Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I now have a modest, Protean Froakie with outstanding IVs.

Thank you Mr. Neddy Seagoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Yes, 14 year olds are still children. Also, not a lot of 14 year olds rocking beards out there.

e: I'm 28, everyone under 25 is a child to me.

I'm not sure why people care that the protagonist is a kid. It's a kid's game, it makes sense.

Excuse me, kids do not get to drink alcohol legally, old wo/man :argh:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So sticking a Mr. Mime up in the trade window and having him do his invisible wall routine as some kid shows off his dumb legendaries is the funniest thing I've seen in this game. He's sooooooooo cheerful and stupid looking.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Part of me wonders if Game Freak is waiting to pull the most cunning poo poo and introduce all these small improvements in Z. Removal of hats, grow a beard, save in Lumiose.

They're trying to make us think like Lysandre. There's Kalos, this world of unprecedented 3D beauty, where you can move diagonally, dress up however you want, ride Pokemon, pull sick tricks on roller blades, Pokemon gain experience even on capture, and a whole lot of other things that haven't shown up in any other prior Pokemon game.

But a closer inspection reveals a host of limitations and imperfections. The wardrobe isn't as varied as you'd want, Pokemon can only be rode in restricted areas, most of the gym leaders might as well be nonexistent outside of their gyms (Valerie gets a pass, I don't think she can even move at all), Lysandre's characterization feels weak, no scaling EXP. I think that last one can be chalked up to the way the Exp Share works in Kalos. A fixed experience dividend saves the game from having to calculate six different experience values every time a Pokemon goes down or into a ball, but maybe a 3DS cartridge could do that without bursting into flames.

You know Kalos is great, but there are these little detractors that add up to a product that could be far better than it currently is. Really, it feels like the transition to 3D entailed a loss of polish that the Unova games had. So you fire up an orbital death laser to clean off everything and start from scratch :v:

Also, speaking as a Filipino-American posting from a Chinese laptop in San Antonio, Texas with plans of starting a Chespin run in Spanish, how can I up the French on my pronunciation of "Lysandre"?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I added it to the google doc, but here's my FC: 2191-8102-0390. I'm still in the first town, so nowhere near Friend Safari, but let me know what I've got!

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
So is there a way to make the legendary bird not flee the second I encounter them?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nickname Pending posted:

So is there a way to make the legendary bird not flee the second I encounter them?

Chase them into the Sea Spirit's Den and they'll fight you properly.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I feel so satisfied with my Lotad. Chainbreeding is an extremely fun thing to figure out, and even more fun to successfully execute.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Nickname Pending posted:

from what ive seen You run into them multiple times (like a dozen or so) and they get tired of running away and move to the sea spirit cave where you can actually fight them.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Doing a second run through after I had a friend hang on to my super cool bros, and doing a nuzlocke

Charlie the Chespin just died :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Chase them into the Sea Spirit's Den and they'll fight you properly.

Wait, do you literally have to follow them around until you push them to that part of the map? I thought it was just X number of encounters.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.
If you encounter a pokemon that is holding an item, can you see it has an item before catching it?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Healy posted:

If you encounter a pokemon that is holding an item, can you see it has an item before catching it?

The ability Frisk would tell you if they're holding something.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Or you can try use Thief. That's the easiest way to get Heart Scales, in combination with the Old Rod.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Which is more rad: the sail fossil or the jaw fossil?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Jaw

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Last night some Japanese guy challenged me using Xerneas and Mega Lucario and I beat him with mostly Hawlucha. B) ZLSW-WWWW-WWWX-HVMU is the video code because I'm proud of taking down that drat deer.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So let me get this straight: If I evolved my Lombre to Ludicolo before level 47, it wouldnt be able to learn Hydropump, by leveling up or through the Attack Relearner. But if I taught Lombre Hydropump, evolved him and replace Hydro Pump with something else, would he still be able to relearn it through the relearner?

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just met the couple in Hotel Richissime talking about their Ruby and Sapphire (40th and 45th) wedding anniversaries. That's cute. 70 hours in and working on getting all the catchable Pokemon in the game before I work on their evolutions and pre evolutions. Haven't felt this way about a Pokemon game since G/S. :)

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

HeyItsAyls posted:

That basically is the best way to check your stylishness: once he's selling it for 10k you're maxed. You can then go to Café Introvert and get Hatching Power (a God send for any breeder).

It was posted a little earlier, but to max out stylishness quickly, go to the Pokéball shop and just keep buying a single ball over and over again. You don't even have to quit out of the dialogue box or anything: just keep mashing A.

I did this, and got the Charizardite for 10k. But Bonding still isn't at the Cafe :argh:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Novasol posted:

I did this, and got the Charizardite for 10k. But Bonding still isn't at the Cafe :argh:

Do you have all the bonding powers? He won't show up until you do

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Novasol posted:

Do you have all of the powers? You need all of the rest to get Hatching. I was missing the Befriending one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elysiume posted:

Which is more rad: the sail fossil or the jaw fossil?

Unless you want to play with one of the worst type combos in the entire game, don't pick sail.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Echophonic posted:

Do you have all of the powers? You need all of the rest to get Hatching. I was missing the Befriending one.

