Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sincx posted:

Well, I think BART management was probably emboldened by defeat in polls the Republicans took in Congress. Americans (understandably) don't take well to people who inconvenience the public for perceived selfish gains. Now there is a valid argument that improving conditions for one group of workers can eventually result in better conditions for all, but that isn't nearly enough consolation for the affected commuters who are suffering now.

I bet management figures the unions will back down before people get pissed off enough to put an anti-strike proposition on the next ballot. Management is probably right.

I think still the BART unions should have organized a work-to-rule action instead. Less destructive and much better in terms of public relations, while still putting a decent amount of pressure on management to negotiate.

"BART Union refuses to strike but still ruins commutes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I too am ready for a round of programmers and tech yuppies claiming they could probably write the code to allow the trains to run themselves if they wanted to.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I too am ready for a round of programmers and tech yuppies claiming they could probably write the code to allow the trains to run themselves if they wanted to.

You mean like they've already done, again: http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/17/could-bart-automate-train-drivers/

Actually, instead they asked several companies that sell automated train equipment and they said "Yes! It can be done and will save money!".

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

You mean like they've already done, again: http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/17/could-bart-automate-train-drivers/

Actually, instead they asked several companies that sell automated train equipment and they said "Yes! It can be done and will save money!".

To be fair, it seems that most automated systems (such as SkyTrain in Vancouver, BC) seem fairly well run. Granted, I've come to this conclusion after about five minutes of Googling. Are there any automated train systems out there that have done horribly or have bad reputations?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sinking lots of money into far-reaching infrastructure improvements is almost as disliked by large organizations as spending lots of money on union labor.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Trabisnikof posted:

Once again I amazed by the blatant media bias on this. The only pro-strike quote in the whole piece is "so I kind of favor them." There are at least 10 anti-union quotes.
Honestly that is probably the actual ratio of union supporters vs angry commuters in the Bay right now. Just look at comments on FB/Twitter.

edit: The BART unions really do need to remember what tends to happen when the public is inconvenienced by a government transport union strike: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/07/31/an_old_lesson_still_holds_for_unions/

Given that today's Democrats are almost as right-wing as Reagan-era Republicans, the ATU/SEIU can't afford to antagonize the public like this.

edit 2 (slightly off-topic): Wow, Reagan was the head of a union! (The SAG) And he led a 5-week strike! http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/11/what-reagan-did-for-hollywood/248391/ How things have changed. Maybe today's democrats are actually to the right of Reagan republicans.

sincx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 18, 2013

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

sincx posted:

Honestly that is probably the actual ratio of union supporters vs angry commuters in the Bay right now. Just look at comments on FB/Twitter.

No no, you don't understand, it's somehow San Jose's fault.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

sincx posted:

Even my most liberal friends from San Francisco appear to be having a really difficult time wrapping their head around the idea of unskilled workers who make six figures striking for more money.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I already thought they were already 90% automated? Just that drivers are in charge of doors (which may not be that easy to automate) and there for safety/insurance purposes.

withak posted:

Sinking lots of money into far-reaching infrastructure improvements is almost as disliked by large organizations as spending lots of money on union labor.

Sad but true. I know management is probably lying when they say "Bu-but we need the money for upgrades" while they pay loving Tom Hock $400k to bullshit around, but it's also extremely unlikely for the State or Federal government to throw even the smallest amount of grant money for replacement cars as they did in the past so are there any numbers on how much after-expense revenue is coming in?

sincx posted:

edit: The BART unions really do need to remember what tends to happen when the public is inconvenienced by a government transport union strike: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...lds_for_unions/

Yep, although the kind of people that leave comments on news-sites/FB tend to be Freeper-type morons as it is, pretty much everyone I met during last strike and today was blaming the union or "they're both bad!"-mentality at best. I don't hold it against them: people get really pissed off at even the slightly delay in getting to/from work and when they more or less lose the ability to get to work, they're going to be really angry and not think rationally about it. Couple that with the media flat out-lying by inflating salaries by including benefits (:fuckoff: disingenuous fucks) and ignoring a lot of details such as BART putting a hold on raises for 4 years since 2009 while management collects a shitload, and of course people are going to be even madder that some blue-collar worker is "making more" than them whilst "doing nothing" and losing their ability to get to work regardless of what they think politically.

