Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kastein posted:

Well last night I thrashed it hard on some dirt roads until I snagged a rock wrong or something and tore the muffler off. Just kept going, it'd been hanging low for a while and was beat to hell anyways. Couldn't find it when I doubled back and went looking.

That was fun as hell. Too bad the Quantum poo poo the bed and we had to turn around. Next time we'll have to do it in the daylight so I can record it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

There's a huge debate, but there's no real argument in favor of carbs other than "I grew up with them and understand them better".

Both carbs and EFI systems have had some horrendously crappy implementations on various engines. Disregarding those and looking only at the decently-engineered stuff, EFI is vastly superior, especially with direct injection. But even without DI you can make more power with EFI, it automatically compensates for altitude, it's a lot more reliable, emissions are much lower, fuel milage is higher. You can even change between different tuning profiles for higher/lower-octane gas at the push of a button. Everything carbs can do, EFI can do better.

The only advantages to carbs are that they look "old school" and in some cases you can fix them with a hammer and a rubber band.

gently caress carbs. gently caress them forever. I love the apparent simplicity of them, relying on nothing but the laws of physics to feed your engine, but in reality they're complicated pieces of poo poo that wear out and are needlessly finicky.

I agree EFI is better in terms of economy, reliability, power and simplicity. It's the hammer and rubber band bit I like. I've had both systems poo poo the bed in less than ideal conditions. With EFI it's "Welp I'm hosed". With carbs I can usually finagle them enough to get home.
I actually tried to get hold of the EFI bits from a friend's Niva that he's getting rid of but he said it's more than he can reasonably do, so fair enough.

The only reason most carbs are the way they are is that old monster of patent protection. There were some really nice designs out there that were locked up by patents and never really improved. Then there was the whole lovely thing that happened with Fish carburettors, which is a real shame because they are a really clever design and I've always wanted to get my hands on a minnow fish but they are practically made from unobtainium.

Anyway I did stuff yesterday. Took the Niva for its longest drive yet. A bit over 200km. It did well. There seems to be a mystery liquid dripping from underneath that needs to be investigated, but no real issues. Cooling system is still seemingly leak free. The overflow tank was down a bit but it's possible there was still air in the system from the last radiator repair.

I also went to supercrap and got a pair of cheap seat covers. Black fuzzy sacks seat covers. Marginally better than black vinyl. The grey ones look like poo poo.

There's a dining chair cushion tied to under the passenger one. My other half was experiencing an issue with the seats that I have perceived too. They are too low. In her case that puts the seat belt too high and her legs too far forward. Just the cushion corrected the position enough to fix everything. Rough solution but it works for now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a truck, i should really start using it again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

I have a truck, i should really start using it again.

That seems to be doing the job fine, but chuck a tarp or a sheet or something down for the sake of your upholstery!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Got a day off and this happened.

all for this loving set screw.

It just loosened itself just far enough so the heater blower wouldn't blow hot air. the screw is so loctited in there now, a small army will have to disassemble it.

I would not wish dash removal upon my worst enemy.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 17, 2013

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Washed, clayed and waxed the rx-7 today.
Complained to anyone and everyone nearby about the real-world struggle of waxing a white car.

DID I BUFF IT OUT YET? NOPE I SEE A STREAK IF I LOOK FROM THIS EXACT ANGLE WHILE ON MY HEAD" :shepicide:

Then proceeded to find a substantial wetspot under the passenger seat carpeting. Great...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Finished the tentative UHF CB install in the Niva. The power cable that arrived was close but not quite right so I had to whittle the plug a bit to make it fit. If it can receive and send properly I'll get a nice gutter or roof rack bracket, run the new wire and do a proper setup instead of the recycled AM cable with an elevated feed and 1/4 wave whip bolted to the bumper.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Not so much what I did, but whoo!

No more rusty car. It was interesting watching them haul the shell up with no tow points. ended up looping it around the shock towers and they probably bent in 4 inches.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Yeah.

That rattle/clanking I've been trying to track down?

YouTube footage, facebook post, forum posts, bought intercooler mounting bracketry, tore apart the RH side of my engine bay zip ties out the rear end?

I hadn't actually checked my passenger side cubby.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I gave it an oil change, washed with Dawn, and waxed it in preparation...Winter is coming. (Michigan :v: ) Also I removed the badges on the hatch but will have to polish out some tiny scratches from trying to pick off the adhesive next spring. I like the look of it better now. I just did the vinyl on the bow ties this week, too.

Front and back, side to side.

