Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Chucat posted:

I know it's not in the films but if I recall correctly in the last episode of the Tartakovsky cartoon Mace Windu just went "gently caress this" and crushed Grevious' chest.

They probably thought he was strong in the Force or something and didn't bother attacking him directly with it, probably for the same reason Vader doesn't go around trying to choke Luke or Obi-Wan.

Basically he has a presence in the Force (like every living thing does) but he's not any more skilled in it than someone like Admiral Piett or Jawa #17 is, though that does make me wonder if Droids in general have some sort of presence in the Force (are they even alive?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1UPccudqmU

It makes the fight in Revenge looks silly in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Brinner posted:

Wait what, Grevious has the transfused blood of Master Syfo-Dyas no? Hence his Jedi training from dooku, and the difficulty he faces for other Jedi.

It still doesn't make sense. The only explanation of why Jedi don't just hurl each other around constantly is that they can ward off that kind of thing with their Force power, but Grievous doesn't have any Force ability whatsoever. I'm kind of ashamed that as a gigantic Star Wars fan I never realized how little sense Grievous makes before right now

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mandrel posted:

It still doesn't make sense. The only explanation of why Jedi don't just hurl each other around constantly is that they can ward off that kind of thing with their Force power, but Grievous doesn't have any Force ability whatsoever. I'm kind of ashamed that as a gigantic Star Wars fan I never realized how little sense Grievous makes before right now

Long answer: Grevious is skilled in fighting with lightsabers, since lightsabers are a Jedi weapon, they just assumed he was a very skilled Jedi that happened to be a cyborg or something, so they didn't even consider trying to choke him or crush him or anything like that because it'd be completely and utterly pointless and while you were doing that he'd be carving you up.

Short answer: Every Jedi apart from Mace Windu is a moron who can't sense the Force in other living beings. Yoda never saw Grevious but if he did he'd have turned him into a coke can.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Brinner posted:

Wait what, Grevious has the transfused blood of Master Syfo-Dyas no? Hence his Jedi training from dooku, and the difficulty he faces for other Jedi.

Wait, what? I have only seen AOTC and ROTS once, doesn't AOTC imply that Syfo-Dias is Sideous? Syfo-Dias, Sideous. Similar and I thought the same. Is Syfo-Dias some EU thing then or did I misinterpret it?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Wank posted:

Wait, what? I have only seen AOTC and ROTS once, doesn't AOTC imply that Syfo-Dias is Sideous? Syfo-Dias, Sideous. Similar and I thought the same. Is Syfo-Dias some EU thing then or did I misinterpret it?

Obi Wan's conversation with Yoda on Kamino implies that Syfo Dyas was a real Jedi Council member that either was working with Palpatine or was killed by Palpatine, who then assumed his identity to make the army

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Wank posted:

Now that you mention it, I do believe it is technically EU. While you are right about what the films portray, originally Sifo-dyas's story was meant to be expanded upon in the 3rd movie. They ended up releasing a novel in the interim titled Labyrinth of Evil, as well as a few comics.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

aBagorn posted:

Obi Wan's conversation with Yoda on Kamino implies that Syfo Dyas was a real Jedi Council member that either was working with Palpatine or was killed by Palpatine, who then assumed his identity to make the army

In any event it's strange that that plot point was established as something of a mystery in episode 2, and then went completely unexplained and uncommented on in episode 3. Why is it worth mentioning that a Jedi we had never heard of before and never heard of again purchased the clone army?

I feel like Qui Gon was originally come into play in episode 3 as having had something to do with it, but then because of scheduling conflicts or whatever reason it never happened.

A more fun assumption to make is that the Sypho-Dyas who was on the Jedi Council was actually just Palpatine wearing a fake mustache, keeping tabs on the council and spreading dissent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Sifo-Dias plot point rules because it's transparently obvious that he's Palpatine, and yet it's never 'officially' resolved because the Jedi are dumb and clouded by the dark side. Instead of figuring things out, Yoda is just happy to feel relevant. The 'failure' of the plot is a failure of the characters.

Then, since wookiepedia demands an official, canonical explanation, the EU bullshits a lump of fake plotting right into a waiting shopping cart.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Sifo-Dias plot point rules because it's transparently obvious that he's Palpatine, and yet it's never 'officially' resolved because the Jedi are dumb and clouded by the dark side. Instead of figuring things out, Yoda is just happy to feel relevant. The 'failure' of the plot is a failure of the characters.

Then, since wookiepedia demands an official, canonical explanation, the EU bullshits a lump of fake plotting right into a waiting shopping cart.

Well it's confusing because after it is clear that Sifo-dias is Palpatine wearing a moustache, the movie then goes to some effort to explain that Sifo-Dias actually is a real person the Jedi used to hang out with, who is not Palpatine or Dooku. You can pretty clearly extrapolate that Palpatine made the order under this dude's name right when he died, it's a serviceable mystery, just very clumsy in its execution.

