Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snickles
Mar 27, 2010

screenwritersblues posted:

Also, Rashoman, how is Three Lives? I'm thinking about heading over there next month so that can start the book store tour. I have St. Mark's, Three Lives, and Jackson McNally on my list. I've been to The Strand and Shakespeare and Co., which I hate because of the staff. If you know anything about the others, then that would help too.

I know this is late, but three lives is pretty cool. I'm biased because a relative worked there, but its a genuinely cool little bookstore with a small but well curated selection.

As for other content, I'm looking for a good Indian or middle eastern resturant, preferably cheap. Last time I visited I picked a couple of places off yelp and was somewhat disappointed. We will be staying near Chinatown but anywhere in manhattan is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's the transport situation from JFK to Jersey City? I'll be flying in sometime during September, hopefully, and need to decide between JFK and EWR. I can find flights to the former that are a bit cheaper and without layovers, but apparently getting to JC from the airport is a huge PITA in terms of time and money that will offset the cost and time advantages.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a website I can use to figure out what trains and stations I need to use to get around with the subway?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mta.info. You'll be able to figure it out on the fly once you're here from the subway maps. Station agents in the booths usually have free copies of the map you can get, and many use an app like Hopstop or Embark so they don't have to get out of their seat to go look at the map that's posted all over the place in stations and in almost every train car.

Almost no one uses a schedule. You just go to your station and wait and unless it's at night on a weekend you usually don't have to wait too long. As a tourist if you are waiting for a while or have a long trip just go take a cab instead.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 1, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I found hopstop to be my favourite way when I visited.

Found the cabs a nightmare personally, but we were heading outside of manhattan and into williamsburg. This seemed to confuse the crap out of lots of cab drivers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Cool thanks, any place in the financial district I should hit on a Friday night?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Financial District is a dead zone at night relatively speaking. Go uptown a little bit to Canal and drink/dance at at bar named Macao. It's not much out of your way. A little further to the north/east of there and you're in the Lower East Side, which is a very busy nightlife area with countless options. Or if you want more bougie / clubby go to the west instead of the east at the relative same latitude.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a website I can use to figure out what trains and stations I need to use to get around with the subway?

Google Maps actually has live MTA times if you set to use public transport but their clock is ~6 minutes out so a bit confusing.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
My younger cousin and I are going need a break from visiting relatives in Long Island and jaunt to the city.

My cousin is not quite 21 so bars and such are out of the question. We're familiar with all the main museum and tourist trappings, having spent childhood in Queens. But as non-NY adults we realize we don't really know the City. I'm also completely unfamiliar with these supposed cool places to go in Brooklyn. Any suggestions of things or neighborhoods to tramp around in, being age-sensitive?

Sleep No More looks awesome. Sort of interactive stuff like that would be great.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 7, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sleep No More is 21+.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Sleep No More is 21+.

well we just verified its not, its now 16+. you get a giant X on your hand if you are under 21.

on a hilarious note the elevator broke and some people got stuck. i wonder if they played it off as part of the show.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I have to drive to NYC for a couple of days. Thinking of using airbnb so save some monies. Looks like Brooklyn area is most affordable/close to subway. How safe/easy it is to use street parking around there? Can I leave the car for a couple of days around Bushwik/Williamsburg?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've done most of the touristy stuff and still have until the end of the week still in NYC. In Brooklyn I was in the park between the bridges, at the Brighton Beach, 86th street (I think) and Williamsburg. But for the most part I was in Manhattan. Is there anything else in Brooklyn, or perhaps Queens or the Bronx that isn't very touristy but worth seeing and won't get me stabbed?

Edit: Where can I look for some cheap local art? Nothing fancy, just something with local character to decorate my sterile apartment.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 25, 2013

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I'm headed to New York as a tourist next week and staying for 4 days. It'll be my first time there and kind of pumped about it.

Kind of already have the big stuff already set in stone. Seeing Sleep No More, Fuerza Bruta and Matilda. Already booked my visit to the Statue of Liberty. Going to try to check out as many museums and parks as I can.

I have a couple primary questions, though:

1) If there is one district with cool shops I would want to visit, which would it be?

2) What's a good breakfast option in that city? Naturally, I get a lot of recommendations for eating food in the city, but they are all the food carts, delis, pizza places, delis, etc. that everyone tells you to visit. Way too many to even visit my first time there. But nobody tells me where to get a great benny or something. Does it even matter? With all the suggestions I've gotten, I'm wondering if I should even bother. I'm getting the impression that walking into any place in Midtown or Hell's Kitchen is like a 90% chance of a good meal, without me having expectations for it to live up to.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kuddles posted:

1) If there is one district with cool shops I would want to visit, which would it be?

