Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

I just want GOG to go all out and grab a bunch of FMV games: Darkseed, Harvester, Synnergist, A Fork in the Tale, Phantasmagoria 2, Starfleet Academy and A Final Unity, and Night Trap among others. The live action FMV game must make a comeback!

I have not heard of this

quote:

In Synnergist the player takes the role of Tim Machin, an ambitious young journalist forced by cruel circumstances to work for a trashy tabloid newspaper. Set in the year 2010, the game puts the player on the streets of New Arhus—a city of extremes, crammed with both cutting edge technology and the decaying remnants of a once proud past. Very soon, Tim finds himself on the trail of a sinister force that appears to be connected to the crime and killing...

but I must play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

al-azad posted:

I just want GOG to go all out and grab a bunch of FMV games: Darkseed, Harvester, Synnergist, A Fork in the Tale, Phantasmagoria 2, Starfleet Academy and A Final Unity, and Night Trap among others. The live action FMV game must make a comeback!

Phantasmagoria 2 is already on GOG and just as horrible as ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

macnbc posted:

You know you have a problem when you own so many games you don't even remember buying half of them. Every time a sale comes up I get excited then go "oh" because half of it is grayed out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

al-azad posted:

You know you have a problem when you own so many games you don't even remember buying half of them. Every time a sale comes up I get excited then go "oh" because half of it is grayed out.

Welcome to my world.

I was thinking about getting that new Arma Tactics on Steam, but given that the other Arma games are on GOG, I'm fighting the temptation in hopes that GOG will get it. Has anyone played that? As I've gotten older I've kept my fondness for tactical/strategic games, but I've progressively lost my youthful passion for real-time games and developed a huge preference for turn-based ones - I must not be as quick as I was - and am always on the lookout for more.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

macnbc posted:

It might be a terrible game, but it's bar none my absolute favorite b-movie.

There's a lot to love about it. (The plot, the bad wigs, the goofiness intermingled with some genuinely effective scenes of horror, Trevor...)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

macnbc posted:

On the sale this weekend: Anyone have thoughts on Richard & Alice?

It's pretty basic, but the story's alright. Get it as cheap as you can though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I watched This Week on GOG for like the first time and they gave a hint for the next game to be released, at the 3:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efb0c_Bxftg

Could it be Rune?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rune's already on Steam and it works fine, so I hope not. Probably the likeliest candidate, though, unless it's something really obscure like Heimdall.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Rune's already on Steam and it works fine, so I hope not. Probably the likeliest candidate, though, unless it's something really obscure like Heimdall.
Are you sure? I can't recall Rune being on GoG. Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with Enclave?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Are you sure? I can't recall Rune being on GoG. Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with Enclave?

I didn't say it was on GOG. I said it was on Steam? It's probably likely to be the game teased by GOG in that video.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It miiiight be Heimdall because that's Core Design/Eidos and the intro has that flowery poetic narration but the murky video they showed could very well be Rune. I really don't know.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

Welcome to my world.

I was thinking about getting that new Arma Tactics on Steam, but given that the other Arma games are on GOG, I'm fighting the temptation in hopes that GOG will get it. Has anyone played that? As I've gotten older I've kept my fondness for tactical/strategic games, but I've progressively lost my youthful passion for real-time games and developed a huge preference for turn-based ones - I must not be as quick as I was - and am always on the lookout for more.

Everything I've seen about ArmA Tactics indicates it's a complete buggy mess, so you may want to watch out and just keep playing Jagged Alliance II or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

It miiiight be Heimdall because that's Core Design/Eidos and the intro has that flowery poetic narration but the murky video they showed could very well be Rune. I really don't know.

Heimdall looked great, but it was never a particularly good game. And I'm not sure this one mini-game would be viewed in a positive light today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk9T4KC6eBs

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm. Is there a known bug in Privateer that Roman Lynch does not pay you the full 20,000 credits he promises on one of his missions, possible the cousin transporting one?

Also, I'm now doing missions for the librarian guy on Oxford. About to go kill a group of mercenaries. How far along into the main storyline is this?

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Welcome to my world.

Arma Tactics is pretty terrible. The camera is a mess and it's very hard to tell what's cover from where. The game also doesn't give you enough information bout enemies and your abilities to make playing easy. It plays like a really bad version of XCOM, it even has the two actions in one turn thing. However in AT, it doesn't tell you how far one move is or any such info so you waste turns constantly. I don't think overwatch worked very well either.