I just googled him and the EU apparently has this elaborate explanation involving betrayal and visions of the future... why? I don't know.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

One of the "bonus episodes" of Clone Wars coming out in early 2014 is going to involve Syfo-Dias in some way. So that may shed some light on (or very possibly further confuse) the issue.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

A more fun assumption to make is that the Sypho-Dyas who was on the Jedi Council was actually just Palpatine wearing a fake mustache, keeping tabs on the council and spreading dissent.

Hmm, now that I think about it more (with what aBagorn said) I kind of remember thinking Syfo-Dias is a small attempt to give Palpatine some backstory. My expectation was exactly above (and it mirrors what Obi-Wan tells Luke about Darth Vader) that Sideous IS Syfo-Dias not that he literally murdered Syfo-Dias and stole his identity. How that is supposed to actually play out, i.e. fake moustache, I don't know and it doesn't really matter.

It is funny, Lucas has some really neat ideas in the Prequels but the EU always seems to take them the completely wrong way (and Star Wars nerds, I suppose).

For example, I believe the Jedi Council are literally supposed to be "bad" (or at least not the "good guys" in the way you would expect) in the prequels, that is completely implied and I don't care what even Lucas says about that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wank posted:

For example, I believe the Jedi Council are literally supposed to be "bad" (or at least not the "good guys" in the way you would expect) in the prequels, that is completely implied and I don't care what even Lucas says about that.

Yoda actually tells Mace Windu (or maybe it was Obi-Wan) "yup we've been dumb blind assholes this whole time" sometime in episode 3 so I'm guessing that was at least partially the intent.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Wank posted:

The movie doesn't do anything with this at all, sadly. The subtext is in there, but the movie itself is framed as though the Jedi were the good guys all along with only a few brief moments where it's really openly implied (and usually by Anakin, the really evil one). There's something to be said about these movies being pro-Jedi propoganda retellings of history, intentionally vague enough for that to be plausible.
It would have been nicer if Anakin's betrayal had been a little more nuanced. I love the idea that turning Sith was basically an honest person's reaction to the Jedi at their totalitarian height, and Yoda and Obi-Wan get a lifetime to think in exile, about how on some level it's all their fault and this makes them wiser, but instead you get a madman who kills a bunch of children and then says 'from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!' Which is just...wrong on so many levels. What kind of person says that out loud? How can he justify that point of view with all the child murder? The Jedi are pretty evil, and somehow Lucas managed to create a villain so much more evil their claims about who is evil and who isn't just fall on deaf ears.
In other words Lucas is a postmodern genius.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wank posted:

Hmm, now that I think about it more (with what aBagorn said) I kind of remember thinking Syfo-Dias is a small attempt to give Palpatine some backstory. My expectation was exactly above (and it mirrors what Obi-Wan tells Luke about Darth Vader) that Sideous IS Syfo-Dias not that he literally murdered Syfo-Dias and stole his identity. How that is supposed to actually play out, i.e. fake moustache, I don't know and it doesn't really matter.

It is funny, Lucas has some really neat ideas in the Prequels but the EU always seems to take them the completely wrong way (and Star Wars nerds, I suppose).

Syfo-Dias was most likely Lucas changing his mind about something between movies. Just an abandoned idea.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I thought the Jedi didn't just hurl Grievous around with the Force because their position was that the Force was for defense, never directly attacking with it. Isn't that supposed to be the contrast between Vader (choking the poo poo out of dudes, hurling boxes into people) and Luke (Force superjump, lightsaber deflection) and why it's supposed to be disturbing that Luke chokes the guards at Jabba's palace?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought the Jedi didn't just hurl Grievous around with the Force because their position was that the Force was for defense, never directly attacking with it. Isn't that supposed to be the contrast between Vader (choking the poo poo out of dudes, hurling boxes into people) and Luke (Force superjump, lightsaber deflection) and why it's supposed to be disturbing that Luke chokes the guards at Jabba's palace?

Plenty of force pushes going on against droids and aliens from the Jedi.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had always assumed that whatever tiny organs and brain were left on Grievous they still had some kind of force sensitivity.

If not, well...that's loving stupid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In the OT, yes. Force is typically defense for Yoda/Obi Wan/Luke, and offense for Vader/Palpatine. Luke uses choke offensively at the beginning of Return when he's hooded though.

In the PT, Obi Wan and Anakin get into DBZ style force push battles with each other and Qui Gon and Obi Wan fling droids around with it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Darko posted:

Syfo-Dias was most likely Lucas changing his mind about something between movies. Just an abandoned idea.

