Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know, there's plenty of places on the internet that don't crank out racism accusations with quite the volume that SA does. Maybe that's just because they're all racist though, idk.
You filthy rethuglican. When Debate & Discussion is done going through their Steam backlogs and gets around to leading the proletarian revolution, you'll be the first against the wall. So, you know, sleep safe and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Who's making racism accusations?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

Who's making racism accusations?

Certainly not you, Chief Savage Man.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

It's their 'Rest of the World' historical research library. :haw:

This is funny as hell.

I find the wallpaper amusing though, and since Darkrenown likes to shoot dumb pubs in tanks, I can't ever be upset with him.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I was trying to think up of other objectively bad communities that warrant the kind of hyberbolic response our boy Nuworm got but blanked. I wasn't trying to dig up the racism poo poo again.

Is 1650 still the magic year for making friends with people of different religious groups? I am hoping I can form an anti-Ottoman alliance with some Europeans (as Oman).

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Considering the amount of paradox staff that joined SA and goons that were hired by Paradox it's like we're pretty much got a royal marriage going on here. Where is the bad blood coming from? Is Castellon sending an insult to lower our relations out of fears of a personal union forming or something?
Use the mouse-over tooltip.

Wasn't someone making a CK mod with the internet as the world?

wukkar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 17, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

\Maybe that's just because they're all racist though, idk.

That is probably it, FYI.

Edit: Though lets not pretend we are above acting in similar ways.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 18, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
In Darkest Hour, how do you supply overseas provinces so that you can build things there? Like as Greece, how would you supply Crete?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Farecoal posted:

In Darkest Hour, how do you supply overseas provinces so that you can build things there? Like as Greece, how would you supply Crete?

You can't. :v:

Real answer, you either have to turn off convoy maintenance and build a supply convoy there, or drop a military unit there long enough to construct or place* what you need.

*If it's bases, you can build those independent of provinces and just plop them where you need them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Farecoal posted:

The game will refuse to send supply convoys overseas if there's no troops there. Put a single division there, a convoy will be set up to supply it and you'll be gold.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
226668 Crusader Kings II: Sparkly Vampires Unit Pack (226668) Depot Unused
226667 Crusader Kings II: Underworld Invasion (226667) Depot Unused
226669 Crusader Kings II: Witches and Wizards Unit Pack (226669) Depot Unused
226670 Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Northern Trolls (226670) Depot Unused

Never stop trolling, Paradox.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Westminster System posted:

226668 Crusader Kings II: Sparkly Vampires Unit Pack (226668) Depot Unused
226667 Crusader Kings II: Underworld Invasion (226667) Depot Unused
226669 Crusader Kings II: Witches and Wizards Unit Pack (226669) Depot Unused
226670 Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Northern Trolls (226670) Depot Unused

Never stop trolling, Paradox.

I would buy all of these.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want Underworld Invasion to be real so bad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Halloween Hats N' Pumpkin Helmets Pack.

Why yes, I want my female Fylkir to wear a big black witch's hat. From the wastes of the North I sweep, cackling with glee, sowing chaos and candy wherever my shadow falls! Kyeeeheeheeheehee!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
A converted EU4 game with the Reformed Norse Trading Mega Republic, Zoroastrian Persian Empire, Euro-Aztec Empire, and the Pumpkin Kingdom would make Europe into the best thunderdome ever.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Sindai posted:

I want Underworld Invasion to be real so bad.

I want to believe.

Nuworm
Dec 28, 2007
I don't regret this title.
So the Lets Mod EU4 thread that was Too Hot for paradox forums is up. Come take a look if you ever wanted to learn how to mod. Alternatively, come submit stuff if you never wanted to learn but want someone to make a mod for you.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

East vs. West has introduced the man responsible for their utterly baffling ship building system! Seems like he's actually done some decent work for Hearts of Iron 3, though.

Also Novapaddy, the WWIII-obsessed modder I mentioned a while back? He quit, apparently. Is it normal for a development studio to gain and lose a team member after only a month?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nuworm posted:

So the Lets Mod EU4 thread that was Too Hot for paradox forums is up. Come take a look if you ever wanted to learn how to mod. Alternatively, come submit stuff if you never wanted to learn but want someone to make a mod for you.
Constructive feedback: the poor formatting/spelling mistakes and the overwhelming amount of WACKY MONKEYCHEESE HITLER RULES vs. legible, useful content made me lose interest extremely quickly.

