Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

NEW THREAD RULES
================

This thread is getting a lot of posts about 3DS Friend Codes and who's adding who as a friend and whatnot. This has at times seemed to be getting in the way of other conversation about the games. And it's better suited to the trading thread in Private Game Servers. With this in mind, you are now asked to put all posts that deal solely with friend codes, adding of friends etc. in the PGS thread and/or to keep it in PMs and IRC. Thank you and keep on trading Pokémon.

I will try to repost this on the next few pages to make sure everybody has seen it.

Clarifications:

You can post about Friend Safari, ask what your Friend Safari has etc. You can ask for help regarding Friend Codes if there is something you don't understand or can't get to work, just don't post purely to tell people what your FC is or to ask that somebody add you back. You can add a comment relating to Friend Codes to a post that has other content, but if a Friend-Code-related conversation develops you should try if at all possible to take it to another, more suitable venue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I Wonder Traded a Scatterbug two hours in. :ca:

I got a Zoroark! :stare:

... named after r/pokemon. :negative:

Oh my god, it's that Zoroark. Somebody made a reddit thread about it, the idea was for whoever gets it to instinctively know to go to /r/pokemon, see the thread, and post in it. And then pass it along. It was kind of doomed from the start.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Thanks! Can you explain this a bit further? I did super training which gave me 4 EVs and not straight-up stat increases. When you say "at level 100" what does this mean? When my Pokemon is level 100, and I only train 4 EVs in Defense I will see one stat increase?*

*This is only my second Pokemon game and my first time hearing about EVs!

Your pokemon's Defense (or whatever) stat is calculated using a certain formula, and one of the variables in the formula is the number of EVs it has. Another variable is the pokemon's current level. This formula is set up so that when the pokemon is at level 100, every fourth EV in Defense causes the stat to rise by 1 (ignoring the effect of Natures). At other levels, the stat is approximately proportionally scaled (the approximation is worse at lower levels because there is a constant term). At level 50, for example, every eighth EV causes a stat to rise by 1 (still ignoring Natures).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Thanks! Can you explain this a bit further? I did super training which gave me 4 EVs and not straight-up stat increases. When you say "at level 100" what does this mean? When my Pokemon is level 100, and I only train 4 EVs in Defense I will see one stat increase?*

The stat formula is kind of complected, actually. The stat formula is (([IV+(Base Stat*2)+(EV/4)]*Level)/100)+5 Which then increases or reduces by 10% depending on the Pokemon's nature. So, for instance, let's say you have a level 21 Modest Pikachu, with an 18 Special attack IV with 200 EVs in Special Attack. Pikachu's base Special Attack is 50.

18+(50*2)+(200/4)*21/100+5 = 40

Then add 10% because it's modest and you get 44.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

CaptainPoopsock posted:

*This is only my second Pokemon game and my first time hearing about EVs!

If you have x EVs in a stat, and your pokemon is level y, that stat will get a boost of x * y / 400. This is capped at .63 points per level (EVs are capped at 252).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Amppelix posted:

Oh my god, it's that Zoroark. Somebody made a reddit thread about it, the idea was for whoever gets it to instinctively know to go to /r/pokemon, see the thread, and post in it. And then pass it along. It was kind of doomed from the start.

If this is the case, please tell me the person who got it ITT immediately released it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And now for today's "where the gently caress is it?!" question: Lunatone and Solrock. Serebii's saying Route 8, but I have yet to see anything there.
Little help here?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^^ pretty sure you can find them in that terrible cave with the screwy over the shoulder third person camera angle.

Amppelix posted:

I feel like it's more instinctive to IP-trace the guy who sent it and snap their 3DS in half so they can't name Pokemon anymore, but that's just me.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Finally beat the E4 and got to that sweet A New Hope medal ceremony.

I was using an Aegislash until I saw that it was apparently the most mainstream pokemon ever and was in everyone else's E4 team. Replaced it with Avalugg which surprised me by not being the worst pokemon ever, although I want a drat good reason why it can't learn Icicle Crash.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

404GoonNotFound posted:

And now for today's "where the gently caress is it?!" question: Lunatone and Solrock. Serebii's saying Route 8, but I have yet to see anything there.
Little help here?
Glitter cave

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Man, Super Training is real easy compared to how things used to be, but I wish it was lefty-friendly. i have to prop my 3DS up on my left pinky, move the circle pad with my thumb and use the stylus with my right hand. After about an hour my Hawlucha has perfect EVs, but man my pinky is achin'.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I am Reverend posted:

Finally beat the E4 and got to that sweet A New Hope medal ceremony.