I did some more googling because I am ocd and was not satisfied with our discussion and found out that in an early draft, his name was "Sido-Dias" and Obi Wan and Yoda both react like "Who? We've never heard of this guy". So he was originally definitely Palpatine with a mustache, then somewhere along the way Lucas made him an actual person.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I did some more googling because I am ocd and was not satisfied with our discussion and found out that in an early draft, his name was "Sido-Dias" and Obi Wan and Yoda both react like "Who? We've never heard of this guy". So he was originally definitely Palpatine with a mustache, then somewhere along the way Lucas made him an actual person.

That script also contained some good foreshadowing for Dooku in exposition early on stating how awesome he was at lightsabers, right? Although, I guess that was filed in the deleted sequences or something.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Speaking of good Star Wars characters ruined by Star Wars: Dooku. The guy in Attack of the Clones seems almost like it pains him to be siding against the Jedi, like he might actually be just a guy with a different perspective on what was right and how the Jedi had lost their way. He seems genuinely upset when the Jedi refuse to surrender peacefully.

But thanks to the Expanded Universe, he's a huge rear end in a top hat evilman who killed his best friend to prove himself to the dark lord and fed his blood to a robot for some reason. Like, he can be a bad guy, fine, but don't make him so crazy evil about it. Gahh, this annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hbomberguy posted:

Speaking of good Star Wars characters ruined by Star Wars: Dooku. The guy in Attack of the Clones seems almost like it pains him to be siding against the Jedi, like he might actually be just a guy with a different perspective on what was right and how the Jedi had lost their way. He seems genuinely upset when the Jedi refuse to surrender peacefully.

But thanks to the Expanded Universe, he's a huge rear end in a top hat evilman who killed his best friend to prove himself to the dark lord and fed his blood to a robot for some reason. Like, he can be a bad guy, fine, but don't make him so crazy evil about it. Gahh, this annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

This is why I don't pay attention to the EU and I am glad the new movies are mostly ignoring it.

Count Dooku was a cool character in an otherwise not cool movie, and seeing the look on his face when he realizes Sidious was betraying him was actually really cool.

drat it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I can't stop wanting to rewatch the prequels. I just did, and now I want to again. Most scenes CANNOT remain inside my brain, they just pour out of my head as I'm rewatching them. The last time I watched Phantom Menace I can't for the life of me remember seeing the fight in the desert. I don't know if it's the pacing or what, but barely any of these movies' scenes stick with me. The Phantom menace is over two hours, but it feels like forty minutes that could do with another four hours for context. I don't even know how that's possible. I think that's why people like the Expanded Universe, it quenches the utter thirst the prequel movies give you for context, just to figure out what's going on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Wank posted:

Palpatine probably just showed up at the council one day in disguise going, "Oh hey guys I'm a Jedi too, mind if I sit in on your meeting today?" And they were just like, "sure whatever, cool" and never really bothered to check out his credentials.

The Jedi Council in the prequels isn't evil, it's just lovely and stupid. It's not even subtle, we have a scene where Windu comes to Yoda and asks if they should tell the senate that they don't know what they're doing anymore, and Yoda's like "Nah, better not."

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 15, 2013

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

kiimo posted:

I had always assumed that whatever tiny organs and brain were left on Grievous they still had some kind of force sensitivity.

If not, well...that's loving stupid.

General Grievous was a pretty stupid idea and a wholly unnecessary character.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
So a great fit in a pretty stupid and wholly unnecessary trilogy.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

The scene where Dooku talks to Obi Wan while he's held in the force field on Geonosis. People (and the movies) forget about it. "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!" You know, maybe he was being serious. After all he was the guy sort of in charge of the troops fighting Palpatine's guys.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are heroes on both sides!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The scene where Dooku talks to Obi Wan while he's held in the force field on Geonosis. People (and the movies) forget about it. "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!" You know, maybe he was being serious. After all he was the guy sort of in charge of the troops fighting Palpatine's guys.

Nah, that was just some poetry. It rhymes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Basically, the trio of "apprentices" in the prequels are all copies of Darth Vader, but ones that can only emphasize particular elements. Maul is most like Vader visually, with black hood and cloak, Dooku takes the urbane, articulate Vader, and Grievous is Vader the cyborg. All of them also exceed the original trilogy's weapons- Maul has the double-sided laser sword, Dooku the laser sword with the funny handle, and Grievous has four laser swords. This is even funnier when you consider the variety of EU efforts to make special laser swords too.

I think that Grievous probably isn't meant to be Force-sensitive, and is only able to kill Jedi because modern Jedi don't understand the Force well enough. Obi-Wan, who within the films doesn't adhere to the rigid, false code of the Jedi, is able to fight him and win, because he has a better understanding of the Force and thus a better connection to it. This is why Obi-Wan and Anakin are able to throw each other around in ROTS- both of them have truer connections to the Force and so are able to knock other people around where latter-day Jedi cannot, but neither has yet understood the principles that lead Jedi to not throw people around.