Oh, and added a digit to the odometer.

Next up I'm going to plastidip the chrome trim on the doors and install some RA mud flaps in hopes to protect the sides from the wintery mess that's sure to be coating it soon. I tried to install these Lamix-x door handle protector things, but they were too big and looked terrible. I'm going to see if I can get a refund or see if I was sent the wrong ones by mistake.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks so much better with the badge blacked out. That's the one thing that is just glaringly bad about current Chevys -- those damned gold badges look horrendous.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It does look much better. It doesn't help that the badge keeps getting bigger. By 2025 I think the front of the car will be shaped like a Chevy badge.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Incredible how much blacking out the bowtie helps. The gold bowtie is tacky as gently caress, and the black really classes it up.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Galler posted:

It does look much better. It doesn't help that the badge keeps getting bigger. By 2025 I think the front of the car will be shaped like a Chevy badge.

Really wish I had a picture of a local ricer whose mr2 front bumper has a Toyota logo cutout out that is a minimum of 12" high.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Looks so much better with the badge blacked out. That's the one thing that is just glaringly bad about current Chevys -- those damned gold badges look horrendous.

It really sucks that they won't change it. gently caress, go back to to blue at least.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Put the gas tank back in, the rubber hose for the fuel filler neck I had left over from the auxillary tank is too small. Who would have guessed they were different sizes? Answer: anyone who was smart enough to check before starting.

Either way, got it mounted, and strapped in with a TEK screw :(. I think I'll tap a small piece of steel and weld it to the body for a proper mounting point tomorrow.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Larrymer posted:

Front and back, side to side.

Did you black out the chrome in the headlights, or do the newer ones come that way? My boyfriend has a 2009 Aveo, and there's so much goddamn chrome everywhere.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

That looks a lot better. One of the first things I did to my SS/SC was buy blacked out OEM style headlights and PlastiDip my bowtie entirely black.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So my aircon speed has been busted in my car for oh, just over 3 years now. It's been full speed or nothing at all so I've been regulating the temperature with the temperature slider so it doesn't get loving freezing in summer.

I finally found a fan controller resistor for my car and replaced it.

Yup that's definitely fried.

In with the new.

Into this slot.

That is right up against the firewall. It also requires the worlds smallest screw driver to get the back screw off. Did i have that? Did i gently caress.

That last screw did not go back in, it's somewhere in the middle of my bin now.

On the bright side, at least my car is no longer an Arctic wonderland, the bad side, having to use the aircon on full blast seems to have killed the clutch in the ac compressor. Every time the compressor kicks in it groans like hell.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Some free time today meant installing these new RallyArmor mudflaps and giving the ST a fresh wash all over.

Get hosed, gravel road. :argh:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I figure tyhis is probably a good place to post my project. I posted this on ozfoz, figured I'd crosspost.
I bought a 2001 Forester GT at 150,000kms stock as a rock with plenty of work to do.

First thing I did was put it in for a 50k service. Was informed I would need a new power steering rack and new shocks at the front but no engine oil leaks which was good news. Apparently it hadn't had an easy life but I intend to change that.
Here's the mods in the order that I did them:

1) Sound system!
*Pioneer DVD player
*Alpine Type R 6" speakers in the front. SPR-60
*12" Pioneer subwoofer. 400w RMS
*Fusion amp
*Removed the speakers in the back
(Against all safety advice) I velcro'd the subwoofer down as I knew I would be moving soon and I wanted it easily movable.
Total cost: $$1000. I already had the subwoofer from a previous car.

2) Blow off valve!
*GFB Bovus Maximus BOV
Most people dislike the MMMMSHHHH noise but I love it.
Total cost: $$120 (or so)

3) Wheels!
*2003 WRX rims
The load rating isn't legal but they're the best looking Subaru rims in my opinion.
Total cost: $$270.

Before:

After:

4) Exhaust!
*3 inch catback system
*4 inch tip (I think its 4)
Nothing special to report here. I won't be getting a tune for a while so I just went with a catback system. It has that deep boxer rumble so thats what I mainly wanted.
Total cost: $$600.

5) Suspension!
*2003 WRX suspension
Still not firm enough for my liking but still a huge difference compared to leaky soft shocks that came with it.
Total cost: $$250.

Before:

After:

6) Tint!
*Tint-a-car Octane
The tint it came with was peeling so I had it replaced. Duh.
Total cost: $$350

Before:

After:

7) Brakes!
*DBA4000 front rotors
*DBA4000 back rotors
*Bendix Ultimate brake pads
I have a friend of a friend who owns a brake shop and I got a good deal on these.
Total cost: $$700.

