Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If I've learned nothing else from my time here, it's how to torture kids in more than one language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
I'm going to Taiwan next month and my cousin has requested that I stuff into my suitcase as much Fruit by the Foot as I can carry (he got addicted during his visit to USA). Which makes me wonder... is there a lot of American candy sold in Taiwan? Because I might just go into the supermarket and buy one of everything to make a grab bag

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

They sell snickers, twix, M&M's, skittles and some other basic things like that. I'm not a big snack eater though, I don't really pay attention.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
In terms of candy not available here:
  • Butterfingers
  • Reese's cups(full size or larger, not the minis) or pieces
  • Skor/Heath bars
  • Twizzlers
  • Chewing gum of various flavors(it's mostly eclipse or chiclet style gum here)
  • Nestle Crunch bars (though they may not travel well since they melt pretty easily)
  • Mike and Ikes
  • Airheads
  • Any clearly US-kinda stuff like that one which is a frankenstein chocolate bar with nougat and peanut butter and pretzels and other stuff inside, etc
Chocolate bars of various flavors are generally available like dark chocolate or mint creme filled chocolate as well as some Kinder chocolate stuff, just maybe not the standard Hershey's offerings. There's also sour straws, gummy stuff, and fruit chews at convenience stores, though Starburst would be good too now that I think about it.

Making a grab bag would probably be great, especially seeing as you have all the halloween candy to choose from now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

White chocolate. God drat would some nice white chocolate be... nice.

Also I've definitely seen Mike & Ikes for sale somewhere. I think it might have been either the supermarket-ish thing under Shinkong Mitsukoshi or the one on B1 of Xinxin Department Store on Linsen. I know they were around somewhere relatively convenient, because I bought some, since that was literally the first time I'd ever seen them.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Do you guys have an import supermarket? If not, maybe one of you should start one. Hong Kong has this place called A&M that's a "US grocery store" that sells nothing but imports from America. I buy deodorant and Reese's there. They've been paying prime rent for at least three years now so they must be doing well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There are high end supermarkets like City Super and Jason's that sell various imported stuff. I tend to buy sauces and curry mixes there. Hola also has some decent stuff like habanero sauce and cookies. Carrefour various from location to location but has a few basic imports. I think there was an import grocery store, but it was located out by the American School which honestly isn't a very convenient location to get to by MRT (stupid rich expats with real jobs and cars).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
There's "American import" stores here and there, but I've never really been in them; they just seem like places to buy A&F or other stuff like clothes and such and not a supermarket. The easiest "international stuff/food" place I can think of is City Super, which is good for an actual sort of variety in cereal for outrageous prices, but not really good for Yankee candy.

e: :argh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Getting Japanese and Korean junkfood is super loving easy though. A place just opened in my town that's selling those Market O brand Korean brownies for 39NT a box. They usually go for 99NT at Jason's.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
City Super and Marketplace are both in Hong Kong as well (and I think are Hong Kong companies actually) but not really what I mean. This A&M store is nothing but pure American goods, wall to wall, all in the original American packaging U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! :patriot: :911:

You can also request any product that they don't have in stock. So if you just have to have your Big Red, they'll order it for you and some guy will probably stuff a 2 liter in his suitcase on the next flight from Dallas.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Getting Japanese and Korean junkfood is super loving easy though. A place just opened in my town that's selling those Market O brand Korean brownies for 39NT a box. They usually go for 99NT at Jason's.

Those brownies are awful though; better to get a bunch of mix from costco and make me yourself.

E: duck you autocorrect

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 16, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Poor little Taiwan. We have Reese's over here now :getin:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

Poor little Taiwan. We have Reese's over here now :getin:

We have Reese's, but I've only seen it in 7-11s in limited promotion boxes where they put in like 5-6 mini cups(too much chocolate vs PB) for 2-3USD, which is just rude.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Costco also had a pretty good stretch last year of selling generic Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter Cups, but they were unfortunately mini-sized as well. At least they were more affordable. Honestly I'm trying to not be such a loving fatass lately so I haven't checked out Costco's sweets section in great detail, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen them there in a while.

...They weren't quite as good as real Reese's, but damnit they were at least easily obtainable.

There is definitely some candy shop inside an MRT station, but before the turnstyles obviously, that sells real Reese's (full-sized!) and other assorted import candy. It was pricier than it would be back home, but it was still affordable for the occasional splurge. I gotta figure out which station that was, but if any of you actual city folk know off hand, that'd be cool. It was definitely on the 淡水 Line, after the line comes out from underground.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Those brownies are awful though; better to get a bunch of mix from costco and make me yourself.

E: duck you autocorrect

Sometimes I find myself in good need of a ball sucking. You seem up for it? Suck my balls why don't you. Suck 'em good. ;)

For content: Those brownies rule.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Costco also had a pretty good stretch last year of selling generic Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter Cups, but they were unfortunately mini-sized as well. At least they were more affordable. Honestly I'm trying to not be such a loving fatass lately so I haven't checked out Costco's sweets section in great detail, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen them there in a while.

...They weren't quite as good as real Reese's, but damnit they were at least easily obtainable.

There is definitely some candy shop inside an MRT station, but before the turnstyles obviously, that sells real Reese's (full-sized!) and other assorted import candy. It was pricier than it would be back home, but it was still affordable for the occasional splurge. I gotta figure out which station that was, but if any of you actual city folk know off hand, that'd be cool. It was definitely on the 淡水 Line, after the line comes out from underground.

