Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

I started playing Tower of Fortune 2 and it's really cool ; it took a while for it to "click" with me and there's a ton of weird undocumented stuff (I had to die quite a few times to figure out what carries over and what gets "permadeathed") but now I'm really into it. Loads of strange little secrets and interactions, and the iffy translation only adds to the sense of mystery.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tower-of-fortune-2/id691850020?mt=8

This is pretty cool. I spent more time than I expected playing it this afternoon. Now I have a wolf :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In case anyone was a little disappointed in Bravura - Quest Rush, it just got updated with much better support for older devices and touch sensitivity. I can play the way they intended at this point, so I'd probably recommend it now.

http://appshopper.com/games/bravura-quest-rush

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

NESguerilla posted:

Just noticed the newest XCOM update added asynchronous multiplayer :hellyeah: Hit me up if you wanna play.

My GC name is Nihils Maw.

This is probably a stupid question (a.k.a. overly optimistic), but is this cross-platform multiplayer? Like, could I play an iPad user on my PC?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

foutre posted:

This is probably a stupid question (a.k.a. overly optimistic), but is this cross-platform multiplayer? Like, could I play an iPad user on my PC?
Not a stupid question, but no it is not cross-platform.

Also did iOS 7 incorporate some API for asynchronous multiplayer? It seems like a lot of games recently updated with it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StarkRavingMad posted:

This is pretty cool. I spent more time than I expected playing it this afternoon. Now I have a wolf :unsmith:

The wolf is awesome and the fact that someone playing differently than you or I could blaze through the whole first area without recruiting him is one of those things that makes this game special to me. Honestly, leveling him up is probably one of the best investments you can make as far as "stuff that carries over when you die" -- once you do it a few times, he'll start instantly killing basically every enemy in the first dungeon, which makes grinding up XP a total breeze. I'm wondering what other kind of stuff carries over/has effects on later parts of the game, besides feeding him at the campsite. For example, sometimes a goblin queen will show up demanding food or potions, and if you refuse you have to fight her. If you give in, though, she implies you've caused her children to grow stronger-- I'm not sure if that's just a "flavor" thing or if it's gonna make a difference later on. I know the Paladin who shows up will, as long as you "answer correctly" to enough of his questions, will eventually start popping up and offering to help you out by giving you rare smithing materials, or 1000 gold. One time he asked me for food and I gave it to him, and he was like "I was just testing you! I have plenty of food!" and gave me back 3 pieces of better food in return. What a weird, cool game. Also it gets dark as gently caress a few floors down -- the "Chewing Man" is horrifying.

edit: As far as what to put your stats into on level up: I've personally found the skill that heals you when you spin a "chi" symbol really valuable, considering how scarce in-dungeon healing is -- on this current run, I've put a few levels into it and it now heals me for 35% of my maximum HP every time I spin a chi. I'm basically more efficient at healing myself in-combat than I am hoping to spin campfires while I'm exploring the dungeon. The skill that gives you 5% extra rage whenever you gain rage is really useful, too -- I know it says in the description "Get X% more rage points when you spin rage" but it turns out it ALSO applies when you gain rage from attacking, or receiving damage -- if a fight goes on for more than a few turns I almost always end up finishing the enemy off in rage mode, after putting a few levels into it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 18, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not a stupid question, but no it is not cross-platform.

Just to follow up, it is indeed not a stupid question! Just off the top of my head -- Frozen Synapse allows for cross-platform play between iOS and Mac/PC versions of the game. Hero Academy allows for cross-platform play between iOS, Mac/PC, and as of very recently Android versions of the game. The technology is out there but I'm sure that, depending on how your game is built, it might not be exactly trivial to implement. And yeah, unfortunately, it's not the case with X-Com.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

goferchan posted:

Just to follow up, it is indeed not a stupid question! Just off the top of my head -- Frozen Synapse allows for cross-platform play between iOS and Mac/PC versions of the game. Hero Academy allows for cross-platform play between iOS, Mac/PC, and as of very recently Android versions of the game. The technology is out there but I'm sure that, depending on how your game is built, it might not be exactly trivial to implement. And yeah, unfortunately, it's not the case with X-Com.

I think Baldur's Gate supports cross platform play too, although I couldn't get it to work.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I just played Space Team across iOS and Android devices and I had the kitty cat mode turned on because it's the best mode. Get off my poo poo, cat!

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Battle Academy does PC-to-iPad cross platform multiplayer, too.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Are there any good RPGs for an iphone with a turn based battle system something like the earlier Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem games? Looking through the recommendations it seems like everything in an action RPG.