I was using an Aegislash until I saw that it was apparently the most mainstream pokemon ever and was in everyone else's E4 team. Replaced it with Avalugg which surprised me by not being the worst pokemon ever, although I want a drat good reason why it can't learn Icicle Crash.

How did you use Granbull? I originally wanted one on my fairy team but it just seemed like a super awful man.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I tried to set my profile message to "SA Prev. Jesus" so people could identify me but the censor won't let me. :negative:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

The Moon Monster posted:

How did you use Granbull? I originally wanted one on my fairy team but it just seemed like a super awful man.

She was pretty awful and I actually gave up on her for a while because she never learned a fairy move until I saw an AI trainer use one with Play Rough. It learns it way too late but at least between that and Dig/Earthquake it hits everything pretty hard.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 19, 2013

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
...I just realized the legendaries this gen are all based off of the creatures in the world tree Yggdrasil in norse legend.

Now I'm all excited for a possible Ratatosk Legendary. Cute lil' gossip squirrel :3:

Or possibly being able to catch Yggdrasil itself. We already caught god, why not the Holder of all Being?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, I know it's silly to talk about difficulty in a Pokemon game, as they are for kids, but can I just stop to mention the final battle with Lysandre ?

Seriously, 4 Pokemon for the final showdown with the game's major villain? Ghetsis and Cyrus were pretty drat hard if you didn't grind at all, Lysandre was a pushover. It's also kind of lame that he uses the same 4 Pokemon for each battle, and the only major difference for the climactic showdown for the fate of the world is that he Mega Evolves the Gyrados and puts on a stupid looking robot suit. Love the game, it's fantastic, but this was a little disappointing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am Reverend posted:

She was pretty awful and I actually gave up on her for a while because she never learned a fairy move until I saw an AI trainer use one with Play Rough. It learns it way too late but at least between that and Dig it hits everything pretty hard.

Your avatar/title is loving fantastic.

Are Fairy types good for much? I was never impressed with Clefable/Wigglytuff/whatever in the previous games, and I haven't played enough of the new one to know how they really fit in with everything else now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ryoshi posted:

Are Fairy types good for much? I was never impressed with Clefable/Wigglytuff/whatever in the previous games, and I haven't played enough of the new one to know how they really fit in with everything else now.

Immune to dragon moves. Gardevoir is half fairy now. So yes.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

nerdbot posted:

Man, Super Training is real easy compared to how things used to be, but I wish it was lefty-friendly. i have to prop my 3DS up on my left pinky, move the circle pad with my thumb and use the stylus with my right hand. After about an hour my Hawlucha has perfect EVs, but man my pinky is achin'.

Yeah the XL is kinda heavy. Lucky for me that I have a 3ds stand from buying Kid Icarus.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, I know it's silly to talk about difficulty in a Pokemon game, as they are for kids, but can I just stop to mention the final battle with Lysandre ?

Seriously, 4 Pokemon for the final showdown with the game's major villain? Ghetsis and Cyrus were pretty drat hard if you didn't grind at all, Lysandre was a pushover. It's also kind of lame that he uses the same 4 Pokemon for each battle, and the only major difference for the climactic showdown for the fate of the world is that he Mega Evolves the Gyrados and puts on a stupid looking robot suit. Love the game, it's fantastic, but this was a little disappointing.

Yeah, it was pretty unimpressive. I feel the same way about your rival not even getting 6 mans until the postgame.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Mega Gardevoir's Moon Blasts end worlds. She's literally my only experience with the Fairy type and it's a very good first impression. Now I have to never use any others so the first impression isn't ruined.

e: Except Mawile, of course.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Gardevoir is a loving house now. Klefki isn't bad either, but that's fully because of Prankster.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tell me Moon Blast looks like something out of Sailor Moon.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Has anyone written up a guide for super training like how Ogen did for Pokemon Amie? Like what the purple sparks mean, the red goals, the yellow goals, timing for your high powered shots, what pattern to dodge in to miss the soccer balls, etc? Like an optimized time path to boost a stat?