2) What's a good breakfast option in that city? Naturally, I get a lot of recommendations for eating food in the city, but they are all the food carts, delis, pizza places, delis, etc. that everyone tells you to visit. Way too many to even visit my first time there. But nobody tells me where to get a great benny or something. Does it even matter? With all the suggestions I've gotten, I'm wondering if I should even bother. I'm getting the impression that walking into any place in Midtown or Hell's Kitchen is like a 90% chance of a good meal, without me having expectations for it to live up to.

Like, clothes? Probably SoHo, which is a mix of chain and smaller boutique designer stores. Every chain store in the world has a "Flagship" outlet on 5th Avenue too though along with the shitheel luxury bigboxes (French or Italianate names here). You may want to visit the respective fashion/clothing threads in YLLS to ask for suggestions for small shops to check out visavis your style -- most clothing designers start here.

Standard NY breakfast is a Baconeggandcheese from any of the mulitple street carts or delis selling them for 2 to 3 bucks, which comes on a largeish round piece of bread called a roll here -- I prefer mine without the cheese and with ketchup on one of those ghetto raisin bagels they usually have, but whatever. A nicer choice would be a nice bagel but those are rarer (I like David's Bagels on 1st Ave, Ess-A-Bagel is fine, anywhere where the bagels are made in-house really). People get different things on their bagels. If you have two days you could get a whole wheat everything bagel with chive cream cheese and lox and something less fancy. Truth be told New Yorkers don't care about breakfast very much. The 9-5ers fetishize Sunday Brunch (Cafe Orlin, hundreds of others) I think mostly because they're insufferable late 20s goobers who are enchanted with champagne with food upon waking.

Maybe you can try mangu for breakfast if you're in a Spanish part of town.

Eat a pastrami reuben at either Carneigie Deli or Katz's (I slightly prefer Katz's) while you're here.

Midtown is famous for having bad food options. Hell's Kitchen will have lots of Baconeggandcheese around.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 26, 2013

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm going to Manhattan for a short vacation from Oct 5 to Oct 11. I'm staying with a relative who works there, so I have weekdays to myself. What are some good things to do during the day in NYC? I know about the big museums and plan to hit some of them but I'm also looking for offbeat, unusual, and unique places to check out.

Also, I did manage to score a ticket to see the daily show. How early should I show up?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

clockworkjoe posted:

Also, I did manage to score a ticket to see the daily show. How early should I show up?

Early enough not to have your space taken by a stand-by.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4

From the LAN thread. It's actually a good guide to some basics.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm heading to Columbus, OH for Thanksgiving but because of my school schedule, I'm taking a 4:15 PM flight from Orange County, CA to Newark, staying there for 6 hours then taking a 6:10 AM flight to Columbus. I spent a night in Newark Penn Station earlier this year and it loving sucked and while EWR obviously isn't as bad, the wifi isn't free and everything will be closed.

So I want to go to the city. At 12:30 AM. On Thanksgiving day. Is this feasible? I have no issue paying for an airport shuttle on the way back to ensure I catch my flight. I just want to walk around Central Park at night or something.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I've literally never gone anywhere on vacation, and next year would like to change that with a trip to NYC. Getting there is easy for me (I live in NY and buses there are cheap). My issue is that I'm a timid guy who sucks at planning poo poo for myself. So can anyone recommend a good tour group for once I get there? Preferably one that's not too stupidly overpriced, as my budget for the whole trip will be low.

geera
May 20, 2003

Liar posted:

I've literally never gone anywhere on vacation, and next year would like to change that with a trip to NYC. Getting there is easy for me (I live in NY and buses there are cheap). My issue is that I'm a timid guy who sucks at planning poo poo for myself. So can anyone recommend a good tour group for once I get there? Preferably one that's not too stupidly overpriced, as my budget for the whole trip will be low.
Opinions are hit or miss, but Contiki has a pretty reasonable 4-day tour of NYC, which includes hotel and some meals. My wife and I took a Contiki tour of London and Paris a couple years ago and loved it, but we had a great guide and a solid group of people who were there for the experience, not just to get drunk. It seems the quality of the tour depends on the makeup of the tour group, which you don't really have any control over (but this is probably true for any tour group you sign up for).

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

geera posted:

Opinions are hit or miss, but Contiki has a pretty reasonable 4-day tour of NYC, which includes hotel and some meals. My wife and I took a Contiki tour of London and Paris a couple years ago and loved it, but we had a great guide and a solid group of people who were there for the experience, not just to get drunk. It seems the quality of the tour depends on the makeup of the tour group, which you don't really have any control over (but this is probably true for any tour group you sign up for).