It's Zhishan Station, one stop north of Shilin. There's a shop that sells imported chocolates there. They have Cadbury Dairy Milks, so I definitely remember that place. It's pretty small though.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Looks like I'm in for both weddings, wish me luck!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Drink and eat everything offered to you.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
http://blink.so.cl/post?i=2Katkv7GrxZgttDY

Hi duckfarts, grats on the wedding

:D

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

http://blink.so.cl/post?i=2Katkv7GrxZgttDY

Hi duckfarts, grats on the wedding

:D
That is beautiful.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Basically the only thing we need in the OP.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've got a Taiwanese friend that used to work at a Hooters here. She said something like "Since everyone's boobs are small, we just do a lot of hulahoop tricks to make things sexy."

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
little chinese question: sometimes at 燒味/siu mei places they give you the option of having this paste on the side. It's like brownish-green, pretty finely grained, a bit coarser than natural peanut butter, with some stringy stuff in it and chopped scallions. It's unbelievably salty and very vaguely fishy. What is it called? I want to know what's in it/where I can get big fuckoff jars of it, because I love it so much.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Are you talking about garlic ginger with a hint of sa cha sauce that makes it brown? 薑容 ,沙茶醬.

Just dice garlic with slices of ginger. If you use a food processor it gets too goopy and my mom will kill you.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with the Taipei City DMV? Where is it and how is their English proficiency? I'd like to renew my licence and get insurance for my scooter for when I'm inevitably run down by a bus or taxi.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have actually been to the Taipei DMV. It is near Shilin, I forget which station exactly, but walking distance from whichever station it's next to. There's lots of English signs and the staff seemed capable of following the flow chart even if they couldn't communicate directly with me.

Caberham

I can get a Xiaomi pretty cheap right now. The Taiwanese seem a little skittish about them, but they're totally fine right?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
If Taiwanese are anything like Hong Kongers (they are), they just say "IT'S MAINLAND DON'T BUY DON'T BUY" but Xiaomis are actually really good if you don't have the cash to buy a mainstream brand. Some sperglords like caberham actually prefer them over Samsung et al, but that's going too far I think.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
For what it's worth, all the kids in CS/EE/related departments at universities (read: nerds) love them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's Android,it's cheap, and for its price,pretty drat fast. Repairs are cheap too, 400 rmb to replace a cracked screen instead of 2000.

But like all smart phones , you probably need a space battery and a colostomy bag, aka.battery power pack.

After using it for a while though, the phone has its quirks, you just need to go easy on the number of background apps. For all general purposes it's fine!

I was at the Chinese ethnic minority museum today in Beijing. There was a Taiwan section!

kenner116
May 15, 2009
How should I go about getting a Hongmi phone in Taipei? If I wander around Guanghua will I stumble across one? I've already missed a couple months of Chinagoon WeChats and that's just not acceptable.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
For the price, I'm just looking for a reliable MP3 player, internet enabled device so I can finally start using Line like everyone else in this country.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, I got myself a Xiaomi 2S 32GB. Been playing around with it for about a day. It's pretty nice. It cost me 6000NT for the phone and prepay and I got a 30 month contract with that at about 800 per month, unlimited data. So far it seems pretty good. I installed Neutron and got all my FLAC on there and it works great.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, I got myself a Xiaomi 2S 32GB. Been playing around with it for about a day. It's pretty nice. It cost me 6000NT for the phone and prepay and I got a 30 month contract with that at about 800 per month, unlimited data. So far it seems pretty good. I installed Neutron and got all my FLAC on there and it works great.

How's the battery life on that? I've been thinking about getting the same phone. And which carrier is giving you unlimited data for that price?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
FarEastOne. I'm not sure about the battery life. Seems OK. I got an external battery as a freebie though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Battery life is pretty good much much better than my old Galaxy Nexus. The Xiaomi kernel is really good at background battery management. So with constant 3G, constant video and forums access you can use it for 3.5 hours. If you are not streaming 3G video then you can use the battery for a good 8 hours. Standby time can last 20 hours.

kenner116 posted:

How should I go about getting a Hongmi phone in Taipei?

Hongmi's are weird and only have 2G access outside China. If you are looking for a budget phone just get whatever entry level smartphone from those weird Chinese companies. If you want to go up a tier without waiting for horrendous xiao mi delivery time then try the Meizu MX 2, or Oppo R819.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Anyone going to be at halloween massive this weekend? I just won two tickets at the red theatre halloween bash for 2nd best costume. So I'll be dragging my rear end out there for some more halloween drinking fun time. Pride was also awesome if anyone managed to get to that. I was the giant waiguoren dressed like zangief.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 28, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So in the short 5 months since Google beat the Taiwanese government in court and was allowed to sell apps without a 7 day return period, they've become the #5 generator of revenue on Google Play.

How much LINE and Puzzles & Dragons get played there? Are there any other apps you see as really popular? Is Apple totally uncool there? I'm really curious because Taiwan is super small and it's spending a lot more than much larger territories like Russia and most European countries... and Taiwan barely registers on iOS charts where the revenue as a whole is a lot more.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just lmao if you don't have every Line sticker pack. Gonna post some hello kitty stickers to all my friends, oh yeah :cool:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

So in the short 5 months since Google beat the Taiwanese government in court and was allowed to sell apps without a 7 day return period, they've become the #5 generator of revenue on Google Play.

How much LINE and Puzzles & Dragons get played there? Are there any other apps you see as really popular? Is Apple totally uncool there? I'm really curious because Taiwan is super small and it's spending a lot more than much larger territories like Russia and most European countries... and Taiwan barely registers on iOS charts where the revenue as a whole is a lot more.

I saw some Defender of Texel promotions or signs or I don't remember exactly at Guanghua Market. Some friends of mine were getting into PAD or PAD clones like Tower of Saviors, though I don't know if they're still playing them. LINE is picking up fast due to the stickers and such, and is pretty much replacing WhatsApp. Both iOS and Android devices do pretty well here, but I can't really tell what the split is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
People spend money on Line?