Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

VelociBacon posted:

I have a d7k also, I thought the 18-55 was the kit lens

The D7000 has been sold boxed with the 18-55 that is standard on the lesser cameras, the 18-105, or the 18-200 for $200-ish more than the other two options. I would've preferred the 18-200, but :10bux: (I've seen it go for the same price as the others, but never when I had the money :argh: ) Medium-term plan is to get a Sigma 70-300 to cover the long end and then a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 (I miss using the paper's 17-35 f/2.8) and sell the 18-105.

Or maybe I'll offer the paper $50 for "my" broke-rear end 80-200, and buy replacements for the brokenest parts off eBay and attempt to fix it myself. I've fixed large-format shutters, it can't be that bad. I mentioned that to one of the guys; he said they probably won't sell it, since they need it for a backup for when their 70-200s are in the shop. Any of y'all have the 70-200? Is it as fragile as it seems, or is it my coworkers' fault? We have that old 80-200 that will not die despite being so hosed the repair shops won't touch it, yet the newer 70-200s are in the shop more than they're on a camera (they stop stopping down every three months or so).

Edit: I use a Canon strap (one time the Canon reps came to the university, and they brought swag), because the stock Nikon straps kinda suck. The Canon one has swivels and quick-release buckles! It's amusing when the kids with white lenses (literally; the high school yearbook shooters have better gear than I do) see it and try to start a conversation by asking what model the camera is, and then slowly back away horrified when they learn that it's a Nikon. Though I'm thinking of using my dad's ridiculous velvet '70s strap on the D7000, and donating the Canon strap to the newspaper.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

If I didn't spend literal hours at a time shooting in portrait orientation, I don't think I'd be nearly as attached to my battery grip. The extra batteries thing is cool and all, but I'm in it for the vertical shutter button.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It got here today. Fragmentary D7000 review, after shooting a football game with it: Weighs relatively nothing compared to the single-digit newspaper Nikons, even with the 80-200 f/2.8. Blows the D2H/X/Xs out of the water at high ISO; I kind of want to start taking the 80-400 to football, because ISO 25.6k on this thing is still better than 6400 on the D2 bodies I've been using. f/5.6 at night would be usable for print on this thing. 8-frame buffer on RAW/Large JPEG is the only downside.

D2Xs at ISO 6400:

1/320s f/2.8, underexposed and pumped in RAW

D7000 at 6400:

1/640s, f/4; to be fair, this is at a well-lit stadium and the other is one of the darkest, but not three stops' worth. I'll be going back to the dark stadium next week, so I'll get a better comparison then.

My specific one is so clean my SO was worried it was brand-new and stolen until I verified the odometer (6100-ish shutter clicks). Not only did it come with the original box, it had all the original plastic bags for everything.

I think I will be getting the battery grip, it's just too small and feels like it'll slip out of my hand without it. I'd go without on the slightly larger D300/700/etc, but the lil' DX000 ones really need the extra pinkie rest. (SO suggested carving a bit of wood to suit and bolting it on via the tripod mount, but the offbrand real thing's only $30.)

Protip I was just taught today: carry it on your shoulder with the lens inward, that way it hangs flat with the top against your hip instead of the bottom digging into your side, and the grip is where your hand naturally falls. I don't know if that's a well-known thing or not, but it's the first I've heard of it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 19, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

A Canon strap on a Nikon camera :catstare:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Deters theft.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

404notfound posted:

A Canon strap on a Nikon camera :catstare:

Like I said before, Nikon straps (at least the ones that come with the cameras) are too short and poorly-made, and the Canon strap was free. One day I'll get around to ripping out the embroidery.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 19, 2013

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Eegah posted:

Deters theft.
Preach brother.

Also, I want a D600 real bad, even though it's basically a D7000 (which i have) with a FF sensor. And with the D610, hopefully the prices will plummet to some dumb level.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Delivery McGee posted:

Like I said before, Nikon straps (at least the ones that come with the cameras) are too short and poorly-made, and the Canon strap was free. One day I'll get around to ripping out the embroidery.

Plus, its "grippy" material is awful. It's a very uncomfortable strap. When I upgraded to the D800 (which seems to have the same strap as the D7000) from the D200, I put the D200 strap on the D800. Even after seven years of use, it's still solid and comfortable.

I, too, was shocked at the high-ISO performance of the newer Nikons. With a fast lens, I can hand-hold shots that see more than I could with my own eyes. Technology is awesome, but I guess it comes at the cost of being able to fit halfway-decent straps in the budget.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Anyone that uses an OEM strap over a Domke Gripper is a monster.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
HAHAAH you guys and your heavy cameras that need neck-straps. HAHAHHAA :snoop: Mirrorless owns.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still use a shoulder strap on mirrorless stuff. Do you alway keep the camera in your hand or something?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, I guess you can go without a strap and just put it in a bag or pocket when you need to use your hands if you're a tourist or something.

