Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

uh... you will anyway (provided you make the correct choices in EW), Ananda Gupta straight up said as much.

Slingshot isn't bad, but I never opt to play it because of that second mission. I don't consider the loss of half my veteran soldiers in month 2 to be a win, and everyone's like "yeah, it's not so bad, I only lost (enormous list of casualties) but I cleared the mission guys!".

There's no way in hell you can pull it off blind, put it that way (I went into my first playthrough blind, and aborted like 1/3rd of the way in to that mission).

A good thing about that second mission is that you can actually not go on it and it will be back up the next week until you are ready to go on it. Gives you time to get some good equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'd do slingshot every time in a heartbeat if only I can customize triad dude's armor. Without that, no way. I won't stand for unfashionable poo poo in my team.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Slingshot is OK, but I don't do it all the time when I play the game. I remember that one time where things went south in the Battleship and a rookie finished off Zhang in a panic friendly fire action.

Also, wow, already got a refund from Green Man Gaming. That was fast.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gatesealer posted:

A good thing about that second mission is that you can actually not go on it and it will be back up the next week until you are ready to go on it. Gives you time to get some good equipment.

Wait a minute, you can? Do you just ignore it and it'll wait indefinitely or do you have to decline the mission and then wait until it shows up later or what?

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Wait a minute, you can? Do you just ignore it and it'll wait indefinitely or do you have to decline the mission and then wait until it shows up later or what?

You can decline it and it'll pop back up later, and it comes up at least twice a month so if you have just two days left on laser research or whatever it's not too much of a delay.

Don't plan on doing that for the third mission though, drat counsel kept calling me every scanned hour. Seriously, a Battleship doing donuts following a subway over China isn't that important, gently caress off and let me heal my guys!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I have XCOM fever something bad, and replaying EU and UFO Defense isn't cutting it. Should I pick up Xenonauts? I was holding off buying it until it was in a more playable state. Is it fun yet?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Vengarr posted:

I have XCOM fever something bad, and replaying EU and UFO Defense isn't cutting it. Should I pick up Xenonauts? I was holding off buying it until it was in a more playable state. Is it fun yet?

Well, you could always try UFO:Extraterrestrials if you want a old-school X-Com-alike, other than that there is UFO:Alien Invasion but it's only a beta right now.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Play some Cruise Ship missions in TFTD and have it burned right out of you.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

ChronoReverse posted:

Doesn't look so bad.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I think i'm winning but every perfect abductions mission causes 2 continents to collectively poo poo themselves and scream incoherently at the council. Also, Muton grenades one-shot rookies.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I think i'm winning but every perfect abductions mission causes 2 continents to collectively poo poo themselves and scream incoherently at the council. Also, Muton grenades one-shot rookies.

That's normal. With abduction missions you have to chose which regions to piss off because you only had one XCOM team. Therefore you save one country then things go horribly south in two others. It makes you balance the rewards versus the panic level in choosing which alien scumbags' day you're going to ruin.

And for the Muton Grenades: welcome to XCOM.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Still sorta bugs me I can't build a couple more skyrangers to hit all three abductions

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It is pretty bullshit that panic goes down in one country but up in 2 continents. The worst part of the game is how the difficulty is massively front-loaded with a mad scramble for every resource until the alien base, where the game cuts almost all of the panic away and gives you massive piles of everything, so you can start coasting along and make interesting decisions about setups rather than rushing for a particular satellite grid. I remember there was a mod that let you shoot the abduction ufos down but I can't find it on the nexus, which seems to entirely be implassic difficulty stuff.

sorted
Apr 15, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

absolutely concur, lol.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

FedoraDefender420 posted:

It is pretty bullshit that panic goes down in one country but up in 2 continents. The worst part of the game is how the difficulty is massively front-loaded with a mad scramble for every resource until the alien base, where the game cuts almost all of the panic away and gives you massive piles of everything, so you can start coasting along and make interesting decisions about setups rather than rushing for a particular satellite grid. I remember there was a mod that let you shoot the abduction ufos down but I can't find it on the nexus, which seems to entirely be implassic difficulty stuff.

