Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I love Supertraining so much I wrote a guide about it!

quote:

What's Super Training?
Super Training is a new feature introduced in Pokemon X/Y that allows your Pokémon to improve in specific stats. Up until now, the elusive Effort Values (EV for short) were always shrouded in mystery, but with Super Training, you can not only keep track of them, but also distribute them correctly much faster than ever before. By using Super Training, you can easily buff your Pokemon to be the best it can. Why, it could even play in the big leagues!

Why should I use Super Training?
As said before, Super Training helps your Pokémon to grow stronger. Ever since Generation 3, Pokemon had EVs, hidden values, designed to make the same Pokemon more different from each other. Any Pokemon could hold up to 510 EVs, which it would gain by fighting specific Pokemon; Relicanth would give your Pokemon EVs in HP, while beating a Machoke will score you EVs for your Attack stat. This became a huge and essential factor in competitive Pokémon. By fighting specific Pokémons, competitive trainers could precisely control where every EV would drop, but it always a huge, time-consuming pain.
With Super Training, you can effectively and efficiently control where you want your EVs to go, without the hassle of running from 2 out of 3 Pokémon, and that a hundred times faster. Long story short, Super Training makes it easier for competitive players to train their Pokémon while introducing newcomers to the wonderful world of optimizing your 'Mons without any of that tedious numbercrunching. Everybody wins.

Sounds great, how do I use it?
You unlock Super Training almost instantly, even though the game doesn't really tell you about it. When you're outside a battle, press the L- and R buttons or tap the triangles at the top right of the bottom screen until you get to Super Training.
Super Training consist of two parts: Core Training and the Training Regimens. While Training Regimens will be your main way to toughen your Pokémon, let's look at the former first. In Core Training, you can take a look at your Pokémons' EV distribution, while one of them will be tackling a punching bag. It will attack it automatically over time, although you can speed up the pummeling by tapping the screen. Occasionally, while punching, your Pokemon will find a special Punching Bag, which can have unique effects – some might improve your performance in the following training regimen, while others can give you EVs right away. Neat!
In the Training Regimens, you'll be playing a Space Harrier-like minigame that, when won, will give you some EVs and a Punching Bag. There are 6 different Regimens, each improving a different stat, and 3 levels of difficulty. The more difficult levels are practically impossible to beat at first, but get easier as training progresses and yield more EVs. After giving a Pokemon full EVs, you will unlock new Regimens in which you can win cool items such as a Dusk Stone!

This is taking forever! Is there a faster way to do this?
Seeing the bar fill so very very slowly can be discouraging, but with the right method, you can turn your Pokémon into a fighting machine in no time. First of all, make sure to reset your EVs with a Reset bag, which you can find randomly by beating up the default bag. Should you find one when you aren't training, don't throw it away! You never know when you'll need it. After that, remember: No fighting. As long as your trainee is in your team, don't go fighting someone, as the EXP Share will also distribute EVs. You can train as much as you want to before resetting, but when you continue fighting before finishing the Super Training, you'll just waste perfectly good EVs. There are items that can remove EVs, but they're much more tedious to get to, and only clear one EV at a time.
Next up, prioritize. Small Punching Bags will give you only 1 EV, whereas Medium nets you 4 and the Large ones 12 points. Keep the latter two, but discard the small ones – they're not worth your time. The same goes for the minigame – the level 1 and 2 regimens just won't cut it – only the level 3 regimens give us EVs fast enough. However, since your 'Mon will be too weak to even survive out there, you'll want to grind for Punching Bags by taking a fully trained Pokémon and giving them to the Pokémon in question. Sure, the EVs gained through the minigames will be wasted, but a fully trained Pokemon can clear any regimen in under 30 seconds, so you'll have a bunch of large bags in no time.
Once your trainee has pummeled enough bags to fill the bar by 25% or so, it should be prepared to take up Super Training by itself. A good idea is to collect strength bags so you'll have an easier time clearing the game in less than 2 minutes, which is just good enough for us. You should also train an offensive stat first, since it will make things considerably easier. At this point, all you have to do is beat the regimen until you can't carry any more bags, then use up said bags. Strength and Double Up are always welcome, but Swiftness and Toughness are useless at this point – discard on sight. After a while, you should have maxed out your stat, so you're halfway there! All you now need to do is repeat the process on a second stat – which should be much easier now that your trainee actually packs a punch – and you're done! Much easier and more convenient than in any Gen before, wouldn't you agree?