8) Tyres!
*Kumho ecsta XS KU36 semi-slick tyres
Bob Jane (ugh I know....) did me a sick deal on these and they grip pretty drat well in this hot weather.
Total price: $$600

9) Steering!
I've replaced the power steering rack and put in the polyurethane bushings instead of rubber ones to tighten up the steering (as per blackduck's suggestion).
Total cost: Rack $$100, bushings $$40

So total I've spent so far is 4050 (not counting mechanical maintenance). I'm very happy with how its turned out. I feel its pretty tasteful (except the BOV :P) and I'm very happy with how it handles. The shocks could be a bit firmer but its a good compromise.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Workin' on my old broken poo poo!

Previously:

Pulled the bed off

Trailer lights + alligator clips + spring clamps + cardboard = legal? Maybe. Cardboard fell off anyhow. Was worth a shot.

I also knocked all kinds of dried cruft out of the frame rails while I was in there. I'd say you wouldn't believe how much crud fell out, but I think you would.
I took it to the frame shop and they said there is no serious damage! :woop:

Today:

Fuckin' finally!

Whoa almost there

Bam. You can see why they call them small blocks. Certainly enough room for more go, but this is more than I wanted to spend already!

While I was in there, I noticed that the TH350 was kind of... not attached to anything. Is it supposed to be actually connected there? (this is when held up by a jack, it usually sits on its pad there) Sorry about the lousy photo. And the oil everywhere.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Nierbo posted:

8) Tyres!
*Kumho ecsta XS KU36 semi-slick tyres
Bob Jane (ugh I know....) did me a sick deal on these and they grip pretty drat well in this hot weather.
Total price: $$600

That's a crazy price for them, I paid around $200 a corner for my KU-31's a year and a half ago, what a steal!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Those wheels I scored for dirt cheap on the last page?

Decided I'd rather go for the OEM look and repaint the wheels a light silver metallic, including the machined parts.

Stripped the crazed lacquer off, cleaned, sanded, prepped and SLS etch primed the first one.

I don't think this is going to need any high build, the finish on the etch primer looks good enough to topcoat after a wipedown.

Edit: And after a mist coat, 10 minutes to flash off, and full coat of the metallic silver:

Compared to the unpainted wheels behind, they look better than new... Unfortunately the nozzle broke off the rattlecan of topcoat and blew a couple of blobs onto the rim in the process, so I'll have to gently sand and feather them flat so they aren't visible under the next coat. After that, two coats of clear, and a polish, and they should be looking OEM-spec in no time.

fingerling posted:

They look super close to RPF1s. Sounds good though! :)

Sweet! Imitation Japanese wheels for my imitation Japanese car!

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 20, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ran my first full tank through the car since it got new plugs + new throttle body gasket + cleaned the throttle body.

Previously, I averaged 19-22 mpg doing delivery. My best tank ever was 26 mpg, 90% of that was highway (driving to southern Oklahoma and back).

Filled up before work. Worked out to 23.98 mpg. :stare:

After work, I was thinking my fuel sender was sticking - there's no way I only used 1/4 tank for a closing delivery shift... on a Saturday, at that. So I filled up again.

27.46 mpg. :stonk:

It's a lot colder than it was last week, so I'm not running the a/c - but even when I first got the car (in January), I never saw more than 23 doing delivery. I've never gotten more than 25 aside from that one tank to/from Oklahoma, actually.

I'm going to guess either the old TB gasket was leaking for quite awhile, or the ECU had learned something it shouldn't have. The old plugs were pretty worn, but not anywhere near "OMFG HOW DOES IT EVEN RUN?" territory. The engine runs completely different since I did the above work - much more responsive in general, got rid of a ~2500 rpm hesitation, got rid of the idle issues entirely.

We'll see if this is a fluke or not tomorrow, but I filled up at the same pump, at the same gas station, both times today, and the gauge was pegged on full when I left the station. Pretty sure we've switched to winter formulation by now, which usually knocks 1-2 mpg off.

Puddin posted:

On the bright side, at least my car is no longer an Arctic wonderland, the bad side, having to use the aircon on full blast seems to have killed the clutch in the ac compressor. Every time the compressor kicks in it groans like hell.

The clutch shouldn't be able to "groan", it's usually on/off (when they fail they usually just stop engaging; when they're failing they might need a tap to engage the first time, or might make a loud clunk when engaging). And running the fan on full blast shouldn't affect the clutch - if anything, it would probably cycle a little less.