Maybe it's just because I'm a photojournalist, but to me a camera tucked away in a bag is useless. My work bag doesn't even have room in it for my camera, just 2 lenses and accessories (small towel, hi-viz vest, notepad, etc).

vote_no posted:

I, too, was shocked at the high-ISO performance of the newer Nikons.
The real pro at the paper was there when I went in yesterday, and I let him play with my camera. He liked the kit lens. In his opinion f/5.6 is plenty fast when you've got decent ISO 25,600.

On the other hand, fast lenses are nice; at 25kISO and f/1.4 you can see in the dark. Or, y'know, shoot indoors with available light with reasonable shutter speeds and no sensor noise. Is there a reasonably-priced (under $300) lens faster than f/2.8 and shorter than 35mm? I love my superwides -- used a 28mm on my OM-1 and 17/18mm on all the DX Nikons. The Zuiko 50mm and Nikon 35mm f/1.8s are great, but I want something a bit wider.

Edit: 25.6k ISO is good enough for newsprint/web, and the bird is annoyed:

"gently caress you, mammal."

Edit: Colors are a bit off, at least on this monitor. In future I'll just use the middle eyedropper in Levels on his back. He's like a bitey gray card.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 20, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

On the other hand, fast lenses are nice; at 25kISO and f/1.4 you can see in the dark. Or, y'know, shoot indoors with available light with reasonable shutter speeds and no sensor noise. Is there a reasonably-priced (under $300) lens faster than f/2.8 and shorter than 35mm? I love my superwides -- used a 28mm on my OM-1 and 17/18mm on all the DX Nikons. The Zuiko 50mm and Nikon 35mm f/1.8s are great, but I want something a bit wider.

I'm not sure you'll find something really fast at that price range, but you can certainly get a Nikkor 24/2.8 for that, if nothing else an older AI-S lens. (Stick it at f/8, focus to hyperfocal, camera in A mode with auto-ISO, never touch any settings again.) But I think you should be able to find an AF-D 24/2.8 within that range too.

If you can scrape together the cash, however, check out Sigma's new 18-35/1.8 zoom. Wide-angle zoom at f/1.8, and supposedly it's actually really good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think I paid around $300 for my 28m f/2 AIS and it's a great lens. I know there's a 24mm f/2 AIS but no idea how much they run for or if they are any good. If you absolutely must have autofocus Sigma made a 20mm f1.8 but it wasn't very good and used copies run over $400 for some reason.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So I'm looking for a full-frame portrait lens. I've got the 85mm ƒ1.8 G, but I'm looking for something with a bit more throw, and ideally without such a restrictive focus distance. Auto focus is nice, manual is fine. I'd really want something with an aperture ring so that I could mount/adapt it to a future mirrorless camera (the A7r has me drooling at the moment).

So far, the big options I see are:
105 ƒ2.8 D Micro-Nikkor
105 or 135 ƒ2 DC Nikkor
105 ƒ1.8 AI-s Nikkor

The micro will get me super close and pull double-duty as a macro lens, but I hear some people griping about the bokeh when used in portraits — I haven't seen big problems with it, though.

The Defocus Control lenses sound great, but won't let you get too tight, and they tend to be a bit higher in the price scale.

The 105 ƒ1.8, monster that it is, looks great on paper, but seems to love a lot of sharpness and contrast when shooting wide open.

Anyone got any experience, thoughts, or examples to share?

thetzar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 20, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

20mm f1.8 but it wasn't very good and used copies run over $400 for some reason.
Because it's the only game in town?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

thetzar posted:

The 105 ƒ1.8, monster that it is, looks great on paper, but seems to love a lot of sharpness and contrast when shooting wide open.

Anyone got any experience, thoughts, or examples to share?

If you're willing to go manual, buy the 105/2.5 AI-s. Classic portrait lens, sharp as hell, great build quality, cheaper and lighter than the 105/1.8. I didn't really dislike the 105/1.8, but it was way big, and I usually kept it around f/4.

e: Seriously.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 20, 2013

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
You're all wrong.

(AF 85/1.8, 135/2 AI-S, AF 50/1.8)

I paid under $500. If you can't lug 2 kg worth of camera, you don't deserve to take good portraits.

(Oops, 100% of my posts in this thread are sniping about this lens. It's that good okay. See history for cat samples)

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 20, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wolf on Air posted:

You're all wrong.

I paid under $500. If you can't lug 2 kg worth of camera, you don't deserve to take good portraits.

