Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

KoldPT posted:

Novas Oportunidades :v:

I need feminism because way too many people are uncreative at babbynaming.

My favorite bit about this map is the Jennifer/Jessica divide in '84/'85 because I knew a pair of twins in high school who were named Jennifer and Jessica, who were born in '84 and Jennifer was the slightly older of the two. I like to imagine the few minutes between their births as the exact boundary between the two eras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What happened in 1970 that made Jennifer so popular? It seems like it has to have been a change in how they counted or something for it to change so drastically all at once.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

What happened in 1970 that made Jennifer so popular? It seems like it has to have been a change in how they counted or something for it to change so drastically all at once.

Supposedly it was this film.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

Man, Al Gore has a lot to answer for.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

computer parts posted:

Film and TV probably have a massive role in these overall. Emma seemed to explode out of nowhere around mid-2000s and that's around the same time Rachel and Ross had the kid with a same name in Friends.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Film and TV probably have a massive role in these overall. Emma seemed to explode out of nowhere around mid-2000s and that's around the same time Rachel and Ross had the kid with a same name in Friends.

I was thinking it was the Harry Potter movies & Emma Watson. Because honestly who would name a kid Hermione?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Paradoxish posted:

This is a super interesting map, and for some reason it's really surprising to me that naming trends actually follow patterns like this. I particularly like how Jessica and Ashley fought a desperate struggle for dominance after Jennifer's 1970s reign of terror, only to be stabbed in the back by Emily once the late 90s rolled around.
A veritable Name of Thrones!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What is very interesting to me about that is the fact that, since the end of the domination of Jennifer, there has been no name that has held sway over the entire country for an extended period of time the way Jennifer had. Instead, the names seem to proliferate and decay, with regional blocs rising, expanding, but leaving room for other regional blocks to take their place.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

That's the case at the federal level but not at the state level. As an Iowan, my sense is that the party that refused to accept the non-partisan reapportionment system would be punished by the electorate. In any case, Iowa might be home to some firebrands like Steve King but it's very close to 50-50 D:R, and the state-level parties are tend to be moderate. The main leader of the reactionary movement in Iowa is a guy named Bob Vander Plaats, and he's tried to run for governor three different times, each time getting stuffed in the primary by a more moderate candidate with better ties to the business establishment.

Oh, awesome. I can imagine that state politics would be way less prone to shutdown tactics, because of people feeling 'closer' to the politics/government, while also having a greater connection to their representatives as opposed to abstract parties. The Iowa system sounds really cool when that's taken into account.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

DrSunshine posted:

What is very interesting to me about that is the fact that, since the end of the domination of Jennifer, there has been no name that has held sway over the entire country for an extended period of time the way Jennifer had. Instead, the names seem to proliferate and decay, with regional blocs rising, expanding, but leaving room for other regional blocks to take their place.

I bet that's because media is much more diversified now. You don't really have the same three/four TV channels everyone watches. Even big shows are spread out among broadcast and cable channels. Of course, it's all owned by less companies now, but it feels so much more wide.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

thecolorpurple posted:

A great post.

Thank you for writing that out, it was very informative. I've always wanted to get a better perspective on the Alsace-Lorraine issue and I think you did a fantastic job of summarizing the region's history.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 20, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Skeleton Jelly posted:

I kinda expected Jennifer to undergo a minor resurrection as Friends gained on popularity. Or at least few Rachels / Monicas to appear.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bolivia's just being a dick here

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

computer parts posted:

I like that you can tell exactly when Twilight got popular.

You can also tell when Friends was In its last two seasons by the number of Emma's that pop up.

Edit; beaten badly, few new posts I didn't see.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:japan:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm surprised Emma is so popular, it's always struck me as a name that old ladies have, like Delores or Agnes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Uh, Japan, everyone knows our island is a witch riding a pig, you can't just trample over our heritage like that!

