Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

-Anders posted:

It groups every app into a container based on the starting letter of the app. I. E. Alphabetical.
How is this better than the already alphabetical listing of the apps in the app drawer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Has anyone else tried the new SwiftKey beta? I played around with a couple of the new layouts, but the default is still the best, for me. I could see it coming in handy on my N7. My only gripe is that they changed the layout of the symbols page and it's breaking my brain trying to adjust.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

How is this better than the already alphabetical listing of the apps in the app drawer?

Because it scrolls vertically instead of paging horizontally. It also has clearly identified letter groupings.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if it's better, but it does look like this.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

LastInLine posted:

For me it is the letter index on the side, like contacts (see the right hand side of the above image). On Nova I have to scroll pages and pages of apps to get to an app starting with the letter "T", in this I just hit "T" and get straight there. It is a simple change but makes a difference.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Grim Up North posted:

After trying out Aviate for a few days I think I don't have the exciting lifestyle where Aviate can predict what kind of app I need, and the first screen is completely wasted on me. I kind of like the auto-categorized second screen and seriously wish Nova would implement the alphabetic quick jump drawer on the rightmost screen.

You guys liking the alphabetical quick jump drawer should check out Action Launcher.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Xarb posted:

Does anyone know any good widgets that will show a random picture from your gallery? I tried a few from the play store but they were either ugly, changed pictures every few seconds or didn't display portrait photos the right way up.

Basically I'm looking for a picture frame that will randomly show a picture from my gallery every few hours.

I haven't used it in awhile, but I had been using something called "Photo Grid/Frame" that did what I think you want. Not sure about the portrait issue though.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Any more invite codes for Themer/Aviate floating around?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

couldcareless posted:

I haven't used it in awhile, but I had been using something called "Photo Grid/Frame" that did what I think you want. Not sure about the portrait issue though.
This is perfect, thanks.

IuniusBrutus posted:

PM me your email and I can send one for Aviate. I have Themer but not sure how to generate codes from it?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Themer: 6BPVA8

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

deathmerc posted:

Themer: 6BPVA8

Xarb posted:

This is perfect, thanks.

PM me your email and I can send one for Aviate. I have Themer but not sure how to generate codes from it?

Thanks!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

This spreadsheet from a few pages back is still going for anyone else that is looking for an Aviate invite.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgjYR_CxjS41dG9iQ1hRVi1CMXZTdTd0YlduNHZ5aXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
OK I take back what I said earlier about the new ms rdp client sucking compared to pocketcloud mainly because of the zoom, way you move around while zoomed and lack of the touch pointer expanding menu.

Just discovered on the ms one, if you put it in "mouse mode" (menu, then button that looks like a pencil drawing a line) it puts a regular mouse cursor on that you can control from anywhere on the screen, like far away from it so your thumb doesn't ever cover anything you're wanting to see. Pocket cloud you control your mouse from half an inch away. For me that pretty well eliminates the need to zoom entirely and I think it fully kicks rear end now.

Also it seems to run your rdp session in your androids native res where pocketcloud had a few 4:3 ones you could pick from.

Edit kick rear end it connects to a ssh tunneled rdp on 127.0.0.1:5000 too didn't expect that. (Pocketcloud does do this as well)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 18, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's a pretty solid attempt right out of the gate. I was able to connect to my work computer through an RD gateway on LTE without any hassle and it was high performance and surprisingly precise.

It's nice that I can easily jump in if I need to no matter where I am.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I used the new MS RDP app to remotely uninstall Teamviewer from my media server at home, I think that's a good enough test of it.

I did see that squigly line button but didn't realise it was the cursor option, I'll have to give that a try.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I replaced my car stereo with my tablet and im trying to at least play music with voice comands, what app do you guys recomend ?
Im testing Utter! but i think that i have to test the voice engines because it cant recognize anything that i say, even short words.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Micr0chiP posted:

I replaced my car stereo with my tablet and im trying to at least play music with voice comands, what app do you guys recomend ?
Im testing Utter! but i think that i have to test the voice engines because it cant recognize anything that i say, even short words.

I can play artists on Google Play Music using Google Now. Unsure on the restrictions, but if I go "OK Google, play music by XXXXXX" it'll, well, play that artist.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

I can play artists on Google Play Music using Google Now. Unsure on the restrictions, but if I go "OK Google, play music by XXXXXX" it'll, well, play that artist.

Problem with that though is that it only plays one song by the artist. That might only be in play music though.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

OK I take back what I said earlier about the new ms rdp client sucking compared to pocketcloud mainly because of the zoom, way you move around while zoomed and lack of the touch pointer expanding menu.

Just discovered on the ms one, if you put it in "mouse mode" (menu, then button that looks like a pencil drawing a line) it puts a regular mouse cursor on that you can control from anywhere on the screen, like far away from it so your thumb doesn't ever cover anything you're wanting to see. Pocket cloud you control your mouse from half an inch away. For me that pretty well eliminates the need to zoom entirely and I think it fully kicks rear end now.