Any more tips?
As said before, it's important to prioritize your bags. Small bags go out of the window no question, while medium bags can go unless you're currently training a Pokemon for the respective stat. It's a good thing to hold onto large bags in case you'll need to train a Pokémon in the future, unless they're just taking up too much space. Sometimes you'll stumble upon Team Flare bags, which will make your 'Mon happy and let you beat up the next bag twice as fast, although sometimes they can become happy on their own. This isn't really too useful for medium bags, but it's nice to use them on a large one, and definitely helps out with a Reset Bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

:psyduck:

So what moves does it know that Iron Fist boosts?

...mach/bullet punch maybe?

Goddammit GF why are you so bad at this.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Can anyone give me a quick list of pokemon that can use stealthrocks in xy? Im trying to find a candidate for my team but it seems like a majority of them need the move from previous generations (through tutoring or TMs), leaving me with very little choices.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

horchata posted:

Can anyone give me a quick list of pokemon that can use stealthrocks in xy? Im trying to find a candidate for my team but it seems like a majority of them need the move from previous generations (through tutoring or TMs), leaving me with very little choices.

Only scumbags use Stealth Rock. :colbert:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Onix and Tyrunt learn it as level up moves off the top of my head.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

:psyduck:

So what moves does it know that Iron Fist boosts?

Hammer Arm and Sky Uppercut. I think that's it. It doesn't learn Mach Punch and I'm pretty sure Poison Jab doesn't get boosted.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

horriblePencilist posted:

Is there a TM for Hydropump?

Anyone?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

there is not

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

No.

Also, in regards to your super training guide, it might be good to suggest using vitamins like Protein and Carbos before you start training, just to give your Pokemon some EVs to start with and make the minigames go faster. And you can also mention that the EXP Share can be turned off and on at will.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

D is That Guy posted:

Yep. Pokemon safari. If you play while your friend is online, the Pokemon you catch can have their hidden ability.

Do they only have the hidden ability if they're actually online? That's vaguely annoying but I guess I can always pester people on IRC for a specific Pokemon.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

I don't think Hydro Pump has been a TM in any Pokemon game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Aurain posted:

The DLC is just going to add Misdreavus to the game.

Misdreavus and Misdreavus-themed clothing.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ Uh hell yeah. Pumpkaboo and Misdreavous DLC for Halloween, very much please.

Constable Lemon posted:

No.

Also, in regards to your super training guide, it might be good to suggest using vitamins like Protein and Carbos before you start training, just to give your Pokemon some EVs to start with and make the minigames go faster. And you can also mention that the EXP Share can be turned off and on at will.

Seeing how fast Super Training works, I feel like it's better to just sell vitamins. And for the EXP Share, it's a better idea to just store the Pokemon in training in a box because it'd be a waste to turn off EXP Share.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are TMs for Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire Blast, but not Hydro Pump despite being in relatively the same category. Kind of a shame.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I love Supertraining so much I wrote a guide about it!

I skimmed through your guide, so I apologize if I just missed this in it, but you should also point out that when any of your Pokemon have that smiling face energized state, they find bags via punching the default bag at a greatly increased rate. Also, punching a Team Flare Bag will keep that pokemon in an energized state for a very long time, unless you have that same pokemon punch a different non-default bag.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wow I just finished the Looker missions and how come the rest of the game couldn't of been like that? The plot was a hundred times more interesting due to them actually building on the characters within it where I still get Shauna and Serena mixed up because they're terrible.

More of that please, GF

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I skimmed through your guide, so I apologize if I just missed this in it, but you should also point out that when any of your Pokemon have that smiling face energized state, they find bags via punching the default bag at a greatly increased rate. Also, punching a Team Flare Bag will keep that pokemon in an energized state for a very long time, unless you have that same pokemon punch a different non-default bag.

I mentioned the smiling face at the end, but does it really increase the drop rate? I know it halves the amount of punches, but I was pretty sure it doesn't actually make you find more stuff.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Do they only have the hidden ability if they're actually online? That's vaguely annoying but I guess I can always pester people on IRC for a specific Pokemon.

Nope, you only have to be online at the same time once and that's it, Hidden Abilities permanently unlocked in their safari.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, just as a thought experiment. What if they added a new region, it even might be revisited Hoenn, complete with it's own Gym Challenge... but the thing is, it's all about Double Battles. Every single Gym is dual typed and trainers actually use strategies suited for double battles.