I'm slogging though it by spam tapping the screen, but I'd rather have a better idea what I'm doing.

Also, has anyone found the EV reducing berries yet? I finally got some reset bags, but I'd rather target my mistrained Gible than do all of attack and most of speed over again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Mawile and Azumarril are surprising great now. Fairy's only weak to Poison and Steel, which basically means its only weak to Iron Head in the main game.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
My lazy pokemon don't want to so anymore SP training; how can I fix this?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gardevoir seems too slow and too squishy to be actually that good. Even neutral moves will most likely end up OHKOing her, and that's most of them. Am I missing something with her?

Also pixellate on the mega seems awful, there aren't any good special normal moves that Gardevoir has access to, unless you can get Hypervoice or Boomburst or something from breeding, and even then they'd be competing with moonblast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what is the point of Pixilate on Mega Gardevoir? It only turns normal moves into fairy moves, but there are barely any normal special moves. Is there some specific move I'm overlooking that it really benefits from?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Passerby's should not be able to give me critical power lvl 2 while I'm trying to get Mewtwo's hp down without utterly destroying it. :argh:

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

if they're lying on their side? tap them. They'll instantly become energetic.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

If they're just on their side with a "..." just tap the screen. If they're on their side with a sad face that means they're KO'd, get yourself to a Pokemon Center.

If it's neither of these things, I...have no idea. I've super trained a bunch of dudes and never seen one get tired of training.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Once people have unlocked their third pokemon in the Friend Safari zone are hidden abilities unlocked permanently within the zone or do they only appear when that other person is online at the same time as you?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Nevileen posted:

if they're lying on their side? tap them. They'll instantly become energetic.

Jesus I'm awful at this game. Sorry, my last pokemon as Yellow, this is a lot to process.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

Once people have unlocked their third pokemon in the Friend Safari zone are hidden abilities unlocked permanently within the zone or do they only appear when that other person is online at the same time as you?

As long as both people have been online at the same time at least once, things will always be available with their hidden abilities.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

So what is the point of Pixilate on Mega Gardevoir? It only turns normal moves into fairy moves, but there are barely any normal special moves. Is there some specific move I'm overlooking that it really benefits from?

Use Pixilate and Refrigirate with a Skill Swap Gengar for absolute chaos :getin:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Gardevoir is probably #3 fairy after Togekiss and Clefable, and given its frailty that goes to show how few decent Fairies there are. The Mega Evolution deals with its Speed troubles, but not its crippling physical weakness which Aegislash in particular is going to love exploiting. Pixilate is almost useless - Hyper Voice has a niche in doubles and triples once Pokémon Bank is out, and Hyper Beam as a dumb gimmick, but other than that nothing.

I'm still going to use it, because it's one of my favourite Pokémon, but still. :colbert:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I think I've run into 3 female Combee in the last 25 minutes. That's kind of odd.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Did a quick couple egg move experiments, Skiddo, Flabebe, and Furfrou do not learn Baton Pass either. I'm going to check pretty much every Kalos Pokemon for it, so give me any suggestions for other moves or combinations to check along the way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Has anyone written up a guide for super training like how Ogen did for Pokemon Amie? Like what the purple sparks mean, the red goals, the yellow goals, timing for your high powered shots, what pattern to dodge in to miss the soccer balls, etc? Like an optimized time path to boost a stat?

I'm slogging though it by spam tapping the screen, but I'd rather have a better idea what I'm doing.

Also, has anyone found the EV reducing berries yet? I finally got some reset bags, but I'd rather target my mistrained Gible than do all of attack and most of speed over again

A lot of it doesn't really lend itself to guide writing. The shots are almost certainly random from my fairly extensive experience with ST so patterns are out of the window. Red goals can be hit more than once, yellow means it's disappearing soon. Timing is all you, you grow into it. Just try to anticipate movement and fire when your shots are fully charged up.

Optimum EV training is Horde encounters and Pokérus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There's an old man that you can give one of your Pokemon to sometime in the story. If you come back after you beat the Elite 4, he's not there anymore and there's a Pokeball in the room with a note saying that he's sorry, he can't look after it anymore. :(

• Locked thread