Same thing with building games, are there any that are more like Civilization and not all these games where it takes 8 real time hours to do anything?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This D&D game could probably be decent if they didn't take the laziest path possible. All the classes are the same and all the presumably 100's of D&D perks and spells are also all the same boring do x more to enemies for y turns.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DrManiac posted:

This D&D game could probably be decent if they didn't take the laziest path possible. All the classes are the same and all the presumably 100's of D&D perks and spells are also all the same boring do x more to enemies for y turns.

What game?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It just hit the appstore http://appshopper.com/games/dd-arena-of-war
It's not too bad. Everyone is upset because rather than the usual D&D spergfair it's more like that game Squids which I don't mind because that game was fun. Oh, also, Mobage so it's f2p and energy and IAP and blah blah blah.
You know, the usual stuff. Fun game, ruined by being F2P.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

As if anyone had any doubt, Device 6 is brilliant. Such a clever twist on a puzzle/adventure game.

Yeah, I got it based on the buzz here and elsewhere and it's frickin' great. Really short, but still a good value just based on how unusual and entertaining the game experience was.

Oh, for those of you cowering behind your couches: I'm a massive pussy about jump scares but I still liked it. It's very creepy, but only rarely does something jumpy happen. Actually, there's only one thing I can think of at the moment and even that only happens when you push a button and you're kinda expecting something to happen. Without spoiling anything plot-related, those of you who cower in terror at anything sudden should be aware that something noisy happens when you activate the doll.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 19, 2013

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Anyone playing the simpsons tapped out? Wanna add me and my gf?

This is like most fun press buttons a few times a day game i've played.

Librarian
Nov 23, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

Anyone playing the simpsons tapped out? Wanna add me and my gf?

This is like most fun press buttons a few times a day game

This is probably a silly question, but what are your names so I can find you to send a friend invite?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Should be nuxerion and pruttibang. At least that's our origin names.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

theblackw0lf posted:

Device 6, the latest game from the developers of Year Walk is out.

I'd say more but I really think this is a game that the less you know going in the better.

Just finished this. I hope they make back everything they put into it and more.

Mobile gaming needs a shitload more games like this, and a shitload less IAP infested skinner boxes.

I also confess to spending too long on the first screen scrolling the wrong way. :smith:

Also not realising that the picture in the black chapel was reversed even though everything else was.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 19, 2013

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Could someone give me a not too spoilerish hint for year walk? I got past the river part and brought the light to the cave/hut and can move it around. I'm lost for what to do next though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Bike Baron is free! It's like Trials HD, but in the palm of your hand. And it's great!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bobfather posted:

Bike Baron is free! It's like Trials HD, but in the palm of your hand. And it's great!

Heck yeah, it's phenomenal. Everyone download it and be sure to check out the user created levels, some of them are really fun.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hey guys :siren:

The best Trials game on iOS just went free again

Bike Baron went free

http://appshopper.com/games/bike-baron

Get you some

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hey, if you're not playing Paint it Back, you're missing out on the best Picross game available for iOS at the moment. Excellent controls, universal app with both orientations for landscape/portait puzzle shapes, and iCloud save for transferring between devices.

Great chiptune soundtrack, too.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

It just hit the appstore http://appshopper.com/games/dd-arena-of-war
It's not too bad. Everyone is upset because rather than the usual D&D spergfair it's more like that game Squids which I don't mind because that game was fun. Oh, also, Mobage so it's f2p and energy and IAP and blah blah blah.
You know, the usual stuff. Fun game, ruined by being F2P.

Calling it a fun game ruined by being F2P is a stretch. I'm sure at some point the game would have been ruined by IAP but I doubt anyone that has tried it has made it that far. The game is terrible at explaining everything what little the only system in the game, skills. I liked both Squids and Dojo Danger but the "combat" mechanic here is awful (though maybe a step up from typical Mobage where there is no mechanic other than press buttan). Rooms are maybe 10x as wide and 5x as tall as your character and when you pull back to "attack" you get an arrow showing you where you're going to go, making it impossible to miss enemies. There is no gear to collect, no character advancement and the skills you get to equip are super bland. Pretty sure the classes are identical as I chose the Dragonborn Sorcerer and the goal was to run into guys; I can't imagine a melee character playing any differently.

I'm pretty easy when it comes to iOS gaming, have absolutely no D&D sperg in me and have even been known to throw a couple of bucks at F2P games in the past but this game had absolutely zero redeeming qualities and isn't even worth a speculative download. Worst game of the year material.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Hey, if you're not playing Paint it Back, you're missing out on the best Picross game available for iOS at the moment. Excellent controls, universal app with both orientations for landscape/portait puzzle shapes, and iCloud save for transferring between devices.

Call me when they add a third dimension. Picross 3D ruined me on 2D picross.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

k-spar posted:

Could someone give me a not too spoilerish hint for year walk? I got past the river part and brought the light to the cave/hut and can move it around. I'm lost for what to do next though.

