Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ded posted:

How would a 'friendly' (there are no friendly surface contacts) ship ever see us if we didn't want them to?

Active sonar? SOSUS line (is it still in operation?), visually in littoral waters, lucky sonarbuoy (do surface groups drop this in the normal course of just chillin somewhere?), mechanical failure? mast sighting on radar?

edit: MAD detection. :v: I have no clue what fascinates me about this field...

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
There was an interesting derail about ship armor and torpedoes in the armor thread earlier this summer, complete with Mk48s blowing destroyers in half: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490942&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't fish off the sub but we had guys who did. That's really an in-port thing, though. If you've been running slow and shallow in warmer waters you get a 'grass skirt' which is a lot of plant life growing off the sides, and wildlife love it.
When we were tied up in Panama, the ship's flood lights would attract tarpon at night. There's no way in hell I'd try to catch one with a regular rod and reel, though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
why can't the mk50 attack surface targets?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It is very difficult for 'friendly' surface ships to acquire and track a modern US submarine, even when surfaced, and even when the sub is actively trying to get them to (to avoid collisions or rendezvous for supplies.)

Regarding the mk 50, keep in mind the warhead on a mk 48 is bigger than the entire mk 50 torpedo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

It is very difficult for 'friendly' surface ships to acquire and track a modern US submarine, even when surfaced, and even when the sub is actively trying to get them to (to avoid collisions or rendezvous for supplies.)

Regarding the mk 50, keep in mind the warhead on a mk 48 is bigger than the entire mk 50 torpedo.

I guess when they called it "Lightweight" they wern't joking around. Thanks!

Can other subs reliably follow and track modern US subs?

Edit: I could see this being really OPSEC and such...

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 19, 2013

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What kind of (if any) small arms do regualar navy submarine dudes carry in the sub? I'm assuming there's a weapons locker and you have some people assigned as armed guards while docked in random third world countries, is that true? What's the protocol if the sub just gets bum rushed by an angry mob or something?

I apologize in advance if this is the most retarded civilian question ever.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When you play games with other submarines, there are a lot of precautions that are supposed to keep the subs from straight up colliding with each other, and yet that remains a distinct possibility. Your own location and direction of movement, let alone the location and identity of things around you, are considerably more vague than movies lead people to think. It's not just a modern stealth thing, even when dealing with noisy surface craft the imprecision of even the best-trained and highest-tech trackers in the world mean a distinctly non-zero chance of getting run over.

Can't really talk about force protection stuff but I qualified the same pistol/rifle/shotgun (or failed to, I'm an abysmal shot) as the rest of the Navy. Generally if there was the slightest risk of some sort of trouble we would just not pull in at all; the Navy is very risk averse with nuclear warships and it's not like we need to pull in for fuel.

To perhaps better illustrate why tracking even on the surface is a hassle, here's a pic of my boat tied up alongside an OHP frigate.

An OHP is not a big ship by any means. By displacement we're almost twice the size of the grey hull, yet the amount above water is minuscule especially when moving amongst the waves. That's in the flat water of a bay, when moving through rougher seas it's even worse.

E: and another:

As you can see, the profile of a surfaced attack sub really isn't that much more than a common tugboat.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 19, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pryor on Fire posted:

What kind of (if any) small arms do regualar navy submarine dudes carry in the sub? I'm assuming there's a weapons locker and you have some people assigned as armed guards while docked in random third world countries, is that true? What's the protocol if the sub just gets bum rushed by an angry mob or something?

I apologize in advance if this is the most retarded civilian question ever.

The old 637 boats had some m-14s, 1911 pistols, and a few shotguns. 688 boats have m16s, a few shotguns and some 9mm berretas (my boat switched from 1911 to the 9mm around 97). The seawolf & virginias I have no idea.

When in port it is standard to have 2 armed guards topside at all times. If the boat was to get 'rushed' by an angry mob you could simply close the hatches. Not alot anyone can do after that to hurt the boat or those inside it.

Baloogan posted:

Active sonar? SOSUS line (is it still in operation?), visually in littoral waters, lucky sonarbuoy (do surface groups drop this in the normal course of just chillin somewhere?), mechanical failure? mast sighting on radar?

edit: MAD detection. :v: I have no clue what fascinates me about this field...

Active sonar is very difficult to use effectively against a sub. There are many tricks to minimize your return against it.

Visual acquisition in very clear waters is possibly the biggest way to be found. But the light only goes so deep.

SOSUS is most likely still in use and is still something that can't really be talked about.

Anyways like I said, it is very difficult for a surface boat to actually find one of our subs if they don't want to be found.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've heard that the youngest American museum sub is a diesel-electric in Portland, is that ever likely to change or are nuclear boats always just too expensive/classified to safely open up for visitors?

Not the real FBI
Oct 20, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Pryor on Fire posted:

What kind of (if any) small arms do regualar navy submarine dudes carry in the sub?

they have a fetish for shotguns apparently watch training day it was written by this man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_ayer

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've heard that the youngest American museum sub is a diesel-electric in Portland, is that ever likely to change or are nuclear boats always just too expensive/classified to safely open up for visitors?