(The former is even more important than usual, since if you can't write a [ list ] [ /list ] it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in your ability to manage curly brackets and localisation references.)

For the latter, a good start would be explaining what the hell you want the thread to do in the first place. Since you start with a map it looks like you want to make a total conversion? That's like learning to program by coding an operating system.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Am I the only one having issues with Darkest Hour on Windows 8? My mouse feels laggy and floaty at any resolution I try the game, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fintilgin posted:

It's their 'Rest of the World' historical research library. :haw:

Ahahaha oh poo poo :drat:

Paradox please make increasingly insane and wacky alt-history and fantasy DLCs, not only do I personally enjoy them but I love seeing weirdos get mad about fun things.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In Vicky 2, is there any way to force a government change on another country?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

StashAugustine posted:

In Vicky 2, is there any way to force a government change on another country?

Extreme governments (Communism and Fascism at least, not sure about any others) have a special CB to install their ideology in their country. If you were reasonably comfortable with modding I'm sure you could make a similar CB for other government types.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I'm in a Great War with England and Germany as the USA (jumped in on France and Austria's side), tossed in a few wargoals to make them give up their holdings in the Americas, completely smash them, and then the war ends and I get nothing. What happened?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

So I'm in a Great War with England and Germany as the USA (jumped in on France and Austria's side), tossed in a few wargoals to make them give up their holdings in the Americas, completely smash them, and then the war ends and I get nothing. What happened?

Your war leader, probably France (ugh), accomplished their goals and is under no obligation to honor yours. I've never gotten what I wanted when not a war leader. Otherwise, they're selfish jerks.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

StashAugustine posted:

Were you the war leader? Because if not, the war leader could have peaced out without taking your demands into account, and when the war leader peaces out, all the other countries peace out as well (excepting special circumstances, but gently caress if I remember them now).

edit: gawshdangit, beaten.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well that's really bullshit especially since I'm the only reason they won the loving war in the first place. I might load up an old save and just jump on Britain's poo poo as soon as the war ends. Overall, though, V2 wars just aren't as fun as CK2, never mind EU4. I feel it's just 'hit the doomstack with your doomstack, kill the terrible AI, then spend half an hour besieging provinces.'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well now you know how Woodrow Wilson felt.

e: Can you mod in new reforms to Victoria II? I want put in Victor Hugo's idea of a turd net. +production from agrarian RGOs, -prestige because Jesus Christ.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Well that's really bullshit especially since I'm the only reason they won the loving war in the first place. I might load up an old save and just jump on Britain's poo poo as soon as the war ends. Overall, though, V2 wars just aren't as fun as CK2, never mind EU4. I feel it's just 'hit the doomstack with your doomstack, kill the terrible AI, then spend half an hour besieging provinces.'

Welcome to trench warfare. I fought a two month battle against the French in Flanders with about 200,000 men on each side.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I recently lost a war with the Japanese for the Kansai region. I must have sent more than 600,000 Korean men to die in the trenches as both sides slaughtered each other with machine guns and poison gas. :smith:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

I maintain that Vicky wars are honestly the best of all 3. It's way more involved and complicated than CK2 or EU4 with more room for skill.

Never doomstack. Ever. You want a bunch of smallish sized units so you can maintain a front and avoid attrition, and you really need reserves. You shift the reserves around to reinforce battles and exploit breakthroughs. You can also use them to funnel the AI into traps, where you sucker them into attacking a unit that's dug-in on a mountain across a river. Then you shift a bunch of units and watch them take 10-1 losses and end up surrounded so they're instantly annihilated when they lose. You should never have to fight on their terms and you should barely ever have to be the one attacking.

Even when a battle escalates into a slugfest, you rotate units into battle, you don't keep a mass of them in one spot. You only want slightly more units in the battle province than can fit the frontage, since you have small modular units you can rotate them into battle. Rotating units out of battle lets them recover morale/org/strength and reduce the attrition your stack is taking. Pulling back weakened units and subbing in strong units also lets you maintain maximum frontage strength since you won't have worthless 500 man units taking up space and reducing your firepower.

If you have HOD and proper stack composition, sieges kindof fly compared to CK or EU.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 20, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SickZip posted:

I maintain that Vicky wars are honestly the best of all 3. It's way more involved and complicated than CK2 or EU4 with more room for skill.

