Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Man, King's Shield is really awesome. A protect that puts you into a defensive stance AND upon contact the attacker's Attack harshly falls? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I am using whoever I want. I'm just so indecisive and mad at GF for putting me in this 6 slot box. I've decided on changing out Charizard for (hopefully shiney) Aurorus. Because it is soooo beautiful.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So I'm sitting around wonder trading with some breeding offcuts and I decided that I should send out a Weedle in between a few of the better ones.

I get a Charmander :negative: I feel like a dick.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok so I took a bit of a break with this game after beating the E4. Now it's time to dive into the postgame stuff, what is there to do?

Off the top of my head:

Terminus Cave - the Z legendary
Mewtwo - I don't know where he is but I know he's somewhere in this game
Legendary Birds - Basically you encounter them randomly before you catch them, nothing you can do to speed it up
Battle Mansion - I always spend a lot of time on this in every Pokemon game I've played :shobon: Now that it's easy to battle online I think I'll actually make a proper team instead of doing stuff in programs like PO, so I need the items exclusive to BP.

Is there anything else that I can do for the first time now that I beat the E4?

I loved the tournaments in BW2, especially the Rental tournament but it looks like they're saving that stuff for Pokemon Z.

It seems like in general they've cut down on stuff to do in the post game since BW2 which is a bit of a bummer. I might have been the only person who did those "single type" competitions in BW2 and thought they were really fun. On the other hand they've added loads of online interaction which is basically what everyone has wanted since the 90s.

myron cope posted:

Man, King's Shield is really awesome. A protect that puts you into a defensive stance AND upon contact the attacker's Attack harshly falls? :swoon:

Aegislash seems stupidly good in general

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mewtwo's in Pokemon Town. You can do the final rival fight after you do at least one round in the Battle Maison, which unlocks the side quest for getting the rest of the Mega Stones and the Looker side quest. You need to enter one of the Pokemon Centers in Lumiose City for that to trigger, I'm not sure if it's a specific one or not.

Also, friend safari.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Solus posted:

no worse than a team of 6 Prankster Wimiscotts with Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Substitute and Random move.

Man I just want to annoy people not give them loving aneurysms.

Aegislash seems like it's going to be everywhere, it just sounds way too good from what I'm hearing. I also feel like the only person who doesn't dig the Honedge line.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It's weird, but I always get kind of annoyed whenever I get a pokemon from someone on Wonder Trade they obviously just got from another trade and immediately threw back in.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

myron cope posted:

It's not quite protect, unless protect has been changed. I've definitely burned the Aegislash in the Elite 4 even though it used King's Shield. Still pretty good and a very interesting mechanic.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a faster way to gain BP? I'm eyeing those power items to help breed monstrosities, I probably only need the Attack one for now, since I'm thinking Sandstorm team. I got quite a bit from the Battle Institute, even though I only went 4/5. Do different events in the Maison give more points than 1v1?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

rhoga posted:

It's not quite protect, unless protect has been changed. I've definitely burned the Aegislash in the Elite 4 even though it used King's Shield. Still pretty good and a very interesting mechanic.

I think status attacks still get through? Still, it's pretty effective against the AI!

e: and the poison immunity! And fighting/normal immunity! I did have an AI use...foresight and then wrecked me with a fighting move. That was fun.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 20, 2013

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Aww man, I just got lucario. I was really looking forward to getting one, but then I caught a scraggy early on and I've grown too attached to it to switch it out :(

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Echophonic posted:

Is there a faster way to gain BP? I'm eyeing those power items to help breed monstrosities, I probably only need the Attack one for now, since I'm thinking Sandstorm team. I got quite a bit from the Battle Institute, even though I only went 4/5. Do different events in the Maison give more points than 1v1?

Completing the first level of Singles gets you a total of something insane like 50 BP (battles 11-19 gets you 2 BP each, and beating the leader of will get you 20 BP). After that you unlock Super Singles, which gives an increased amount of BP, and I assume this is the same for all of the other events.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Legendary Birds - Basically you encounter them randomly before you catch them, nothing you can do to speed it up

This brings forth a question. Is it possible to encounter all 3? So far I have only seen Articuno and no signs of the other 2.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Recycle Bin posted:

Aww man, I just got lucario. I was really looking forward to getting one, but then I caught a scraggy early on and I've grown too attached to it to switch it out :(

Scraggy and Scrafty are so much cooler than lame rear end Lucario anyway.

Got a Shuppet through Wonder Trading Eevees, am I gonna need to basically beat the game for a Reaper Cloth?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good lord, my Mega Gengar rolled the water E4 guy's entire team in one hit each. Three Thunderbolts and an Energy Ball. The Champion was probably one of the easiest ones to date though, which was a bummer. Still. Finally done with the story. Time to go see Mewtwo, assemble the Mega stones, beat my skull against this game's Battle Tower equivalent, and have fun breeding and super training guys.

I think I'll keep Oberon, my Sylveon, as my post-game companion. I always take one and let the rest have a well-deserved break.

AZ. :unsmith:

Also, that ending theme. Really liked how it just launched into all the supported languages at once. Fun to see how different the song's lyrics are in the different languages~

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
When do stores actually change stock? My store has been selling the same crap since yesterday.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Bruceski posted:

Aside from "we're going with a land vs sea theme so we need 50 bajillion water pokemon" was there anything really bad about Gen 3?

Don't forget the inability to port all the Pokemon you wanted from Gen 2 to Gen 3 and the target demographic of the first gens being too cool for school.

I just found out Furfrou going into the box kills the hairstyle. drat it, I wasted 500 pYen.

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

This brings forth a question. Is it possible to encounter all 3? So far I have only seen Articuno and no signs of the other 2.