The USS Nautilus is a museum ship these days, but only party of it is open to visitors.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The engine room will most likely always be off limits due to classification and nuke regulations would most likely require a TLD of some sort.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Everyone on a nuclear sub gets TLD.

Nuclear boats do get their reactor pulled out like you are cutting a sausage. I'm sure civies could go visit one of those. Most of the stuff is 1970s tech anyways.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When a nuke boat is decommissioned it's easiest to just slice the entire reactor compartment out and stick it in the desert.

You could keep the forward compartment (with reasonable removal of classified stuff) but it'd have to be pulled out of the water, obviously. For museum ships they remove all the extra damage control equipment, weapons, storage boxes etc so it'd probably seem a good bit roomier than when active.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The entire engine room is a special kind of classified, and it'll probably never be available to the general public. There's really nothing in there that would be of interest to people. It's just tight spaces, pipes, valves, and other metal poo poo for dumb kids to hurt themselves on.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Think of the fun everyone could have when timmy drops his toy down a bilge.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Sorry for the hiatus; was enjoying EVE Vegas with the goons.

ded posted:

Think of the fun everyone could have when timmy drops his toy down a bilge.

"So, please explain Admiral, how Scuba Steve was made into RAM."

Not too far from feasible though; we had a nuke who was playing with GI Joe action figures on watch. He got caught trying to fish it out of ERF bilge after the CO did angles. GREAT mast.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

grover posted:

There was an interesting derail about ship armor and torpedoes in the armor thread earlier this summer, complete with Mk48s blowing destroyers in half: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490942&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

That was a cool discussion, thanks dude!

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Sacrilage posted:

Sorry for the hiatus; was enjoying EVE Vegas with the goons.

shame this man

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

ded posted:

The engine room will most likely always be off limits due to classification and nuke regulations would most likely require a TLD of some sort.

I'm pretty sure the Nautilus doesn't do tours of the aft compartments due to those concerns; not sure if that's just a public idiocy kind of thing, to prevent Joe from claiming his lung cancer was caused by visiting, or if they have legitimate concerns about the residual radiation levels.

Mad Dragon posted:

The entire engine room is a special kind of classified, and it'll probably never be available to the general public. There's really nothing in there that would be of interest to people. It's just tight spaces, pipes, valves, and other metal poo poo for dumb kids to hurt themselves on.

I can just imagine some kid getting lost in the Bear Cave and never being seen from again.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 22, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Interesting little post on tradition in the Navy:

Death of Tradition

While I think there are some traditions that are worth keeping (crossing the line, etc), I think his argument that all traditions are good is asinine.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've been drinking (heavily) but I just want to say as a very inrested civilian: wwhat you submariners do every day is so ... overwhelming for me; literally nuclear reactor powered silent machines shooting underneath the sea either tracking other hostiles to kill (attack subs) or being a literal mobile invisible missile silo (ballistic missile subs) making sure that if anyone sneak attacks us we gonna get vengance which prevents anyone frpom thinking they can take us out. Its like a science fiction book... its tough to fully complrehend.

thanks so much for awnsering my questions

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
No problem, Comrade.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Glad to man; it's nice to talk about all the cool things that most people don't get to see.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Sacrilage posted:

Interesting little post on tradition in the Navy:

Death of Tradition

While I think there are some traditions that are worth keeping (crossing the line, etc), I think his argument that all traditions are good is asinine.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Tradition for tradition's sake is a ridiculous idea, when it involves shoving somebody's face into a urinals.
In that thought of line, one might argue segregation should continue in the Navy as well as it was the case nearly a century ago.
Physically abusing a shipmate in the name of tradition is stupid.

By the way, do you guys have any good sanitary tank catastrophe stories?
Even some KOG stories would be perfect to hear, however most goons are way younger to have personally experienced the honor of being in attendance of KOG himself.

almighty fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 25, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

almighty posted:

I wholeheartedly agree.
Tradition for tradition's sake is a ridiculous idea, when it involves shoving somebody's face into a urinals.
In that thought of line, one might argue segregation should continue in the Navy as well as it was the case nearly a century ago.
Physically abusing a shipmate in the name of tradition is stupid.

Even some KOG stories would be perfect to hear, however most goons are way younger to have personally experienced the honor of being in attendance of KOG himself.

Had an a-ganger gently caress up the lineup for a sans blow in port. Made a mess in the LL head. After that they were only allowed to pump in port.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I think every boat has the story of the germophobic JO conning from the sail in his finest whites and the A-gangers loving up the lineup and blasting sans out the front, right into the wind.

We had A-gangers that would snack on leftovers in the drain pump strainers. One of our more artistic ones issued periodic comic strips about his adventures in the magical kingdom in our san tanks.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We had a nub open the flush valve on the shitter during a blow. Pretty sure there's a NAVSEA instruction that requires that to happen at least once per quarter.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
For those who don't get this, sans are what they sound like - brown water (poop and pee.) A submarine toilet (someone else may post a pic) is a glorified outhouse seat that dumps your dumps into this tank, with a hand lever that opens \ shuts a ball valve at the bottom, and a hand valve to spray some seawater into the bowl to keep everything clean. Flushing a sub toilet is a careful motion of opening and closing the bottom ball flush and the seawater rinse, keeping a water seal to avoid a faceblast of stinkygas, avoiding overfilling so it doesn't slosh out if the boat rocks, and of course avoiding undue noise.