Never doomstack. Ever. You want a bunch of smallish sized units so you can maintain a front and avoid attrition, and you really need reserves. You shift the reserves around to reinforce battles and exploit breakthroughs. You can also use them to funnel the AI into traps, where you sucker them into attacking a unit that's dug-in on a mountain across a river. Then you shift a bunch of units and watch them take 10-1 losses and end up surrounded so they're instantly annihilated when they lose. You should never have to fight on their terms and you should barely ever have to be the one attacking.

Even when a battle escalates into a slugfest, you rotate units into battle, you don't keep a mass of them in one spot. You only want slightly more units in the battle province than can fit the frontage, since you have small modular units you can rotate them into battle. Rotating units out of battle lets them recover morale/org/strength and reduce the attrition your stack is taking. Pulling back weakened units and subbing in strong units also lets you maintain maximum frontage strength since you won't have worthless 500 man units taking up space and reducing your firepower.

If you have HOD and proper stack composition, sieges kindof fly compared to CK or EU.

Maybe it's just that I jumped in late (as an American should) but the war seemed to me to be no more involved than a very serious revolt, just with navies. I cleaned up their army in a few months with poison gas, and then there wasn't much to do but add wargoals. The only serious wars I have to judge with are that and an incredibly boring Civil War. A tight war with no margin for error might be more enjoyable, I didn't 'click' on CK2 fighting until I beat the Seljuks at 5:1 odds by abusing attrition and the Carpathian mountains.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

wukkar posted:

Use the mouse-over tooltip.

Wasn't someone making a CK mod with the internet as the world?

EU4 mod, and it was me. I'm slow, and one guy, also been dealing with some IRL poo poo for a while. I'll be getting back to it here.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

synertia posted:

Welcome to trench warfare. I fought a two month battle against the French in Flanders with about 200,000 men on each side.

I had a war as Scandinavia against fascist Germany once. 2 years of constant, uninterrupted fighting around Kiel. 1.3 million men dead when the war ended the battle. I don't even want to know what poems that spawned.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

Maybe it's just that I jumped in late (as an American should) but the war seemed to me to be no more involved than a very serious revolt, just with navies. I cleaned up their army in a few months with poison gas, and then there wasn't much to do but add wargoals. The only serious wars I have to judge with are that and an incredibly boring Civil War. A tight war with no margin for error might be more enjoyable, I didn't 'click' on CK2 fighting until I beat the Seljuks at 5:1 odds by abusing attrition and the Carpathian mountains.

I've never been a fan of playing as America. It's really peaceful and when it isn't it's either easy or at your choice. People can't really threaten you. Prussia (my favorite), Sweden, or Sardinia-Piedmont are really good nations for getting a handle of combat because you'll really need to. Fending off France and Russia at the same time as Prussia is rough as hell while also being possible. Europe is generally more fun than the rest of the world because you will inevitably get in plenty of nasty fights. Though Russia, France and Britain tend to be a bit too strong and you'll almost inevitably dominate with them.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 20, 2013

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
The terrible interface for managing armies is the reason I can never seem to enjoy Vic2 :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Nozzle posted:

Well now you know how Woodrow Wilson felt.

e: Can you mod in new reforms to Victoria II? I want put in Victor Hugo's idea of a turd net. +production from agrarian RGOs, -prestige because Jesus Christ.

You can, though I don't remember exactly how it's done. The stuff you want is mostly in the Victoria 2/Common/issues file, but I don't know if you need to put stuff in anywhere else or how you handle the graphical side of things.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

. Overall, though, V2 wars just aren't as fun as CK2, never mind EU4.

I dunno about CK2. CK2's easily my favourite Paradox game and it's certainly a contender for favourite game, period, but here's the thing about CK2's combat: There's all kinds of deep poo poo going in terms of troop types, army composition, tactic selection, general assignments, trait bonuses and all that, but you've got very little control over it. You basically can't do anything about army composition unless you're willing to drop enormous fortunes on retinues and even then it's impossible to pick anything except a few presets and a cultural retinue. You can have very minor effects on it through what buildings you build but with the way CK2 works you'll be getting most of your soldiers from vassals and you have no say in what they build. Assigning generals is a little deeper but going into that isn't particularly necessary. You can get by with not assigning any at all, and even if you do bother with it for big fights it basically boils down to "Pick the guy with the biggest number unless he's got the Craven trait or you need a terrain specialty". And during actual battles there are loads of different tactics that give different bonuses and have different effects and you have zero control over that. Even if you're personally leading the army, you can't tell them what tactic to pick, which recently lead to me losing over 100,000 men, many of whom were from very expensive heavy infantry retinues, to a stack of Mongols that I greatly outnumbered. All of the guys I assigned to lead it decided to pick cavalry tactics despite the fact that the entire 150,000 strong army contained 42 heavy cavalry and less than 500 light cavalry. The Mongols all picked the horse archer tactic and it was an absolute slaughter.

