Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

So where the hell in Terminus Cave is Brick Break? I'm getting sick to death of looking. I found Shadow Ball fine but I can't find this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Monode posted:

Does anyone know if there's anyway to get a Razor Fang other than the Battle Maison?

I don't want to have to wait until after the Elite 4 to get my Gliscor :(

Same boat, I want my beloved rear end-kicking Weavile :(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

nerdbot posted:

So where the hell in Terminus Cave is Brick Break? I'm getting sick to death of looking. I found Shadow Ball fine but I can't find this.

I think it's inside a different entrance. The other one on the upper level, if I recall correctly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Anybody know if you can catch a Pikachu holding Light Ball in XY and if so what is the incidence rate?

Also I got someone's lvl 48 Graveler and someone's French Snorelax from WT while getting rid of Pikachus with no lightball :3:

Probably 5% - Catch a metapod, evolve it to butterfree, it's ability, Compoundeyes increases the chance of wild pokemon holding items (in this case, up to 20%) so long as it leads the party. Butterfree can also learn Thief via TM, so you don't need to waste balls catching pikachus.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I wanna punch whoever thought of the rapid fire super training trait in the dick. My dragalge can't beat the first level of special defense training in time while my tyrantrum wrecks every level of everything in mere seconds.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Probably 5% - Catch a metapod, evolve it to butterfree, it's ability, Compoundeyes increases the chance of wild pokemon holding items (in this case, up to 20%) so long as it leads the party. Butterfree can also learn Thief via TM, so you don't need to waste balls catching pikachus.

You just saved me approximately 5 hours, thanks!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I wanna punch whoever thought of the rapid fire super training trait in the dick. My dragalge can't beat the first level of special defense training in time while my tyrantrum wrecks every level of everything in mere seconds.

Use Tyrantrum to grind for Sp. Def bags? It's not optimal but at least you'll be able to train Dragalge

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Nickname Pending posted:

So when I EV train, do I typically want increase the most effective stats over the others?

I got one after 4 or 5 Pikachus, its not too bad since if you stick another Pikachu as your first you encounter them almost all the time.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

For Pokemon with Rapid Fire, I just spray soccer balls at the white goals until a red one shows up, then I use a charged barrage followed by more spraying.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

myron cope posted:

Use Tyrantrum to grind for Sp. Def bags? It's not optimal but at least you'll be able to train Dragalge

Well yeah thats what im doing, buts its slower and stupid I cant just train dragalge directly.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I heard about the old man and was too late to take my pokemon back from him, noooo.

Stalgren fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 19, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

LeafyOrb posted:

So what your saying is if I never give him one he'll live forever.

Is there any reason you would want to?

You'd be bringing some joy back into the heart of a lonely old man. :unsmith:

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I want to make a sick Protean Greninja, but I'm an idiot that just copies move sets from Smogon and can't figure them out myself.

So far I know that he should have Toxic Spikes and U-Turn, but what other moves should I teach him?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lame Devil posted:

I want to make a sick Protean Greninja, but I'm an idiot that just copies move sets from Smogon and can't figure them out myself.

So far I know that he should have Toxic Spikes and U-Turn, but what other moves should I teach him?

Ice Beam for dragon killing.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've got a friend who has been mainly using dragon-type pokemon and they're a real hassle to fight since I've only just beat the fifth gym. Any particular advice for dealing with dragon pokemon? Seems like they have access to pretty much every type's move and it's irritating that he has super effective moves against everything I can throw at him. Last time I battled him he had a Dragonite, Garchomp, and the goopy dragon in the OP's pictures.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, got a Light Ball at last! :toot: Now what am I going to do with all these sodding Pikachus? Oh, wait, I remember. To the Wondertrademobile!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I didn't sell the Comet Shard the old man left me. The Azurill I gave him is holding it now. :unsmith:

In other news, I just evolved a Lombre and was very disappointed with Ludicolo's animation. One of these days we'll get a Ludicolo who can keep tempo with Miror B's theme. :argh:

That Gobbo posted:

I've got a friend who has been mainly using dragon-type pokemon and they're a real hassle to fight since I've only just beat the fifth gym. Any particular advice for dealing with dragon pokemon? Seems like they have access to pretty much every type's move and it's irritating that he has super effective moves against everything I can throw at him. Last time I battled him he had a Dragonite, Garchomp, and the goopy dragon in the OP's pictures.

Fight back with a full team of fairies. Gardevoir, Mawile, Klefki, Togekiss, Clefable, and Azumarill.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 19, 2013

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
Well I guess if there isn't a way to get it before the Elite 4, I don't suppose anyone wants to be super amazingly nice and trade me over something holding a Razor Fang? Not that I really have much special to offer in return...

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

quote is not edit

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So what's the best way to level up short of spamming wonder trade and then buying poo poo tons of rare candies?

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Solus posted:

So what's the best way to level up short of spamming wonder trade and then buying poo poo tons of rare candies?

I've been going to the restaurants in the big city. Be sure to use the plus experience O-Power right before as it will always last for the entire restaurant stay.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Where can I catch Skarmory? and Tentacool?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
e: ^^^^ Tentacool is available right after you get Surf, after the 3rd gym.

Maxing hearts in Pokémon-Amie also grants a permanent exp boost to a Pokémon.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Previous Jesus posted:

Where can I catch Skarmory? and Tentacool?

Skarmory can swoop down on you in the outdoor areas of victory road.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Does Chesnaught ever learn any fighting moves? I'm nearing the 8th gym and the only fighting ability he's learned so far is Bulk Up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So how hard is it to get the first 250 pokemon in this game? I've only seen a few and most of gen 4+.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Check out Giantbomb's quicklook of X/Y if you want to watch three grown men not being able to figure out how to not roller skate everywhere. :shrug:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So how hard is it to get the first 250 pokemon in this game? I've only seen a few and most of gen 4+.