Also it seems to run your rdp session in your androids native res where pocketcloud had a few 4:3 ones you could pick from.

Edit kick rear end it connects to a ssh tunneled rdp on 127.0.0.1:5000 too didn't expect that. (Pocketcloud does do this as well)

Does it handle the ssh connection, or do you need a second app? I think some of the pay apps will connect ssh, then use the tunneled rdp.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Dyscrasia posted:

Does it handle the ssh connection, or do you need a second app? I think some of the pay apps will connect ssh, then use the tunneled rdp.

No, I'm using connectbot to ssh. I don't think ms even knows what ssh is.

I was amazed it connected not because of any built in ssh tunnel support, but because mstsc on windows doesn't like connecting to localhost at all or 127.0.0.1 you have to do 127.0.0.2 or at least you used to.

Edit: still don't know how to do a right-click. Anyone know?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 19, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Inexplicably, I am still running
Aviate over Themer, and for exactly the reasons being discussed here: I love the app drawer replacement. The smart pages aren't that intuitive or useful yet, it would be better if they just used the categorizations from the app drawer instead of having you make completely new drawer selections. But, if you have the time I guess you can make it work. My issues are just visual.

Clooooocks. Not to mention stock icons are garbage. Its not terrible, especially thanks to the Themer dialer app, but not great.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 19, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My dream launcher is something where I hit the home button and get a list of apps that fly in from the side. (think Action Launcher but without the desktops) There's dock apps that are out there, one made by the folks behind Sleep as Android that I tried, but I can't find one that also replaces the home screen.

Basically I want Meego. :-( Any ideas?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

LiquidRain posted:

My dream launcher is something where I hit the home button and get a list of apps that fly in from the side. (think Action Launcher but without the desktops) There's dock apps that are out there, one made by the folks behind Sleep as Android that I tried, but I can't find one that also replaces the home screen.

Nova (and presumably pretty much every other launcher) lets you set the home button to open the app drawer. Just ignore the desktops.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I was more thinking on using the app in offline mode, but from what i tested it looks like that all the voice recognition software needs to be online to work.
I managed to make Utter! open Winamp with a voice command using google search engine but if im offline it doesn't work :argh:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kerbtree posted:

Nova (and presumably pretty much every other launcher) lets you set the home button to open the app drawer. Just ignore the desktops.

He wants access to the app drawer without having to be on the home screen. It's a very nice idea if you don't use any widgets, but I don't know of any solutions.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a way to make Aviate forget a location? I accidentally added a bar near my house so now whenever I'm at home it thinks I'm at the bar. I'm not THAT much of an alcoholic :(

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He wants access to the app drawer without having to be on the home screen. It's a very nice idea if you don't use any widgets, but I don't know of any solutions.

Nova lets me change the home button behavior to opening the app drawer. Between that and Sidebar, I rarely she my home screens. I'm not a big widget person.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

LiquidRain posted:

Swapps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schiztech.swapps

EDIT: Doesn't fulfill the home screen requirement, but you might like it anyway.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 19, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

Nova lets me change the home button behavior to opening the app drawer. Between that and Sidebar, I rarely she my home screens. I'm not a big widget person.
I just tried this and it only seems to open the app drawer when you're on the home screen. From any other app home takes you, well, home.

(I don't actually want to do this, I was just trying it because you said it was possible and I didn't think it was.)

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I love Aviate because I no longer have to curate my home screen, and it thinks I live in a cemetery.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

bootleg robot posted:

I love Aviate because I no longer have to curate my home screen, and it thinks I live in a cemetery.

And what apps does it suggest for being in a graveyard?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

MrC posted:

A flashlight app and Camera. :v:

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Hangouts app for iOS got updated and now it offers free voice calls to North American numbers.

Presumably this is what's coming in KitKat.

link

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

MrC posted:

Life Quest?

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
If anyone's still looking for an Aviate invite, I've got 3. PM me your email and I'll send it along.

It's pretty sweet, but I find myself wanting folders, or at least being able to tuck two categories inside a state, like Music while I'm in transit. :V

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Aviate thinks I live in a hostel called "Futt Buck Egypt". I do not know what this means and I do not care to know.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Couldn't he just use something like SwipePad? Then he could launch his app drawer from anywhere (as well as favorite apps, shortcuts, and even widgets).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has he tried something like Swapps? No need to go to the home screen, your apps are right there on the side all the time.

[Edit: I originally tried using Swapps on my Galaxy Nexus and it was too laggy to work reliably. Works fantastic on my HTC One though.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 20, 2013

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I'm having trouble with text selection within one column of a multiple column pdf. I have this problem with a lot of "older" articles, here's an example from ye olde 1998

Trying to select text from one paragraph includes the adjacent column (captions, page numbers, and so on)

Downloading the same article from another archive yielded a correct flow but in a way that makes notation erratic.

Moonreader+, ezPDF Reader, and Skitch all select like this. Adobe Reader will actually flow across the first example correctly but its selection toggles are useless :psyduck: Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've got a $25 Play Store code I don't need. If anyone's interested in buying it shoot me a PM :)

• Locked thread