However, firing them all isn't likely to happen because there would be weeks while the system is down for re-training new hires which would cost. There aren't enough non-strikers/supervisors/management that could take over the load unlike for PATCO. More likely we will see some sort of legislation preventing public transit employee strikes or something.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Aerox posted:

Even my most liberal friends from San Francisco appear to be having a really difficult time wrapping their head around the idea of unskilled workers who make six figures striking for more money.
Probably because it isn't anywhere close to being true.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Freeper morons will just post this from the SF Chronicle and go "checkmate, libs!" :smugdog:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is funny watching people whose overall worldview should put them in squarely in the pro-labor camp twist themselves into knots trying not to lose all of their progressive street cred while also being unable to avoid breaking out the "GREEDY UNION THUGS" line that has been beamed into our heads by the media for the last 30 years.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

krysmopompas posted:

Probably because it isn't anywhere close to being true.

Do you have the info on actual salary stuff? I'm actually pretty supportive of the strike, from what I know about it, but most of the stuff I had been reading pegged salaries somewhere around $80k-$120k for a lot of positions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I like how all of a sudden train drivers are "unskilled labor".

Also twitter doesn't really replace a public opinion poll.

Do you really think that someone should work for BART their entire life and not be able to afford a home and to send a kid to college (with 2 wages mind you)? The Bay Area is crazy expensive to live in, because even if you live somewhere cheap you pay for it in transportation costs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

withak posted:

It is funny watching people whose overall worldview should put them in squarely in the pro-labor camp twist themselves into knots trying not to lose all of their progressive street cred while also being unable to avoid breaking out the "GREEDY UNION THUGS" line that has been beamed into our heads by the media for the last 30 years.

It's not really their fault. It's a combination of innate human envy, deliberate (or merely incompetent) media reporting (i.e. artifically inflated salaries) across all outlets, and increased stress (cortisol) levels (from dealing with bunch of uncertainty with connections/driving/paying a lot more/spending up to 2 hours longer to get to work) that makes a recipe for misplaced anger from otherwise pro-labor people like that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 18, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

Do you have the info on actual salary stuff? I'm actually pretty supportive of the strike, from what I know about it, but most of the stuff I had been reading pegged salaries somewhere around $80k-$120k for a lot of positions.

The average salary thrown around by BART management during the last strike was $73k, but I remember reading somewhere that if you calculated the average yourself from the publicly-available database of BART salaries then you get something in the low 60s.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I like how all of a sudden train drivers are "unskilled labor".

Also twitter doesn't really replace a public opinion poll.

Do you really think that someone should work for BART their entire life and not be able to afford a home and to send a kid to college (with 2 wages mind you)? The Bay Area is crazy expensive to live in, because even if you live somewhere cheap you pay for it in transportation costs.

Sorry that was a really poor choice of words on my part and I didn't mean to start an argument about whether the strike is valid or not (I think it is). I was just trying to comment on the stuff I had seen from my SF friends in relation to the strike, who are mostly people I consider fairly far left.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
all the salaries plus OT by Emp are in the report I linked on the last page. You can drill through everything.....and there is a lot of OT obviously because of low staffing levels.

http://enjalot.github.io/bart/#content

under "How Much Do BART Employees Earn?" click a bubble (it's a person), orange are union emps

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 18, 2013

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I actually thought this is a pretty damning graph which should shut FB/Twitter people up:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

I actually thought this is a pretty damning graph which should shut FB/Twitter people up:

What's 'Index'? I can believe the story the graph is attempting to tell (re: contrasting the salary debate vs inflation) but it does itself no favors by committing one of the sins of graphing (unclear units/axes).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Going to hazard a guess and say that it's a measurement designed to take nominal values of those various things and indexing them to a base value of 100 for the year 2000. A one point increase is 1% increase in fares or wages or inflation. It lets you plot everything using one unit, which makes comparison easier.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Xaris posted:

It's not really their fault. It's a combination of innate human envy, deliberate (or merely incompetent) media reporting (i.e. artifically inflated salaries) across all outlets, and increased stress (cortisol) levels (from dealing with bunch of uncertainty with connections/driving/paying a lot more/spending up to 2 hours longer to get to work) that makes a recipe for misplaced anger from otherwise pro-labor people like that.
I know how someone who bitches about every union strike for no other reason than jealousy. Because they work a lovely retail job and don't have union protection, no one else should either. They said they'd be completely pro-union if they were in one. When they told me that I wondered how common that was.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keyser S0ze posted:

all the salaries plus OT by Emp are in the report I linked on the last page. You can drill through everything.....and there is a lot of OT obviously because of low staffing levels.

http://enjalot.github.io/bart/#content

under "How Much Do BART Employees Earn?" click a bubble (it's a person), orange are union emps

It bothers me that this defaults to "total cost per employee," when absolutely no one ever thinks in terms of that. Switch it to "base salary" to start.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't know a lot about the BART strike. I tend to be pro-union for most things, but in this case I'm not sure where I stand. It's because I am missing some info.