This looks like basically exactly what I'd hoped for, and the hotel being included is fantastic. Plus I'm shocked at their low rates for big foreign tours. Maybe next year I can set my sights on a big foreign trip like exotic Canada.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Liar posted:

This looks like basically exactly what I'd hoped for, and the hotel being included is fantastic. Plus I'm shocked at their low rates for big foreign tours. Maybe next year I can set my sights on a big foreign trip like exotic Canada.

Looking at the itinerary, it seems like a majority of it is optional and thus costs extra. Make sure you factor that in.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
My girlfriend and I will be spending 3 or 4 days in the city starting Oct 25th. We'll be staying in the Upper East Side and exploring to the south. Are there any interesting Halloween events happening that weekend? I'm looking for an excuse to bring this on our trip.

munchy box
Dec 28, 2010
I will be staying in NY for around 6 nights the first week in January and would rather stay in a hostel given that I'll be travelling alone - can anyone recommend a nice, social one in a central-ish location? Also, is there anything particularly worth seeing at that time of year?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bowery Whitehouse hostel.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Shane-O-Mac posted:

My girlfriend and I will be spending 3 or 4 days in the city starting Oct 25th. We'll be staying in the Upper East Side and exploring to the south. Are there any interesting Halloween events happening that weekend? I'm looking for an excuse to bring this on our trip.

There's the Village Halloween Parade.

http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

munchy box posted:

I will be staying in NY for around 6 nights the first week in January and would rather stay in a hostel given that I'll be travelling alone - can anyone recommend a nice, social one in a central-ish location? Also, is there anything particularly worth seeing at that time of year?

New York Loft in Brooklyn is great. Decent neighborhood, great outdoor area. The Morgan Ave station (L) is two blocks away and is a safe walk 24 hours a day. Between that and the hostel are a few small grocers, at least one cafe, a bangin' pizza joint (Robertas), a live music venue, and a hell of a dive bar (King's County). You've got a dash of hipsterism here without being obnoxious. Walk towards Flushing Ave and there are a few more no-frills diners, bars, and ethnic restaurants worth checking out. Just remember to go EAST on Flushing; go west and you head towards a rougher area.

If you want to stay in Manhattan check out the Bowery House. I don't remember the rates but the accommodations and neighborhood are decent.

If all else fails, Hosteling International up around 103 & Amsterdam (UWS) is always my emergency standby choice. The crowd is always extremely friendly and extremely social, people are always grouping up to go out and do stuff, and the place was clean. My only complaint here is that the bathrooms were majorly outdated. They were badly ventilated so in the morning it would be a humid, poo poo-smelling jungle in there. It has a small grocer across the street, and your usual assortment of ethnic restaurants nearby. Walk one block over and you've got Broadway with its Starbucks and KFCs.

New York Lofts is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in except for the long-closed L Hostel. You can't go wrong there.

munchy box
Dec 28, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

New York Loft in Brooklyn is great. Decent neighborhood, great outdoor area. The Morgan Ave station (L) is two blocks away and is a safe walk 24 hours a day. Between that and the hostel are a few small grocers, at least one cafe, a bangin' pizza joint (Robertas), a live music venue, and a hell of a dive bar (King's County). You've got a dash of hipsterism here without being obnoxious. Walk towards Flushing Ave and there are a few more no-frills diners, bars, and ethnic restaurants worth checking out. Just remember to go EAST on Flushing; go west and you head towards a rougher area.

If you want to stay in Manhattan check out the Bowery House. I don't remember the rates but the accommodations and neighborhood are decent.

If all else fails, Hosteling International up around 103 & Amsterdam (UWS) is always my emergency standby choice. The crowd is always extremely friendly and extremely social, people are always grouping up to go out and do stuff, and the place was clean. My only complaint here is that the bathrooms were majorly outdated. They were badly ventilated so in the morning it would be a humid, poo poo-smelling jungle in there. It has a small grocer across the street, and your usual assortment of ethnic restaurants nearby. Walk one block over and you've got Broadway with its Starbucks and KFCs.

New York Lofts is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in except for the long-closed L Hostel. You can't go wrong there.

Excellent, thanks for this and the other shout for Bowery House - was aiming for Manhattan but New York Loft seems nice, I'll probably flip a coin or something.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

munchy box posted:

Excellent, thanks for this and the other shout for Bowery House - was aiming for Manhattan but New York Loft seems nice, I'll probably flip a coin or something.

Just so you know, this is the Bowery House I was talking about :

http://www.theboweryhouse.com/

This is the Bowery House the other guy was talking about :

http://www.whitehousehotelofny.com/
(that seems to be down now - try http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d261410-Reviews-Bowery_s_Whitehouse_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

Never stayed in Bowery White House, so I can't comment on that. Just wanted to make sure you knew they were two different places, as they both look VERY different.

