Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

13 INCH DICK posted:

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Oh my. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This better be the new thread, 13.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

InitialDave posted:

It's too low for my tastes, but this guy's done an imgur album of his VW rebuild:
http://imgur.com/a/UtT3E/layout/blog

Bonus: Pucker!

It's so adorable :3:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

I raced against this in a chump car race a few years ago

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
As winter has decided it may come early this year, everyone is getting their classics out for one more ride:

Didn't take a photo, but right next to this Chrysler sedan was a PT Cruiser (that was parked at a lovely angle, too). It's like the Great Grandfather and his estranged grandson.

Plate frames state this is a 1930. If I wasn't so against trying to take photos while driving, I would've also nabbed the two Model Ts driving together on my way home.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I was at the Concours D'Elegance in Manhasset today, my pictures should be here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101223105882819.1073741828.1819588&type=1&l=8cf61119ee

Highlights include the best in show winning Mercedes 300SL with the nicest owner, a quartet of Morgan 3-wheelers (although Alex Roy was nowhere to be found), Jim Glickenhaus' race car (which is glorious), a real live Citroen 2CV and a motherfucking Porsche 959 in person, in America.

Sorry if the quality on some of them is a bit lovely, but we lost the lens cap and didn't realize how much dirt was on it until we got home and looked at the pictures.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Looks like a special 9000 - what am I looking at?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Saw this today, love it

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I would drive that at WOT everywhere every day. Best Fiero ever.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like another decent car-build album on Imgur. B18-engined Mini, anyone?

Build pictures here.

Also:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Nostrum posted:

Got a canoe? Got a Miata? No problem!

Thats how I carry my kayak. Didnt think id ever see some one doing the same.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
The first pic looks like a photoshop, but it's real:

:black101:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I really hope that is built better than appearances indicate. And why does it have series front doors and (original?) defender rear doors? And mirrors and lights badly fitted in random places. If you need that much space just buy a sprinter 4x4 or transit county, because surely that thing is a dog in 90% of off-road situations, and all road ones.

Although it is loving crazy, wonder what the wheelbase is?

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I love this to absolute death.

This car has been through a few hands the last couple years and it is pretty amazing. I know I saw it on ebay a year or so ago then it popped back up on Bringatrailer this summer for something like 20 grand. Here was a travel blog the previous owner did when he sold the car to a collector in Florida, has a few more pictures of the car & mini bike:

http://www.carchaeology.com/citytrip.htm

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

stump posted:

I really hope that is built better than appearances indicate. And why does it have series front doors and (original?) defender rear doors? And mirrors and lights badly fitted in random places. If you need that much space just buy a sprinter 4x4 or transit county, because surely that thing is a dog in 90% of off-road situations, and all road ones.

Although it is loving crazy, wonder what the wheelbase is?

I found it randomly. Here is his blog:

http://hillwithfields.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/more-recognizable-now-roofrack-and-painting/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

This car has been through a few hands the last couple years and it is pretty amazing. I know I saw it on ebay a year or so ago then it popped back up on Bringatrailer this summer for something like 20 grand. Here was a travel blog the previous owner did when he sold the car to a collector in Florida, has a few more pictures of the car & mini bike:

http://www.carchaeology.com/citytrip.htm

Guy is a goof ball but his Facebook is a treasure trove of :iamafag:

https://www.facebook.com/Carchaeology

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Pretty sure these go here. Ronal Bear wheels, converted to 3 piece.

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 21, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I would eagerly await the glorious fireball-related death i'd surely suffer driving that thing. Looks like a total riot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I knew a guy with a Nissan safari built this way, wish I had taken some pictures. He had a Gandalf beard and nine children.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It gets points for not being painted green with loving biohazard trefoils as some sort of fantasy zombie hunting vehicle.

What's it actually meant for?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's a fairly rich bloke who lives near my house who occasionally has open days for his gardens and car collection. I had not been there before, until last weekend, and I knew he had some cars, but not the the extent he has here. The first few cars I think were other people's cars, but the ones in the garage are his:

Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 346

Jaaaaaag

57 Chevy

3.8 Jaaaaaaag

Peugeot 403

Reliant Rialto. It looked familiar, and now I remember where I saw it before, outside a car museum in July

Rover 75

MGA with a MGB GT next to it

Ferrari 328

Motor of said Ferrari

1896 Benz. It is an original, the owner never buys replicas

1903 Oldsmobile Curved Dash

1903 Peugeot

1914 Fiat

1907 Renault

1922 Unic Taxi (French)

1924 Vauxhall 30/98

MG TD which has been modified into a racer. It has a cute supercharger on the front

1927 Bentley 4lt Sports Saloon

The prized car of the bunch - 1936 Mercedes Benz 540K. Originally owned by Dr. Ernst Heinkel, the head of Heinkel Aircraft. The car was brought into Australia in the late 80s, however the person who imported it lied on the import paperwork about its value, so Australian Customs took it off his hands. The current owner spent over $1million getting the car back to its original condition. These days he drives it in ANZAC parades with WW2 diggers in the back of it.