As far as I can tell I have them all. They don't need to be maxed, do they?

Edit: I was missing Sp. Def. :doh:

Novasol fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 20, 2013

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

How does the poke radar work? I never used it in past games and every time I try I get the 'now isn't the time or place!' thing no matter where I am.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why did I go to the Bulbapedia forums? Why did I go into the complaint/disapointment thread?

Sooooo so much bitching about "too much Kanto", and a wonderful "I know there is a lot of fanfare at the moment and everyones excited but when things have calmed down a bit, I think Gen 6 will go down as the worse Generation so far, yes even Gen 3 will be preferable.
It's a shame after the high that was Gen 5 they then fell so low."

I mean yeah there's some weird things this gen, but a lot can be chalked up to a complete facelift of the game into basically detailed N64 level graphics, unique animations for, well, everything (I will never not laugh at Magikarp flopping around or Psyduck clutching its head and toppling over when fainted). And my inner 9 year old is going ecstatic over Kanto in goddamn 3D.

I know I'm gushing and probably guilty of what they're doing but in reverse, but seriously this is the most fun I've ever had with a Pokemon game since I first played Yellow a long rear end time ago :shobon:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

redcheval posted:

How does the poke radar work? I never used it in past games and every time I try I get the 'now isn't the time or place!' thing no matter where I am.

Press the d-pad to put away your skates. Moving with the circle pad will break your chain. Yes, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Lancelot posted:

I saw a female character on Wonder Trade with a Pangoro hat, I assume from the artist in the Friend Safari city. I got a stupid Sundae Dress from him, is there a way I can get the hat? Or is just a one-off thing?

gently caress a panda hat, if you're not dressed in frilly weather-inappropriate clothes you hosed up somewhere down the line.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Press the d-pad to put away your skates. Moving with the circle pad will break your chain. Yes, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Huh. I just can't get it to work at all. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

nerdbot posted:

Last night some Japanese guy challenged me using Xerneas and Mega Lucario and I beat him with mostly Hawlucha. B) ZLSW-WWWW-WWWX-HVMU is the video code because I'm proud of taking down that drat deer.

Apparently I'm retarded because I opened up the vs.recorder or whatever and tried searching by code with nothing showing up. I could not find any video thing in the pss so what am I loving up?

Edit: Also I'm surprised they removed the emoticons from the trading screens. Atleast they sorta helped now there's absolutely nothing.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 20, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why did I go to the Bulbapedia forums? Why did I go into the complaint/disapointment thread?

Sooooo so much bitching about "too much Kanto", and a wonderful "I know there is a lot of fanfare at the moment and everyones excited but when things have calmed down a bit, I think Gen 6 will go down as the worse Generation so far, yes even Gen 3 will be preferable.

I mean yeah there's some weird things this gen, but a lot can be chalked up to a complete facelift of the game into basically detailed N64 level graphics, unique animations for, well, everything (I will never not laugh at Magikarp flopping around or Psyduck clutching its head and toppling over when fainted). And my inner 9 year old is going ecstatic over Kanto in goddamn 3D.

I know I'm gushing and probably guilty of what they're doing but in reverse, but seriously this is the most fun I've ever had with a Pokemon game since I first played Yellow a long rear end time ago :shobon:

TBH, gen 5 is pretty great. Though we all know Gen 1 is the worst gen :v:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

HoneyBoy posted:

gently caress a panda hat, if you're not dressed in frilly weather-inappropriate clothes you hosed up somewhere down the line.

Nah, it's all about class.

Also the female character cannot get the Pangoro hat, it was probably just a guy with long hair.

SuddenBlackout
Apr 3, 2004

I sho' is hungry
Looking for adds for the friend safari, mine is fire with Charmander.
FID: 3737-9564-1133
FN: Tommy
OT: Yeezus

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The extensive integration of internet-aware connectivity features into the game is enough on its own to make this the best pokemon game they've ever released. There are always people who hate the game for this or that dumb reason, ignore them.

SuddenBlackout posted:

Looking for adds for the friend safari, mine is fire with Charmander.
FID: 3737-9564-1133
FN: Tommy
OT: Yeezus

Please put this stuff in the PGS trading thread (linked in the OP).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

And my inner 9 year old is going ecstatic over Kanto in goddamn 3D.

Err what am I missing something.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

EvilHawk posted:

Err what am I missing something.

I meant Kanto Pokemon, not the Kanto region. Apologies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Exp share and a free Lucky egg make this the best game they ever made. No grind. :allears: Most of the bad stuff in the game (the plot and being hilariously imbalanced towards exp share not withstanding) has been in the series since forever. We're slowly but surely breaking away from those GBC gameplay conventions, one decade at a time.

Though if they're talking about the rival, they're up there with gen 3. Post game rival fight never levels up like in gen 4. :sigh:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Brilliant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Aside from "we're going with a land vs sea theme so we need 50 bajillion water pokemon" was there anything really bad about Gen 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Chained up 40 croagunks and I think I'm literally going to lose my mind staring at this patch of grass with the awful chaining music. Where the gently caress are you shiny croagunk :psyduck:

• Locked thread