I bought it and played it for something like an hour on Android and it was terrible there, with touchscreen controls making characters run everywhere when I wanted to move the camera. The PC version is probably better but just play XCOM, the two games play similar enough but there's so much more to XCOM. You can't even name your troops in Arma Tactics.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SSJ Reeko posted:

Arma Tactics is pretty terrible. The camera is a mess and it's very hard to tell what's cover from where. The game also doesn't give you enough information bout enemies and your abilities to make playing easy. It plays like a really bad version of XCOM, it even has the two actions in one turn thing. However in AT, it doesn't tell you how far one move is or any such info so you waste turns constantly. I don't think overwatch worked very well either.

I bought it and played it for something like an hour on Android and it was terrible there, with touchscreen controls making characters run everywhere when I wanted to move the camera. The PC version is probably better but just play XCOM, the two games play similar enough but there's so much more to XCOM. You can't even name your troops in Arma Tactics.

Sad to hear it, but thanks for the mini-critique. I really enjoyed Silent Storm + expansion and am looking for something in the same vein, with the key aspect being turn-based. I'll grab XCom next time it's a tenner somewhere. Mind you, if ArmaTac ever ends up on a special sale on GOG for 60%-80% off or whatever, I'm sure that I'll chance it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

Sad to hear it, but thanks for the mini-critique. I really enjoyed Silent Storm + expansion and am looking for something in the same vein, with the key aspect being turn-based. I'll grab XCom next time it's a tenner somewhere. Mind you, if ArmaTac ever ends up on a special sale on GOG for 60%-80% off or whatever, I'm sure that I'll chance it.

Just to double check, you have played Jagged Alliance II, right? Because if you haven't you should.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I loving hate Lynn Murphey's second mission. gently caress this poo poo. Come on Privateer be fun again please.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

The GOG Twitter just posted the boxart for Rune, so... there you go.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just to double check, you have played Jagged Alliance II, right? Because if you haven't you should.

Like maaaaany other things, it's in my backlog.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

The GOG Twitter just posted the boxart for Rune, so... there you go.

That's great. Rune is an awesome game and Steam's version runs perfectly, a DRM-free version is great for lan parties as the MP is really fun.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Well Dark Matter got pulled off, but I'm actually looking to get it, so if someone has a gog code or something (i really doubt it) I'll buy it :)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

GOG people, Privateer crashes occur most frequently during intense combat, with a bunch of ships and when taking damage. Either everything freezes (while music continues) or it dumps you back to DOS (thereby shutting down the program). And that's a thing. Anyone who wants a save game to check it out for whatever reason, let me know. I'm so deep in the game now and it's fucken annoying.

Would GOG actively work on such an old and relative small title to try improve stability?

Is there any way to get save states working in GOG's version of Privateer/DOSBox because I really can't be hosed with this mission anymore. I hope I'm getting closer to the end of this war of attrition style missions. They send wave after wave of ace enemies at you, and you have to fight them in asteroid fields, and it's two systems away from the base, and it's loving frustrating. But I'm determined to complete this game now.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 23, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

LastCaress posted:

Well Dark Matter got pulled off, but I'm actually looking to get it, so if someone has a gog code or something (i really doubt it) I'll buy it :)

Good bloody grief - they pulled a game not a week after it came out. Is that some kind of record? I would genuinely love to know what silliness prompted that.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

The developers couldn't finish the game with the funds they had, their kickstarter failed, and somewhere along the line they got a publisher, who likely pressured them to just release what they had.

The game's not finished, pretty much.

Your First Sim
Oct 21, 2008

WHY DID YOU KILL ME

JustJeff88 posted:

Good bloody grief - they pulled a game not a week after it came out. Is that some kind of record? I would genuinely love to know what silliness prompted that.

Basically, the game ended in a rather abrupt manner because they ran out of money during development. This has caused a lot of bad PR, and the developers pulled it from GOG and steam to avoid further backlash.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JustJeff88 posted:

It was kinda being sold as a pre-order, and... well, the company fired everybody and now it ends up that what you see is what you get, ain't no more coming. Apparently the game has no ending, among other issues.

Steam pulled it too, people were demanding refunds in huge numbers, so... yeah.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-matter-pulled-from-steam-as-game-has-no-ending/1100-6415709/

Sounds like some people were mislead into thinking they were getting all the episodes instead of just the first one, and now that no more are coming... welp.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/21/4862668/failed-kickstarter-campaign-to-blame-for-dark-matters-ending

Haha, here's the ending (spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPS_GGhMqk That's bad. :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 23, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It was kinda being sold as a pre-order, and... well, the company fired everybody and now it ends up that what you see is what you get, ain't no more coming. Apparently the game has no ending, among other issues.