1936 Riley Kestral. Well known for having the one brake cable which ran around the parameter of the car for all the brakes. Of course when the brake cable snapped...

1927 Bugatti Type 35c. The owner (who is 82 years old) still races this car! All original, and sounds amazing when fired up.

The owner is the bloke on the left hand side in the white polo top

Another photo of the massive Mercedes

Album: http://imgur.com/a/gQ0Mr

You Am I fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 22, 2013

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
My mother texted me some photos of a "cool car" she saw this weekend. Turns out to be an extremely rare (around 300 made) 1941 Hupmobile Skylark. The owner was in his late 70's and just had the interior and exterior redone. The paint is from an early 2000's Lexus and the interior seems to have some resto-mod stuff done. He had no idea how rare the car was until I told my mother, who then relayed it to him. He immediately got sad for repainting it since it probably took some of the value off the car. If it was original paint, he probably took a lot of the value off, but with around 300 cars made ever, I think it'll take a lot to really hurt the value that much.

Please excuse the quality of photos. They came from my mom's iphone and she probably didn't know I'd be posting them to the internet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Custom Internationals still in use for a safari company in Africa.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 22, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Looking at those old cars from the turn of the century makes me think of how much fun it would be to take Karl Benz and his contemporaries for a spin in a modern supercar.* :getin:

*Or hell, even in a CVT Versa for that matter. :v:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Sudo Echo posted:

Saw this today, love it

I own a 93 S4 myself, and I absolutely love seeing these cars being taken care of. I'm thinking that car has the fancy Stromung exhaust too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7d0Lm_31BE

That steering wheel is completely amazing.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 22, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

KozmoNaut posted:

That steering wheel is completely amazing.

It's certainly...something.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

You Am I posted:

Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 346

Huh, my neighbor has one that looks almost like this (except green and in not-excellent condition). It's broken :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

You Am I posted:

Cool poo poo

That's an amazing collection, I'm guessing its in Victoria from the plates? Pity it's a bit far from us, having to take an enforced road trip away from the Blue Mountains tomorrow and it would have been neat to have something like that within a day's travel!

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You Am I posted:

1907 Renault

:what:

That is all I see when looking at that car.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 22, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Previa_fun posted:

Looking at those old cars from the turn of the century makes me think of how much fun it would be to take Karl Benz and his contemporaries for a spin in a modern supercar.* :getin:

I think if you even showed them something like an SLS AMG Black they'd fall comatose on the spot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Reminds me of Be Kind Rewind

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

So the P1 is faster than a Veyron in the 1/4 mile, which is to say nothing about their relative performance on a road course!

http://wot.motortrend.com/first-mclaren-p1-delivered-to-customer-0-62-mph-in-2-8-seconds-418305.html#photos

BoostCreep posted:

My mother texted me some photos of a "cool car" she saw this weekend.

I'm so glad that the billet fad that spawned that wheel is mostly over. Yegch.

Previa_fun posted:

Or hell, even in a Honda Insight. :angel:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Vigo327 posted:

So the P1 is faster than a Veyron in the 1/4 mile, which is to say nothing about their relative performance on a road course!

Apparently it just did the ring in 6.47 which if verified, is stupid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2CHtZZFTDY

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113102264797/mclaren-p1-laps-nurburgring-in-647---report-video

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 22, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Grumpy owns

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

So, right around the 27 second mark where he puts a back wheel on a dusty curb and the engine rpm flares, my default interpretation was "low traction, tirespin, rpm goes up, sure". But after a second i thought wait a minute, no way this kind of machine would allow that. It almost certainly was the stability control system asking for more power to put through the other wheels in such a way to keep the thing going where it was pointed. That kicked it up to "drat, that's awesome" in my head. What do you think, am i right or wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Vigo327 posted:

So, right around the 27 second mark where he puts a back wheel on a dusty curb and the engine rpm flares, my default interpretation was "low traction, tirespin, rpm goes up, sure". But after a second i thought wait a minute, no way this kind of machine would allow that. It almost certainly was the stability control system asking for more power to put through the other wheels in such a way to keep the thing going where it was pointed. That kicked it up to "drat, that's awesome" in my head. What do you think, am i right or wrong?

I think what your seeing there is the active torque vectoring rear diff doing its job when hitting a wet patch. McLaren calls this "Brake Steer" So yes your right. Although it seems like it would take some balls to trust it and not over counter.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 22, 2013