I'd for one be all for it. Since it's a new-post game area, you would have enough Pokemon to build a good team for this kind of match, and since it would be DLC, it would be optional.
What I'm saying is I just want Doubles to be more of a thing, instead of just a Battle Facility gimmick.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hey so if anyone's looking to EV train dudes but doesn't like Super Training and/or finds it too slow, you may be interested to know that infesting something with Pokerus, giving it a power item, and then conquering a horde gives you 50-60 EVs a pop.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I mentioned the smiling face at the end, but does it really increase the drop rate? I know it halves the amount of punches, but I was pretty sure it doesn't actually make you find more stuff.

In my experience, it sure seems like it does, but I admit I don't know it for certain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kikas posted:

So, just as a thought experiment. What if they added a new region, it even might be revisited Hoenn, complete with it's own Gym Challenge... but the thing is, it's all about Double Battles. Every single Gym is dual typed and trainers actually use strategies suited for double battles.

I'd for one be all for it. Since it's a new-post game area, you would have enough Pokemon to build a good team for this kind of match, and since it would be DLC, it would be optional.
What I'm saying is I just want Doubles to be more of a thing, instead of just a Battle Facility gimmick.

I would love this. I think double battles are way more interesting than single ones. Singles I see tend to be dominated by one pokemon just trying to sweep as much of the other team as possible, but that doesn't happen as much in doubles which are more hectic. If double battles got more attention in the main game more people would probably play them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kikas posted:

I love the alternate battle styles. Triple, rotation, double... Yes please! A whole region mainly of alternate battle styles would be amazing. I'm mostly a fan of rotation battles, personally.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hidden ability passing down worked fine with a Ditto and a Hidden male, but with a hidden male and normal female, it never works. What gives?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What pokecenter sells the vitamins?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I want a Hex Maniac hair option.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What pokecenter sells the vitamins?
The one near the fairy gym and the pokeball factory

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of sad but I would probably pay for DLC to take my stupid hat off

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks to Exp all, a number of the mon's that I was planning on taking to the E4 are really over-leveled. I've been trying to see the positive in this by taking the time to bench them and experiment with guys I otherwise would not have used.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'd quite like a Double-Battles-Only area. For everything Colosseum and XD got wrong, all doubles all the time was a great change of pace.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I never want to visit an old region sans story. I remember when Gold and Silver came out and I was so stoked that I could revist Kanto, but then you get there and it's practically gym-gym-gym-dialogue-gym-gym-gym-gym-gym.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Level Slide posted:

I would die of happiness if I could wear a Mismagius styled hat on my trainer.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
I would love to go to another region again, as long as it isn't Kanto. gently caress Kanto.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I want Pangoro to be good so bad but all evidence points to him being total garbage. Bad movepool, mediocre stats. Oh what could have been :smith:

There's a reason Pandas are endangered :v:

cutie
Oct 22, 2010
I'm trying to get a Skiddo egg with a male zangoose and female skiddo. According to the wiki they're both in the field egg group but the man says they don't like each other. What am I doing wrong or is the wiki wrong?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ They'll still breed, although slower. Only if the guy says that they play with other pokemon instead you'll know they can't breed.

Kikas posted:

I think it's more likely we'll see additional islands, similar to Fire Red and Leaf Green. An entire region seems too big for DLC, and if you'd cut stuff, people would complain it's not the complete experience – a new set of islands is more likely and can hold more variety. Still, I think we need more double battles. I love double battles.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Is passing on hidden abilities using a male parent + hidden ability and a ditto supposed to be a low chance, or not? I bred six Froakies like that and only one didn't have Protean. Small sample size, but still.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

A lot of the new pokemon this generation have lovely movepools, what gives game freak?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Raizor posted:

Is passing on hidden abilities using a male parent + hidden ability and a ditto supposed to be a low chance, or not? I bred six Froakies like that and only one didn't have Protean. Small sample size, but still.

I bred like a dozen eggs from a female Fennekin with Magician and a male Fennekin with Blaze, all of them had Blaze. Sometimes you just have poo poo luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is there a place where I can rename pokemon? I got a Japanese Wartortle (!!) from Wonder Trade and I'd like to rename it. I don't think I'll be able to use it until I beat the second gym since it's lv. 30, though.

Man, Wonder Trade is preeeeetty great. I've been unloading kinda garbage pokemon (which I'm starting to feel bad about), but I've gotten a Wartortle, Miltank, Kabuto and a Scyther so far. Plus a Mr. Mime :v:

• Locked thread