(Oops, 100% of my posts in this thread are sniping about this lens. It's that good okay. See history for cat samples)

Non DC, Scrub. :toot:

Also, FM2 digital rumor with D4 guts, and will use Fmount. Eat poo poo Sony A7.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Musket posted:

My understanding it is just the D4 sensor, I saw that it was going to only be 5.5fps

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dread Head posted:

My understanding it is just the D4 sensor, I saw that it was going to only be 5.5fps

I hope it's going to be built by cosina like the FM10.

Might actually be worth getting then!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Musket posted:

I saw this post before checking my RSS reader. Man, what an interesting rumor. Let's see to what degree Nikon defensively gimps this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Goddammit, my D600 just died in the middle of shooting some video. It turns on bit displays the ERR code and I can't get into live view; the mirror is stuck and won't go back down. Any ideas for troubleshooting before I send this off for repair?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Musket posted:

So I should hold on to my fm2 just in case?

Wolf on Air posted:

You're all wrong.

Only a 50mm 1.8? Scrub. 1.4 for life.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Musket posted:

If this is true, I will die of happiness.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Oops, had auto distortion correct on. Off, I get 10 RAW or 15-33 Large JPEG in the buffer depending on quality. How much does JPEG quality matter? Everything I shoot is either for web or newsprint, so RAW is really superfluous with this camera; I can nail the exposure and fix it up with levels in Photoshop (the D2 I had to shoot RAW to push it).

For artsy stuff I'll still use RAW of course, to be able to tweak it, but how much JPEG compression can I get away with when shooting sports for the newspaper?

Somewhat related, 7+fps DSLRs (one of the D2 models had a "crop .75x and get 11fps" option -- great for baseball -- and soon we'll just be shooting video all the time and pulling stills from it, if print media are still around*) have kinda killed the whole "decisive moment" thing. Just hammer away and pick the moment later.

*it's possible now -- 1080p is near enough to the original D1's resolution.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 21, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Raw is never really superfluous regardless of where the image will be published.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Somewhat related, 7+fps DSLRs (one of the D2 models had a "crop .75x and get 11fps" option -- great for baseball -- and soon we'll just be shooting video all the time and pulling stills from it, if print media are still around*) have kinda killed the whole "decisive moment" thing. Just hammer away and pick the moment later.

*it's possible now -- 1080p is near enough to the original D1's resolution.

Enjoy going through your sports footage that's been shot with 1/50 shutter. Won't take long at all.

e: 50/1.2 or :getout:

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 21, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I think I paid around $300 for my 28m f/2 AIS and it's a great lens. I know there's a 24mm f/2 AIS but no idea how much they run for or if they are any good. If you absolutely must have autofocus Sigma made a 20mm f1.8 but it wasn't very good and used copies run over $400 for some reason.

Don't bother with the 24mm f/2 AIS. It runs for around $400-500 for a clean copy and is very soft, even stopped down. I thought I just got a bad copy at first, so I sold my first one and bought a second. Performance was the same. I keep it around because it's sharp enough for 1080p video in full frame, but don't buy it for photography.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

red19fire posted:

Only a 50mm 1.8? Scrub. 1.4 for life.
There's no perceptible IQ difference in the new Gs.

Mightaswell posted:

If this is true, I will die of happiness.
I'm the vainest person.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 21, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

There's no perceptible IQ difference in the new Gs.

I'm the vainest person.

Look at this scrub, shootin Gimped lenses. AIS 1.2 for lyfe :snoop:

FM2 rumor with D4 sensor and new Expeed engine announcement 1-3 weeks. If this rumor is untrue, soundmonkey will ban himself and everyone in the Mirrorless thread.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But will this "digital FM2" have mechanical shutter? Will it take film? Maybe it's more like DE2 then.
(Perhaps the "hybrid" thing they've mentioned actually means mechanical shutter. That would be interesting.)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
The rumour indicates that it will have a pentaprism so it will have a mirror (assuming this is true). If you remove the mechanical shutter are you adding any advantage at that point? A higher flash sync speed? Not sure what else.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Hybrid might refer to a hybrid viewfinder, otherwise I'll just chalk it up to "lost in translation"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My prediction is that its nothing hybrid about it. It's basically a D4 minus the expensive bits and make it smaller and fit them inside and metal FM2n body.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Maybe it'll have the option of running on gasoline :v:

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby

Dread Head posted:

The rumour indicates that it will have a pentaprism so it will have a mirror (assuming this is true). If you remove the mechanical shutter are you adding any advantage at that point?

It will look neat and go well with my fixie and giant novelty beard.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Jimmy Thief posted:

Lol scrub with a fixed gear. When will you learn that gears make sense brah.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Jimmy Thief posted:

If wanting a compact, metal, full frame SLR with knobs makes me a hipster, then so be it.

Also don't hipster-shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

soundmonkey will ban everyone in the Mirrorless thread.

Eventually, yeah.