There's still probably something you haven't done in the hut.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I really want to try Year Walk or Device 6, which would you guys recommend trying first?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

I really want to try Year Walk or Device 6, which would you guys recommend trying first?

Both are really, really good. They're both genre-breakers but fit most closely in the "adventure game" category (think Myst? Sort of?); Year Walk is a little more "traditional" than Device 6 and I think you could argue that it has slightly more puzzles/content in it (both games, however, fall in the 2-3 hours of gameplay range), but I'd say that the puzzles in Device 6 are maybe a little more refined and creative -- "tighter", if you will -- Year Walk's puzzles can occasionally feel obtuse and sometimes I felt like I was just guessing at the right answer, but when playing Device 6 pretty much every puzzle contained one of those glorious "A-HA!" moments that only the best of adventure games provide. Both are absolutely killer games but maybe you should pick based on the theme that interests you more -- without spoiling too much, Year Walk deals with a mix of bizarre 19th century pagan Swedish folklore & modern academia. Device 6 has a sort of surreal 1960s espionage thriller vibe to it -- think "The Prisoner". If you spring for Year Walk first, definitely pick up the (free) companion app available and feel free to poke around in it as often as you like as you play through the game -- it's not going to spoil anything you encounter but it will provide some historical context for the events you experience in the game, and even after the credits roll it's worth taking a final look at it to help bring everything that's happened together.

For the people who've played Device 6, speaking of the Year Walk companion app, did anyone else immediately check the app store for a similar "companion app" after seeing the warning at the beginning of the game telling you to refer to the Device 4 user manual? Made it all the more brilliant when it's finally revealed what Device 4 actually is.

Citizen Psmith
Jul 18, 2009

Village Idiot

Bummey posted:

Call me when they add a third dimension. Picross 3D ruined me on 2D picross.

That would be Nonocube, whose developers really need to get their arses in gear and produce more Platinum Packs, dammit.

Librarian
Nov 23, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

Should be nuxerion and pruttibang. At least that's our origin names.

Should be added if I've done it right - I'm MadBadStoat if anyone wants to add me.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Whatever happened to Desktop Dungeon? Wasn't it supposed to come out for ios? The website still has pre orders up. Pre orders started in 2011 iirc.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Citizen Psmith posted:

That would be Nonocube, whose developers really need to get their arses in gear and produce more Platinum Packs, dammit.

Wow. That's just.. blatant, and I am totally okay with that if it means I can play Picross 3D on my phone.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

KarmaticStylee posted:

Whatever happened to Desktop Dungeon? Wasn't it supposed to come out for ios? The website still has pre orders up. Pre orders started in 2011 iirc.

I've actually been postin about it a little bit lately in the Roguelike Thread. I play pretty avidly, the game has indeed been in a Minecraft-style "early access" beta since 2011 -- and literally every single Friday since preorders opened almost two years ago, the devs have released a weekly content update. At this point the game is huge, basically feature-complete, and has been lately receiving a trickle of interface upgrades/refinements. It's probably gonna get released officially (on Steam) by the end of the year, the devs have hinted that they're about to announce a (very close) date, they're just waiting on one more mysterious thing that they're "not able to talk about" yet before they make it official. I asked them on their forums a few weeks ago how closely we can expect an iOS release to follow the PC version and they seemed optimistic -- they said we'd probably see it within 2-3 months tops, afterwards -- the game is developed in Unity so porting is just an issue of making sure the interface works on touchscreens, etc, the code is all basically transferrable.

edit: When it does release on Steam, your progress/savefiles from the (browser-based) beta will all be tied to your account and carry over to the download version. When it releases on iOS, same deal. The game is currently $10 but it'll jump to $15 upon the imminent release so if you're interested this might not be a bad time to buy! If you liked the core gameplay of the original Desktop Dungeons this game is seriously astonishingly better in every single aspect. And it's HUGE.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Honestly I tried this and deleted it. There's clearly a lot of work gone into it, but the controls were off for me. If you try to fill in a row quickly it doesn't lock your drag to just that row (as some other picross games do), so if you're not perfectly straight you stray into marking blocks in other rows. It was especially problematic on the non-zoomed mode where you can see the whole of a larger grid at once.

I think Picross DS has ruined me. I'd love a really good game on the iPad Mini-sized screen, but DS nailed the controls with the stylus plus dpad mode toggle (hold left while dragging to fill in, right while dragging to mark x-es, just drag to scroll around). I've not yet found an iOS version where you can toggle between the modes so quickly.

