Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Slice got to be garbage with its recent update. I need a new package tracking app and since I can't think of any that work similar to Slice, I'm open to the ones that you input the tracking info manually I guess.

Get Pushover or Boxcar and use IFTTT: https://ifttt.com/recipes/69097 for Pushover, https://ifttt.com/recipes/74139 for Boxcar

e: or use it with SMS: https://ifttt.com/recipes/122145 or email: https://ifttt.com/recipes/110403

IFTTT really is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It should be noted that IFTTT isn't strictly an app. I've been using it for a few years for work related stuff before even realizing it had an app to create recipes. Maybe I'm just saying things are common knowledge, but just-in case anyone is here thinking it's an iOS-bound thing...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

It should be noted that IFTTT isn't strictly an app. I've been using it for a few years for work related stuff before even realizing it had an app to create recipes. Maybe I'm just saying things are common knowledge, but just-in case anyone is here thinking it's an iOS-bound thing...

It just got an app in the last few months.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Slice got to be garbage with its recent update. I need a new package tracking app and since I can't think of any that work similar to Slice, I'm open to the ones that you input the tracking info manually I guess.

I don't like the new changes either but the basic functionality is still there, you just have to add one more tap. I agree though the changes are pointless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

This latest discussion got me to log back into the account I created but never used.

Are any of you concerned about them having access to your entire digital identity? Wouldn't that make them a prime hacking target?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

This latest discussion got me to log back into the account I created but never used.

Are any of you concerned about them having access to your entire digital identity? Wouldn't that make them a prime hacking target?

What they share is kinda up to the service and how each connect works doesn't it? Like Dropbox for example, I have to put files in Public anyway for the recipe I'm using. Some accounts act like Facebook where they are giving limited access and you can deny it at any time. Your stuff is already all over a bunch of servers anyway so it's up to who you trust.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Bass Bottles posted:

In the Spotify app, you can skip songs by swiping the the album art to the left. This is great for when you want to skip songs without looking at the phone, such as when driving.

The default music app does not do this. Is there a different, easy way to skip songs that I've missed? Or maybe an alternate music playing app?

Cartunes does this

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is there a way to have my phone open my garage door? I might even be ok with purchasing some sort of bluetooth adapter deal if its not too crazy expensive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

Is there a way to have my phone open my garage door? I might even be ok with purchasing some sort of bluetooth adapter deal if its not too crazy expensive.

This guy hacked a way to open his garage with siri:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=25118

Not expensive, but you need some hacker knowhow to get it running.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Wadjamaloo posted:

Yes that market is exploding right now and all the media/service giants are jumping in on the craze. There are independent products that do this as well as packages you can buy that usually include other security features. But no, obviously you will not be able to just close your garage door without having some sort of device to receive a signal from your phone that it needs to be closed.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

This guy hacked a way to open his garage with siri:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=25118

Not expensive, but you need some hacker knowhow to get it running.

This becomes almost trivially easy if you use a PiFace…and you can even add reed or pressure switches to monitor other doors.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

In the Spotify app, you can skip songs by swiping the the album art to the left. This is great for when you want to skip songs without looking at the phone, such as when driving.

The default music app does not do this. Is there a different, easy way to skip songs that I've missed? Or maybe an alternate music playing app?

Car Tunes.

E: gently caress, didn't see there was another page.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I liked safari in iOS 2 - 6. Enough so that I've bought several devices. I hate the new swipe controls in ios7 safari, and googling doesn't show a way to turn them off. Is there a fast browser I can download similar to the old safari? Preferably with Adblock support.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there an app (or ifttt recipe) that will monitor a website (or a group of websites in my bookmarks) and notify me if the page updates or chances?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there a simple app for tracking personal, day to day spending and then have a look at some pretty charts on a web page so I can see, for instance, exactly what proportion of my income I am spending on anime?

I'm in the UK so can't use Mint - which seems to be the go-to recommendation for anything like this.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pissflaps posted:

Is there a simple app for tracking personal, day to day spending and then have a look at some pretty charts on a web page so I can see, for instance, exactly what proportion of my income I am spending on anime?

I'm in the UK so can't use Mint - which seems to be the go-to recommendation for anything like this.

I've always preferred Pageonce (Now check.me) to Mint anyway but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also US only. I clicked around on their page and didn't find anything saying it was but... yeah.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I will always recommend You Need a Budget for this forever. http://www.youneedabudget.com/

It has a month-long free trial, and it requires a computer to sync up to (and dropbox) but I love it. It's normally 60 bucks but it occasionally goes on sale for $15 on Steam, and if you do some of the live web-trainings you can maybe win a free copy.

I bought it when it was on sale but how much value I've gotten out of it in the last four months was honestly worth the 60 bucks.

They're also working on a full version of the program for iPad that won't require a computer, but who knows when that's gonna come out.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 21, 2013

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've been trying Spendee for day to day expense tracking. It's pretty new (it's a swishy, iOS 7 looking thing) and not too bad. There are a few annoyances which the developer says they are addressing in upcoming updates. Not sure if I'll stick with it myself (YNAB is tempting me as I'd find a Mac component super useful) but worth mentioning as a new-and-currently-being-developed addition to the category.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Move to the US, then use Mint.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Important detail: You Need A Budget does not have the capability to automatically import transactions.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Important detail: You Need A Budget does not have the capability to automatically import transactions.

But you can go to your bank website and download an ofx or qfx file and import them quite easily.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Liquid Penguins posted:

I liked safari in iOS 2 - 6. Enough so that I've bought several devices. I hate the new swipe controls in ios7 safari, and googling doesn't show a way to turn them off. Is there a fast browser I can download similar to the old safari? Preferably with Adblock support.

I assume you're talking about needing to do a flick down in order to bring the interface back after you've scrolled down? You can instead bring it back by tapping either the url or the very bottom of the page. The only other swipe controls I can think of are forward/back and closing tabs but those all have buttons associated with them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I installed a new budget app called level, haven't used it yet but the screenshots looked really clean and elegant.
I feel like mint and check have a lot if clutter.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It kind of goes against their whole mind set of money management in that they feel you should manually record transactions but yeah you can download quicken files through it pretty easily.

I think if you buy it from steam though they can't provide you the upgrade discount that they usually offer when you buy it from their site. Just something to think about.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Thankyou for your help everyone you've given me a lot to think about.

Together we will bring my anime addiction under control.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

I installed a new budget app called level, haven't used it yet but the screenshots looked really clean and elegant.
I feel like mint and check have a lot if clutter.

I have not used Level extensively, but I have been very impressed with everything I have seen from it. Straightforward set up with everything you need.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder what is so fundamentally different about our banking services that makes these apps (ones that link into your bank's records) so ubiquitous in the States whereas in the UK they're non-existent and you have to rely on your own bank's app to access anything.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
Is there currently any hidden emulators on the App Store?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder what is so fundamentally different about our banking services that makes these apps (ones that link into your bank's records) so ubiquitous in the States whereas in the UK they're non-existent and you have to rely on your own bank's app to access anything.

They're only ubiquitous in the USA because Mint, etc have gone to the effort of scraping online banking pages, etc. It's a tremendous, error-prone effort - it's not like American banks are providing nice OAuth delegated access or something.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Yeah. Mint routinely fails to scrape info from one of my big banks like Chase, then takes weeks to hammer out the issues.

Before Mint, there was Yodlee. It still exists, and I'm pretty sure it supports lots of banks across the pond. No real mobile app though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

oaok posted:

Is there currently any hidden emulators on the App Store?

It's very rare when that happens, and they usually only stay up for a few hours.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I bank with Simple, and it's the best experience I've ever had with any finance/banking app. It's basically Mint, except it's a bank. It's really, really nice and their customer service is loving amazing. If anyone wants to try it out, I think I have a few invites left.

e: US only, sorry.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'd like a simple invite, I sent you a PM

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

I bank with Simple, and it's the best experience I've ever had with any finance/banking app. It's basically Mint, except it's a bank. It's really, really nice and their customer service is loving amazing. If anyone wants to try it out, I think I have a few invites left.

e: US only, sorry.

I'd like one if you don't mind.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'd like to move to the US and then get a Simple invite, because gently caress First Trust bank and the bog-standard app they only finally launched this year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Event thread is open.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lexicon posted:

They're only ubiquitous in the USA because Mint, etc have gone to the effort of scraping online banking pages, etc. It's a tremendous, error-prone effort - it's not like American banks are providing nice OAuth delegated access or something.

That's a surprise I didn't realise it was just doing scraping. I guess it's just a case of it not being worth their time do UK banks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My bank usually isn't available on these banking apps. Mint and check just recently added supported for it and Level does not support it. I am a bit disappointing, I really wanted to give level a try.

Oh and Check only shows my checking account with the bank, it won't show the credit card I have with them.

VV I did.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 22, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wadjamaloo posted:

My bank usually isn't available on these banking apps. Mint and check just recently added supported for it and Level does not support it. I am a bit disappointing, I really wanted to give level a try.

Oh and Check only shows my checking account with the bank, it won't show the credit card I have with them.

Send a request to add it to the future support list. My credit union wasn't in there either but they sound pretty receptive for additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pissflaps posted:

That's a surprise I didn't realise it was just doing scraping. I guess it's just a case of it not being worth their time do UK banks.

Yeah. It's a horrible kludge that yields imperfect (though surprisingly good) data and is fraught with all sorts of worries about liability and security, even if you trust the intentions of everyone in the chain.

It's totally unnecessary, too. We already have standards and techniques for delegating revokable, read-only access to private data. But banks are lazy, hostile to their customers, and bad at technology. Ergo, Mint.

• Locked thread