Motronic can probably add more.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 20, 2013

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

some texas redneck posted:

The clutch shouldn't be able to "groan", it's usually on/off (when they fail they usually just stop engaging; when they're failing they might need a tap to engage the first time, or might make a loud clunk when engaging). And running the fan on full blast shouldn't affect the clutch - if anything, it would probably cycle a little less.

Motronic can probably add more.

Fair enough, I was just thinking out loud, gonna get someone to have a look at it anyway, maybe the compressor is on the way out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

goatse guy posted:

Did you black out the chrome in the headlights, or do the newer ones come that way? My boyfriend has a 2009 Aveo, and there's so much goddamn chrome everywhere.

Nope, the headlights and taillights are stock but still have a chrome ring around them. I think I'll leave them though. They don't really bother me.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Nice weekend in the Northeast... Got to it!

One of these is not like the other - plasti-dipped my snow wheels (sorry to the grass):

Wonder how long this magic potion will last?

Then, to figure out why the Alfa is running hot, dropped in a new t-start which only took 3 hours (including gasket sealant run)

Turns out this bonds itself to... itself after 5 years of sitting:

Screw you old gaskets:

Ready to roll, almost:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Past few days.
Put a dining chair cushion under the drivers seat cover in the Niva, It changed driving position how I expected, if not a little more dramatically. I always felt the seats were too low.
Filled the steering box. Or at least put roughly the listed amount in with a syringe, 10mL at a time. I think it was empty.

Replaced the brake booster hose and blanked off the EGR a couple of days ago because the engine really messed up on Friday. It did the trick. Also found the right illustration to give me a hint how the EGR works. Either they did massive revisions or like every used car ever all the vacuum hoses are wrong. For gently caress sake. The thermo vacuum switch I think the EGR is meant to be attached to is broken anyway and needs to be replaced. No idea what the electric vacuum switch is for that the EGR is actually attached to. It's definitely OE at least.
Clocked up about half as many km in it this week as the rest of the time it's been registered.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Bought set my old rover on fire..... but by my own doing! I was cramming wires back in and scraped it along a metal frame. Connected the battery and a cabin full of smoke! Luckily it was an easy wire to fix. Now things are happy!

But got the dash all back together! Heater works, plan on doing the AC in the spring.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What's with near fires today?

I put some gas in my refurbished tank and hosed everything all up.

First observation - a half tank reads as a quarter tank, so clearly I have increased resistance in the system as a whole to look into. (Full tank is 10ohms, empty is like 78 ohms).

Second observation - the cab smelled like gas sometime after switching tanks. I opened the hood (after a short drive wherein I got gas, then switched over, then stopped at the grocer, then drove home), checked out my fuel filter (looks good), then notice gas is spewing forth from the carb.

Probably some small sediment got through and blocked my needle, forcing gas through the gaskets. I said "oh gently caress" and shut the key off right away so I didn't get to determine where the gas came from. Looks like I have a half rebuild of the carb in my future, and maybe daisy chaining some fuel filters before next time. I nearly started it up again but decided the risk of fire was too great, and I've got all the gaskets anyway.

Question: Anyone have a recommendation for a very restrictive fuel filter? Apparently my fuel pump has adequate pressure :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Removed the bullshit piece of poo poo JVC headunit and plopped in a stock discovery II alpine unit.

Then added Ipod control.

Looks decent and sounds a thousand times better.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Put new leaf springs and shackles in the truck.

One side had a broken leaf which prompted the replacement.

Now i just need to seal up some exhaust leaks and I'll be ready to pass inspection. :woop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Insured the new Miata, plasti-dipped the MS6's winter wheels. Snow is expected tomorrow so I'll be swapping those over after work.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Last week.

Replaced my MR2's celica ST205 ECU with a proper MR2 ecu.

No check engine lights at all now! Yey!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I put my snow tires on, just in time for more snow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

While I was in there, I noticed that the TH350 was kind of... not attached to anything. Is it supposed to be actually connected there? (this is when held up by a jack, it usually sits on its pad there) Sorry about the lousy photo. And the oil everywhere.

:stare: Yeah, that is a broken mount. Probably rotted due to all of that oil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

I put my snow tires on, just in time for more snow.

I'm planning on doing that tonight.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Sprayed a caliper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Turning a corner I've turned like 5 billion times, and hit a gutter at about 20km and hosed up my steering. Too dark to check it out, but it drives true just with the wheel slightly off centre to the right.

:sassargh: