic to doing a commercial for Goldline. He should listen to Beck for some tips, he's the Picasso of weaving that bullshit directly into what he's talking about. I actually respect that about Beck in a weird way. He's an artist with poo poo.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BUSH 2112 posted:

You know, I never listened to Mark Levin until I found this awesome right-wing internet radio station a few days ago. I spend (what felt like) two hours listening to his show, and goddamn. At several points he was calling for violent action against the US government, which I had assumed was as illegal as yelling "I have a bomb!" on an airplane.

He also hilariously segued from literally screaming into the mic to doing a commercial for Goldline. He should listen to Beck for some tips, he's the Picasso of weaving that bullshit directly into what he's talking about. I actually respect that about Beck in a weird way. He's an artist with poo poo.

It is an awful lot like treason, which ironically is spelled out specifically in the constitution (the only crime defined in it):

the motherfukin' constitution posted:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

So he isn't actually levying war against the US nor is he helping anyone who is, so he is fine, no treason.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I like how before he went on another Obamacare tirade, O'Reilly had to start his segment with "what's with this stupid fox music video!!" referring to the Ylvis song. At this point, I'm not sure if he's trying to appeal to younger audiences or repel them.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Good lord. Are we finally at the point where these guys are promoting honest-to-god fascists?

I'd love to hear his explanation as to how the loving Golden Dawn isn't a fascist organization.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Good lord. Are we finally at the point where these guys are promoting honest-to-god fascists?

I'd love to hear his explanation as to how the loving Golden Dawn isn't a fascist organization.

Greece is the great democracy upon which the Founders™ based the Constitution™, therefore Golden Dawn is merely a democratic party exercising it's Free Speech Rights™ of protest, against the Government That Has Failed The People™ and-

- you know what, I really, really wish a meteor would crush Fox out of existence. I don't care what springs up in its place at this point. :smith:
I mean, is there anything they won't spin into a story about how (Democratic Party) government is evil/incompetent/corrupt/rife with cronyism, with the great Satan Obama leading America and the Republic on a one-way trip to islamo-socialism?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 19, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Not the best horse to back, given that they're finally being taken down by the Greece government after being ignored and/or sheltered by the police until a prominent left wing activist was murdered in the street by Golden Dawn members finally taking that last step from "violence against foreigners," which most Greeks considered acceptable, to "violence against Greeks we don't like" which suddenly turned public opinion against them.

And does Savage think the video of the Golden Dawn MP violently attacking a female MP he disagreed with was faked?

I honestly wonder if any of the ardent right wingers would really care if people's rights started being revoked as long as their guy was the one doing it.

Glenn Beck is the only one who would lose his poo poo. When that kid tried to blow up the van in Times Square the Fox News panel he was on supported the idea of revoking the kid's citizenship and Glenn Beck took a hard line about citizens being citizens no matter what and you never abridge those fundamental rights.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

To be fair Savage is the only one of these stupid assholes who is that crazy. The segment was about how what America needs to "get back on the right path" is a Nationalist party and look at all the good it is doing them having one in Greece.

He stressed that it has nothing to do with race and it is about "language, culture, and borders" which totally isn't any sort of dogwhistle for anything.

Yes, a Jewish man said all this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I worked in a gas station for a year or so way back, and a woman would come in every day. She would park her car sometime between 5:20 and 5:29, then nod and frown simultaneously until 5:30, then come inside and buy a beer. Once she told me that she felt sorry for me, being currently the most oppressed singular group in the US today (white males). She asked me if I knew Savage, and it all clicked.

My manager was an Ethiopian immigrant and we would listen to Sam Cooke and NPR together, I think I had either heavy blues or All Things Considered blaring when she would walk in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr Christmas posted:

Shep Smith is the guy in a Lovecraft slowly being driven to madness by the horror he cannot escape.

Slowly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Yy4SfJksU

Shep is not a shill, not by any possible stretch of the imagination. But he's either gone insane, or just enjoys loving with people.