Enjoy your trip!

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

I have two people staying in the Upper East side for 3 days and 3 nights. Would it be cheaper for the both of us to share a pay-per-ride Metro Card, or for us each to get a 7-day unlimited? It's tough for me to judge how many separate trips we'll actually need to take.

Also, how do transfers work when going from subway to bus and vice-versa? MTA.info makes it out like transferring from subway to bus is free, but I don't see how that's possible because you need to leave the station to get on the bus.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Also, how do transfers work when going from subway to bus and vice-versa? MTA.info makes it out like transferring from subway to bus is free, but I don't see how that's possible because you need to leave the station to get on the bus.

It's done by time. You can transfer from subway to bus or vice-versa within two hours of swiping the card to get into/onto the first leg.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I have two people staying in the Upper East side for 3 days and 3 nights. Would it be cheaper for the both of us to share a pay-per-ride Metro Card, or for us each to get a 7-day unlimited? It's tough for me to judge how many separate trips we'll actually need to take.

It would be more sensible for you to get individual pay-per-ride cards with about twenty bucks on there to start with and use taxis when traveling together sometimes. Three days is probably not enough to get your money out of an unlimited card given that you'll likely be traveling together at night a fair bit and in that case it'll be faster/easier/cheaper to share a cab.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Thanks everyone! We should be able to use the same MetroCard, right? According to MTA.info you can share a card between 4 people, but I don't see how they'd even know.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean yeah the leader guy can stand at the gate swiping away like a maniac to let people through but then you'll look like a herd of brand new Chinese immigrants. Also part of what makes the subway nice is that you don't have to haggle out rides home at the end of the night and the cards make a decent souvenir. And you get to make fun of someone for their poor swiping technique (it goes print facing you at the same speed at which you walk).

The cards register the last time they were used each time they're used. Unlimited cards have like a 15 minute time period before you can use them again. Maybe if you try to use a regular card more than four times in X time it won't let you through. I've seen people swiping groups through before but never a really large group that I've paid attention to so I can't say for sure if that happens or not.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Thanks. Since it's just my girlfriend and me, I think we'll share one card. If it doesn't work, we'll just get a second card at the machine.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
So we're going to New York next month for my dad's 65th birthday (his reasoning: "I'm turning 65 and want to eat bagels!"). If anyone has some cool recommendations for any of the following, I'd be wildly appreciative:

- best place to get bagels edit: just found the crassly-annotated map up this page
- a good comic shop
- should I go to Barcade?
- what is some good family stuff to do? We're probably going to hit up a bunch of museums, but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I will not have thought about.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 25, 2013

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Majuju posted:

So we're going to New York next month for my dad's 65th birthday (his reasoning: "I'm turning 65 and want to eat bagels!"). If anyone has some cool recommendations for any of the following, I'd be wildly appreciative:

- best place to get bagels
- a good comic shop
- should I go to Barcade?
- what is some good family stuff to do? We're probably going to hit up a bunch of museums, but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I will not have thought about.

Forbidden Planet and Midtown Comics are both good for buying comics. I have a slight preference for Midtown but FP's been better since they moved, and I like the area around it more.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Family stuff: see a play. If your family is plain Jane see The Lion King. If you're high minded go to stagegrade.com and pick out something highly regarded. If you're all adventurous and able to ambulate easily try Sleep No More.

Book of Mormon is also very good but expensive and often hard to get tickets for (still).

The Metropolitan museum is the best one for families. The range and the price (the 20 is suggested, part of their deal with NYC that lets them sit on park land is to provide at will pricing, so you can get in for a dollar if you want).

Dim Sum on a Sunday is a good family thing if you don't have a good Chinatown back home. There are numerous options, the best overall one being Hop Shing IMHO (or Flushing, but that's probably too far for ya).

Bagels: Ess-A-Bagel is solid and makes a bagel that no one could complain about. I also like David's Bagels. You can get a sort of bagel sandwich called a Super Heeb at Russ and Daughters that is very tasty (two kinds of smokey fish and a wasabi roe), and both Johnah Shimmel knishery (a knish is a heavy kind of potato muffin thing that you eat for lunch or dinner, often with mustard) and Katz's Deli are near there.

See a comedy show. Stand up had never been stronger than it is now. Comedy Cellar is the premier venu but there are lots of others right on its heels.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like Barcade a lot, they have great beer and the machines are only a quarter or two. It does get super crowded on weekend nights, so try getting there on the off hours.

• Locked thread