The best iOS version I've played is iPacross, but even there I gave up where I've 100%ed every Nintendo version (Mario's, DS, 3D).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

goferchan posted:

I've actually been postin about it a little bit lately in the Roguelike Thread. I play pretty avidly, the game has indeed been in a Minecraft-style "early access" beta since 2011 -- and literally every single Friday since preorders opened almost two years ago, the devs have released a weekly content update. At this point the game is huge, basically feature-complete, and has been lately receiving a trickle of interface upgrades/refinements. It's probably gonna get released officially (on Steam) by the end of the year, the devs have hinted that they're about to announce a (very close) date, they're just waiting on one more mysterious thing that they're "not able to talk about" yet before they make it official. I asked them on their forums a few weeks ago how closely we can expect an iOS release to follow the PC version and they seemed optimistic -- they said we'd probably see it within 2-3 months tops, afterwards -- the game is developed in Unity so porting is just an issue of making sure the interface works on touchscreens, etc, the code is all basically transferrable.

edit: When it does release on Steam, your progress/savefiles from the (browser-based) beta will all be tied to your account and carry over to the download version. When it releases on iOS, same deal. The game is currently $10 but it'll jump to $15 upon the imminent release so if you're interested this might not be a bad time to buy! If you liked the core gameplay of the original Desktop Dungeons this game is seriously astonishingly better in every single aspect. And it's HUGE.

Holy poo poo how did I not know that desktop dungeon was still being made? I played the poo poo out of it when it was a standard roguelike affair of doing a single dungeon with a class.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Froist posted:

Honestly I tried this and deleted it. There's clearly a lot of work gone into it, but the controls were off for me. If you try to fill in a row quickly it doesn't lock your drag to just that row (as some other picross games do), so if you're not perfectly straight you stray into marking blocks in other rows. It was especially problematic on the non-zoomed mode where you can see the whole of a larger grid at once.

I think Picross DS has ruined me. I'd love a really good game on the iPad Mini-sized screen, but DS nailed the controls with the stylus plus dpad mode toggle (hold left while dragging to fill in, right while dragging to mark x-es, just drag to scroll around). I've not yet found an iOS version where you can toggle between the modes so quickly.

The best iOS version I've played is iPacross, but even there I gave up where I've 100%ed every Nintendo version (Mario's, DS, 3D).

Picross DS and Picross 3D also had the animations as rewards for finishing the puzzles. That jaunty little jingle and the animation were a huge part of the lure to starting up "just one more" puzzle. I sunk more hours than I'm willing to admit into both the DS games, but I haven't found a version on any other system that hooks me like them. I mean yeah, iPacross is decent enough, but... eh.

Also all Picross games need to drop the time limit bullshit. If you fail to complete it in that time, it simply means you have to replay it and effectively "cheat" by using the knowledge of the previous attempt to give you a headstart. It's the kind of thing that has no place in this type of game. I think I quit playing at least one iOS Picross game due to that still being a thing. My OCD tendencies want to see 3 stars on everything, but I don't want to grind repeat plays because of an arbitrary time limit.

Okay, 130+ hours in Picross 3D failing and replaying 45 minute long puzzles has left me gunshy on such things. 3 stars on everything. God, that was my crack cocaine back in 2009.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Paint It Back is great purely because instead of the usual pictures like Apple or Heart or Bunny, it has stuff like Conjoined Twins In A Turtleneck, or my personal favorite, An Over-Privileged Pony Avoids Eye Contact With The Pony Of Mixed Breed.

Bummey posted:

Wow. That's just.. blatant, and I am totally okay with that if it means I can play Picross 3D on my phone.

Oh! Cube is a similar game that I've been playing to stem my Picross fix.

e. There's a Mario picross?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 20, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Corridor posted:

e. There's a Mario picross?

GameBoy title. Available on the Nintendo eShop or via emulators. I started getting into that before I went cold turkey on my Picross habit.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Does anyone play The Sandbox?

I am having huge amounts of trouble with today's daily thing. It really is difficult, I can release the water but then nothing else happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

Picross DS and Picross 3D also had the animations as rewards for finishing the puzzles. That jaunty little jingle and the animation were a huge part of the lure to starting up "just one more" puzzle. I sunk more hours than I'm willing to admit into both the DS games, but I haven't found a version on any other system that hooks me like them. I mean yeah, iPacross is decent enough, but... eh.

Also all Picross games need to drop the time limit bullshit. If you fail to complete it in that time, it simply means you have to replay it and effectively "cheat" by using the knowledge of the previous attempt to give you a headstart. It's the kind of thing that has no place in this type of game. I think I quit playing at least one iOS Picross game due to that still being a thing. My OCD tendencies want to see 3 stars on everything, but I don't want to grind repeat plays because of an arbitrary time limit.

Well Paint it Back doesn't have a time limit, you'll be happy to know. And compared to Pixelogic it's a lot easier to swipe rows, so I'm happy.

• Locked thread