There are quite a few unavailable in the game at the moment. I've noticed Meowth, the gen 2 starters, and porygon/2/z aren't obtainable anywhere including the safari.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rhonne posted:

Does Chesnaught ever learn any fighting moves? I'm nearing the 8th gym and the only fighting ability he's learned so far is Bulk Up.

Well Greninja didn't learn any Dark moves except Dark Pulse with TM so it's not lookin' good. See if you can't hunt down the Brick Break tm. I think Cross-Chop might get one as well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Venonat, Durant, and Illumise cannot learn Sticky Web by breeding. Adding that to what users on Smogon have eliminated, and there aren't many possibilities left. Unless there is some wild card Pokemon in Smeargle's egg group that could somehow learn it, we're stuck with Galvantula, Ariados, Smeargle, and Shuckle. Which might not be a bad thing considering how game-changing this move could be.

Rhonne posted:

He can learn Low Sweep by TM which I think is available to you by that point, and also you can learn Hammer Arm from the move reminder for a Heart Scale.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Well Greninja didn't learn any Dark moves except Dark Pulse with TM so it's not lookin' good. See if you can't hunt down the Brick Break tm. I think Cross-Chop might get one as well.

Greninja can get a few really decent ones from the move tutor, Chesnaught is probably in the same boat.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Constable Lemon posted:

Venonat, Durant, and Illumise cannot learn Sticky Web by breeding. Adding that to what users on Smogon have eliminated, and there aren't many possibilities left. Unless there is some wild card Pokemon in Smeargle's egg group that could somehow learn it, we're stuck with Galvantula, Ariados, Smeargle, and Shuckle. Which might not be a bad thing considering how game-changing this move could be.

He can learn Low Sweep by TM which I think is available to you by that point, and also you can learn Hammer Arm from the move reminder for a Heart Scale.

I could see Galvantula and Shuckle getting more use from it. Ariados is just too much of a piece of junk that even a move like that probably can't salvage it.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

There are quite a few unavailable in the game at the moment. I've noticed Meowth, the gen 2 starters, and porygon/2/z aren't obtainable anywhere including the safari.

There's at least one good line of pokemon missing from each generation, feebas being one of them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lame Devil posted:

I think Spikes are generally better than Toxic Spikes on Greninja but a decent offensive spiker set is probably something like:

Greninja @Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Nature: Hasty
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Atk
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse/Hidden Power Fire/Ice Beam
-U Turn

Hydro Pump is Greninja's strongest attack and takes care of Excadrill and Donphan trying to spin away your spikes. Dark Pulse OHKOs Starmie and Latios and 2HKOs Jellicent and Celebi, while Hidden Power Fire OHKOs Ferrothorn and Scizor who are otherwise tough to deal with and Ice Beam lets you take on slower dragons, even OHKOing 4/0 Dragonite through Multiscale! U-Turn lets you get out of a bad situation and deal pretty decent damage with STAB and Life Orb even with uninvested attack.

\/\/\/Greninja gets Shadow Sneak so Lick is pretty pointless. Going ghost could be useful to avoid fighting attacks but a 40 power attack off of 95 attack with no boosting moves and Greninja's terrible durability probably isn't worth it.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ Can you make Lick on a Protean Greninja work? I figure that Ghost-typing would be a good thing to have.

After a bunch of planning, grinding and 3 generations, I finally got my perfect Lotad with modest nature, Rain Dish, Gigadrain and Leech Seed. Now all I need is Leftovers and I'm immortal.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not sure why you're asking about 250 as that's not a particularly significant number in this game, but it's not especially hard if you have an internet connection. There are 450 in the Kalos dex, which is probably more time consuming than difficult to fill.

If you don't have a friend to cooperate with you the hardest part will probably the trade while holding an item evolutions like Rhyperior and such.

e:oh, I see. Yeah a lot of them are available pretty easily, but some won't be until the pokebank thing comes online.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 19, 2013

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not sure why you're asking about 250 as that's not a particularly significant number in this game, but it's not especially hard if you have an internet connection. There are 450 in the Kalos dex, which is probably more time consuming than difficult to fill.

He's asking if you can get all the Kanto and Johto Pokémon. And the answer is mostly yes, save for Johto's starters and legendaries. Here are all the unobtainable Pokémon until late December: http://www.serebii.net/xy/unobtainable.shtml

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Rhonne posted:

The Move Relearner is in Dendemille Town. Whenever you have a fully evolved Pokemon it's a good idea to take it there and see what secrets are hiding in its moveset, Chesnaught learns Hammer Arm from him.

e: The other two starters aren't quite as well-off as him, but Delphox gets Shadow Ball which is always a good move for a special attacker and Greninja gets Night Slash which is the only decent Dark move he gets for a while.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 19, 2013

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

WrightOfWay posted:

Greninja @Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Nature: Hasty
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Atk
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse/Hidden Power Fire/Ice Beam
-U Turn

Thanks for this. My brother loves his Starmie so I can't wait to OHKO it with a dark pulse. Would you mind explaining why you prefer spikes over toxic spikes for Greninja?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
I've been playing Pokemon X for a while and the batteries were close to dying, so I saved inside a building (well aware of the Lumiose glitch) and turned off the system. When I turned the 3DS back on, the game itself disappeared from my home screen, and when I go to redownload it, the eShop says it is still downloaded. I tried to restart the system and nothing seems to work. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but has anyone else encountered this problem, and is there a way to fix it?

• Locked thread