Droids also fairly obviously have a presence in the Force, going by TESB's dialogue, but the elitist notion of the Force generally present in Star Wars fans' collective imaginations leads people to assume that droids are incapable of using the Force, with the only contrary EU notion being a mediocre short story.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Effectronica posted:

I think that Grievous probably isn't meant to be Force-sensitive, and is only able to kill Jedi because modern Jedi don't understand the Force well enough.
Based on Obi-wan's conversation with Yoda and Mace in the temple in AOTC, I think answer is that younger Jedi have become arrogant.

I'd never considered that conversation beyond an explanation for Anakin's behavior, but in light of what we saw in ROTS, it would be helpful in executing Order 66 if a good portion of the targets were oblivious with a smug superiority over the clones. Given that Yoda indicates that it's a recent phenomenon, I wonder how Sideous pulled it off? Probably some propaganda that Jedi would never consider bad for them, like holo-programming proclaiming how awesome they are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cheesus posted:

I wonder how Sideous pulled it off? Probably some propaganda that Jedi would never consider bad for them, like holo-programming proclaiming how awesome they are.

His dependence on the Jedi as 'defenders of the republic' wouldn't have hurt.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darko posted:

Wasn't Syfo-Dias someone accidentally mistranscribing the name into a horrendous typo and Lucas just rolling with it?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cheesus posted:

Based on Obi-wan's conversation with Yoda and Mace in the temple in AOTC, I think answer is that younger ALL the Jedi have become arrogant.

More accurate summation I think. The prequel era Jedi are screwed up massively and (even worse) think they're better than ever. I mean, Obi-Wan has to literally ask a five year old to figure out "uh, maybe Kamino isn't in our perfect archive"; that's just sad when you think about Obi-Wan being one of the BETTER Jedi in the prequels. You'll note how fast the Jedi Council members died to Palpatine when they went to arrest him, the only one of the Jedi who actually beat Palpatine was their greatest combatant Mace. I still love the bit in the ROTS novelization where Yoda realizes in his fight that not only could he not beat the Emperor, he never had a chance to begin with. The prequel Jedi are flashy and all, but on reflection they aren't actually very good at dealing with anything approaching them in skill. Probably doesn't help way back a thousand years ago when the Sith were supposedly beaten at Ruusan they took most of the warrior Jedi with them; the majority left (who would be running things) would have been the more passive Jedi who weren't in the fighting (or, more cynically, the ones too busy navel-gazing to focus on dealing with the little Sith problem then). With those issues, I can see a cybered up warrior like Grievous being able to match and defeat them in droves. Though really I prefer Jedi being vulnerable to talented non-Force sensitives as a rule anyway (I rather liked Jango blowing one away in AOTC); keeps 'em more grounded and doesn't leave the average people as chumps.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One thing that would've worked is to play up the "knight" part of the Jedi Knights, portraying them as sort of a feudal warrior aristocracy, with the Jedi Order being literally a religious knightly order. Their arrogance and decadence would be communicated in a language westerners understand natively, for one thing.

The potential class undertones of that would be different, though: the clones would then more obviously be an underclass, which Palpatine literally created from nothing in order to use against his enemies. Anakin's background would take on a different significance as well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

which Palpatine literally created from nothing

Rude.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Michael Arndt's out.

Variety posted:

J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have taken over screenwriting duties on “Star Wars: Episode VII,” replacing Michael Arndt, who was originally penning the project.

“I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a ‘Star Wars’ story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production.”

Disney and Lucasfilm released the news on StarWars.com.

Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.

And, as to (apparently) why...

I mean, Kasdan will probably churn out a good script, but gently caress if my interest in Episode 7 didn't drop significantly after hearing this. :(

VVVVV Not so much that, it's just that we're probably getting a more "traditional" (given Kasdan's history and JJ's self-admitted fanboy-ism) Star Wars movie rather than whatever crazy thing the writer of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine might have dreamed up. I'll admit though, I'm being needlessly nitpicky, especially at this early point in the film's production. :v:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 24, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Cross-Section posted:

Michael Arndt's out.

And, as to (apparently) why...

I mean, Kasdan will probably churn out a good script, but gently caress if my interest in Episode 7 didn't drop significantly after hearing this. :(

Are you seriously bummed that the man who wrote The Empire Strikes Back got hired for the new Star Wars movie?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lawrence Kasdan being involved is the most exciting thing I've heard about this movie.

I wonder how this "major shift in the story" meshes with previous claims that they were working from an outline, or something like that, provided by George Lucas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Twist ending: Supershadow.com was right about everything.

• Locked thread