In the end you can do very well in CK2 wars with no knowledge beyond "biggest number wins unless there are horse archers involved in which case whoever has those wins".

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 20, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dauntasa posted:

I dunno about CK2. CK2's easily my favourite Paradox game and it's certainly a contender for favourite game, period, but here's the thing about CK2's combat: There's all kinds of deep poo poo going in terms of troop types, army composition, tactic selection, general assignments, trait bonuses and all that, but you've got very little control over it. You basically can't do anything about army composition unless you're willing to drop enormous fortunes on retinues and even then it's impossible to pick anything except a few presets and a cultural retinue. You can have very minor effects on it through what buildings you build but with the way CK2 works you'll be getting most of your soldiers from vassals and you have no say in what they build. Assigning generals is a little deeper but going into that isn't particularly necessary. You can get by with not assigning any at all, and even if you do bother with it for big fights it basically boils down to "Pick the guy with the biggest number unless he's got the Craven trait or you need a terrain specialty". And during actual battles there are loads of different tactics that give different bonuses and have different effects and you have zero control over that. Even if you're personally leading the army, you can't tell them what tactic to pick, which recently lead to me losing over 100,000 men, many of whom were from very expensive heavy infantry retinues, to a stack of Mongols that I greatly outnumbered. All of the guys I assigned to lead it decided to pick cavalry tactics despite the fact that the entire 150,000 strong army contained 42 heavy cavalry and less than 500 light cavalry. The Mongols all picked the horse archer tactic and it was an absolute slaughter.

In the end you can do very well in CK2 wars with no knowledge beyond "biggest number wins unless there are horse archers involved in which case whoever has those wins".

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a DLC that expands battles for the player. You could enable optional control of battles that would play at 1x or 2x speed, enabling you to play a sort of mini-game against your enemies in battle, assigning tactics to use and such. It'd need balance to stop the player from easily picking the best poo poo each time but it could add a ton of depth for one of the few features that's still automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Randarkman posted:

It really seems as though Communist America is the best America.

This is what I keep telling people in real life too.

Randarkman posted:

I've started getting a number of events about people being dissatisfied with the totalitarian government, mass protests, people calling themselves the Sons of Liberty

I seriously want to live in your Communist Metal Gear Solid America.

DrProsek posted:

I believe the second ACW events are actually in the NNM already. I know I've seen most of the nations in Randarkman's game in my "Oh God How Do I USA" game, and I only run NNM.

As for the "what would a M-L USA think of the revolution", on the one hand it would kinda make for a good narrative of the USA having a tradition of revolutions to free its peoples from oppression, first from monarchy, now from capitalism, but on the other, it exemplifies something a more idealistic socialist would be most disgusted by; a popular revolution that promised freedom, but just put the people under another oppression under a different name. It's kinda cool to think about, how some countries would start viewing their own traditions and defining historical moments after a communist revolution. Like would armed communist revolution in Canada keep the Queen the head of state to keep some consistency and legitimacy if the Queen recognizes the new Canadian government, or would they denounce her as a tyrant? I'd actually pay good (see: :10bux:) money for DLC that just adds events for like when communists/fascists/republicans/monarchs take power in a nation, how the new government treats things like that.

I would pay for this if Paradox didn't use the idealistic definition of democracy in its games and instead really did some deep research into all of the possible government types from back then, really study countries under those governments and THEN release the dlc.

Or at least allow you to tweak certain things in said ideologies more specifically.

It's just frustrating to read or see things in game like DEMOCRACY FREEDOM! When during those times kids were working in factories losing their hands and arms and it really wasn't free unless you were a white male.

A V2 mod/dlc that delved into the intricacies of government types and took history we buried to make ourselves look good (thus making it more complex) would be rad as hell. Expecially if they included all 80393279 communist/marxist groups or what i'd like to call:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 20, 2013

• Locked thread