What percentage of BART salaries are subsidized by the government? What percent comes directly from ticket sales?

In what I see as a properly run mass transit operation, the government would handle the lions share. I suspect this is not the case, though. I'd guess that with higher wages will come higher fares which inconveniences everyone.

The BART union holds far too much power over the public. Don't they?

For instance, if teachers strike, it hurts education, but it doesn't have an immediate impact on the economy and on people who rely on that public service to make a living. It's no wonder the BART union is so disliked.

Ultimately, the people will have to pay for any wage increases. But how directly will they be paying? That seems to be the crux of the matter.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't know a lot about the BART strike. I tend to be pro-union for most things, but in this case I'm not sure where I stand. It's because I am missing some info.

What percentage of BART salaries are subsidized by the government? What percent comes directly from ticket sales?

In what I see as a properly run mass transit operation, the government would handle the lions share. I suspect this is not the case, though. I'd guess that with higher wages will come higher fares which inconveniences everyone.

The BART union holds far too much power over the public. Don't they?

For instance, if teachers strike, it hurts education, but it doesn't have an immediate impact on the economy and on people who rely on that public service to make a living. It's no wonder the BART union is so disliked.

Ultimately, the people will have to pay for any wage increases. But how directly will they be paying? That seems to be the crux of the matter.

http://www.bart.gov/docs/financials/FY2013_BART_Budget.pdf (See Page 5)

62% comes from passengers directly. About 35% comes from Sales Tax/Property Taxes from the counties in which BART operates which is sort of from the government, but considering how vital it is to the Bay Area these are pretty much things that passengers (and even non-riders who benefit from less congestion) pay indirectly. Other counties have cheaper sales tax for example so these aren't general funds. Actual State and Federal assistance is pathetically low.

Currently fare is based on CPI/inflation so they're going to rise--whether we see a further rise as a result of the strike is something I would also expect. If only so management (and the media) can demonize unions further going "We had to raise fares because the unions made us! :qq:").

Now, I do agree to an extent that loving over almost half a million people is quite devastating and part of me wishes that it couldn't happen. But what's the alternative though? What sort of collecting bargaining power do unions have to exert if not for strikes? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 19, 2013

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
BART raises fares every two years (on a schedule) specifically to avoid the possibility of it getting politicized that way. (I don't know if the amounts are set beforehand.)

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
From the sound of things, what hosed up the deal was the management wanting to go to ten-hour shifts (or to write up the schedules to get overlapping shifts). Management wants to do this because paying two hours of overtime on every single shift is incredibly expensive, and the union doesn't want this because getting two hours of overtime on every single shift is incredibly lucrative.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
If anyone hasn't seen it, this has a list of all bay area public employees salaries.

http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area/2012

Also of note, BART's highest paid employee last year didn't work a day.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23416601/barts-top-paid-worker-2012-never-worked-day

I'm a public employee I also pay a pension contribution, as has been noted, BART employees are reluctant to reach a deal that includes a raise, but also demands a pension contribution, which would eat up much of that raise.

dr.gigolo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 19, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The union offered to end the strike at 10pm tonight if management agreed to go to arbitration over the work schedule issue, and management refused. Which basically means that they are aware that this is a pretty ridiculous demand and don't want it near any kind of neutral third party for comment.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

withak posted:

The union offered to end the strike at 10pm tonight if management agreed to go to arbitration over the work schedule issue, and management refused. Which basically means that they are aware that this is a pretty ridiculous demand and don't want it near any kind of neutral third party for comment.
Or it means they want to deal with the issue now and not just kick it another six months down the road, which is all that "submitting to an arbitrator" will actually do.

Keep in mind that the union's "offer" is really more like "do everything we want and we'll consider going back to work...tomorrow."

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Or it means they want to deal with the issue now and not just kick it another six months down the road, which is all that "submitting to an arbitrator" will actually do.

Keep in mind that the union's "offer" is really more like "do everything we want and we'll consider going back to work...tomorrow."

Nope. Also, gently caress you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dr.gigolo posted:

Also of note, BART's highest paid employee last year didn't work a day.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23416601/barts-top-paid-worker-2012-never-worked-day

I'm a public employee I also pay a pension contribution, as has been noted, BART employees are reluctant to reach a deal that includes a raise, but also demands a pension contribution, which would eat up much of that raise.