Steam pulled it too, people were demanding refunds in huge numbers, so... yeah.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-matter-pulled-from-steam-as-game-has-no-ending/1100-6415709/

Sounds like some people were mislead into thinking they were getting all the episodes instead of just the first one, and now that no more are coming... welp.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/21/4862668/failed-kickstarter-campaign-to-blame-for-dark-matters-ending

Haha, here's the ending (spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPS_GGhMqk That's bad. :colbert:

There was never actually anything that said the game would be episodic.

Honestly, I don't think it deserved to be pulled. It was a lovely move to release a game in that state but it's far from the worst offender.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Wow, I had no idea. I picked it up on a whim because I was in the mood for something metroidvania-y.

Oh well, I've spent $13.49 or whatever it was on worse things. Maybe it will make a good conversation point someday.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

JustJeff88 posted:

Like maaaaany other things, it's in my backlog.

If you're after something turn-based and tactics-y that you can sink teeth into, move JA2 to the top of your to-play list. Neither new nor super flashy but it's pretty much the pinnacle of the genre.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

spider wisdom posted:

If you're after something turn-based and tactics-y that you can sink teeth into, move JA2 to the top of your to-play list. Neither new nor super flashy but it's pretty much the pinnacle of the genre.

Duly noted, and thanks for the recommendation. Arma Tactics has a demo on Steam, so I can see how rubbish it is for free if I feel the need.

Edit: Actually, cartoony as they are, I've been really keen to properly sink my teeth into the Advance Wars games. I have all 4 that were released in North America, but I've never really given them my full attention. The first one is very... gimicky? (is that a word?) and requires a lot of exploiting dodgy AI in scenarios where the odds are hopelessly stacked against you while Dual Strike is rather questioningly balanced with too much emphasis on CO powers, but AW2 and Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict are rock-solid, though the latter takes a very serious, gritty turn compared to the three previous iterations of the series.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 24, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I was browsing and noticed that they have Empire Earth Gold. Is there any difference from the non-GOG version? I have the game and it does this weird stuttering thing sometimes that lasts about 30 seconds. If the GOG release fixes that, I'll have to buy it.

Also I can't help but laugh that they are charging more for Empire Earth 2 and 3 :lol: Goddamn those games sucked.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cannot Find Server posted:

I was browsing and noticed that they have Empire Earth Gold. Is there any difference from the non-GOG version? I have the game and it does this weird stuttering thing sometimes that lasts about 30 seconds. If the GOG release fixes that, I'll have to buy it.

Also I can't help but laugh that they are charging more for Empire Earth 2 and 3 :lol: Goddamn those games sucked.

I'm sorry, what? Empire Earth 2 was fantastic.

3 is the only one that genuinely sucked.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Empire Earth was fantatistic, but I never played 2 and 3. What was wrong with them?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Are the finished parts of Dark Matter any good? Someone mentioned it was like Dead Space 2.5D which sounds cool

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cannot Find Server posted:

Deakul posted:

I'm sorry, what? Empire Earth 2 was fantastic.

3 is the only one that genuinely sucked.

100% agree on both counts. Do not besmirch the honour of EE2, Sir Goon, or you'll have to tilt with me and possibly a few others. On the other hand, yes, EE3 was appalling. I remember playing it for the first time and being genuinely shocked, horrified and sickened about how bad it was after just 10 or so minutes of play.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Maybe I'll give EE2 another shot if I ever find my discs, but I remember being disappointed by it. It didn't seem as (and I hate using this word) 'epic' as the first EE game. Then again I also play Empire Earth in a very slow, calculated manner where a normal game takes like 15 hours, so maybe EE2 just doesn't lend itself to that style. Or maybe I was just so entrenched in the first game, I dunno.

At least we can all agree with EE3 though. I don't think those guys ever played Empire Earth because that game could not have missed the point of Empire Earth any more than it did.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Empire Earth is great if you've never played Rise of Nations, I guess.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I've played a whole lot of both and they're both great, but they really aren't comparable beyond being RTS games that take place through history. Gameplay wise, they just aren't very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thompsons posted:

Empire Earth is great if you've never played Rise of Nations, I guess.

Both of them are pretty different.

Empire Earth is 100x slower than RoN which felt like Quake for RTS players to me.