You call it the worst but I think it's great. I actually really like just playing the early game the most, I've started games over when I've gotten too strong.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

I remember there was a mod that let you shoot the abduction ufos down but I can't find it on the nexus, which seems to entirely be implassic difficulty stuff.
Here is the setting in the DefaultGameCore.ini file that lets you detect those ufos:

ShowUFOsOnMission=0 ; Detect the UFOs that are carrying out abductions and terror missions

Set that to =1 and you can detect the ufos and try to shoot them down. You would need a resource editor to make that change.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wrong thread, sorry.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Would slingshot be worth it if I'm buying enemy within on release?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

NeoSeeker posted:

Would slingshot be worth it if I'm buying enemy within on release?

It's worth it just to have more hats.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yes, especially since I'm betting the base game and DLC will go on sale to celebrate the release of EW.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Lazy Programming posted:

It's worth it just to have more hats.

I suspect nobody actually bought it for the missions. Hats are our lifeblood.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

nnnotime posted:

Here is the setting in the DefaultGameCore.ini file that lets you detect those ufos:

ShowUFOsOnMission=0 ; Detect the UFOs that are carrying out abductions and terror missions

Set that to =1 and you can detect the ufos and try to shoot them down. You would need a resource editor to make that change.

Are they difficult to shoot down? If they were tougher than your average UFO, it would create an incentive to invest in early-game aircraft upgrades.

As it is, I just stick with avalanche missiles until I get plasma, then stick one on every ship and forget about it.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
They are very difficult. Do not toggle that flag or you'll lose several council report grades every month till you have a firestorm.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Azran posted:

GMG has a 10% discount going on right now, but I think there's a discount code available for -25% there. You could always ask in the Steam thread.

Yeah, just pre-ordered it with thr 10% discount and 25% Voucher code GMG25-GRV7N-YY833. Came to $20.25 after both.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Vengarr posted:

Are they difficult to shoot down? If they were tougher than your average UFO, it would create an incentive to invest in early-game aircraft upgrades.

As it is, I just stick with avalanche missiles until I get plasma, then stick one on every ship and forget about it.
I did not find them difficult to shoot down, with enough fighter craft. Try it and see.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

God, this game hates me. Not because my current game is going badly, but because my current game is going well. I've tried to start ironman classic upwards of 20 times, and each time I've been wiped out by some really unlucky bullshit, and then it's all gone downhill. My squad will miss 8 or 10 high percentage shots in a row and it'll get them all killed. A sectoid on the ground, not in cover, will one shot my dudes who are on high ground, behind full cover, and smoked. I keep losing my whole squad on the first chryssalid mission, then the next mission is always the first muton mission.

I've read every strategy guide I could get my hand on, and I'd reached a point where I didn't think I could improve my strategy any further. Then suddenly I've had a game where everything went smoothly. My men will be in full cover on high ground and the enemy will shoot at them and it won't kill them. My soldiers will occasionally actually hit an enemy while overwatching. I pass the chryssalid mission without losing a soldier, I get several missions relief afterwards before the mutons appear, I pass the first muton mission without a scratch. I'm so suspicious that I continually check to make sure the difficulty hasn't somehow gone down. I'm losing soldiers at a completely acceptable rate and it's mostly rookies who die.

This is weird and I'm scared and I don't know what's going on.

edit: spelling

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 19, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
There are two possibilities.

One, you have earned the games respect for sticking to Ironman that long.
Two, it has gotten bored killing your early investments and is drawing you in so you can face the joys of Ironman multi sectopods.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Three, the game has finally acquired full sentience and is gradually luring you into a false sense of security so that one day, it can wipe out everything and anything with the element of surprise.

:xcom:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, I was going to say, the most obvious answer is that the game would rather have you waste 8 hours before you have to wipe your game, than 2 or 3.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RIP, Fuji. My reckless disregard for your aim rating of 30 Your sacrifice drew the remaining Sectoids out of cover, allowing the rest of your squad to clean up. X-COM has been approved for combat operations, you shall not be forgotten. :japan:

After a bit of faffing I got Implassic working and opened up with the construction site death trap. All went well, considering. e; Second missions was a total clusterfuck and I lost half my active operatives. Prepared and hunkered down in a section of the map after hearing one set of critters was coming the other way...only to get flanked and totally destroyed by three other groups who were "behind" us. Still, my survivors earned another promotion so that's something I guess.

Incidentally what on earth are the snipers doing when they fire their rifle? Using your own arm as a bipod strikes me as kind of odd.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

poptart_fairy posted:

Incidentally what on earth are the snipers doing when they fire their rifle? Using your own arm as a bipod strikes me as kind of odd.

Yeah, the sniper firing animation is kinda "What the gently caress?" since it makes no sense whatsoever.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Then suddenly I've had a game where everything went smoothly.