Also note that that employee is Management not a Union member.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

You clearly didn't actually read the offer then. It included accepting previously agreed upon compromises between the union and management for the vast majority of issues and engaging in binding arbitration for the rest.

I don't see how the union could do its job and offer management a better offer than that. Binding arbitration and an end to the strike would be the best option for the public, but management refuses because they know the union gets more flack during strikes (plus no one gets paid).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Their offer was everything that has been negotiated and agreed to by both parties so far, with the single outstanding issue to be decided by an independent arbitrator after everyone goes back to work. There is literally no reasonable excuse for management to not agree to that if they have any interest in negotiating in good faith.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Management has officially said they won't make any new offers, and that they will hold out until the unions cave.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

withak posted:

Their offer was everything that has been negotiated and agreed to by both parties so far, with the single outstanding issue to be decided by an independent arbitrator after everyone goes back to work.
So I was wrong; the union had agreed on a deal, and then management wanted to talk about the work rules, and the union decided gently caress THAT poo poo WE STRIKE.

quote:

There is literally no reasonable excuse for management to not agree to that if they have any interest in negotiating in good faith.
Except for the part where the union went on strike and *then* said "okay maybe we'll allow a negotiator to take a look at it".

Also, do you believe management when they say that eliminating overtime through rescheduling was the reason they agreed to the deal in the first place?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

One of the reasons BART workers are striking is because of concerns about safety. And guess what happened today? Two BART workers were struck by a train and killed:

http://sfappeal.com/2013/10/bart-train-reportedly-strikes-two-people/

But according to your average person who's only concerned about any of this just because their commute was screwed with, it's the workers and unions that are horrible and at fault for anything that goes wrong.

"gently caress workers rights, it took twice as long for me to get to my own job, therefore unions are all horrible and all BART workers should be fired!" :downs:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Miss-Bomarc posted:

So I was wrong; the union had agreed on a deal, and then management wanted to talk about the work rules, and the union decided gently caress THAT poo poo WE STRIKE.
Except for the part where the union went on strike and *then* said "okay maybe we'll allow a negotiator to take a look at it".

Also, do you believe management when they say that eliminating overtime through rescheduling was the reason they agreed to the deal in the first place?

The work rules was the last thing on the list to negotiate; it didn't just appear out of nowhere. If management made concessions early on assuming that they would get their way on the work rules then that was a pretty dumb thing to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rah! posted:

One of the reasons BART workers are striking is because of concerns about safety. And guess what happened today? Two BART workers were struck by a train and killed:

http://sfappeal.com/2013/10/bart-train-reportedly-strikes-two-people/

But according to your average person who's only concerned about any of this just because their commute was screwed with, it's the workers and unions that are horrible and at fault for anything that goes wrong.

"gently caress workers rights, it took twice as long for me to get to my own job, therefore unions are all horrible and all BART workers should be fired!" :downs:

Countdown until someone accuses the union of plotting this to help in the negotiation...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Wow, so did you just learn about this labor dispute today? Because in reality management has been classically unwilling to negotiate. For example, the BART management's chief labor negotiator (who is a hired gun brought in and has a history of slow rolling unions) took vacation in the middle of negotiations. There are numerous examples throughout press reports of planned negotiation sessions that management agreed to and then just didn't attend as a hard-ball tactic.

Management has also said several times that they will not compromise with the union, their last offer is take it or strike. So the fact is that the union is offering yet another deal while management refuses to budge or agree to keep trains running while negotiations continue. Management is the one calling for the strike to last until one side gives up completely because they believe the unions will be hurt more than they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of management loving things up, here's some more info on those two workers getting killed today:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_24345866/bart-train-strikes-two-people-near-walnut-creek

quote:

Sources say the two dead workers were non-union engineers performing track inspections when a manager operating a four-car train with six people on board hit them...

...The train operator, who sources say was a operator supervisor who drove trains two decades ago...

...Central BART communication officers are out on strike and it's unclear who was operating the dispatch center while moving trains.

"These people are not trained to do these jobs," one anonymous BART worker said, referring to managers, some former train operators, who have been moving trains during the work stoppage.

BART trains have been idle for commuters since Friday due to a labor strike, but some managers have moved trains for other purposes. BART union representatives have repeatedly warned that allowing managers to operate the trains would be dangerous.

But let's not be naive, it's clearly the fault of the workers and unions, and them alone, when things like this happen!

• Locked thread