Now there are two ways of getting this stuff out of the ship. There are pumps to squirt it out the side, to the delight of local sealife, but they're slow and only work at or near the surface, as they can't pump against much sea pressure. The alternative is to seal up the system, pressurize the tanks, and then open them to the sea and let the pressure shove everything out very quickly.

While this second method is in progress, the guys running the evolution hang huge, unavoidable signs on the shitters reading something like SAN TANK BLOW IN PROGRESS - DO NOT OPEN FLUSH VALVE!!!! Inevitably people will still, out of drowsy habit or stunning incompetence, push the signs out of the way, do their business, try to flush, and get a several-hundred-psi stream of doodoo to the face.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

For those who don't get this, sans are what they sound like - brown water (poop and pee.) A submarine toilet (someone else may post a pic) is a glorified outhouse seat that dumps your dumps into this tank, with a hand lever that opens \ shuts a ball valve at the bottom, and a hand valve to spray some seawater into the bowl to keep everything clean. Flushing a sub toilet is a careful motion of opening and closing the bottom ball flush and the seawater rinse, keeping a water seal to avoid a faceblast of stinkygas, avoiding overfilling so it doesn't slosh out if the boat rocks, and of course avoiding undue noise.

Now there are two ways of getting this stuff out of the ship. There are pumps to squirt it out the side, to the delight of local sealife, but they're slow and only work at or near the surface, as they can't pump against much sea pressure. The alternative is to seal up the system, pressurize the tanks, and then open them to the sea and let the pressure shove everything out very quickly.

While this second method is in progress, the guys running the evolution hang huge, unavoidable signs on the shitters reading something like SAN TANK BLOW IN PROGRESS - DO NOT OPEN FLUSH VALVE!!!! Inevitably people will still, out of drowsy habit or stunning incompetence, push the signs out of the way, do their business, try to flush, and get a several-hundred-psi stream of doodoo to the face.

Surface navy would have been 1000% better with pressurized poo poo tanks.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

almighty posted:

We had a guy poo poo himself on watch. He did a good job hiding it; no one knew until 2 days later, when San 3 failed to blow. When we got into port and opened the san tank, his underwear was stuck in the overboard discharge line, his name written in BIG black stencil. Second best mast ever.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Recently learned one of my sailors, my ELT for 2 deployments and source of endless nuke amusement, died in a motorcycle accident. He was a good kid, and while he provided me with endless headaches and lost samples, he served with honor.

Fair winds and following seas brother.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If it's not classified info what is the longest amount of time a nuclear sub could remain submerged undetected? I'm assuming important engine or reactor parts start falling off after five years or something without dock maintenance? Just suppose you had infinite food stores, how long can they stay submerged?

With all these subs floating around what's is/was the protocol for a post nuclear armageddon sub crew to do? Suppose there was a massive nuclear exchange and 99% of the world was wiped out all these subs are suddenly hanging out off the coast of China with nobody left answering the radios? Are you supposed to go back to base, or keep waging war somehow?

This actually seems like a realistic scenario back in the cold war so I'm assuming there was some plan in place.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Triton circumnavigated the globe submerged and presumably undetected, and that was 53 years ago. I couldn't tell you MTBF but it would be a long, long time. I would suspect you'd run out of hydraulic fluid first.

That being said, you'd run out of kimwipes, Simple Green, sponges etc long beforehand and it's preposterous to contemplate steaming a dirty engine room.

Also the command gets antsy if you go anywhere from a few weeks to a few days without running drills for proficiency, and those routinely put you on the surface. We took 'breaks' from supposedly critical spy missions to get back to open water and run drills. If you think nuclear Armageddon is going to keep the ORSE team away, you're crazy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Pryor on Fire posted:

If it's not classified info what is the longest amount of time a nuclear sub could remain submerged undetected? I'm assuming important engine or reactor parts start falling off after five years or something without dock maintenance? Just suppose you had infinite food stores, how long can they stay submerged?

With all these subs floating around what's is/was the protocol for a post nuclear armageddon sub crew to do? Suppose there was a massive nuclear exchange and 99% of the world was wiped out all these subs are suddenly hanging out off the coast of China with nobody left answering the radios? Are you supposed to go back to base, or keep waging war somehow?

This actually seems like a realistic scenario back in the cold war so I'm assuming there was some plan in place.
Conventional wisdom is that submarine endurance is limited by the amount of food that can be carried onboard. But that would apply to other consumables as well (kimwipes, lubricating oil, spare parts, etc). Don't think you're going to get a more specific answer for opsec or w/e.

As to Armageddon, that information is highly classified. Legend is that Margaret Thatcher's sealed letter of last resort said, simply, "avenge us".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What the hell is a kimwipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kimwipe

edit: It's the same brand, but the ones on the boat are heavy-duty with plastic threads reenforcing them.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 26, 2013

• Locked thread