I've come to the conclusion that classic mode is just completely unfun bullshit, granted I also had that "One" flawless mission (on a Chryssalid terror site of all things).

No matter what I do my squads can just never hit anything at all, making Overwatch just a waste of time as I get to see the whole squad drown a single target in gunfire to effect of MISSEDMISSEDMISSEDMISSED. I can never gain flanking position and still don't understand where exactly to move in the first place, whereas the aliens can dance around my mans all day long and shoot them in the dick from across the map. Not to mention the whole mad dash of trying to scrimp satellites before countries drop off the map.

loving hell the original X-Com was never this hard, and when the game did bitch slap you there was at least some player agency over it. :unsmigghh:

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the sniper firing animation is kinda "What the gently caress?" since it makes no sense whatsoever.

XCOM snipers are just so badass you have to be grateful that they at least use their scopes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alkydere posted:

It's an actual posture, apparently. What's important is that you can hold it steady, and not everyone has the same build so postures aren't consistent.

I recall being mystified at how in Silent Storm, Axis snipers had this "sitting down on your rear end" posture for firing sniper rifles when crouched, while Allied snipers would take a knee.

vvv: Yeah, nearly like that.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 19, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

If you don't give a darn about followup shots it is perfectly fine to do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Alkydere posted:

That pose is not only totally realistic but also cool as gently caress!

Silent Storm used that as well for snipers and handguns.
http://i.imgur.com/Ypv4xli.jpg

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tornado Lazers posted:

Still sorta bugs me I can't build a couple more skyrangers to hit all three abductions

This argument will never end so I don't know why I'm bothering but...

It's gamey for sure, but the pick one/lose two abduction mechanic is really important to the pacing and complexity of the game.

The point of the mechanic is that unlike the original, where the far and away optimal decision is to hit every battle opportunity that is generated, it offers the player an element of strategic choice. He has to balance multiple competing pressures (control of panic vs desire for engineers vs need for money vs mission difficulty vs elite unit bonuses), and the way panic goes up means that the pressure on the player will tend to increase over time, albeit in a controllable way, leading to tense situations. (Oh man, I was gonna lose Africa, but then I hit a terror mission! Everything depends on this!) Abductions are tuned to be generally a net positive to the player, ignoring the panic increase, so so long as the player doesn't lose heavily, there's a nice feedback loop going where the player is glad to have won a battle, can sell off corpses to replenish troops, research some stuff, and generally be stronger next time.

The alternative of allowing the player to hit every mission stands the risk of breaking the system. That's because XCOM's battles are fun, but they are fun in moderation. If the player fights too many battles at the same tech level in sequence, the game can get old, fast. And if the player can hit 0-3 abduction sites out of three, how many do you balance the game for? In the end, ultimately, you are letting the player trade difficulty in the game for spending more time on his part playing it, which is a pretty dangerous mechanic that can suck all the fun out of it. Even forcing the player to have to spend resources (i.e. get an extra skyranger and additional troops) doesn't solve the problem - that just means the player has a sunk cost and will *have* to fight those extra battles to recoup his investment, whether he wants to or not.

The other option would be to have auto battles. That creates its own issue - losing troops due to an uncontrollable RNG roll would suck balls, and it would introduce another snowball mechanic to a design with several of those already.

I understand that the abduction mechanic looks a bit silly, and maybe they could have dressed up the fluff differently (Oh Commander, Major Bradford will be organising the XCOM B team on those. No need to worry!) - but as game mechanic, it does good things.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Fangz posted:

- but as game mechanic, it does good things.

I agree with this, but I would say that it's a little thrown off by Engineers being the best choice of 3 in most situations. It's a good mechanic but it'd be cool if going for cash or scientists felt more viable. Grabbing another pair of boots with some levels in them already can definitely be a boon though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
XCOM doesn't have slings for their weapons, so I guess that's how they have to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MrBims posted:

If you don't give a darn about followup shots it is perfectly fine to do.

Ah, okay. Now that I see someone doing it properly while sitting down it makes much more sense. He's using the crook of his elbow, supported by his knee, to make a stable firing platform without wearing out his arm.

Sitting down makes that pose make more sense. The pose doesn't make nearly as much sense when standing up or used in the middle of the close-quarters firefights that XCOM tends to get into. I guess they saw pictures of that and decided to adopt the pose because it would be too much work to make the sniper actually use the terrain/a bipod for stability and support.

• Locked thread