:britain:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

univbee posted:

I think Montreal is too major of a Canadian city with way too much going on Canada-wide to ever truly split off. But it could be worse, at least you're not visiting Dahala Khagrabari (I think they were previously mentioned in this thread). They're the world's only counter-counter enclave, a Matryoshka doll of border shenanigans (first you go to Bangladesh, and then to an Indian enclave within that, which itself contains a smaller Bangladeshi enclave, which finally has the Indian Dahala Khagrabari):

They're E.

Yo dawg I heard you like enclaves...

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 20, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Reveilled posted:

Uh, Japan, everyone knows our island is a witch riding a pig, you can't just trample over our heritage like that!

:britain:

What's Northern Ireland then?

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
The ripped off head of the Ireland teddybear

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

To what should we attribute Lesotho's lack of immortals?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

To what should we attribute Lesotho's lack of immortals?

AIDS is a huge problem in Lesotho.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How the hell does "Jennifer" take over like that?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Baloogan posted:

How the hell does "Jennifer" take over like that?

There was no big cause like a famous woman named Jennifer. It just sort of caught on as a trend which gained more momentum as Jennifer-density intensified.
County-by-county support for the top 25 NCAA football teams.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If my county favors Ohio State, it's because 90% favors a school not listed and the remaining 10% is a hodgepodge of a bunch of teams with Ohio State being the greatest.

We've been top 25 other years. :mad:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

There was no big cause like a famous woman named Jennifer. It just sort of caught on as a trend which gained more momentum as Jennifer-density intensified.

I like that Oregon is more popular than Stanford, USC, or UCLA in California. Also that the colors are really hard to tell apart.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Dr. Tough posted:

I like that Oregon is more popular than Stanford, USC, or UCLA in California. Also that the colors are really hard to tell apart.

Yeah, I can't tell if UCLA or Florida is popular in the Northeast and Appalachia.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

We just beat LSU and we'll be back in the top 25 before too long too, as the rest of the schedule is Mizzou and a bunch of clown teams.

I like how in these maps Issaquena County is always unaccounted for, because there are like 200 people in the whole thing.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

I feel bad for the schools that aren't even the most popular in the counties in which they are located.

jzilla fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 21, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jb7 posted:

I feel bad for the schools that aren't even the most popular in the counties in which they are located.

Keep in mind that's of ranked teams, if it was a more recent poll like this week you'd probably see Texas Tech in the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico area.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tough posted:

California, at least in my experience, doesn't care at all about College football, so the local teams get little love. I still don't understand its mechanics at all, and never have. We're much more into baseball, football, or basketball.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

jb7 posted:

Northwestern has probably earned a pass, because its campus is in the same county as Chicago.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

Keep in mind that's of ranked teams, if it was a more recent poll like this week you'd probably see Texas Tech in the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico area.

Of course. I'm talking about TCU, Northwestern, Oregon State, and maybe Clemson?

jzilla fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 21, 2013

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Teams drop in and out of the top 25 every week and that map's at least 4 weeks out of date.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Just like in the NFL map that was posted in hear a while back Montana needs to get its poo poo together.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

stereobreadsticks posted:

Just like in the NFL map that was posted in hear a while back Montana needs to get its poo poo together.

Montana is very organized compared to Illinois, which just goes nuts once U of I goes out the window.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

DarkCrawler posted:

What's Northern Ireland then?
I always think of Ireland as being a parrot in flight, with Northern Ireland as the beak.

One of the weirdest things about that map, though, is that it's got Manchester roughly where Leeds is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

stereobreadsticks posted:

We just want the Bobcats to be ranked highly enough to make this map :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Skeleton Jelly posted:

It seems to me that names in media actually follow current naming trends rather than precede. Emma had been steadily gaining in popularity since 1978. The popularity of Isabella has much more to do with the increasing Hispanic population than with "Twilight". On a similar note, Jacob has been the most popular name for boys since 1999, long before "Twilight". Going back to Jennifer, the name had been gaining in popularity since at least 1938, and was already the 3rd most popular name the year before "Love Story" came out. http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/