I think it's tied to your starter. I'm assuming you picked Chespin?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

For people asking about quick leveling earlier, I just did another run through of the Triple Battle at Restaurant Le Wow. The three benchwarmers were a level 1 Electrike, a level 1 Goomy, and a traded level 1 Shroomish. I used EXP O-Power Level 3 instead of Prize Money Level 3 this time, and with switching in the benchwarmers whenever it was safe, they became a level 31 Manectric, a level 32 Goomy, and a level 43 Breloom. Because of using EXP O-Power level 3, I could only use Prize Money level 1 on myself, so the cash from battles fell just under breaking even on the 100k entry fee, but the 24 mushrooms I got (I messed up a battle and won one turn too fast) is basically still almost all profit there.

I think doing that with animations off took me 20 minutes at the very most, and a lot of that was clicking past level up text boxes.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

MECHARL WINSLOW posted:

I think it's tied to your starter. I'm assuming you picked Chespin?

You assume correctly. So outside of having a spare game and trading I can't get the other two?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Anyone have a good recommendation for a pokemon HM Slave? I am playing pokemon Y, and just got my first HM.

Why do they even force us to use the HM system, why not you know have items.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Bibarel.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a pokemon HM Slave? I am playing pokemon Y, and just got my first HM.

Cut is a toss up, but you get a lapras that can get Waterfall, Strength, Rock smash, Surf and Strength?

If there is a flier that can learn cut, that should work.

Aegislash is probably my favorite pokemon mechanically... It either has the defense of Registeel, or the attack of Deoxys-N. I do kind of wish it was slower though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

UberJumper posted:

Because items don't involve cooperating with your pokemon.

I can only hope for Z that we get to be able to ride our own pokemon instead of a bike.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This game is designed to be like insanely easy right? I shouldn't expect the difficulty to suddenly ramp up or anything. I'm having a lot of fun with it in any case; I almost threw up when I saw my playtime at 40 hours today.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

beergod posted:

This game is designed to be like insanely easy right? I shouldn't expect the difficulty to suddenly ramp up or anything. I'm having a lot of fun with it in any case; I almost threw up when I saw my playtime at 40 hours today.

It takes a pretty big jump between gym 8 and Victory Road, but if you're finding it too easy just turn the exp share off. I had mine off most the game and found it about the right difficulty all the way through

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Gensuki posted:

If there is a flier that can learn cut, that should work.

Farfetch'd can use both and also rules.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

UberJumper posted:

Froakie can take everything but Fly in the 5 main HMs

kater
Nov 16, 2010

beergod posted:

If you want the game to be difficult it is pretty easy to be difficult. Just keep swapping out Pokemon regularly. It's made the game really interesting for me. For instance, I had no idea that Marowak was such a badass.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Hawlucha can learn Fly, Cut, Strength, and Rock Smash.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, Hawlucha all the way. It can even False Swipe via TM, so you can teach it that and alternate between FS and Rock Smash as needed if you need to break poo poo or catch poo poo.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Apparently I'm a complete loving moron, because I can't find where to supertrain and nothing on google shows how. Apparently it's an option in the PSS but I don't see it anywhere.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Riversideblues posted:

Apparently I'm a complete loving moron, because I can't find where to supertrain and nothing on google shows how. Apparently it's an option in the PSS but I don't see it anywhere.

There are Left and Right arrows on the top of the screen you can touch. The L and R buttons also work.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unbound posted:

I read somewhere that the one you ultimately can catch is related to your starter, not sure if anyone can confirm.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Mewtwo's in Pokemon Town. You can do the final rival fight after you do at least one round in the Battle Maison, which unlocks the side quest for getting the rest of the Mega Stones and the Looker side quest. You need to enter one of the Pokemon Centers in Lumiose City for that to trigger, I'm not sure if it's a specific one or not.

Also, friend safari.

Ah ok, thanks for that. And I can't believe I forgot about Friend Safari, I was actually pretty excited for it. Also collecting the Mega stones to mess around with some of the evolutions... I read somewhere that if Mega Kangaskhan uses Power Up Punch it gets the boost twice. Gonna punch the poo poo out of some battle maison

Karnegal posted:

Froakie can take everything but Fly in the 5 main HMs

Yeah as a bonus Greninja can actually do just fine with Waterfall and Surf as the only attacking moves you use. He has good attack and Special Attack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Everyone but Staraptor got a turn at the bat, and while Mega Gengar did most of the heavy lifting (Shadow ball, thunderbolt, dazzling gleam, sludge bomb) everyone else contributed.

Even my poor underleveled pangoro got to punch her way through an aurora dinosaur before we let our Tyrantrums claw each other to death.

Then afterwards I discover my friend safari has Tyrogues

:allears: it's been a good day.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Quick question; I'm at the fairy gym and I was wondering if I passed up sludge bomb anywhere. I'd like to get it on my Venusaur.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Filthy Haiku posted:

Quick question; I'm at the fairy gym and I was wondering if I passed up sludge bomb anywhere. I'd like to get it on my Venusaur.

It's either on victory road or somewhere you need waterfall to get to, so after the 8th gym.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

myron cope posted:

Until I smack you with my Contray Malamar and get a sharp attack boost. Malamar :swoon:

krebbed flam
Mar 10, 2013
I can confirmation bias the hell out of these new Pokemon games and say for certain that they did not touch the shiny rate, I'm just really lucky and cool you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is this nonsense, there're no Metal Coats at the Battle Maison? C'mon, man, you got stuff for Magmar, Electabuzz, and Rhyhorn, but no Scyther/Onix love?

Do you unlock more stuff as you go, or is there really only one Metal Coat in the game?

• Locked thread